Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The way iOS notifies you to apps using your clipboard now makes pasting videos or URLs at the top of a post really awkward in portrait on an iPhone. Would there be any way to have the paste options pop-up appear under the iOS notifications?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Clicking an SA quote loads a new page (as it should). But on iPhone I can swipe from the left edge of the screen to return to where I was reading. How I do this on ipad since swiping from the left pulls up the bookmark bar?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 28, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Clicking an SA quote loads a new page (as it should). But on iPhone I can swipe from the left edge of the screen to return to where I was reading. How I do this on ipad since swiping from the left pulls up the bookmark bar?

The arrow in the upper left corner should take you back. That’s how I do it on my iPad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

The arrow in the upper left corner should take you back. That’s how I do it on my iPad.
Yes thanks that works. Though I think I accidentally managed to do it once with a gesture.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Can somebody explain to me why the smileys get duplicated in the picker? I can’t comprehend how that would even happen.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It feels like a thing where it makes an API call to get the smileys (maybe as part of the initial page build) and adds them to the array, and then makes another superfluous API call and adds those results to the array too. Or the API call is paginated and happens when you scroll a certain amount down the picker. Either way it's pulling results that have already been pulled and is adding them to an already-populated array.

Is my guess

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

It feels like a thing where it makes an API call to get the smileys (maybe as part of the initial page build) and adds them to the array, and then makes another superfluous API call and adds those results to the array too. Or the API call is paginated and happens when you scroll a certain amount down the picker. Either way it's pulling results that have already been pulled and is adding them to an already-populated array.

Is my guess

While the general concept here is plausible, lol at the idea of SA having an API.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Look it has an API, you request a page and it spits out nicely-formatted 2003-era html.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

It stands for Awful Page Interface

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

A Pretty Interface

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don't actually mind it. Makes it a bit easier not to overlook what you're looking for.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If true that's a very strange lesson for UI designers to learn

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Data Graham posted:

If true that's a very strange lesson for UI designers to learn

Are you sure you want to delete this file scroll past this emoticon?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

jackhunter64 posted:

Feature request: I just got a 12 mini and I very much enjoy the little haptic feedback bumps when long pressing or scrolling around in other apps, could we get something like that in Awful please? Adding these would take the Posting Experience even further beyond what was thought possible.

I will +1 that on the list!

Red Baron posted:

I don’t know if this is helpful for the random slowdown thing but I’ve found that if I hit a page of a thread that’s slow (on iOS) if I drag down the notifications window so it fully covers the page and can scroll normally in there 99% of the time when I go back to my thread (just swiping up) I can freely scroll again.

The other 1% of the time I regain control about a second later.

Well that's interesting. Appreciate it!

Keith Atherton posted:

How do you upload a video from your phone to SA using the app?

Can't at the moment, but now it's on the list! No reason we shouldn't someday support that.

commie kong posted:

Feature request: Double tap a post to jump to the end of that post

long posts and their quotes are killin me

This is one of those good ideas that I completely forget about until I stumble into certain threads and then I'm desperate. +2 on the list!

NFX posted:

It happened again :v:

I thought sessions stuck around for like a year or so? Weird. +1 on the list at any rate :)

Stare-Out posted:

That made me think; would it be possible to have a "tap to show" for tweets? Especially for ones in quotes. Could help with CPU usage in heavy tweet-threads and make scrolling past long strings of quoted tweets quicker.

Makes sense to me; at a minimum we could wait to embed until you tap the tweet link.

I also wonder about text-only tweet embeds? Might be all you need for a lot of threads and would cut down on the business. No idea if that's an official thing Twitter offers but we could maybe fake it otherwise.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Still can’t see text if you paste an image from your camera roll without hammering the return key.
iPhone XS Max

Oh right. I should get on that one :( always appreciate the prod!

kimbo305 posted:

This has been done for a while, I think, but still here on 5.4 and latest iOS on 12 Mini.

When a thread title is long enough to span 2 lines, when you make a post, the posting form that slides up doesn't go all the way to the top, letting 1 or 2 rows of pixels of the text through. Here's a comparison screenshot, with the form all the way up vs pulled down a bit manually, to help corroborate the exposed pixels.

E: you can also manually shift the posting form up the remaining pixels.
And now that I play with it more, I think all forms are like this; it's just more noticeable with the 2 lines of text.

