Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cuntman.net posted:

just saw an ad for noita that described it as the "falling sand roguelite" and that made me laugh. just wanted to share that with my games posting friends
its more of a burning sand roguelike, in practice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

cuntman.net posted:

just saw an ad for noita that described it as the "falling sand roguelite" and that made me laugh. just wanted to share that with my games posting friends

noita owns and i love it

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

My pitch for a 90's magazine ad for Noita would have the headline "You Noita play this game!"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

homeless snail posted:

its more of a burning sand roguelike, in practice
And rocks. And gold. And clouds. And everything, really. What I'm saying is, you set a lot of poo poo on fire.

Noita is great.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Whizzing Wizard posted:

My pitch for a 90's magazine ad for Noita would have the headline "You Noita play this game!"

Yo! Noita

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

ErrEff posted:

I liked Night Call too, it's a mashup of managing your job as a taxi driver and also doing detective work. Not familiar with the other ones.

HellSign is probably best described as 'a CRPG inspired entirely by the Discover Channel's Ghost Hunting Reality-TV shows, a lot of cocaine, and a story brought to you by the world's largest Hellblazer (that's the John Constantine comic) fanboy'.
It's Phasmophobia except it's singleplayer, top-down-isometric, and also wants to be a low-budget Diablo at the same time. (e.g. don't just detect the ghosts, also shoot the ghosts and giant centipedes and whatnot or else you will die)

Consuming Shadow's mostly a 'side-scrolling time management puzzle game' where Yahtzee ran out of color in his art-printer and so all the characters and monsters are just black silhouettes. Some weird and interesting design choices in it, such as if you start going balls-out mad sometimes your buttons will flicker between being what they're supposed to be and a button that makes you commit suicide if you click it. Doesn't feel fully cohesive, like a board game that was being made into a video game and the studio ran out of budget halfway through writing the game design doc and someone bought the thing, polished it up, and launched it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Based on my knowledge of 90s ads It would have been a really hot bikini woman with a crass slogan about her interest in your wand

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Rarity posted:

And Vice City was them just ripping off Scarface and it's the most beloved game in the franchise :v:
No it isn't

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FF7 capitalizes SOLDIER even more than the pentagon

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Darkside Detective is a plain adventure game, but it's also about investigation supernatural events.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Six Days in Fallujah had regenerating health lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Six Days in Fallujah had regenerating health lol
yeah just like real life

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Convex posted:

I'd play an Imperial Life in the Emerald City sim game. Make it like Fox News Frostpunk where you have to make terrible decisions because the TV told you to

The Republia Times by the Papers, Please dev is basically this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

FF7 capitalizes SOLDIER even more than the pentagon

FF8 went even wilder with "SeeD"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Playing this Star Wars Fallen Order game and... it’s Ratchet and Clank wtf.

Pretty good though. Refreshing to see a big budget action platformer without pointless loot system or crafting.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

al-azad posted:

Playing this Star Wars Fallen Order game and... it’s Ratchet and Clank wtf.

Pretty good though. Refreshing to see a big budget action platformer without pointless loot system or crafting.
Yeah I was happy about that, but on the other hand they just replaced loot with worthless cosmetic stuff.

These days it seems like only From’s games are allowed to have meaningful things in treasure chests.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

cuntman.net posted:

Noita is actually pretty cool, but honestly after a couple hours I felt like I had my fill. Now, if they came out with a proper falling sands mode, I'd revisit it more often.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, what's even the point about having an explorable quasi-Metroidvania world when there's nothing interesting to find anywhere? It goes against the whole point of the thing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Didn't play much more Outer Wilds today, but I did finally find my way onto the Sun Station. Also found some last bits of info in the cities that I think tell me what I'm looking for on Dark Bramble (besides poor Feldspar), and more importantly, what I need to do to finish the game (or at least the broad strokes)

Quite literally nothing left but spookyplanet, now :cry:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sign me up for cosmetics and fluff. It calls back to the scanning of Metroid Prime and I don’t have to worry about accidentally cheesing the game because I found the purple dragon shield in the first level.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My only pushback on that is I was playing DQ8 recently and the in-game economy is so tight that if I spent literally all of my gold on a single weapon and then found that same item in a chest during the upcoming dungeon it would be absolutely infuriating.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Didn't play much more Outer Wilds today, but I did finally find my way onto the Sun Station. Also found some last bits of info in the cities that I think tell me what I'm looking for on Dark Bramble (besides poor Feldspar), and more importantly, what I need to do to finish the game (or at least the broad strokes)

