Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the guy who ran against her decided running a serious campaign involved too much effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eHMgXlugIU

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

My sons are Hunter,

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Some Guy TT posted:

the guy who ran against her decided running a serious campaign involved too much effort

he had no hope whatsoever of unseating her. when's the last time a sitting democratic senator lost a primary (because that's effectively what their general is)

lol it was lieberman wasn't it. makes the whole markey thing seem even crazier that polls had it close since it's insanely rare

edit found more info, here's the list of 94-17
code:
Name	Year	State	Party	Cause(s) of defeat	Primary result	Nov. Result
Bob Smith 	2002	NH	(R)	Temporary party switch (R to I, returned to R before primary)	53-45	Hold
Joe Lieberman 	2006	CT	(D)	Support for Iraq War	52-48	Lieberman independent victory
Lisa Murkowski 	2010	AK	(R)	Moderate ideology	51-49	Murkowski write-in victory
Arlen Specter 	2010	PA	(D)	Party switch (R to D)	54-46	Loss
Bob Bennett 	2010	UT	(R)	Perceived moderate ideology	Never made it past convention	Hold
Richard Lugar 	2012	IN	(R)	Moderate ideology; lack of state residency	60-40	Loss
Luther Strange	2017	AL	(R)	Questions over appointment, well known opponent	55-45	Loss
dems absolutely HATE primarying their own

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 16:50 on Feb 11, 2021

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

well why the gently caress did they vote for her

she was just reelected two years ago

never doubt the stupidity of democrats, especially california ones

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

well why the gently caress did they vote for her

she was just reelected two years ago

the guy who was running against her basically threw the election

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

cool, now let's work on getting her Being Shot Into The Sun rating up to 100%

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

where the gently caress is my money

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh Snapple! posted:

Imagine feeling threatened by Jim Ross

Strong girlboss energy

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
this made me more mad than any of Trump's shitposts

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1359655341944930309

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

he had no hope whatsoever of unseating her. when's the last time a sitting democratic senator lost a primary (because that's effectively what their general is)

lol it was lieberman wasn't it. makes the whole markey thing seem even crazier that polls had it close since it's insanely rare

edit found more info, here's the list of 94-17
code:
Name	Year	State	Party	Cause(s) of defeat	Primary result	Nov. Result
Bob Smith 	2002	NH	(R)	Temporary party switch (R to I, returned to R before primary)	53-45	Hold
Joe Lieberman 	2006	CT	(D)	Support for Iraq War	52-48	Lieberman independent victory
Lisa Murkowski 	2010	AK	(R)	Moderate ideology	51-49	Murkowski write-in victory
Arlen Specter 	2010	PA	(D)	Party switch (R to D)	54-46	Loss
Bob Bennett 	2010	UT	(R)	Perceived moderate ideology	Never made it past convention	Hold
Richard Lugar 	2012	IN	(R)	Moderate ideology; lack of state residency	60-40	Loss
Luther Strange	2017	AL	(R)	Questions over appointment, well known opponent	55-45	Loss
dems absolutely HATE primarying their own

they hate primarying their own because they think it’s a meritocracy and once someone has made it to office it therefore means they are the best at it

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

spacemang_spliff posted:

YOU NEGOTIATED IT DOWN YOURSELF! AAAAAAAAAARGHH!!!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

he's still gonna be tweeting this 12 months from now

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mind_Taker posted:

they hate primarying their own because they think it’s a meritocracy and once someone has made it to office it therefore means they are the best at it

right, one person's resume says they can do the job by being in the job, you can't argue with that!

another question that's very cynical: has a female democratic incumbent lost in a primary at the fed level (house/senate)? there's far fewer in office so I'm doubting it, but just another barrier in the dem primary that doesn't exist with republicans

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

lmao so now that trump is down there he wants to make sure nobody can leave florida

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

if china invades taiwan they are not going to continue shipping all the consumer crap america buys. it wont just be PCs it will be literally everything we dont produce domestically (which is pretty much everything)

that would suck. the best guava drinks are from taiwan. phillipine stuff just doesn't hold up

