Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
what are considered to be the best Phillip K Dick stories that have not been adapted to film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Most of his stories have huge liberties taken when they're adapted so honestly there are very few movies that I'd consider a faithful adaptation. We Can Remember It For You Wholesale is a short story that is really very different from Total Recall, its nominal adaptation. It's worth reading for its ending, which is one of the all time great endings that seems simultaneously the only possible ending and yet one you didn't see coming. Minority Report is different from its movie, in the movie there isn't even a minority report which is the entire crux of the short story and plays around with the notion of predestination much more than the film. And there's almost zero in common between Blade Runner and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

The first two are short stories and I'd generally recommend picking up a short story collection and going through them. That's his strongest format imo.

Other than that, Flow My Tears (novel) and Second Variety (novelette, might be found standalone in a thin volume or in a bigger compilation)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Can anyone recommend some sci fi similar to Shadow of the Torturer or Hyperion? I really enjoy the how the writing is just dense with metaphor, allusion and symbolism.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

regulargonzalez posted:

Most of his stories have huge liberties taken when they're adapted so honestly there are very few movies that I'd consider a faithful adaptation. We Can Remember It For You Wholesale is a short story that is really very different from Total Recall, its nominal adaptation. It's worth reading for its ending, which is one of the all time great endings that seems simultaneously the only possible ending and yet one you didn't see coming. Minority Report is different from its movie, in the movie there isn't even a minority report which is the entire crux of the short story and plays around with the notion of predestination much more than the film. And there's almost zero in common between Blade Runner and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

The first two are short stories and I'd generally recommend picking up a short story collection and going through them. That's his strongest format imo.

Other than that, Flow My Tears (novel) and Second Variety (novelette, might be found standalone in a thin volume or in a bigger compilation)

There's actually a Second Variety movie that's both true the story and not terrible, but you're right about them generally taking a small part of a story and going off in a different direction (see also: Knowing/The Golden Man) or just being terrible (Paycheck). Of course, many of them are so short that you'd have take liberties to get a full movie out of them; Service Call is right up there with We Can Remember... in that regard. That said, a few favorites that I don't believe have been adapted: The Variable Man, The Skull, The Electric Ant, The Days of Perky Pat (kind of an early draft of Palmer Eldritch), Faith of Our Fathers, The Father Thing, Colony, Shell Game (which became Clans of the Alphane Moon) and The Defenders (a better, shorter version of The Penultimate Truth).

evilpicard posted:

Can anyone recommend some sci fi similar to Shadow of the Torturer or Hyperion? I really enjoy the how the writing is just dense with metaphor, allusion and symbolism.

I hated/didn't finish it, but Delany's Dahlgren seems to be one of the go-to answers. If you haven't read Wolfe's The Urth of the New Sun and the Long Sun books, they rule, but I didn't like Blue and Green that came after.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

I'll second the Gene Wolfe books and also throw in a recommendation for Kushiel's Dart and its sequels, by Jacqueline Carey. It has a pretty mixed reception here but it's very literary by genre standards.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

TommyGun85 posted:

what are considered to be the best Phillip K Dick stories that have not been adapted to film?

Dr. Bloodmoney and Ubik off the top of my head (Flow My Tears was already mentinoed)

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Whoops, I read that as short stories and really got the bit in my teeth. So, yeah, I'd agree with Flow, My Tears... and Ubik and add Eye In the Sky and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I want some weird poo poo that is just teasing the edge of being impenetrable. I just finished The Age of Wire and String by Ben Marcus and while I loved some of it, the whole of the book was just a little too much into the realm of self indulgent nonsense and got very difficult to continue. So too weird. I want that book but back it off, say, 20%.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

evilpicard posted:

I don't really see how Hyperion meets any of those criteria but maybe you'd like RA Lafferty.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I want some weird poo poo that is just teasing the edge of being impenetrable. I just finished The Age of Wire and String by Ben Marcus and while I loved some of it, the whole of the book was just a little too much into the realm of self indulgent nonsense and got very difficult to continue. So too weird. I want that book but back it off, say, 20%.

Some of the French Nouveau Roman writers might appeal, maybe try one of JMG Le Clezio's earlier books like The Giants or The Book of Flights. Maybe some of Gertrude Stein's more abstract work like Tender Buttons as well.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

A human heart posted:

I don't really see how Hyperion meets any of those criteria but maybe you'd like RA Lafferty.

Some of the French Nouveau Roman writers might appeal, maybe try one of JMG Le Clezio's earlier books like The Giants or The Book of Flights. Maybe some of Gertrude Stein's more abstract work like Tender Buttons as well.