Quite literally nothing left but spookyplanet, now :cry:

something i really liked about outer wilds is how, while dark bramble is def the most blatant about it, every planet taps into a different fear

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wish I had the literary/academic knowledge to say what I'm thinking about Outer Wilds in a way that does it justice

Suffice to say that no mere scifi book has enthralled my imagination so completely (or even been so coherent). It tells a story and involves the player in it in ways that other forms of media simply cannot approach

In a just universe it would be on the list of Important Games® like your Pong and your Super Mario Bros and so on

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Looper posted:

something i really liked about outer wilds is how, while dark bramble is def the most blatant about it, every planet taps into a different fear

Also no fuckin' horror game leaves me as fearful of the unknown as this game does, jesus christ :gonk:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I was very frightened of Giant's Deep because it gave me Subnautica flashbacks, but I came to find it quite relaxing after a while.

Ciaphas posted:

I wish I had the literary/academic knowledge to say what I'm thinking about Outer Wilds in a way that does it justice

Suffice to say that no mere scifi book has enthralled my imagination so completely (or even been so coherent). It tells a story and involves the player in it in ways that other forms of media simply cannot approach

In a just universe it would be on the list of Important Games® like your Pong and your Super Mario Bros and so on

... I have a list that you may find interesting after you've finished the game

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

My only pushback on that is I was playing DQ8 recently and the in-game economy is so tight that if I spent literally all of my gold on a single weapon and then found that same item in a chest during the upcoming dungeon it would be absolutely infuriating.

I used to feel this but specifically after playing DQ8 (my first finished DQ) I never grind for equipment because of this very reason. I’ll buy the best I can afford, sell duplicates, you almost always get a copy of everything in a chest and money from monsters increases greatly from dungeon to dungeon. Never worth grinding.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

The Republia Times by the Papers, Please dev is basically this.

Oh amazing thanks! I'll have to have a look at this :)

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Ciaphas posted:

Who’s to say it isn’t? It certainly is to me

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Outer Wilds is also on my "best of all time" list and it's a game I still haven't finished because every time I play it I stare out the window and think about how indifferent life and the universe is but maybe I'll feel better if I can leave a positive mark before I go.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Outer Wilds is definitely one of those games that will become cult classics and be talked about for years to come, although I'm personally not sure I'd go as far as to say that it compares favourably to something like an Isaac Asimov or Iain M. Banks novel.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Waffleman_ posted:

It's got Department of Defense public affairs behind it because the Steam page capitalizes the word soldiers, which the DoD has been trying to make happen for 16 years and only they do.

what if you capitalize ALL the letters in SOLDIER...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Outer Wilds is definitely one of those games that will become cult classics and be talked about for years to come, although I'm personally not sure I'd go as far as to say that it compares favourably to something like an Isaac Asimov or Iain M. Banks novel.

This is basically the reason why I wish I was more knowledgable about literature in general; because hell yes I would compare it to Banks - head and shoulders above, in fact - but I can't defend that argument, so personal opinion it shall remain

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I have a very high opinion of Use of Weapons in particular, so that's something I would strongly contest, but I can agree to disagree about that. It's a subjective thing. :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

funny, i actually really disliked Use of Weapons, personally :v: (Excession and Hydrogen Sonata were baller tho)

(e) this means we have to be mortal enemies forevermore, right

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fittingly enough, Excession is probably my least favourite Banks novel, so I guess we won't be finding a middle ground there. :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/levine/status/1360027731250061319

excited for the next bioshock game in which there are two sides to the nazis

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Ha ha look at you Ken.

All you did was get me curious as to how bad the themes and settings of a Bioshock 4 would be at this point.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The 7th Guest posted:

Whoa an Objectivists doesn't have a problem with antisemitism, I'm shocked.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Cardiovorax posted:

Darkside Detective is a plain adventure game, but it's also about investigation supernatural events.

I remember reading about this one and it slipping under my radar. It's also on a pretty nice discount. Man, that's tempting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

The "What about all the good things Hitler did?" Of lovely takes.