Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sanctum posted:

In 2018 my company rolled out new fleets to 3 of our operations. The operation contracted to fuel United planes got several million worth of fueling equipment but the director didn't want to put new rolling stairs out despite my insistence they were necessary as the new equipment couldn't go underwing for fueling 737's. I showed the director a picture of one of the mangled stairs we had out there and, upon seeing it, he told me to remove it from the ramp immediately as it was clearly unsafe. So I ordered some folding A-frame ladders and put those out as a temporary replacement. Next thing I know the shop manager was ordering more folding ladders and telling maintenance to weld ladder racks onto equipment. :stonklol: Guys, that ain't right. Imagine someone on a windy, rainy day hauling a big hose up to the wing of an airplane on a wobbly ladder for minimum wage.

~not the same~

Failure to provide safe equipment results in workers doing stupid things and breaking things (including themselves.) A year later that United operation, supplied with only ladders, had 2500% more nozzle rebuilds than every other fueling fleet, both new and old, combined. Again, with a brand new fleet. The nozzles are designed to last a lifetime, unless people are regularly dropping them from heights FOR SOME REASON. Rebuild kits cost $1000-$2000 and then there's labor, downtime, considerable fines for fuel spills, cleanup, hazardous waste disposal, penalties for delaying a flight, etc. A total cost of a lot more than some goddamn stairs. I tried to make the argument that the folding ladders aren't OSHA compliant, you must maintain 3 points of contact when climbing a ladder and that's not possible when holding a heavy nozzle connected to a huge hose. The director insisted folding ladders were compliant and pretended that 3 points of contact was not required because he did not see a difference between climbing a ladder and climbing a stand with stairs and guardrail.

Two nozzles requiring rebuilds. Can you spot the difference between general wear and equipment abuse?

So the director cracks down on unusually high maintenance costs and sends the general manager to our shop to lay out new guidelines for reducing expenses. Clearly the problem here is maintenance spending too much on parts, so he put restrictions on that. After that things started falling apart pretty quickly. In 2019 we lost half of the United gates. United contracted them to a different company. The new company put 2 stair frames on every gate, a small rigid frame and a larger adjustable stairs both with hand rails. Gee, now why didn't we think of that?

That director was promoted for reducing costs, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I don't even know. We had a merger with A lovely Company at a national level. They had lost baggage contracts to us, effectively regained those contracts when our companies merged, and then lost them all again. So in a way they lost over 100% of their original business, because they lost their contracts twice. :lol:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Sanctum posted:

In 2018 my company rolled out new fleets to 3 of our operations. The operation contracted to fuel United planes got several million worth of fueling equipment but the director didn't want to put new rolling stairs out despite my insistence they were necessary as the new equipment couldn't go underwing for fueling 737's. I showed the director a picture of one of the mangled stairs we had out there and, upon seeing it, he told me to remove it from the ramp immediately as it was clearly unsafe. So I ordered some folding A-frame ladders and put those out as a temporary replacement. Next thing I know the shop manager was ordering more folding ladders and telling maintenance to weld ladder racks onto equipment. :stonklol: Guys, that ain't right. Imagine someone on a windy, rainy day hauling a big hose up to the wing of an airplane on a wobbly ladder for minimum wage.

~not the same~

Failure to provide safe equipment results in workers doing stupid things and breaking things (including themselves.) A year later that United operation, supplied with only ladders, had 2500% more nozzle rebuilds than every other fueling fleet, both new and old, combined. Again, with a brand new fleet. The nozzles are designed to last a lifetime, unless people are regularly dropping them from heights FOR SOME REASON. Rebuild kits cost $1000-$2000 and then there's labor, downtime, considerable fines for fuel spills, cleanup, hazardous waste disposal, penalties for delaying a flight, etc. A total cost of a lot more than some goddamn stairs. I tried to make the argument that the folding ladders aren't OSHA compliant, you must maintain 3 points of contact when climbing a ladder and that's not possible when holding a heavy nozzle connected to a huge hose. The director insisted folding ladders were compliant and pretended that 3 points of contact was not required because he did not see a difference between climbing a ladder and climbing a stand with stairs and guardrail.

