Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I keep getting distracted by other stuff but I started Yakuza 4 a while back. Akiyama is cool but it feels weird to play a Yakuza game where you don't start out as my boy Kiryu

I like Akiyama when he’s a secondary character or a member of the team but I didn’t feel like he was epic enough for the protagonist role. His backstory from the events of Yakuza 1 is cool though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I like Akiyama when he’s a secondary character or a member of the team but I didn’t feel like he was epic enough for the protagonist role. His backstory from the events of Yakuza 1 is cool though

doesnt he fight a bear in five? i thought someone told me he kicks a bear's rear end

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

doesnt he fight a bear in five? i thought someone told me he kicks a bear's rear end

That’s the other guy who’s a protagonist in 4 and 5, who absolutely is epic enough for the lead role

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Akiyama is a great foil for Kiryu because he’s actually smart as hell and good at all the poo poo Kiryu is bad at.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah his backstory is cool and really informs his character

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fumaofthelake posted:

Akiyama is a great foil for Kiryu because he’s actually smart as hell and good at all the poo poo Kiryu is bad at.

Yeah I liked him a lot in 6 where that’s his whole role in the story. He’s cool in 5 too where he’s teamed up with another protagonist from the start and serves as like a mentor figure for them

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

starting to feel like a lot of my gaming goals for the year are going to go straight out the window in favor of me playing kiwami, kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. i guess we'll see how i feel after like 100 hours of 0.

Like a Dragon also joins FF7 Remake Part 2 and Final Fantasy 16 in the "maybe you eventually want to buy a PS5" category

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

starting to feel like a lot of my gaming goals for the year are going to go straight out the window in favor of me playing kiwami, kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. i guess we'll see how i feel after like 100 hours of 0.

Like a Dragon also joins FF7 Remake Part 2 and Final Fantasy 16 in the "maybe you eventually want to buy a PS5" category

speaking of ps5, dont forget:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo96SMJxSVc

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Yakuza ftw

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Yeah I liked him a lot in 6 where that’s his whole role in the story. He’s cool in 5 too where he’s teamed up with another protagonist from the start and serves as like a mentor figure for them

I also really like in 6 how they solidify that as good as he is, he can't keep the city in check like Kiryu.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

with mahjong i feel like i'm going to be buying tiles and trying to rope my friends into it before i'm done. i also still have to figure out pool and the batting cages. i'm afraid for karaoke

thats what i did when i first tried to play yakuza 0 a few years ago, mahjong is such a good game to play with friends

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Bicyclops posted:

with mahjong i feel like i'm going to be buying tiles and trying to rope my friends into it before i'm done. i also still have to figure out pool and the batting cages. i'm afraid for karaoke

I learned mahjong before yakuza but I now own a set of nice hanafuda and kabufuda (Koi Koi and Oicho Kabu) cards lol. You can get hanafuda cards easily online but for the kabufuda cards I imported them from Japan. The kabufuda card designs are just so cool that I needed them. It's well worth learning Koi Koi as it's a very fun game beyond how initially confusing it looks. I actually have a standalone steam game for it and play people online. I might write up a small guide if there's interest/I'm bored. You can make bank off it in Yakuza games.

I finished 3 last night, despite how jank and frustrating it can be I enjoyed it a lot. My main gripes were the main plot started off strong and then fell off a cliff, the combat is pretty poo poo and all the cool stuff is locked behind way too much XP, and how often you're attacked by enemies in town/how there's no radar for them. Oh and the no pausing during cutscenes is brutal. Overall though still really good and the Okinawa setting was a lot of fun, I'd like to see it return and be fleshed out in a later game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yakuza 0 is so good i think it changed me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff posted:

Lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

extremebuff posted:

congrats on your caberet club empire bob

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Bob going from playing only pixel art indie treasures to exclusively playing huge open world AAA games that take 80 hours to beat.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

extremebuff posted:

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

extremebuff posted:

This.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bob trying to assimilate into twitter life but he keeps getting dragged back to the forums...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

lol, but, the thing is: Bob hasn't changed at all, which is a good thing. No matter how long he's spent away from the IZ, Bob is Bob.

*ghostly howls of "Quake is back, baby!!", "Oh my God. The server is full. Holy poo poo." while never realizing he's playing vs bots echoing in the distance*

And for that I am grateful.

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
bob ftw

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol, but, the thing is: Bob hasn't changed at all, which is a good thing. No matter how long he's spent away from the IZ, Bob is Bob.

*ghostly howls of "Quake is back, baby!!", "Oh my God. The server is full. Holy poo poo." while never realizing he's playing vs bots echoing in the distance*

And for that I am grateful.

lmao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fungah!