Yeah I think that's just default iOS form presentation. It does look weird when everything's dark and the different screens run together.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The way iOS notifies you to apps using your clipboard now makes pasting videos or URLs at the top of a post really awkward in portrait on an iPhone. Would there be any way to have the paste options pop-up appear under the iOS notifications?

That menu is one of the most annoying things on iOS to customize in any way, but there might be something we can do. And part of the issue is that Awful checks the clipboard before showing the submenu (to only offer paste if that makes sense), so maybe the answer is to postpone that check so it's not in the way? I'll have to play around with it but I totally see that it's annoying :)

david_a posted:

Can somebody explain to me why the smileys get duplicated in the picker? I can’t comprehend how that would even happen.

I have a theory. Do you use the smilie keyboard (in Awful or in other apps) as well as the non-keyboard picker (by tapping the :-) button) within Awful itself?

My theory is that sometimes, between the smilie keyboard and Awful, we have two smilie list updates trigger at about the same time. If there's a new smilie, both updates end up adding it without realizing the other is doing the same, so you get duplicates.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I've renamed the "master" branch to "main" for the Awful.app repo. Hopefully nothing breaks too badly. Anyone with a local clone, here are some suggested commands to run. If anyone gets stuck, let me know and I'm happy to help!

edit: also it looks like going to http://github.com/awful/awful.app will give some useful commands to update your local copy, so that's nifty.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 4, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I have a theory. Do you use the smilie keyboard (in Awful or in other apps) as well as the non-keyboard picker (by tapping the :-) button) within Awful itself?

My theory is that sometimes, between the smilie keyboard and Awful, we have two smilie list updates trigger at about the same time. If there's a new smilie, both updates end up adding it without realizing the other is doing the same, so you get duplicates.

I do use both methods, though rarely in the same post, and often see doubles though not all the smilies are doubled. At one point I was getting triples but I haven’t seen that in a while.

Thank you for all the work that you do!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

I never use the smilie keyboard, and often see smilie duplication in the :-) picker.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

I thought sessions stuck around for like a year or so? Weird. +1 on the list at any rate :)

You're right, it has only been 11 months and several weeks!

Until I went back and looked at the post times, my answer was going to be that I have both a tablet and a phone, but now I don't remember it happening on my phone. Maybe because I don't have as many custom settings there, and I just forgot that it happened there.

Anyway, I understand that this is not exactly a high priority issue, most of the other issues seem way more annoying.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I think it’d be cool to add a button to copy a post in one or two clicks so I can share them on discord easier for folks who don’t want to lose their place potentially with the url sharing :c00l:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Page 1036 of this thread has an image on it that doesn’t load right on a number of browsers and hangs the thread from loading. When I back out of the thread the rest of the app works fine, and if I look at it when someone else replies and the post with the image is hidden it also works to display the new posts.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2985117&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=1036

Edit: looks like a linked image whose host is having some problems

Renaissance Robot posted:

Oh myyyyy~

<busted image removed by Midjack>

:yosbutt:

Renaissance Robot posted:

The source server is returning a 502, knew I should have saved the image for posterity. Ah well, hopefully it comes back at some point so I can fix that.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 7, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

hey, so i've been working on the double tap feature i requested :v:

not ready to submit to github yet, but it's working exactly how i wanted

https://i.imgur.com/FEzev9H.mp4

i've never done ios stuff before, so will defs need a code review

commie kong fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 14, 2021

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet

commie kong posted:

What function did you use to scroll the content? If it has an animated flag, can you try setting that to true?

E: nicely done btw, I've added a few small things over the years and the codebase structure wasn't super intuitive to me. For an ios noob this is impressive :cheerdoge:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

As much as I dislike having a million options and toggles for every little thing, I can easily see some users wanting a way to disable it so may want to keep that in mind if you haven't already

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wouldn’t be an open source project if it didn’t come with toggles to revert behavior to every previous version.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

carry on then posted:

As much as I dislike having a million options and toggles for every little thing, I can easily see some users wanting a way to disable it so may want to keep that in mind if you haven't already

First thing that came to mind too.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Yeah, I was going to do a toggle. I've read QCS before

16-bit RDRAM posted:

What function did you use to scroll the content? If it has an animated flag, can you try setting that to true?

E: nicely done btw, I've added a few small things over the years and the codebase structure wasn't super intuitive to me. For an ios noob this is impressive :cheerdoge:

I'm using plain old scrollTo and behavior is already set to "smooth". But it's so fast that it's almost just a jump.