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Trump hosed up so Biden has to implement draconian bullshit like this and then chuds can say it's what Democrats wanted all along

I hate this loving fast forward let me just get to the next part

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

this might actually save my family from killing themselves at Disney World, so sure

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Spergin Morlock posted:

lmao so now that trump is down there he wants to make sure nobody can leave florida

This doesn't affect the rich

And somehow trumnbg will poo poo money

Otoh just lock everything the gently caress down what are you doing you poo poo bastard old man. No travel, pay everyone a mint monthly on top of unemployment and stimulus, imprison all non-compliant to the pandemic rules.

gently caress, I'm tired of seeing people die of poo poo that could be avoided if ~number~ wasn't king.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Inspector Hound posted:

Trump hosed up so Biden has to implement draconian bullshit like this and then chuds can say it's what Democrats wanted all along

don't get excited. when biden says "travel restrictions" he probably means politely asking people to quarantine themselves after they visit florida.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

What's that? Help the non-rich classes? Sorry, no can do until we impeach orange man bad, otherwise he might use his travel stipend! The horror! This is most important.

You're welcome

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

wow, president desantis!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

My sons are Hunter,

...and Bow.

mastershakeman posted:

having a lol thinking of '06 when lamont won the primary, lieberman then ran on the lieberman party ticket, and dems didn't lift a finger to help lamont beat him.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

having a lol thinking of when the dems didn't lift a finger to help.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

KaptainKrunk posted:

The fundamental conflict in the Biden administration is going to be between the mostly PMC white Obama and Clinton people on the one hand and the black political establishment which thought crowning Joe would give them way more leverage. If that video where Biden was yelling at black political leaders is going to be any indication of the battle moving forward, Biden is in serious loving trouble come 2022 and especially 2024.

black establishment elites are PMC in spirit if not occupation. Elite universities and sleek corporate jobs do a good job of homogenizing political outlook for ambitiious, morally flexible people, and a federal government that works hand in hand with tech companies, oil companies, defense companies, and Wall street has a broad consensus of support.

Clyburn is the biggest recipient of pharma money in Congress. They literally plucked a Raytheon board member to head the DoD. The congressional black caucus supported Hillary rather than bet on Obama.

If there is any strife it'll be about who gets to have the better position to be the recipient of corporate money.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Good example of black corporate PMC bot is Tony West, who was Obama's high level DoJ official, and just successfully oversaw the gutting of labor law in California under Prop 22 while working for Uber.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

spacemang_spliff posted:

You should go big with giving me my fuckin money you fucks gently caress you

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

universal GIVE ME MY loving 2K YOU RAPIST gently caress

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

A proper lockdown could've ended the pandemic by now so don't feel too sorry for Democrats.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

a good take on my feelings as a black person too much into politics

https://twitter.com/MalaikaJabali/status/1359629112478994436

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

Biden is not going to do that. 70% of freight is carried on trucks, and 6% of the labor force is in some occupation related to trucking. They are not going to put the check points necessary on roads to implement any sort of travel restrictions. At most, their consideration is going to be a "cdc recommendation."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Correct

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Shageletic posted:

Yeah that's exactly correct and Cornel West has been beating that drum since Obama's first year in office.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also

https://mobile.twitter.com/JackAMtheShow/status/1359911896690790409

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the man is almost as right as glenn greenwald (who is right)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

A proper lockdown could've ended the pandemic by now so don't feel too sorry for Democrats.

Like one started after Biden's inauguration?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Biden is not going to do that. 70% of freight is carried on trucks, and 6% of the labor force is in some occupation related to trucking. They are not going to put the check points necessary on roads to implement any sort of travel restrictions. At most, their consideration is going to be a "cdc recommendation."

Hopefully, I guess, I think

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

this is a good tweet

Raskolnikov38 posted:

give us succzone back. I hate this fuckin thread

this is a good post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU