Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Zach/coby are the new Steph/klay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Zach/coby are the new Steph/klay

New splash brothers dropped

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
shake milton is good. this is not a response to anything, he's just good and i just realized it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

shake milton is good. this is not a response to anything, he's just good and i just realized it.

Don’t encourage them

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

DeimosRising posted:

Don’t encourage them

:sickos:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Athanatos posted:

https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1359741011778494464

Dort is now on the list to be a Lebron teammate in the future.

This might be the best defense I've ever seen

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Dort went undrafted

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Metapod posted:

Dort went undrafted

I still can’t believe that poo poo. I thought he’d be a late lottery guy for sure.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

dokmo posted:

shake has that recently discussed superstar trait of regularly taking difficult shots that unexpectedly go in the basket

i like him

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/SBN_Ricky/status/1359908214221979650?s=20

Lamelo has basically turned Miles Bridges into the most efficient roll man in the league overnight

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

Lamelo has basically turned Miles Bridges into the most efficient roll man in the league overnight

That's great. Brings me back to the pre draft when MV kept saying that Miles Bridges problem was that he was a six-five power forward. Embrace the long arm short leg 4 and see what happens

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Doltos posted:

This might be the best defense I've ever seen

I can’t even imagine how annoying that must be to play against, the way he’s constantly loving with Lebron’s vision of the court with his hands.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Was not calling a foul on WCS at the end of last nights Hawks/Mavs the right or wrong move?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHEuxC_YzEU
I'd have been mad if this happened to the Mavs but can also understand not calling it. I'd say calling the foul is probably the right move. The crew chief of the game thinks they could have called an illegal screen on Young here. I may be missing something but I don't see how it's an illegal screen.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30877811/late-no-call-leaves-trae-young-atlanta-hawks-fuming-1-point-loss-dallas-mavericks
"Really unfortunate that it ended that way," Pierce said, adding that Tiven told him that Young could have been called for an illegal screen.

"I ain't even see Trae," Cauley-Stein. "He's a smart kid. He was trying to get a quick, little foul to shoot free throws and ice the game. No way they was going to give him that call for the game. Good try, though. That was smooth. It was sneaky."

Also, props to THJr for his coverage of Gallinari.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 11, 2021

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
how in the hell would that be an illegal screen

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

JackBandit posted:

I can’t even imagine how annoying that must be to play against, the way he’s constantly loving with Lebron’s vision of the court with his hands.

I was face guarding a dude on the three point line and he dropped the ball and shoved me then a whole bunch of dudes ran on the court going Woah woah woah buddy and the guy got all pissed and left.

Stevie Lee posted:

shake has that recently discussed superstar trait of regularly taking difficult shots that unexpectedly go in the basket

i like him

In a related note Mitch is getting the super star calls on goaltending now and I love it

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

No hugging covid protocol must not kick in if someone is bleeding

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
It’s probably a foul, but you’re not getting that call on an inbounds play with the game on the line. Inbounder should have known what the purpose of the screen was and thrown the lob, it’s the player’s fault more than the official’s.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I still can’t believe that poo poo. I thought he’d be a late lottery guy for sure.

he probably wasn’t gonna go that high but he should’ve snuck in to the late first or early second for sure

he just showed too much to not get picked (although in the draft thread mv totally called the thunder snatching him up)

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Doltos posted:

I was face guarding a dude on the three point line and he dropped the ball and shoved me then a whole bunch of dudes ran on the court going Woah woah woah buddy and the guy got all pissed and left.

Face guarding doesnt work at all.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Dokmo can you please make a video of shai making a bunch of scoop shots 🥺👉👈

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
IMO Trae set a really good screen but he set it on a guy a foot taller than him so when it did its job he fell down. I think it's a play on but I'll take any win by hook or by crook

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Maybe if Trae hadn't transformed his entire game into boring foul seeking he'd get the calls on actual fouls

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

cisneros posted:

Face guarding doesnt work at all.

At the NBA level, yea it probably doesn’t do anything. These guys have all learned to block out anything like that, so it shouldn’t affect them.

At a pickup game at your local court? There’s plenty of guys who would easily be thrown off their game by having a hand in their face.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

morestuff posted:

I find myself seeking out Hornets games on league pass just because I enjoy watching Lamelo so much. Prior to this year I hadn't watched a Hornets game voluntarily in like 10 years, so yeah.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Dort was in the lottery on some boards but he was really misused at ASU so not surprisingly it was pretty difficult for non-regular Pac-12 watchers to have eyes on him. I definitely thought he'd get drafted though.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Is there any proof that face guarding doesn’t work or is it just anecdotal “well he made the shot anyway” stuff? Or is the argument that there are better uses of your hand or defensive attention ?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

WhyteRyce posted:

Is there any proof that face guarding doesn’t work or is it just anecdotal “well he made the shot anyway” stuff? Or is the argument that there are better uses of your hand or defensive attention ?

I assume that it leaves you vulnerable to rip throughs and other attempts at drawing fouls

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
On Monday's game in that same situation, Lebron pivoted like he was going to go left, then went right and got an easy bucket. I just think last night he thought hitting a fade anyway would've been cooler.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

I'd guess it probably does work, you need to see the basket to shoot unless you're Steph

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't care if it works or not. It is loving hilarious to see pros do it and I hope Dort never stops.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I feel like it’s gotta have some impact, like even if it just makes your man 10% worse at finding the open man, it’s useful.

It looks like novel defense to me because I was so bad when I used to play ball that my defender never had to put that much effort into getting me to do some dumb poo poo.

Edit: I think if someone did that to me in pickup I would roll my eyes. It’s like wearing a duke jersey and slapping the floor before getting into your stance

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hello basketball thread! I'm a Canadian who has watched maybe 20 minutes of basketball combined in my life (and ten of that was the end of the game when the Raptors won the basketball Stanley Cup a couple years ago) and I would like to learn more about your fine sport, mainly for education and trivia purposes. Can you guys recommend me a book or two to read that can get me caught up on the basics of basketball and it's history?

Thank you in advance :)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

HookShot posted:

Hello basketball thread! I'm a Canadian who has watched maybe 20 minutes of basketball combined in my life (and ten of that was the end of the game when the Raptors won the basketball Stanley Cup a couple years ago) and I would like to learn more about your fine sport, mainly for education and trivia purposes. Can you guys recommend me a book or two to read that can get me caught up on the basics of basketball and it's history?

There's only one possible answer: FreeDarko's undisputed guide to pro basketball history.

People might mention the Bill Simmons book. Don't get it! It sucks and he sucks!

Welcome to our sport :)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

FD book is great. Most of the stuff in Breaks of the Game is still relevant, for better or worse, and Halberstam is a great writer.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.patreon.com/posts/youth-summit-2-47398124?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=postshare New PD Webb article about 5 guys from the 2020 draft is up. Very good on Haliburton, Maxey, Avdija, Pat Will, and Saddiq Bey, featuring animated gifs.

HookShot posted:

https://pastebin.com/vHUWZVZU Check out this link , written by our very own dokmo, that explains almost everything you'll encounter when reading about/watching the game.

Good basketball book, basketball is jazz by david thorpe. (Not educational but very entertaining: Loose Balls)

If you want to to learn the basics, I like coach nick's videos on youtube. you can type basically anything play related + coach nick and you'll find a video where he's teaching/explaining it. Here's coach nick + pick n roll

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=coach+nick+pick+and+roll

And lastly, if you have any question, no matter how frivolous, never hesitate to ask. This thread is full of mostly nice basketball addicts, serious freaks for ball.

Agree with Whyteryce down below, "Book of Basketball is seriously Boston mind poisoned, and is not a definitive source, but I don't know of a book that's quite so exhaustive in running through league history.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 11, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bill Summons sucks and that book has some real :rolleyes: parts but it does function as a pretty useful primer on the nba

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

kingcobweb posted:

I'd guess it probably does work, you need to see the basket to shoot unless you're Steph
my dad had a tattered well-read copy of "A Sense of Where You Are," the book about Bill Bradley, that he used to reference sometimes when i was little, and i never read it but the impression young-me came up with, based on the title alone, was that good players know where they are on the court at all times, and I believe that to be true even though the book probably wasn't about anything liek that. Put your hands over their eyes, they'll still know where their feet are on the court and exactly how far they are from the basket and how to shoot it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

my dad had a tattered well-read copy of "A Sense of Where You Are," the book about Bill Bradley, that he used to reference sometimes when i was little, and i never read it but the impression young-me came up with, based on the title alone, was that good players know where they are on the court at all times, and I believe that to be true even though the book probably wasn't about anything liek that. Put your hands over their eyes, they'll still know where their feet are on the court and exactly how far they are from the basket and how to shoot it.

For such a revered book I wish it was better, how much you like it will depend a lot on how compelling you find boring-rear end Bill Bradley

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Thank you so much, everyone!! I really appreciate all the suggestions and will pick them up now, as well as checking out the Coach Nick videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

HookShot posted:

Thank you so much, everyone!! I really appreciate all the suggestions and will pick them up now, as well as checking out the Coach Nick videos.

I like the Thinking Basketball videos as well. I came back to basketball after quite a while away from following it seriously and they were digestible and interesting way to look at how modern basketball is played.