My first approach was to use scrollIntoView(false), which seemed perfect as it scrolls to the bottom of the element. But it doesn't accept an offset, which I need to compensate for the bottom menu.

So then I wasted ages trying CSS things that add scroll buffers that feed into scrollIntoView, like scroll-margin-top and scroll-snap-margin-top. And their padding counterparts. But none of that worked for ios, so now I'm calculating sizes of posts.

Since scrollIntoView was my only reason for scrolling in the javascript part, I think I'll just return my offset to the swift part and do the scrolling there. That should be more animated

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Please make it so pictures/tweets/videos surrounded in :nws: tags do not auto load.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Please make it so pictures/tweets/videos surrounded in :nws: tags do not auto load.

Tweets and videos shouldn't be embedding if they are in a post with a :nws: smilie. Did I miss a case? I probably missed a case. Can you link or PM a post that autoloads and shouldn't?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

Awful 5.4, iOS 14.3

Occasionally when returning to control panel from a thread via the back arrow button, the thread i was just reading will have its title replaced with “The Something Awful Forums”. This persists until I go to another thread and back out. I haven’t seen it happen twice in a row yet. I didn’t notice it until after the most recent app update.

More info on this one! It seems to consistently happen when the last post in the thread is by a user on my ignore list and I have clicked on the ignored post to read it, then return to the forum or bookmark list. The thread I was just reading will have the title changed.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Tweets and videos shouldn't be embedding if they are in a post with a :nws: smilie. Did I miss a case? I probably missed a case. Can you link or PM a post that autoloads and shouldn't?

Nah, I was being dumb. Please disregard!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Is Awful using 1.72 gb of space normal? Clearing the cache didn’t change anything
E: seems like it just takes a couple minutes for the data to actually go, lol

im on the net me boys fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 9, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

im on the net me boys posted:

Is Awful using 1.72 gb of space normal? Clearing the cache didn’t change anything
E: seems like it just takes a couple minutes for the data to actually go, lol

Seems like a lot.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Posted a PR :toot:

It now animates just like the "Scroll to End" option and I put it behind a toggle that defaults to off. Doing the calculations in swift now, rather than javascript. It works, but i expect to be corrected on the variable types I used or something regarding that. I struggled with it.

I tried adding light haptic feedback for the double tap, but found it annoying since I was tapping and feeling it all the drat time. So I removed that lol

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

I think it’d be cool to add a button to copy a post in one or two clicks so I can share them on discord easier for folks who don’t want to lose their place potentially with the url sharing :c00l:

When you say "copy a post", what would you hope to paste? The text of the post? A screenshot?

commie kong posted:

This is amazing! I'll leave some notes on the PR. Much appreciated, and awesome job for first time iOS! (Also, sorry for the codebase being such a mess.)

Midjack posted:

More info on this one! It seems to consistently happen when the last post in the thread is by a user on my ignore list and I have clicked on the ignored post to read it, then return to the forum or bookmark list. The thread I was just reading will have the title changed.

Good find! I'll add it to the list.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

minor request

when you hit cancel on a post, it brings up this sheet

there’s no option to back out here, so all you can do is save draft and hit the post button to get back where you were. it’d be nice to have a, er, cancel button here. a “whoops, never mind” option

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You can swipe down on the title bar to dismiss the editor, it’s the same pattern from the mail app.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

The Dave posted:

You can swipe down on the title bar to dismiss the editor, it’s the same pattern from the mail app.

I was typing the commit message for my second PR when I saw this lol

It does work as you describe in Awful. My stock mail app on 14.4 doesn't work that way tho. It has a Cancel button and ignores swipes.

My PR adds a Continue Replying button at the top, since I thought a separated Cancel button at the bottom looked bad. But that's how the mail app does it, so :v:

Not precious about this change going in or not

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That’s weird when you hit reply in mail you should see a little handle on top of the card and you can move it.

Either way your cancel button isn’t doing any harm either.

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
I can’t use the App from a Russian IP (have to do it via a VPN). I guess this is intentional? Sorry for all the hacking.

Necronormiecon fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Ahh, new mail message vs reply is different. Good to know

edit: Actually, swiping down doesn't cancel the email reply. It just sneakily hides it at the bottom until you open it up and hit Cancel. lol

E: testing video paste
testing complete

commie kong fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 14, 2021