Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
For Coco 99% of the time it's the Chinese antis. Hopefully COVER steps the gently caress up and actually does something, like ask YouTube to intervene somehow.

In the meantime though, Watame is King (in 18 hours)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR1Epbc_NNE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I think Anti is a general term and a shortening of AntiFan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-fan

In other news, Gura isn't the only one to eat pet food. Nene has tasted it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB9I_BT-3mA

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The solution to spam is not to counterspam, but to remain on topic, report where possible, and to roll out the red carpet

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Wudz posted:

For Coco 99% of the time it's the Chinese antis. Hopefully COVER steps the gently caress up and actually does something, like ask YouTube to intervene somehow.

In the meantime though, Watame is King (in 18 hours)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR1Epbc_NNE

I'm not going to give Cover a ton of credit here, but I'm pretty sure they have asked Youtube to intervene by now, and I'm also pretty sure Youtube responded like how they always do, which is to say not at all.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
In some high quality #content, Rion (Takamiya) played a horror game with a harmonica strapped on her face.

https://twitter.com/Inajun2434/status/1359843293815660544

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Wudz posted:

Google is not helping a guy they were paying to develop for them after his entire Google account and associated properties was nuked for unspecified reasons.
Just look up Terraria Stadia port.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 11, 2021

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Why has Pekora got a snowman trapped in a glass prison in the middle of a desert

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

sinky posted:

Why has Pekora got a snowman trapped in a glass prison in the middle of a desert

To scape off his snow skin, so she can use it as a color to paint another minecraft picture

E: The short term solution for Coco is to get more mods and not just her or her manager doing the work. *Maybe* get some volunteer mods after some good vetting, members only for smaller streams. For her own personal mental health, if I were her, I'd only be reading members only comments. Keep in mind that it's the lunar new year this week, so all the kids are at home and have a lot of time on their hands, that's why you're seeing the uptick in activity.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 11, 2021

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Pekora is making map art for Moona's birthday/valentine

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD

pezzie posted:

I'm not going to give Cover a ton of credit here, but I'm pretty sure they have asked Youtube to intervene by now, and I'm also pretty sure Youtube responded like how they always do, which is to say not at all.

Kyte posted:

Google is not helping a guy they were paying to develop for them after his entire Google account and associated properties was nuked for unspecified reasons.
Just look up Terraria Stadia port.

Ah, well, nevertheless

If only we had more of Korone's manager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wddzWy3r6uw

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Lyer posted:

To scape off his snow skin, so she can use it as a color to paint another minecraft picture

:gonk:

A creeper just liberated it :lol:

e: :rip: That's some Pekora minecraft stream content

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

sinky posted:

:gonk:

A creeper just liberated it :lol:

e: :rip: That's some Pekora minecraft stream content

It's been a while since I've had some war crimes with my morning coffee.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

mekyabetsu posted:

I’m still not sure if “anti” refers specifically to anti-Taiwan Chinese trolls or just general anti-Hololive trolls.

In the context of vtubers it generally just means the same thing as haters

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

I wasn't talking about the tatsunokos - lord knows, we're well aware of the situation -, but about Hololive's fanbase as a whole.

It drives me up the wall when I read comments from regular fans on discord and whatnot going "oh, that's still happening?", like it's some kind of far off issue that does not concern them in the slightest (despite the fact that, one, Coco's good friends with so many of the talents, and, two, this would not stop at her - she's just the first target).

sorry lemme post a help wanted ad to r/hololive and enlist a militia to dethrone Xi and remove the CCP sponsored spam

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Vizuyos posted:

A lot of people follow vtubers because they don't want to be mad at poo poo all the time anymore. I don't want to hear about internet drama or videogame arguments anymore, I don't want my TV screaming doom and gloom all day anymore, I just want to watch the cute gorilla angel hug the dragon that says "Motherfucker" while they relentlessly shittalk each other's personal hygiene.

Just want to echo this. Like many others, vtubers are an escape for me, and I don’t want to be angry all the time in that context. The onus is on cover to hire a bunch of moderators for her chat, a step they should have taken MONTHS ago. Pikamee has like 8 different mods in her chat at any given time and she’s indie and a fraction of coco’s size, there’s no excuse beyond just being stingy.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Talorat posted:

Just want to echo this. Like many others, vtubers are an escape for me, and I don’t want to be angry all the time in that context. The onus is on cover to hire a bunch of moderators for her chat, a step they should have taken MONTHS ago. Pikamee has like 8 different mods in her chat at any given time and she’s indie and a fraction of coco’s size, there’s no excuse beyond just being stingy.