Two nozzles requiring rebuilds. Can you spot the difference between general wear and equipment abuse?

So the director cracks down on unusually high maintenance costs and sends the general manager to our shop to lay out new guidelines for reducing expenses. Clearly the problem here is maintenance spending too much on parts, so he put restrictions on that. After that things started falling apart pretty quickly. In 2019 we lost half of the United gates. United contracted them to a different company. The new company put 2 stair frames on every gate, a small rigid frame and a larger adjustable stairs both with hand rails. Gee, now why didn't we think of that?

You just love to see it

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Am I right in guessing that the top one is old and well-loved but they have real stairs so it got years of use
The bottom one is really new but some idiot dropped it or something because he was climbing a painting ladder to refuel a jet

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

I archive all my emails because it's great to pull up emails from 3-4 years ago with pictures/screenshots of the exact same problem I'm seeing right now along with the assurance from the engineering manager that the defect will never happen again, and then drop it on that managers desk and watch him sweat
I mean... I'm in IT, and so that is definitely coloring this opinion, but: most departments should have a ticketing system.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 11, 2021

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'm the only internal ops manager in my company and all the external managers are afraid of visiting stores because of covid and there's a whole process to notify business owners of a site visit since they're also all afraid of covid - so they might average a site visit every week or two. But I manage 10 stores and I might visit anywhere from half to all of them 1 or more times per day.

Now we have a tracking tool where you have enter every adress you will visit in a day and every person you will interact with before you leave your office, and then log a symptom check and temperature at every address you visit. No one understands that it's not a reasonable use of time to spend several mjnutes logging into a broken website that isn't optimized for mobile and creating a text heavy report up to 20 times so I just get in trouble every 2 weeks or so.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

evilpicard posted:

I'm the only internal ops manager in my company and all the external managers are afraid of visiting stores because of covid and there's a whole process to notify business owners of a site visit since they're also all afraid of covid - so they might average a site visit every week or two. But I manage 10 stores and I might visit anywhere from half to all of them 1 or more times per day.

Now we have a tracking tool where you have enter every adress you will visit in a day and every person you will interact with before you leave your office, and then log a symptom check and temperature at every address you visit. No one understands that it's not a reasonable use of time to spend several mjnutes logging into a broken website that isn't optimized for mobile and creating a text heavy report up to 20 times so I just get in trouble every 2 weeks or so.

Wow that's really tough, it just adds a bunch of friction for no reason to your quest to be a super spreader.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

AHH F/UGH posted:

Am I right in guessing that the top one is old and well-loved but they have real stairs so it got years of use
The bottom one is really new but some idiot dropped it or something because he was climbing a painting ladder to refuel a jet
Top is well-loved and I would note that we put some of those tried-and-tested models onto the Break-Everything operation to see if it was the new nozzle manufacturer to blame. They broke everything we gave em.
Bottom is a hose-end controller dropped from heights regularly and repeatedly. They always try to say "it just happened" like metal has the properties of glass. I do understand why they are dropping them, but those supervisors (the ones on that cursed operation) always want to report the damage and pretend it "just happened." gently caress no it did not, I know metal better than that.

We regularly replaced handle bars and valve levers when people drop or drag equipment or get hit by something, stuff that happens and you expect will happen. This is built to be very tough equipment. The poppet mechanism and seals are sturdy as hell, they'll endure whatever abuse is thrown at them up until a point where you are just dropping nozzles from the height of an A320/737 all day - every day. Up until 2020 that is. Now the ramp is a gladiator ring for violent seagulls and nothing matters.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Are people literally just unplugging from the plane and then and dropping them because they’re too lazy to carry them down the ladders or something, or are they actually butterfingers and they slip and drop accidentally

