Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Twelve by Pies posted:

Why would a family take a ship from California to New York? Were there even passenger ships for that route?

As of 1848, there were three routes to California:

1. Train to Missouri, then wagon across the plains. Subject to finding a group to travel west with. Shortest and quickest route, but required camping out, fording rivers, dealing with trail hazards, all the things that would make a hilarious game 150 years later. Most people who took this route were settlers; people heading west for gold went by ship.
2. By ship around Cape Horn. Relatively boring, but could take 6+ months if the winds were bad.
3. Sail to Panama, cross the isthmus, then take a ship north. Quickest route, if you're lucky and a ship comes in at the right time...and you don't die of fever/snakebite/whatever killed 5600 workers later on.
4. Northwest Passage; take a ship heading north around Canada, then FREEZE TO DEATH.

(Presumably, the transit described in the comic is post-canal construction.)

Cobalt-60 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Absolutely.

No railroads
"civilization" ended in Buffalo
Too much crap to move by wagon...and would rather not have it & the family repurposed as prairie decorations when the locals don't take a shine to you.

Granted, they could have ended up as ocean bottomfeed around Tierra del Fuego, but it was a riskier time.
Or they could take the rail, which as of 1869 connected the west coast (at oakland) to the east coast. Which was about 80 years before that strip was published.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (June 28, 1951)
I can never tell how earnest/ironic this comic is supposed to be. I feel like the obvious reading a lot of times is "life sucks no matter what year it is".

Doomykins posted:

The black sheep herding black sheep.
:confused:

Once again singling out Rhodia like as though the same couldn't be said of any other country's prisons.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Wonder if Kelly read this PopSugar article (headline: Duncan Hines Has a New Fruity Pebbles Cake Kit, So Don't Mind If I Yabba Dabba Do!). It was published January 4 which I assume is enough lead time:
Is there more to this joke than one of the characters in The Flintstones being named Pebbles?

catlord posted:

As for Axa, I gotta say, this is a very odd storyline. Weird ending too, but we'll get to that.
I don't find this at all plausible. Where are they getting this steady supply of slaves from? And why does anybody play the games if it's common knowledge that they're rigged?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Surprise wedding! Well it was pretty obvious, that it would happen eventually for these two, but there wasn't any real courtship before this.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 12, 2021

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Tiggum posted:

Is there more to this joke than one of the characters in The Flintstones being named Pebbles?

Fruity Pebbles are a Flintstones-themed cereal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebbles_cereal

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (July 26-30, 1999)

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (January 27-29, 1936)

I love the scene set up here with the one cowboy booted leg poking in from one side and the other two in the get-away car trying to be incognito.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hedgehogs barely self groom, never mind socially. She is just a pervert who wants to pick at other perverts.

I could do with a jumbo Nekonaughey today.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac almost got away with it.

The OOMABOOGY WOW WOW is such an amazing earworm

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I can't help reading it in tune with the stick song, even though it obviously shouldn't be.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I was bored. I made a thing.

I may update it as the situation evolves, if I don't find it too much of an :effort:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 12, 2021

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of The Timid Soul (February 20, 1933), it's interesting to realize that typewriters were once seen as decadent and modern.

I wonder if this is specifically referring to the Technocracy Movement or just technocracy in general.

Circus Windows featuring a flashback to the Bad Machinery era

From the website

John Allison posted:

I hope you enjoy the period-accurate flashback in today’s comic, roughly contemporary to The Case of The Good Boy, in which Mildred takes on the fairground-industrial complex. If you read it on GoComics it has a lot of bonus pages.

Also I got my copy of the last Bad Machinery story, Case of the Severed Alliance in the mail yesterday!

I liked that picture of Mildred on the back cover.

Also, Allison gives an afterword in at the end of the book regarding the end of the series and what might happen to the Mystery Teens after their adventures:

John Allison posted:

When I started Bad Machinery, my idea was that there would be 21 cases, one for every term of the seven years of British secondary education. In the end there were ten, but I think that was enough. I covered such a lot of ground. As time went on I began to feel melancholy at watching the carefree 11-year-olds of the first story vanish, swallowed up by the weird angst, confusion, and adventure of the tween and teen years. Things started so happy-go-lucky, but the more aware one becomes of the world, the more perilous that world becomes. I had to balance the ups and the downs. These were always meant to be fun, silly stories, but there was always a wolf at the door that I never imaged being there until I started writing them.

Throughout its run, Bad Machinery has been blessed with readers of all ages. I have had delightful notes over the years from people aged seven, and 70. The younger readers were part of the reason that I felt the series had to end. As the mystery kids end this book – aged sixteen or thereabouts – I couldn't tell their stories and be as truthful as I wanted to be, without excluding smaller fans. It was one of the hardest decision I've had to make, and I could tell I was going to have to make it around the time of the 8th book. I blame the teen hormones (and you should too). Maybe books 9 and 10 went a little further than they should into the world of Teen Feelings, but if you don't tell anyone, neither will I.