Hell, all Cover would have to do is just offer free Holo merch and/or memberships and you'd have people lining out the door to do it. I also get the feeling that it's been basically left to Coco's manager to deal with and it hasn't escalated past that (presumably because they probably don't have a very large management hierarchy).

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Brunom1 posted:

Always a treat how Pekora gets these weird rock monsters that she min-maxes for all power, no accuracy. And they somehow regularly land hits, because the bunny is too lucky!

she actually picked a cd title with "LOVE" in it to avoid getting another rock thing, but she got a rock scorpion anyway

the noise she made was incredible

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Brunom1 posted:

Edit: I know we can't - and shouldn't - start badgering Cover about this because that'll fix nothing. And YT doesn't do jack for even bigger streamers than these, so they sure ain't doing it now. I'll stick with Coco come hell or high water, but drat if the entire situation isn't unbelievably frustrating.

I get where you're coming from and those were my sentiments from September through December of 2020. Did the whole reporting and hashtag cleaning and to me all this is a huge favor to Cover and I hope they realize how supportive Coco/Hololive fans are to their oshis. Coco definitely has a loyal fanbase that will stand with her no matter the storm that rolls in but like many hate groups engaging with them directly just feeds into their twisted egos and narratives. Its like trying to reason with a hardcore MAGA supporter. Its not going to work with a direct confrontation. The fanbase has literally showered Coco with money and the antis think that it is somehow their actions that are forcing people to give money and that somehow they'll financially ruin the fans by forcing them to give their money to Coco. Little do they know we've always been into this poo poo and will keep doing it long after they've lost interest. Even now in her free chat there's a ton of super chats and warm messages flowing in. It really is down to what Cover/Hololive can do for Coco at this point. My hope is that once Coco crosses over into the 1 million subs club that it'll throw a grenade at whatever moving goal post they are currently using.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Astel just hit 11 1/2 hours of streaming Apex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBHae81fR3U

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Lyer posted:

Hell, all Cover would have to do is just offer free Holo merch and/or memberships and you'd have people lining out the door to do it. I also get the feeling that it's been basically left to Coco's manager to deal with and it hasn't escalated past that (presumably because they probably don't have a very large management hierarchy).

Oh for sure. I'd understand if they don't want to do purely volunteer mods because that can be risky, but one paid employee could probably easily corral a small army of volunteers with just a little vetting. Many folks would jump at the chance just for the wrench next to their name, throw in a plushie and you'll have your pick of the litter.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Every Coco fan:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Wudz posted:

Ah, well, nevertheless

If only we had more of Korone's manager

I think the difference there is probably more korone than the managers. When it comes to lovely people in her chat, she seems much more willing to let it roll off like water on a duck. She hands it off to her manager and that's it, no need to think about it anymore.

It's also probably much harder to do that for coco, given how determined chinese nationalists are at not just making the stream worse for her, but worse for her audience as well. I don't think the problem gets solved unless they let coco stream on a different platform and give her at least double digit mods, neither of which is likely to happen.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Revolver Bunker posted:

I get where you're coming from and those were my sentiments from September through December of 2020. Did the whole reporting and hashtag cleaning and to me all this is a huge favor to Cover and I hope they realize how supportive Coco/Hololive fans are to their oshis. Coco definitely has a loyal fanbase that will stand with her no matter the storm that rolls in but like many hate groups engaging with them directly just feeds into their twisted egos and narratives. Its like trying to reason with a hardcore MAGA supporter. Its not going to work with a direct confrontation. The fanbase has literally showered Coco with money and the antis think that it is somehow their actions that are forcing people to give money and that somehow they'll financially ruin the fans by forcing them to give their money to Coco. Little do they know we've always been into this poo poo and will keep doing it long after they've lost interest. Even now in her free chat there's a ton of super chats and warm messages flowing in. It really is down to what Cover/Hololive can do for Coco at this point. My hope is that once Coco crosses over into the 1 million subs club that it'll throw a grenade at whatever moving goal post they are currently using.