Like this is America so I would imagine they just toss poo poo into the ground because that’s par for the course of how little Americans care about doing thing right and care about their work but that’s just egregious.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

to be fair to the workers, if i were forced to choose on the spot holding onto a painting ladder with no rails that might be the only thing preventing me from splatting on the ground or a hose i would definitely choose the ladder. especially if i knew my super knew how poo poo the ladder was and would cover for me. i'd probably even just do that as a matter of course eventually if i never got any pushback because that hose looks pretty heavy and drat do those ladders look dangerous to climb down with a heavy load

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

AHH F/UGH posted:

Are people literally just unplugging from the plane and then and dropping them because they’re too lazy to carry them down the ladders or something, or are they actually butterfingers and they slip and drop accidentally

Like this is America so I would imagine they just toss poo poo into the ground because that’s par for the course of how little Americans care about doing thing right and care about their work but that’s just egregious.

Have you ever tried to climb a ladder while holding something heavy in the rain?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

AHH F/UGH posted:

It’s because it’s extremely unsafe to try to shimmy down the ladder holding that massive hose that looks heavy as poo poo and nobody wants to die or get permanently disabled for the sake of the moron boss, so when you start climbing down and feel like you might lose your grip on the ladder, youd drop the hose.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

AHH F/UGH posted:

you sound like manager material

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Thanatosian posted:

I mean... I'm in IT, and so that is definitely coloring this opinion, but: most departments should have a ticketing system.

ticketing systems are great while they're used as a historical record, but inevitably someone gets the idea to use them as a performance metric and then it all goes downhill from there

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
I wish death on whoever decided MS Teams should have a file sharing system. It’s like Sharepoint and Dropbox had an ugly baby together. Further complicated by 5,000 channels each with its own file folder.

On the other hand, Under the Sea mode is fantastic.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

MoonshineWilly posted:

I wish death on whoever decided MS Teams should have a file sharing system. It’s like Sharepoint and Dropbox had an ugly baby together. Further complicated by 5,000 channels each with its own file folder.

If someone can photoshop the achewood comic sans comic with the the MS Teams file sharing and storage system I’ll be eternally in your favor.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I work for a company that has development teams all over the world. Every time a new VP takes over our software development division (about every 3-4 years) the new VP will turn our "global solutions" team that has lumped all software development resources into the same pool into a region-based set of teams, or if we're already in a region-based set of teams they'll turn that into a global solutions team. I think it's the equivalent of a make-work project for a VP.

Sardonik posted:

In a stroke of unbelievable luck, I snagged a software analyst position near the end of 2019. And hoo boy, if you think the frontends of various forms of ERP software are bad, the backends are usually several orders of magnitude worse. Especially Higher-Ed ERP software. A lot of this software DOES NOT talk to each other very well at all, so the integrations are built in house. Thankfully we shelled out for a proper integration tool now, but a lot of the old integrations are nigh-indecipherable perl scripts. It can often feel more like archeology than software development.

Still, as bad as the software is at times, I have no right to complain too much, my coworkers are great and I get to play the integration equivalent of Pipe Dream from home. :toot:
I've been doing integration work for 25 years now, a bunch of it involving integrating our billing system to ERP software, so there's a chance some of that indecipherable perl is mine!

DrBouvenstein posted:

We have a 18 month retention policy on emails (a few exceptions for some shared mailboxes/folders and a few people, mostly in legal or C-level) and boy oh boy the complaints.

Like....if that old email is so important, why do you have it just "hanging around" your inbox? Move it to another folder*, save it outside of Outlook, move the contents to OneNote, loving literally anything else other than "use Inbox as a filing cabinet."
I hope you trip over a stack of printed-out emails.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MoonshineWilly posted:

These channels are just folders in sharepoint.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MA-Horus posted:

I archive all my emails because it's great to pull up emails from 3-4 years ago with pictures/screenshots of the exact same problem I'm seeing right now along with the assurance from the engineering manager that the defect will never happen again, and then drop it on that managers desk and watch him sweat

This is the answer to you people whining about not getting to keep your five year old email chains about where to get lunch.