The most important question, now that the casebook is closed, is what will happen to the mystery kids? Is this really their last case? I think for most of them, it is. But then, they're pretty weird kids. Jack is going to spend a lot of time trying to play his guitar and worrying about his hair. Maybe he'll record some terrible raps and never play them to anyone. Sonny goes with the flow. He deserves a rest from danger. Shauna has a lot of interests and a huge brain, and it's time she got a chance to explore more than what local ne'er do wells are up to. Mildred is a barely-corked bottle of trouble and I think the next few years are going to be quite naughty for her. Let's hope she stays out of jail (she probably will – just). Linton's future is foggy to me. He believes in justice. He believes in truth. I feel like he will be interested in mystery . But he is a handsome lad and and I have the sense that he may soon be distracted by some beautiful eyes.

Hopefully the eyes will be in a face and not just floating around.

It seems to me, Lottie Grote will always have mystery in her heart. Nothing is going to stop her looking for it. And in Little Claire she has a friend who is not only loyal, but also somewhat of a mystery too. Does Lottie know Claire is a firestarter? My guess is she always has. She likes her anyway. And who wouldn't? Claire is a total sweetheart. That twosome is a friendship with legs.

Anyway here were are. The end of the series. Thank you for sharing these adventures with me. I hope to see you back in Tackleford one day.

Sorry for the long post.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 12, 2021

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
You made an awesome post, no one needs to apologize for posting awesome.

I love the throwback flashback panel with Mildred's bear badge. It's perfect.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

And speaking of flashbacks to The Case of the Good Boy...

Bad Machinery

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Hedgehogs barely self groom, never mind socially. She is just a pervert who wants to pick at other perverts.

I could do with a jumbo Nekonaughey today.

My pygmy African hoggie was always cleaning himself, and me as well. He would preen my hair until he got into a frenzy and start doing that spit-froth bath all over himself.

That said I hope he was never hunting for bugs in my hair. Once in a while, if I wasn't careful and he got carried away, he'd find and bite my ear. Never broke the skin but was close!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
As long as that alien doesn't show up again I'd say Rip Haywire is back to decent.

The stereotypical sheep herder image is of a gentle, often pristine man watching a herd of similarly stereotypically pure white sheep. Here we see a surly fellow enjoying a smoke, enough shorthand for the time to suggest he's a bit of a lout. The black sheep of the family is a term for someone who gets all the bad will and gossip of that family, deserved or not, often for the sole purpose of giving everyone else in the family a chance to punch down on their least successful member. The black sheep is herding black sheep. Even his cute dog is a bit surly.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The shepherd, who has a whole flock of black sheep, is himself of nonstandard appearance and bearing. They are of a pair, the shepherd and his flock.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

It’s not like anyone needs another reason to hate this comic but gently caress your universe where these two idiots somehow get vaccines in goddamn February.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Homebodies - 1952

Going to be out of town until Sunday, so here's a big drop

another favorite

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 17-18, 1988)

For years I could never figure out Calvin's expression in the second panel and I think I finally realized it's because he's shifting his head back and forth erratically so it's motion blur.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

PainterofCrap posted:

Homebodies - 1952

These two took me a second to get but they are fabulous.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

PainterofCrap posted:

Homebodies - 1952

My grandparents had a copy of this in their upstairs bathroom as you do, so seeing these now is like revisiting old friends or something.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of The Timid Soul (February 20, 1933), it's interesting to realize that typewriters were once seen as decadent and modern.

Look at the detail on that furniture - and the interplay between the shadows and the reflections.

Caspar almost managed to prevent posting. So close.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 12, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 12, 1999)

Garfield Classic (June 12, 1989)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I've been enjoying the past week or so of reply all but this one is just really great

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Did one of you get me this avatar? I appreciate it. The old one was on brand but nobody wants to look at weird pictures of Josh Hawley on a regular basis. I used to not even know what he looked like. :sigh:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We hosed after 10 years of dating are we married now?

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Jun 28, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 19-20, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(Feb 22, 2019)

(Feb 25, 2019)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Why is this a thing. Spending a week on "Yep, this long established couple fucks".

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 19-20, 1988

Lynn Johnston nods approvingly.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

EBB posted:

Why is this a thing. Spending a week on "Yep, this long established couple fucks".
Longer than a week. Why do you think we had that story where they saved a small branch from falling and the parents were all "now we see you as adults and give you our implicit permission to do things adults do"? It's all very gross. But we haven't had a pregnancy in this comic in a month, so what are you gonna do?

The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man