Very cool, thank you

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Greetings!

If anyone could kindly help me out that would be greatly appreciated, looking for the following suggestions:

underappreciated, under read books in the vein of Lovecraft/Rosemarys Baby/House of Leaves/Occult or Pagan/Summer of Night.

Non fiction history books on 18th century Europe

Books on the slave trade

Feminist literature.

Thank you so much and have a great weekend.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Death By The Blues posted:

underappreciated, under read books in the vein of Lovecraft/Rosemarys Baby/House of Leaves/Occult or Pagan/Summer of Night.
The Night Land, by William Hope Hodgson.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Greetings!

If anyone could kindly help me out that would be greatly appreciated, looking for the following suggestions:

American Elsewhere was so good and it’s very Lovecraft plus dark comedy.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Feminist literature.

Lust by Elfriede Jelinek is worth checking out. She has a very unique style and her Nobel was well deserved. I do have to warn you that themes and descriptions in the book are what some would call strong, so beware of that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Greetings!

Books on the slave trade

Feminist literature.

Seconding the Night Land recommendation but also try Ballad of Black Tom by Victor Lavalle and Winter Tide by Ruthanna Emrys. Also Algernon Blackwood's "The Wendigo."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Three Impostors by Arthur Machen.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Greetings!

Books on the slave trade

Feminist literature.

Mason & Dixon might cover all these bases.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
This is a reaaaally open ended question, so sorry in advance.

What are some books that's obviosuly better to have a physical rather than a digital copy of?

Stuff like House of Leaves, S, The raw shark texts, Dictionary of the Khazars, Rayuela, the unfortunates, anything version of a boook with maps (history of the peloponnesian war for example), flatland, stuff where illustrations are part of the appeal like le petit prince or Princess Bride. But you know, stuff you'd read, and not "coffee table" books such as collections of photograpy, 1001 movies to watch before you die, they Voynich manuscript or stuff like that.

Anything goes, basically I want books worth buying a copy of because of the nature of the text, and not because it's a really nice hard cover edition.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mr. Nemo posted:

What are some books that's obviosuly better to have a physical rather than a digital copy of?

Stuff like House of Leaves, S, The raw shark texts, Dictionary of the Khazars, Rayuela, the unfortunates, anything version of a boook with maps (history of the peloponnesian war for example), flatland, stuff where illustrations are part of the appeal like le petit prince or Princess Bride. But you know, stuff you'd read, and not "coffee table" books such as collections of photograpy, 1001 movies to watch before you die, they Voynich manuscript or stuff like that.

Anything goes, basically I want books worth buying a copy of because of the nature of the text, and not because it's a really nice hard cover edition.

Serious answer: all of them

Dumb, stupid answer: Die unendliche Geschichte / The Neverending Story used different-coloured print for the "real" world and the faery-tale world. I can't remember if it was any good though because it's a kids' book and I read it as a kid - and I guess you can do colours with e-books anyway IDK?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

All of them OP

I'm being serious, I much prefer the tactile sense of reading a book, and can remember passages I like based on the location on the page, and the page based on the shape of the paragraphs. Weird maybe but there you are.

If I had a larger ereader than the kindle app on my phone perhaps I'd have a different opinion but even reading PDFs on a tablet is inferior to printing the document out.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Nick Bantock's stuff (the Griffin & Sabine books, The Egyptian Jukebox, etc.) comes to mind.

The Republic of Dreams by G. Garfield Crimmins is similar -- it comes full of maps, guidebooks, letters, tickets, (imaginary) money, and other feelies. The actual story is pretty slight, but it's got endless toy value.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 10, 2021

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Nemo posted:

Most Arno Schmidt books especially the ones where he uses text in multiple columns, although it's not like there's digital versions of those anyway.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

If it needs line breaks and clear formatting, I’d rather read it in print. That means everything from long epic poems like the Illiad to short poetry forms. I also like it when history books have cool maps and pictures, another thing that doesn’t really work with Kindle. I will totally judge a history book by the pictures.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bilirubin posted:

All of them OP

I'm being serious, I much prefer the tactile sense of reading a book, and can remember passages I like based on the location on the page, and the page based on the shape of the paragraphs. Weird maybe but there you are.

If I had a larger ereader than the kindle app on my phone perhaps I'd have a different opinion but even reading PDFs on a tablet is inferior to printing the document out.

A e-reader is a way different experience than a screen and I much prefer it to paper for comfort and ease of use. :shrug:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I definitely prefer the feel and texture of a book overall for sure, the experience of reading different books on an e-reader can be frustratingly "samey" for all the various reasons described above.

