Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

OSTs (original sound tracks) seem like a massive business now.

I know in Korea, a lot of artists want to get to a sing a show's theme because it's one of the few things they can do where they'll actually get paid.

South Korea really is like an endgame feudal capitalist hellscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I know in Korea, a lot of artists want to get to a sing a show's theme because it's one of the few things they can do where they'll actually get paid.

It's not too different elsewhere, to be honest, it's just that other countries have different avenues. Is angling for a theme song all that different from angling to score a car commercial or something? Hell, I'd be happier with the show theme; at least there you're getting associated with something that might have shelf life, and that people like and will voluntarily watch.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Anpanman is loving wild when you realise it's what One-Punch Man is primarily riffing on.

How is One Punch Man aging, incidentally? I know it's probably too soon to fully tell, but that one has me curious.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mind the walrus posted:

How is One Punch Man aging, incidentally? I know it's probably too soon to fully tell, but that one has me curious.

At the very least, I feel like it deals with things like superheroes on the context of a broader society, issues of PR and collateral damage, and the effects it has on people living in a society full of gods and monsters better than a lot of superhero media. It's also almost anime Venture Bros sometimes. That said, yeah, might be too soon to tell.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

mind the walrus posted:

Prison Rape Man was never a good idea, frankly.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Anpanman is better than Dragon Ball.

Love to have a kid's cartoon where the hero asks kids to eat him, and then has to be re-baked from scratch to come back from the dead. Anpan-man is some kind of bizarre Chinese whispers interpretation of Christianity, I swear.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Also, Rock The Dragon is awful.

lol imagine being this wrong.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Personally I found the opening end ending songs on a soundtrack to be the least interesting part myself.
And dont even get me started on the endless parade of character song albums.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

In Japan I from what I’ve seen its less cynical. OPs can be a big break but a lot of the acts also do it for fun.

Years ago a metal band called Maximum the hormone did the second OP for death note because their crazy sound matched what the season was going to be about as an example

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Unkempt posted:

Prison Rape Man was never a good idea, frankly.

Agreed.

It's weird how absolutely poo poo Japan is on gay people when they're one of the fetish capitals of the world. You'd think they'd be a bit more accepting, all things considered.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It's that time of year again.

https://twitter.com/AllCharisma/status/1359537746843365381

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jesus loving Christ.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

the_steve posted:

Agreed.

It's weird how absolutely poo poo Japan is on gay people when they're one of the fetish capitals of the world. You'd think they'd be a bit more accepting, all things considered.

His magical girl transformation is still one of the best moments of the series though.

Well this explains a lot of what happened on Angel.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Push El Burrito posted:

Well this explains a lot of what happened on Angel.

I swear I've heard that horrid 'are you going to keep the baby?' story before somewhere.
But yeah absolutely awful stuff. No wonder her character got sent to heaven, possessed by a demon, put into a coma and than died. Goddamn, Whedon.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

In Japan I from what I’ve seen its less cynical. OPs can be a big break but a lot of the acts also do it for fun.

Years ago a metal band called Maximum the hormone did the second OP for death note because their crazy sound matched what the season was going to be about as an example

I remember people flipping poo poo when MtH's OP was revealed. I thought it was a breath of fresh air compared to the bog-standard J-rock first opening and matched well with Light's increasing paranoia and megalomania.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DeafNote posted:

I swear I've heard that horrid 'are you going to keep the baby?' story before somewhere.
But yeah absolutely awful stuff. No wonder her character got sent to heaven, possessed by a demon, put into a coma and than died. Goddamn, Whedon.

Yeah, I remember hearing "Keep the baby" stories before as well, but I think they were about Harvey Weinstein when MeToo was first gaining traction.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
The saying Charisma was fired because she got pregnant and forced a mid-season re-write certainly goes back to when Angel was airing. I feel like the "keeping the baby" was something I read in some form even way back then? :(

Amber Benson (Tara from Buffy) comments on the subject:
https://twitter.com/amber_benson/status/1359555694098190337

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

not sure if it applies here, but the outrage MOB came after poor gina carano simply for making the teeny weeny mistake of saying conservatives are being treated like jews in nazi germany :ohdear:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Mock Gina all you want, but for her, some things are more important than money. Things such as her very strong belief in I Am Being Silenced.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

not sure if it applies here, but the outrage MOB came after poor gina carano simply for making the teeny weeny mistake of saying conservatives are being treated like jews in nazi germany :ohdear:

There's a 1 to 1 image of before and after from those people, the first being that she was hired to appease sjws, it was woke feminism gone berserk, masculine unsexy troll woman being forced down their throats.