Export to a PST. Problem solved. You can then import it back into Outlook and browse, search, etc... in it as if it was your active inbox, and it's immune from retention policies.

A few months ago I get paged in the middle of the night for Exchange failing for a different customer. Because no one there ever loving deleted anything, and no polices were set up, everyone had MASSIVE mailboxes and the Exchange database (cause it was set up improperly with just a single database) hit the 1 TB limit.

Cause no one ever deleted anything, it brought down their entire email system. Well, temporarily, at any rate, it wasn't THAT bad, had to create a new DB and move a couple mailboxes to get it back up and running, but my point is, delete at least SOME of your emails? Please?

Pinky
Jan 3, 2004
9 fingers, no way!
IT Quarterly Maintenance Windows. All IT infrastructure, systemic, and config changes get crammed into one 2 week window every quarter. This is supposed to reduce the amount of organizational stress caused by a constant stream of such changes. In reality it just means that when 1 change does not work as planned (and/or needs to be rolled back) no one has any idea which of the 300+ changes caused the issue... This makes resolving issues or rollback extremely difficult or impossible, entirely defeating the purpose of our extremely complicated and Change Management process and very strict timing rules. Yey, efficiency!

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

DrBouvenstein posted:

This is the answer to you people whining about not getting to keep your five year old email chains about where to get lunch.

Export to a PST. Problem solved. You can then import it back into Outlook and browse, search, etc... in it as if it was your active inbox, and it's immune from retention policies.

A few months ago I get paged in the middle of the night for Exchange failing for a different customer. Because no one there ever loving deleted anything, and no polices were set up, everyone had MASSIVE mailboxes and the Exchange database (cause it was set up improperly with just a single database) hit the 1 TB limit.

Cause no one ever deleted anything, it brought down their entire email system. Well, temporarily, at any rate, it wasn't THAT bad, had to create a new DB and move a couple mailboxes to get it back up and running, but my point is, delete at least SOME of your emails? Please?

Yeah. I mean I work In infrastructure too, and I’m totally fine with just a straight up limit on mailbox size, at least when I’m approaching that I can just dump stuff into an archive, and I delete as much email as possible. But retention policies based on time piss me off because you forget about it or end up creating a new archive every 30 days

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think the answer here is to set up quotas and not expect people to know there's a magical limit where everything will break, because lol what a basic business function failure.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Inept posted:

I think the answer here is to set up quotas and not expect people to know there's a magical limit where everything will break, because lol what a basic business function failure.

Oh, I agree, this was a new customer to us and we hadn't yet finished a full evaluation/recommendation so it took us by surprise.

But I guess quotas might be better than time retention? Honestly, the company that does the 18-month thing might HAVE to do it? I don't know, they do insurance stuff, and I don't know the ins and outs of what those regulations are, so maybe there's some sort of legal/regulatory reason it has to be at 18 months?

Unrelated to that, though still email/Exchange related.

For the deskside support team, if we take time off/a sick day, we don't JUST put an event on our calendar. We have to send out the invite to the whole deskside team, so it goes on EVERYONE'S calendar. Of course, because of this, you can't actually mark the time off as "Out of office" or "busy," it always has to stay as "free" because otherwise when you accept someone else's vacation invite, it marks YOU as busy or out of office.

Why in the actual gently caress do we do this, instead of just marking it on our personal and a single shared deskside calendar?
If your guess is, "Some idiot manager doesn't want to have to look at multiple calendars to see who's in/out and wants it right there on his" then you're right.

I think someone tried to tell him he can have the shared "Deskside Calendar" show events overlayed on his personal one, it doesn't HAVE to be side-by-side, but I guess he didn't like that either?

So it results in people either trying to schedule me for things even if I'm not there because it doesn't show me as busy or out of office, or someone makes their vacation event and sets it to out of office by mistake so then we ALL get marked out of office and people don't schedule us for things we need, or it sometimes auto-rejects or what have you when using the scheduling assistant.