"Rolling out the red carpet" every time someone abuses Coco in chat is great motivation for Cover and YouTube to literally not do a drat thing about this. Cover Corp is a techbro company first and foremost, and the fact that they can't seem to/don't care to figure out how to implement chat moderation long after the controversy got its stride for a talent that is literally making them a hundred thousand dollars a month should be enough to make people realize that they're not going to fix this until it affects their bottom line.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Takoluka posted:

"Rolling out the red carpet" every time someone abuses Coco in chat is great motivation for Cover and YouTube to literally not do a drat thing about this. Cover Corp is a techbro company first and foremost, and the fact that they can't seem to/don't care to figure out how to implement chat moderation long after the controversy got its stride for a talent that is literally making them a hundred thousand dollars a month should be enough to make people realize that they're not going to fix this until it affects their bottom line.

That's just saying that Coco and the fanbase need to suffer more hate and bullying or else the people with the real power won't do a thing. That's the mindset that Cover already did with Mel, Pekora and Choco and they did jack all for them. I don't think punishing people that want to show that they care in order to show corporations that they're wrong is a good way to look at this.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

They also won't suddenly become more competent. It's pretty clear at this point that there are limits to the things Cover is capable of doing, most likely due to just not having the people in management who know what to do and also not being able to work out a deal with youtube to get anything fixed on their end. The end result of not supporting coco is coco getting retired, not cover suddenly becoming competent.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/DAIISHORI/status/1359906333324050435

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Revolver Bunker posted:

That's just saying that Coco and the fanbase need to suffer more hate and bullying or else the people with the real power won't do a thing. That's the mindset that Cover already did with Mel, Pekora and Choco and they did jack all for them. I don't think punishing people that want to show that they care in order to show corporations that they're wrong is a good way to look at this.

I'm not saying that it's as easy as "stop supporting Coco, and maybe that'll fix it." We all know it's way more nuanced and complicated than that.
What I'm saying is that Cover doesn't really have any incentive to do anything about this. Cover's response to giving Coco's chat ban list a bunch of wrenches was "Oopsie poopsie, we did a fucky wucky," and the average community consensus on that was "Oh, YAGOO, you clumsy oaf, you better treat the dragon right!" We just had a talent have a literal breakdown on stream, and the response is going to be fanart and giving more money to Cover via Coco's superchats. I don't have a solution to this, because as this post as stated,

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I don't think the problem gets solved unless they let coco stream on a different platform and give her at least double digit mods, neither of which is likely to happen.

Cover needs to enact HEAVY chat moderation for Coco, and they're not going to do it because :effort:. They didn't do it when Coco was receiving literal death threats, so nothing leads me to believe they'll do it now.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

E:^^^ The death threat poo poo they wouldn't make a public statement about what they did/will do (due to legal reasons), so I wouldn't hold it against them

Yeah, but even getting volunteer mods isn't something that requires a massive money investment from Cover and honestly doesn't have to be in place until the end of time. Like I said earlier, their management structure is probably very small, so there's probably not a "head of talent" to deal with the manager stuff that's not part of the day to day. To be fair, the activity was also winding down over the past few months, so I could see them be complacent with it.

E2: Ironically enough, a really good person to fill that "head of talent" position would be Coco lol

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Takoluka posted:

I'm not saying that it's as easy as "stop supporting Coco, and maybe that'll fix it." We all know it's way more nuanced and complicated than that.
What I'm saying is that Cover doesn't really have any incentive to do anything about this. Cover's response to giving Coco's chat ban list a bunch of wrenches was "Oopsie poopsie, we did a fucky wucky," and the average community consensus on that was "Oh, YAGOO, you clumsy oaf, you better treat the dragon right!" We just had a talent have a literal breakdown on stream, and the response is going to be fanart and giving more money to Cover via Coco's superchats. I don't have a solution to this, because as this post as stated,

Cover needs to enact HEAVY chat moderation for Coco, and they're not going to do it because :effort:. They didn't do it when Coco was receiving literal death threats, so nothing leads me to believe they'll do it now.

Cover's incentive to do something about it is that Coco is a human being who might eventually hit a breaking point and not want to deal with it any more, which means something even if they don't give a drat about Coco on a personal level because at that point this particular money faucet turns off completely because it's kind of hard to give money to Coco if Coco isn't streaming any more.

It's not like we don't have precedent for vtubers being literally bullied out of the business.

There's not really anything anyone BUT Cover and Youtube can do that will meaningfully affect the situation, unfortunately.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Lyer posted:

E:^^^ The death threat poo poo they wouldn't make a public statement about what they did/will do (due to legal reasons), so I wouldn't hold it against them

I don't recall if they did this, but was there an explicit condemnation of Coco's harassment?

quote:

Like I said earlier, their management structure is probably very small, so there's probably not a "head of talent" to deal with the manager stuff that's not part of the day to day. To be fair, the activity was also winding down over the past few months, so I could see them be complacent with it.

