Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Random Stranger posted:

At least Kent Nelson was a respected archeologist so he probably had a doctorate there, but he was one of those assholes who insists you call him "Doctor" because he has a PhD.

Nabu doesn't have any excuse.
Kent Nelson was also a medical doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There was that one arc in the Injustice comic where they try and get Fate to actually do some healing, and he's all "um, I'm not THAT kind of doctor" and has to be shoved out of the way by frickin' Harley Quinn because she actually did go to med school.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It was kind of dumb because as a joke it's clearly aimed at the kind of reader who would guffaw about Doctor Fate being named that despite not being a "real doctor", except at the same time Harley Quinn is often not medically trained because writers can't google the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist, and also that particular Fate, Kent Nelson, has canonically been a medical doctor since the 1940s.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Guys I am so angry. It's Doctor Kent Nelson. He didn't go to medical school just for you to call him Mr Fate.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So like if a lawyer put the helm on it'd be Fate, Esquire.

Or Captain Picard? He'd be Sir Fate?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It is quite a coincidence that the big magic guy in both companies is a doctor.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
What do you think they teach us in doctor school?? It's spells all the way down.;

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

It is quite a coincidence that the big magic guy in both companies is a doctor.

The original Dr. Fate wasn't a doctor and the ones that were doctors weren't introduced until well after Dr Strange premiered, if I'm reading the Wikipedia summaries correct.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

How Wonderful! posted:

What do you think they teach us in doctor school?? It's spells all the way down.;

The first good case for grad school I've ever heard

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Skwirl posted:

The original Dr. Fate wasn't a doctor and the ones that were doctors weren't introduced until well after Dr Strange premiered, if I'm reading the Wikipedia summaries correct.
wikipedia is not a source!! i am loving steamed here!!!!

More Fun Comics #88, published February 1943

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Thinking about it now both DC and Marvel have a Dr. Strange, but the DC one goes by his full name of Hugo Strange. There is also Adam Strange but I'm not sure if he got his doctorate in anything.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Madkal posted:

There is also Adam Strange but I'm not sure if he got his doctorate in anything.

Adam Strange has got a Doctorate in double-fisted rear end-kicking from Gardner F. Fox University, chump.

(also possibly archaeology, and definitely a dozen or so diplomas on the Rannian sciences that he totally didn't just print out and give to himself)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
to be fair Dr. Fate is only Kent Nelson like half the time, sometimes he's a ten year old boy merged together with his stepmom, or the stepmom trying to go it alone after the ten year old boy got killed, or Inza Nelson, or Hector Hall, or Kent Nelson's grandson who is also named Kent Nelson, or Khalid Nassour (who is at least a med student).

my point is there have been a bunch of Doctor Fates (Doctors Fate?) and more of them have been non-doctors than not

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

and when was the last time that any of them was even seen at a fête, i ask you

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Squizzle posted:

and when was the last time that any of them was even seen at a fête, i ask you

Definitely a surfeit of Fate at this fête, sir.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

The first good case for grad school I've ever heard

teg noisserped dna tbed!!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FilthyImp posted:

So like if a lawyer put the helm on it'd be Fate, Esquire.

Or Captain Picard? He'd be Sir Fate?

No, He'd be Captain Fate. If Patrick Stewart put on the helmet, then it's Sir Fate

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

CzarChasm posted:

No, He'd be Captain Fate. If Patrick Stewart put on the helmet, then it's Sir Fate

And if Professor X put on the helmet he’d be Professor Fate. Or in the Amalgam universe he’d be Dr. Professor Fate X.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

CopywrightMMXI posted:

And if Professor X put on the helmet he’d be Professor Fate. Or in the Amalgam universe he’d be Dr. Professor Fate X.

:wrong:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Oh that’s right - I completely forgot about that reveal! I still have that issue too. Man, Amalgam was so weird and some of those names were so bad but I’m holding on to the ones I have because we’ll never see anything like it again.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Okay so my initial question was about how Dr. Fate is neither a doctor nor a person named Fate but now my question is how is someone named Dr StrangeFate not have the last name of Strange or Fate but Xavier.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Because he was created in the Modern Age of comics, after federal laws about nominative determinism in superhero naming were thrown out as unconstitutional.

Edit: Also kind of wondering which Amalgam character had the largest number of Marvel and DC characters merged into one.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 11, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

wikipedia is not a source!! i am loving steamed here!!!!

More Fun Comics #88, published February 1943

So, when did Doctor Fate get his more recognizable version of his costume?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

So, when did Doctor Fate get his more recognizable version of his costume?

If I remember correctly, he started with the version we're more familiar with, but switched to the half-mask and no cape version for a while in the mid-40s.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Selachian posted:

If I remember correctly, he started with the version we're more familiar with, but switched to the half-mask and no cape version for a while in the mid-40s.

Yep. I'm positive Roy Thomas has a story about why the helmet changed in some Earth-2 based comic, and if he didn't then he definitely had one planned.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
He just looks like Guardian in that get up.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

maltesh posted:

Because he was created in the Modern Age of comics, after federal laws about nominative determinism in superhero naming were thrown out as unconstitutional.

Edit: Also kind of wondering which Amalgam character had the largest number of Marvel and DC characters merged into one.

one of the Magnetic Men was Tin, Snapper Carr, Toad, and Rick Jones. I think that's the most; there're a couple more that are three characters stuck together but that's the only one I remember hitting four

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Selachian posted:

Huh, I guess that's better than the time the helmet was turned into knives.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huh, I guess that's better than the time the helmet was turned into knives.

as if anything an approach the high bar that was FATE

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I forgot to mention the big face tattoo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I forgot to mention the big face tattoo.

you also omitted the shredded cape holding his demon possessed arm in check.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

melting down your iconic hat and making it into a knife? ah, he went to Jared

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Karma Tornado posted:

melting down your iconic hat and making it into a knife? ah, he went to Jared

quoting this because this needs all the attention

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

yeah im not sure the timelines line up 100% but CHARLES XAVIER, DR STRANGEFATE came out around when the un-amalgamated status quos for each of the component characters were

so if anything, this golden-helmed benevolent sorcerer was a throwback

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Squizzle posted:

yeah im not sure the timelines line up 100% but CHARLES XAVIER, DR STRANGEFATE came out around when the un-amalgamated status quos for each of the component characters were

so if anything, this golden-helmed benevolent sorcerer was a throwback

Doctor Professor StrangeOnslaughtFate

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Selachian posted:

Yeah, after his backstory retcon/face reveal he then dropped to a half-mask because the ladies love it and then shortly after the cape as well so you could see his sweet buns while he did uppercuts because he was also casting less spells. Later this would be explained as him trying to avoid the mental influence of Nabu and thus briefly diminishing his powers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

IIRC it was because Nabu was being kind of a pain in the rear end and influencing his mind; when he went to the half-helmet he had less magical ability because he no longer had Nabu telling him what to cast and how, but he had had enough permanent enhancements over the years that he was basically bulletproof so he just went around punching people.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Zero Hour Fate sure didn’t last long. Although none of the Zero hour characters really did. Primal Force was taken from us way to soon.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Were all 90s comics bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SonicRulez posted:

Were all 90s comics bad?

Yes. Next question.