A huge pain in the rear end.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

MoonshineWilly posted:

My employer onboarded enterprise Zoom after the pandemic started even though we were already heavily invested in Google Meet because, at the time, it had the loving Brady Bunch view and Meet did not.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Apparently skype is going to be discontinued after July. They basically had a monopoly on business video calling. How did they gently caress that up so badly? Was it because Microsoft bought them out and hosed it up?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Outrail posted:

Apparently skype is going to be discontinued after July. They basically had a monopoly on business video calling. How did they gently caress that up so badly? Was it because Microsoft bought them out and hosed it up?

I Don’t think they hosed up. Microsoft backed a dump truck of money up and bought their platform in order to develop their own and then kill Skype.

I only wish I could create a doodad that some huge company will pay me a billion or two for them to kill.

Unfortunately SA doesn’t make enough to kill my posting

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

kecske posted:

ticketing systems are great while they're used as a historical record, but inevitably someone gets the idea to use them as a performance metric and then it all goes downhill from there

Yeah, I feel like performance metrics are the work of the devil. Because the minute you start measuring something and making it count for something, people will game the system. And suddenly, you're no longer measuring what you wanted to measure anymore, because management manages the numbers instead of the business.

Like, metrics are helpful. But only if you use them correctly. If all you care about are getting the numbers above a certain point, then you don't actually understand your business.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I worked at a power company as a software developer for a while, and it was a pretty good place overall but some senior manager had the biggest hardon ever for making sure that there was not any "double standard" between office staff who touch computers all day and field staff who touch HV all day.

Every person had to get their "construction white card" which is a trivial set of training typically used to induct people onto building sites. It typically takes a whole day so everyone rolled their eyes and got it done.

Another time they banned high heels as a surprise announcement during a town hall. They actually walked this one back the next day due to mutiny from the female office staff.

This was really far back in the thread but this is what my job is like. Offices outnumber production facilities 5:1 and everyone has to be fully trained on electrical isolation and group lockout procedures down to Margaret the part time admin Grandma.

Heels are not banned but there is a minimum diameter and maximum height of heel because an ISO 45001 auditor took exception to the fact that some women wore heels in the offices and they might trip should they travel to a production facility and walk on the steel grating used for walkways and access platforms around the plant.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Outrail posted:

No, Skype isn't being discontinued. It's fake Skype that's getting discontinued, also known as Skype™ for Business™. This used to be called Microsoft Lync, which they rebranded when they bought Skype, but they didn't actually merge the two projects together. Their similarities end at the logo and blue color scheme.

I've been forced to use it at work for years, and it's the buggiest, least reliable chat system I've ever had to use on any platform and I can't wait for it to be buried and forgotten by history. The IT dept where I work has been promising to roll out Teams as a replacement for more than a year now. Please dreadlords of IT, take a break from dreaming up new password complexity requirements and push the button on this one.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

Have you ever tried to climb a ladder while holding something heavy in the rain?

I'm just reminded of the goon who was talking about when he got a job filling up trucks full of packages at FedEx

He was working there for about 2 hours into his first shift loading up a truck when he figured out what he was doing wrong and started to copy what everyone else was doing - It was faster and easier to just drop and throw boxes, regardless of labeling, than to set them down. They had time and they were physically able, but they just dropped literally everything and kicked it into place if needed.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I just quit a job to start a new one. I went from running light rail trains in public transit service to a local freight operation. The area I live in got hit with a very hard freeze and some freezing rain, which is, on this scale, a once-per-decade experience.

The light rail trains I used to operate get their power from an overhead wire that carries 865 volts DC at several hundred amps. The trains have a folding arm (called a pantograph) on the roof that touches the wire and carries the current down to the car to be distributed to the motors for propulsion, and to an inverter that flips the DC to AC current to power things like lights, the air compressor that runs the brakes and the passenger doors, and communication equipment for the operator. A complete circuit from the overhead wire to the ground is absolutely ESSENTIAL for operations.

