Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

LionYeti posted:

It was the Dark Energy ending which has been discussed in the thread. Essentially Ezzo usage and mass effect transit cause nearby stars to burn out and die much faster then expected. Thats the seeds planted in the Tali mission in 2. It was in some ways a big climate change metaphor. The Reapers found a way to keep some part of civilations alive as they culled them when they reach a certain level of complexity as they try in the background to figure out the problem.

sadly still better than what we got :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I think Jesse from Control is canonically Shepard's ancestor

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Sydin posted:

I'd honestly rather they just soft reboot the series and let you tool around the galaxy with Shepard and their eclectic group of weirdos doing space shenanigans without a massive greater scope villain creating a ticking clock.

Yeah, my biggest disappointment with the entire reaper plotline is that the mass effect universe is such a fun sci fi setting but the reapers wrecking the galaxy makes it hard to have more done with that setting.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

Yeah, my biggest disappointment with the entire reaper plotline is that the mass effect universe is such a fun sci fi setting but the reapers wrecking the galaxy makes it hard to have more done with that setting.

it really sucks that bioware never realised that what people actually liked about the setting was the cool aliens, space detective work, and neat locations you could visit

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Simone Magus posted:

I think Jesse from Control is canonically Shepard's ancestor

Wait what? Where did you hear this?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I just think any ending where actuly the villain was, strictly, right is unsatisfying. The heroes don't have to be perfect rational problem solvers but they should spend the bulk of the story dealing with the core threat that the narrative introduces. Which is reapers, not global warming.

It's like those hollywood twists where, I dunno, Bond spends the film trying to get the secret file but then in the last half hour 'surprise Mr Bond there is no secret file, it was all a ruse to trap you in my vault'. Okay so at no point did the hero decide what they wanted to achieve and work towards it, they just bumbled around barking up the wrong tree. They're basically passive protagonists who never engage with the real threat, which is bad.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. ^ Yeah, imo the most satisfying way to play the reapers would have been for you to just never learn their motives at all. They're here and powerful and want to loving kill everybody, that should be good enough. They claim their reasons are beyond your comprehension, and whether that's true or just bluster they're not sharing the reasons so negotiation is off the table.

Moola posted:

it really sucks that bioware never realised that what people actually liked about the setting was the cool aliens, space detective work, and neat locations you could visit

Seriously, all I want is a more freeform game in the ME universe where you get to fly to new and cool places, pick up interesting cool aliens to join your crew and banter with, and for the Turian councilor to call you up after every major story mission to tell you you're a loose cannon, and he'll have your badge for this! Bioware made a genuinely interesting setting and an existential threat isn't really required to keep me engaged with it. ME:A initially seemed like it was going to be that and I was pretty excited, but then it turned to be... well, whatever the gently caress it is.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
what the new one really needs is a fuckable salarian

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
If the ending was "Congratulations on Killing the Reapers, Shepard. Here is how things fared based on Your Choices" then we would have been on Mass Effect 8 and Netflix Original Mass Effect Season 2 by now

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

what the new one really needs is a fuckable volus

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

acting like Niftu Cal wasn't in ME2 already :cmon:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Do a loving mass effect crime game, gently caress off any idea of galaxy sweeping consequences to focus on personal stories, it'll be grand.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I think the brand is unrecoverable from the ME3 ending debacle. One early access animation gif was enough to sink Andromeda on arrival.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Do a post-synthesis ending so I can see Mr Husk in accounting typing on his holo computer whilst a Reaper books someone for illegal parking.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Codependent Poster posted:

Wait what? Where did you hear this?

Just joking because they're both redheads and Jesse is a biotic god :j:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Hopefully technology has advanced to the point where players can choose to sexually harass any of their subordinates. From the janitor to the vice captain? I feel I should fess up I really have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to titles and responsibilities in these games.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I AM HARBINGER AND THIS IS MY FAVORITE STORE ON THE CITADEL

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Or a fuckable reaper, I guess

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Or a fuckable reaper, I guess

THIS HURTS ME, PLEASE BE GENTLE, IT IS MY FIRST TIME.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Harbinger doesn't assume control in this version, he asks for your consent.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ghouldaddy07 posted:

I think the brand is unrecoverable from the ME3 ending debacle. One early access animation gif was enough to sink Andromeda on arrival.

People like Mass Effect enough that Mass Effect: Sorry would probably save it

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

People like Mass Effect enough that Mass Effect: Sorry would probably save it

Hopefully, I want to push more scumbags through windows.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Andromeda being a hastily assembled collection of splinters glued into something almost resembling a game by BioWare's G-Team in 3 months after they pissed around thinking about it for 3 years sunk Andromeda on arrival. But I do agree, the brand is kind of poisoned in the broader popular consciousness because The Gamers™ will never shut the gently caress up about how the ending to Mass Effect 3 scarred their DNA.

see: Miranda's rear end-gate.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Andromeda had a whole lot more working against it than one gif. There were good reasons to be extremely sceptical from the very first concept art and customer surveys they put out to people.

As far as the endings go, I think the real issue they had is one of presentation. A glowing child who comes up with lame explanations and metaphors that you don't really get an opportunity to do anything with is just not interesting. For example, the Catalyst is all 'When a fire burns, do you blame the fire?' No, buddy, but you sure as hell blame the guy who lit it if it kills people - the Reapers aren't an act of god or some immutable fact of the cosmos. Instead, that kind of explanation just passes by unchallenged and even watching the sequence now when I can accept the intention of the ending, it's all rather grating.