Same people today "innocent victim of cancel culture, she is a hero for our times"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Too bad for Gina. After having watched both seasons of The Mandalorian I don’t feel comfortable watching it again until new episodes come out.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

There's a 1 to 1 image of before and after from those people, the first being that she was hired to appease sjws, it was woke feminism gone berserk, masculine unsexy troll woman being forced down their throats.

Same people today "innocent victim of cancel culture, she is a hero for our times"

https://twitter.com/vadimnewquist/status/1359728848166862848

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

lmfao

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

ookiimarukochan posted:

Love to have a kid's cartoon where the hero asks kids to eat him, and then has to be re-baked from scratch to come back from the dead. Anpan-man is some kind of bizarre Chinese whispers interpretation of Christianity, I swear.

phrases that did not age well

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is this the thread to discuss how Mother Teresa was a psychopath?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

Seems like as good a place as any.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Slavik posted:

The saying Charisma was fired because she got pregnant and forced a mid-season re-write certainly goes back to when Angel was airing. I feel like the "keeping the baby" was something I read in some form even way back then? :(

Amber Benson (Tara from Buffy) comments on the subject:
https://twitter.com/amber_benson/status/1359555694098190337
It's just so...sociopathic about the image Whedon has built around himself. He has talked about how bad it was to job for Roseanne. How he strived to make his workplace super inclusive. Just lies upon lies upon lies. Just the thought about watching Buffy or any other show he has written feels really gross right now.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Grouchio posted:

I mean, we've just spent I dont know how many posts discussing if the gundam show with the mexican hat space station is more or less badly aged than dragon ball Z, does it feel like the right thread for that?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

It's just so...sociopathic about the image Whedon has built around himself. He has talked about how bad it was to job for Roseanne. How he strived to make his workplace super inclusive. Just lies upon lies upon lies. Just the thought about watching Buffy or any other show he has written feels really gross right now.

Don't forget to thank Dolly Parton for enabling him.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

evobatman posted:

Don't forget to thank Dolly Parton for enabling him.

For gently caress's sake! Her too?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

For gently caress's sake! Her too?

Dolly Parton has done a massive amount of good work, so I'd wait to hear the full story before jumping down her throat. There's a big difference between "she vouched for him and was wrong" and "she knew but covered it up".

E: I looked. It's been revealed recently that Parton was an uncredited exprod on the Buffy TV series. So she "enabled" Whedon by listening to someone else who told her that there was mileage in the franchise after the movie flopped.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Feb 12, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I dunno what good works has to do with anything, enabling someone you see as a friend is a take as old as time.

Doesn’t mean your a Captain Planet villain

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Predators know how to hide and how to exploit people, so don't be surprised that he was able to hide and exploit people. We're only finding out about him now because he started failing about a decade ago and he doesn't have anybody he can use to cover him or deflect allegations any more, including the wide base of rabid fans he was able to cultivate and deploy tactically for 15+ years.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
usually the holier-than-thou in situations like that are just someone screaming into the void that they would never fall for a predator's bullshit they are too smart for that as though we arent all kinda stupid sometimes

some more than others hahahaha
me

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Media that did not age well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I dunno what good works has to do with anything, enabling someone you see as a friend is a take as old as time.

There's no indication that she saw Joss Whedon as a friend, or even knew who he was. Her entire involvement was her business partner saying the Buffy franchise would be profitable, so her company produced it.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I assume most partnerships in media are really just a piece of paper saying "you can say my name and I won't sue you for it".

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Alhazred posted:

This isn't a defense of Whedon but he probably thought he had an inclusive environment and maybe he did. But inclusivity doesn't mean you are a good boss or a good person.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My guess is that he wallowed in the positive attention he got from loudly saying performatively feminist/progressive things while actually being an abusive, selfish bully when there weren't too many witnesses around. I know a couple of people like this, they really aren't rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

This isn't a defense of Whedon but he probably thought he had an inclusive environment and maybe he did. But inclusivity doesn't mean you are a good boss or a good person.

Also Roseanne Barr is a racist. Whedon could easily have been trying to make the show more inclusive of minorities while at the same time being a sexist.