We've had some warning about the bad weather coming in, and precipitation started around 22:00 last night. In a proactive operation, one should attach a strip of cast iron to the top of the pantograph of every third train or so that goes out on the mainline. The cast iron will wear down the overhead wire a little faster than the soft carbon strip that's typically on top of the pantograph, but it also breaks up ice exceedingly well, so it's okay to leave them on until icy conditions subside. Both of the maintenance shops have boxes full of the cast iron strips, but they can't install them until the VP of Rail Operations gives them the okay.

Guess who went to bed around 21:00 last night without calling the shops?

I've had several old coworkers texting me saying that I got out at a good time. It's apparently bedlam today; several trains are stranded because they left the yard without cast iron strips, hit a long stretch of overhead wire with ice built up on it, ran out of momentum, and got stuck between stations. Passengers are angry, naturally. The VP woke up around 08:00 and made the call to put the cast iron ice cutters on the pantographs, but by 08:00 all but two or three of the 35ish trains that need to be out on the mainline have already left the yard. The agency has been running these trains for 25 years now, but still can't handle ice :iiam:

Some trains are stuck at junctions - points where multiple lines converge or diverge, depending on the direction of travel - and the switches in the track that route the wheels of the train one way or another are just stuck. Because Texas doesn't believe in ice, there's no propane heaters, road flares, or even heat guns on standby for track maintenance personnel to use to melt the ice in the switches.

Meanwhile, I was prepared to go to work today at my new job. They run diesel locomotives, so as long as the fuel doesn't freeze, they can keep going. My alarm went off super early to give me extra time to get into work, and the first thing I see is a call coming in from one of my new supervisors. He basically says that every employee in training - myself, one other guy who is farther along in conductor training, and the two guys learning how to be engineers - are being cut because trainees are not necessary in order to move a train, so there's no reason to risk our safety to try to get to work. I'm guaranteed a minimum of 40 hours every week, even if I only work one day, so I'm just sitting around at home and waiting to find out if I'm staying home tomorrow, too. :woop:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Tex Avery posted:

Meanwhile, I was prepared to go to work today at my new job. They run diesel locomotives, so as long as the fuel doesn't freeze, they can keep going. My alarm went off super early to give me extra time to get into work, and the first thing I see is a call coming in from one of my new supervisors. He basically says that every employee in training - myself, one other guy who is farther along in conductor training, and the two guys learning how to be engineers - are being cut because trainees are not necessary in order to move a train, so there's no reason to risk our safety to try to get to work. I'm guaranteed a minimum of 40 hours every week, even if I only work one day, so I'm just sitting around at home and waiting to find out if I'm staying home tomorrow, too. :woop:

Wow so much for all this so-called ***global warming*** am I right??

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

No, Skype isn't being discontinued. It's fake Skype that's getting discontinued, also known as Skype™ for Business™. This used to be called Microsoft Lync, which they rebranded when they bought Skype, but they didn't actually merge the two projects together. Their similarities end at the logo and blue color scheme.

I've been forced to use it at work for years, and it's the buggiest, least reliable chat system I've ever had to use on any platform and I can't wait for it to be buried and forgotten by history. The IT dept where I work has been promising to roll out Teams as a replacement for more than a year now. Please dreadlords of IT, take a break from dreaming up new password complexity requirements and push the button on this one.

Skype for Business was loving useless for screen sharing, constant freezes and dropouts. Teams leaves it for dead.

DGP Space Lion
Oct 10, 2012

Welcome to Goa, Singham
Some years ago I quit my job at the local paper's website, and eventually got a new job at a small family-run business as a 'Graphic designer'. In practice this meant:

- Creating tiny (100px wide) banner ads for shady chinese games using Photoshop and stolen assets from Google images. Sometimes I would get original art assets as giant PSD files with roughly 500 layers which I would then flatten and shrink down to 1% size

- The ads would lead you to a page where you could download an installer for the game that would also install spyware toolbars on your browsers, which was the company's actual business model (In case you haven't guessed that)