Like, I really wonder how people would've taken it if there was a bit of back and forth with the Catalyst and it took the appearance of the Virmire casualty?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly Andromeda was worse for the series than ME3's ending debacle. Yeah a lot of Capital G Gamers were more vocally angry about the latter, but had Bioware successfully managed their pseudo-spin off then they could have done a whole new series in the new galaxy and just soft-not talked about what went down in the original trilogy. But now they've seemingly poisoned the well for any kind of spin off and have defaulted to trying profit off nostalgia with a remaster collection and a direct sequel.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It cemented modern BioWare as a "nothing too special" developer

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Sydin posted:

Honestly Andromeda was worse for the series than ME3's ending debacle. Yeah a lot of Capital G Gamers were more vocally angry about the latter, but had Bioware successfully managed their pseudo-spin off then they could have done a whole new series in the new galaxy and just soft-not talked about what went down in the original trilogy. But now they've seemingly poisoned the well for any kind of spin off and have defaulted to trying profit off nostalgia with a remaster collection and a direct sequel.

The remaster is a massive missed opportunity to just retcon the ending and pave the way for the sequel and more spinoffs

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kurieg posted:

It really is astonishing how much Leviathan kills the mystic of the Reapers. They go from mysterious entities with somewhat understandable goals but unknowable origins to malfunctioning paperclip optimizers that can't even conceive of cybernetics. And all three of the endings involve, in some way, agreeing with the faulty conclusions of a malfunctioning machine created by evil mind control squids. That AIs and Organics literally cannot exist together so you either need to A) Destroy all the AIs, B) put an organic mind in charge of the AIs or C) use literal loving space magic to turn everyone into a homogeneous cybernetic race so everyone will get along forever.

again the biggest issue i had with 3 was making its big central theme that instead of "working past and through the sins of the past and deciding your future". do you work the various factions past their problems and try to make a better galaxy? do you force the other factions at gun point, maybe losing a couple in the attempt to fight the reapers. or do you just let the strongest survive or some poo poo.

Sydin posted:

well the issue with andromada was they kind hosed around until EA came in and told them to loving make something. the gameplay was sorta fun but the worlds/factions/story/etc sucked rear end.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

The remaster is a massive missed opportunity to just retcon the ending and pave the way for the sequel and more spinoffs

i mean i think its clear, they are gonna make some variety of destroy the canon ending. also it wouldnt shock me if they add some new "after credit" scene.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i think its clear, they are gonna make some variety of destroy the canon ending. also it wouldnt shock me if they add some new "after credit" scene.

I think that's wishful thinking. I sincerely doubt they're going to add anything in terms of content. Assume they'll do the absolute bare minimum to call it a remaster and be pleasantly surprised at anything beyond that.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
The franchise would also massively benefit from not cutting chunks of the narrative out for Dark Horse comics and tie in novels.

How liara became an information broker or the rebellion pre-Andromeda come to mind.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Andromeda being a hastily assembled collection of splinters glued into something almost resembling a game by BioWare's G-Team in 3 months after they pissed around thinking about it for 3 years sunk Andromeda on arrival. But I do agree, the brand is kind of poisoned in the broader popular consciousness because The Gamers™ will never shut the gently caress up about how the ending to Mass Effect 3 scarred their DNA.

see: Miranda's rear end-gate.

How many people are actually that mad about Miranda's rear end? I guess probably significantly more than I expect but it doesn't seem to be that big a talking point or whatever.

Anyway, no single ME game destroyed the series. What killed it was Bioware's descent into a shambling mess of a company that does nothing but screw up. Like, in the end I don't think Mass Effect is really in that different a position to Dragon Age, which never had a lovely spinoff or an ending that caused a fandom to explode.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think that's wishful thinking. I sincerely doubt they're going to add anything in terms of content. Assume they'll do the absolute bare minimum to call it a remaster and be pleasantly surprised at anything beyond that.

oh i dont mean actually change anything. i think you will get a "see you next time with the next adventure, Mass effect Assblasters"

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I liked in ME3 how the turian counselor was the most helpful of the three

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I mean of the three other Council races, the turians are the ones impeding the war effort the least (big bomb on Tuchanka notwithstanding.)

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I have to assume the remaster is coming out because if BioWare doesn’t actually make some sort of money EA is going to can everyone in charge.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I would have thought, based on everything you learn about the Salarians, that Valern would have been the only one on the Council to take the Reapers seriously. Because Salarians are paranoid and drill down on every potential threat and sic STG on it before it becomes a real threat, so you would have thought that they'd find something to back up Shepard and the Salarian councilor would be on your side through the whole thing and just beating his head against the wall because the others are grade-A dipshits.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

nine-gear crow posted:

I would have thought, based on everything you learn about the Salarians, that Valern would have been the only one on the Council to take the Reapers seriously. Because Salarians are paranoid and drill down on every potential threat and sic STG on it before it becomes a real threat, so you would have thought that they'd find something to back up Shepard and the Salarian councilor would be on your side through the whole thing and just beating his head against the wall because the others are grade-A dipshits.
We also know about the salarians that they're kind of bad at long- or even medium-term thinking (see: the krogan, doing the same thing again but with the yahg who are even worse than the krogan.) The Dalatrass seems genuinely more concerned with a theoretical krogan revanchism war than with the killer robots ripping the galaxy a new one at that very moment.

Valern spots you a fleet, at least.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It might be wishful thinking, but it's also something I don't think they would come out and say ahead of time and would wait for word of mouth. Or for people to dig through the code and see if they can find something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ethiser posted:

I have to assume the remaster is coming out because if BioWare doesn’t actually make some sort of money EA is going to can everyone in charge.

BioWare is still making bank with SWTOR, so I dunno. I think if their next game isn’t a hit, they’re done as a name. But I think the remaster is just bonus cash because folks have been asking for it since PS4 and XBox One was released.