That said there's lot's of situations I prefer my e-reader and I'm glad I have it: when reading in bed so my wife can turn out the light and I don't have to stop mid-chapter, when riding on the bus (especially if there are no seats and I have to stand up), when travelling so I don't have to pack multiple books for long flights/periods of waiting, *new as of 2020* in a pandemic where the libraries are closed/difficult to access but their e-book catalogues aren't, etc

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Mr. Nemo posted:

Ship of Theseus
Any Choose Your Own Adventure / gamebook. I'm sure they could work, but you'd lose out on the experience of using every single finger to be able to backtrack.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Mr. Nemo posted:

Maybe Pale Fire? I find it easier to flip back and forth with a physical book. Also I've never read any annotated books on Kindle so I don't know how well that would work. So far I stick to used hard copies for anything with annotations like the annotated Pride and Prejudice Heironymous mentioned once a long time ago.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Serious answer: all of them

Bilirubin posted:

All of them OP

Sure, give me your credit card and I'll get started on that. Digital books are a much cheapear alternative.

Sarern posted:

Maybe Pale Fire? I find it easier to flip back and forth with a physical book. Also I've never read any annotated books on Kindle so I don't know how well that would work. So far I stick to used hard copies for anything with annotations like the annotated Pride and Prejudice Heironymous mentioned once a long time ago.

Yeah, Pale Fire was another one i had in mind, hadn't read it yet. I even saw a "special version" once where it came in several booklets or something. I only read one book with footnotes and it was kind of a pain I'll admit. The Jack London one about a dystopia.

Thanks for the rest of the answers, I'll look into them.

I really enjoy reading books that challenge what a book "is", or require the reader to do more than just read. So any other recommendations on that vein are welcome. I guess even the oppoiste could exist, a book that's only supposed to be read digitally, and couldn't exist physically. I think the "agreed upon" terms are ergodic and hypertext literature.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nemo posted:

I'll respond with some links later, but yeah, anything where the footnotes are part of the experience (Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell) and anything illustrated (Howard Pyle, the Charles Vess edition of Gaimans' _Stardust
_).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mr. Nemo posted:

Sure, give me your credit card and I'll get started on that. Digital books are a much cheapear alternative.

I have books, not credit :smugmrgw:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mr. Nemo posted:

Not always. I've found Kindle books are equal to the cost of a physical book for newer titles, but it might be genre specific. And I love wandering through used book stores and they tend to be cheaper.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mr. Nemo posted:

I really enjoy reading books that challenge what a book "is", or require the reader to do more than just read. So any other recommendations on that vein are welcome. I guess even the oppoiste could exist, a book that's only supposed to be read digitally, and couldn't exist physically. I think the "agreed upon" terms are ergodic and hypertext literature.

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

Not always. I've found Kindle books are equal to the cost of a physical book for newer titles, but it might be genre specific. And I love wandering through used book stores and they tend to be cheaper.

Between HPB.com and BetterWorldBooks, you can almost always find a more affordable physical copy than a digital copy. They usually have free or affordable shipping, and it'll support a local bookstore or donate a book in your name. And if you're getting cluttered from books, look up and see if there's a Little Free Library near by where you can drop off books you're not going to read anymore.

Another book that's better as a physical copy than digital is Barth's Lost in the Funhouse.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Ebooks are actually free if you use this one weird trick big publisher doesn't want you to know

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

So is every other product. Requires more skill and effort for larger items though.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
In the mood for some literary sci-if short fiction, but written within the last five to ten years. Just want something modern this time. Stuff in the vein of Ursula K Leguin, Octavia Butler, Colson Whitehead.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

FWIW I find the way Kindles handle footnotes/annotations to be far better than physical books. I read Count of Monte Cristo last year and it was great. If the note is short enough it just pops up on the page you're reading when you click on it, otherwise it takes you to the note at the end, but as soon as you hit the X it brings you back to your page.
IMO if a book "must" be read as dead trees it isn't worth reading.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Conrad_Birdie posted:

In the mood for some literary sci-if short fiction, but written within the last five to ten years. Just want something modern this time. Stuff in the vein of Ursula K Leguin, Octavia Butler, Colson Whitehead.

Have you read both of Ted Chiang's short story collections? Stories of Your Life and Others and Exhalation

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 11, 2021

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I'll second Chiang and add: Jagannath by Karin Tidbeck, Not So Much, Said the Cat by Michael Swanwick, M. John Harrison's last two collections (one is mostly newer stuff, the other a selection covering the 70s onward)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Conrad_Birdie posted:

David Marusek's Getting to Know You