- My manager used a tracking website that showed the most successful banner ads other companies made for the same game and told me to copy the general ideas, except every company did the same so eventually all of the ads started to look the same. Sometimes he would ask me to make the colors 'pop out' more, which basically meant making every pixel the gaudiest green shade possible

- After a few months of this bullshit I realized that working hard would only mean that I would get more work so I would take longer and longer breaks. Nobody noticed for months

- Eventually I was given more advanced work such as "create one billion fake download buttons" and "build official looking download pages for the malware" (I did not know HTML at the time, but the manager told me I could learn it while working under a strict deadline)

- Then one day I had to leave work in the middle of the day due to a family emergency and I just called my boss and told him I'm not coming back. Then I started my own business because the thought of working in an office doing this kind of work for even another day made me want to die inside. It's been almost seven years since then and now I'm working from home, making more than double the money for half the hours and doing actual interesting work (Book design)

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm going to complain about this fully acknowledging that my Dad was a firefighter, so I'm maybe crazy for caring, but my work tests the building wide fire alarms once a month and always tells everyone in advance to say "Don't leave the building, we're testing today".

As much as I don't want to go outside every time they test it, the fact that we never do any actual fire drills and we're being conditioned to ignore the alarm in the first place is extremely stupid. My last boss had the policy that you evacuate the building when the fire alarm goes off, no exceptions, even if told in advance because not only do we need to practice reacting to alarm, what if there's an actual goddamn fire?

So my nightmare scenario now is that there will be an actual fire on or near a test day (and with how often we set them off, the chances aren't low) and none of my coworkers are going to react until they see smoke or an actual firefighter is in their face telling them to evacuate. And being on the top floor doesn't help. It all just seems like a massive liability and a goddamn stupid policy, but again I don't know much I'm talking with my dad's voice.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Since I just left that last job I mentioned a few posts ago, I still have access to my company email until IT finally gets around to shutting down my account.

The agency just sent an email announcing an exciting new opportunity for free continuing education through the company's partnership with DeVry University, and that all supervisors are expected to take one class per year minimum.

I feel like I finished crossing a bridge right before it collapsed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

Yeah, I've seen a lot of complaints about Teams, often in this thread, but Lordy-loo Skype for Business is soooo much worse and why would anyone prefer that?

I'm not saying Teams is perfect, it definitely suffers from feature bloat, but the basic things that it replaces Skype for (chatting, calls, screen sharing, etc...) is worlds better.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Riatsala posted:

I'm going to complain about this fully acknowledging that my Dad was a firefighter, so I'm maybe crazy for caring, but my work tests the building wide fire alarms once a month and always tells everyone in advance to say "Don't leave the building, we're testing today".

As much as I don't want to go outside every time they test it, the fact that we never do any actual fire drills and we're being conditioned to ignore the alarm in the first place is extremely stupid. My last boss had the policy that you evacuate the building when the fire alarm goes off, no exceptions, even if told in advance because not only do we need to practice reacting to alarm, what if there's an actual goddamn fire?

So my nightmare scenario now is that there will be an actual fire on or near a test day (and with how often we set them off, the chances aren't low) and none of my coworkers are going to react until they see smoke or an actual firefighter is in their face telling them to evacuate. And being on the top floor doesn't help. It all just seems like a massive liability and a goddamn stupid policy, but again I don't know much I'm talking with my dad's voice.

The idea of even doing a fire drill is cute to me. 16 years and we have never once done one here; hell, the only time we've ever evacuated the building was because someone brought a "bomb" (blasting caps) into the lobby.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The only time I've ever evacuated a building was at my first job. It was summer and the AC stopped working, in fact all of the HVAC stopped working. That building happens to be across the street from some kind of organic waste dump, and the awful smell filtered into the building. Everybody just got up and left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Riatsala posted:

As much as I don't want to go outside every time they test it, the fact that we never do any actual fire drills and we're being conditioned to ignore the alarm in the first place is extremely stupid.

You're definitely not crazy and this is bad for the reason you mentioned.