It is frankly unacceptable that the million dollar idol management company lacks the staff for proper idol management.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

They made a statement about working with the authorities to deal with it. Whether or not there any sort of arrest or identification was made, I don't think anyone outside of Coco and the immediate people handling it would know, nor share.

The lack of centralized staff explains a lot though doesn't it? Why Haachama can do some crazy poo poo, Pekora getting shut down for stuff some other members did, hell why does Ina have AO-Chan and none of the other EN girls have a dedicated mod? The more I think about it, seems like each of the managers have as much leeway and support as the girls themselves do and that there's no consistent guidance for anything outside of the technical/operational aspects.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Takoluka posted:

I don't recall if they did this, but was there an explicit condemnation of Coco's harassment?

It is frankly unacceptable that the million dollar idol management company lacks the staff for proper idol management.

yeah cover is making Fat Streamer Bucks off of everyone and coco especially, the least they can do is actually spend a bit to help their talent

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015

Justus posted:

I’m not sure what you mean by a sidechaingate. Do you mean just inserting a gate on the voice upstream, before sidechaining? If you’re trying to obfuscate some background noise, like a loud air conditioner, that becomes noticeable and obnoxious when you’re not talking, that can be quite useful. Like with many things, it’s useful if it solves a real problem. It really depends on what kind of noise you’re trying to mitigate. For instance if you have intermittent loud sounds that overpower your voice, a gate won’t help you.
A gate whose activation signal is the input from another microphone on the side hence side chain gate, used to eliminate a low whine of some cpu fans, If you haven't heard of it its likely not going to work out for me.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

The situation is infuriating. It would probably drive me to anger-based violence if there was anyone responsible within range. I can't believe this poo poo is still loving happening with Coco.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Lyer posted:

There's a limit to the impact "more mods" can have against fully-automated spambots mixed in with a chat consisting of tens of thousands of viewers. If it were just a few dozen people being jerks, that'd be one thing, but it's not really reasonable to expect human moderators to be able to stand up to regularly-updated spambots supplied with dozens of accounts each, especially in a chat where there's already a five-digit audience slamming in repetitive and barely-coherent messages as fast as they can. You could line up hundreds of mods and they still wouldn't be able to prevent the antis from messing up Coco's chat. It just doesn't scale to that degree.

That's something that needs to be attacked from the platform side. Much more powerful moderation tools can help, but the real solution lies with limiting the ability to create large amounts of spambots accounts in the first place. And that's solidly in YouTube's camp to solve.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Vizuyos posted:

There's a limit to the impact "more mods" can have against fully-automated spambots mixed in with a chat consisting of tens of thousands of viewers. If it were just a few dozen people being jerks, that'd be one thing, but it's not really reasonable to expect human moderators to be able to stand up to regularly-updated spambots supplied with dozens of accounts each, especially in a chat where there's already a five-digit audience slamming in repetitive and barely-coherent messages as fast as they can. You could line up hundreds of mods and they still wouldn't be able to prevent the antis from messing up Coco's chat. It just doesn't scale to that degree.

That's something that needs to be attacked from the platform side. Much more powerful moderation tools can help, but the real solution lies with limiting the ability to create large amounts of spambots accounts in the first place. And that's solidly in YouTube's camp to solve.

Oddly enough, it's the big streams that aren't the big deal, since chat goes by so fast that no one can parse it or have any meaningful expectation of chat interaction. Those type of streams are also generally collabs or a pre-scripted show format (Asacoco) that Coco isn't looking at chat for most of the time anyway. It's the smaller streams where she can interact more with the fans that needs and where the moderation is more impactful.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Vizuyos posted:

Yeah but usually in better platforms you have the tools to deal with this. There are channels with 80k+ active users, with the same amount of haters that there would be TOTAL viewers in one of the holo streams, and they have absolutely no problem managing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vizuyos posted:

I watched one of her streams a week or so ago, and there were plenty of obvious spammers, although mostly obscured by chat moving so fast, but the spammers were clearly being dealt with on some level because if you scrolled up a bit the spam posts had been deleted. So clearly something is being done, it just takes a couple of seconds to kick in in each instance.

Are there potential labor law issues with Cover themselves bringing on a bunch of moderators? If they all have to have benefits and such then the costs are going to add up quick.