Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Tabletops posted:

Are we still spoilering past life stuff? Haven’t seen any spoiler text for stuff about calli etc

Things get awkward when 1) vtubers talk about their own lives, like Calli talking about her friendship with Milky Queen 2) the subject of discussion is how vtubers get recruited into organizations like Hololive in the first place. I try to keep any of that "past life talk" repeating stuff they've explicity mentioned on stream themselves or extremely closely adjacent: looking up Milky will reveal Calli's past life but Calli was the one telling people to look up Milky

e: The spoiler rule is good. I just wanted to point out there's rare difficult scenarios like this where it's less obvious what actually needs a spoiler (but fortunately not many)

KoB posted:

Their debuts were also delayed because of the pandemic. They mentioned having a ton of time to talk prior to debuting.

Original HoloEN call for applications was April and I'd think the pandemic was already in full swing at that date but I don't know how things were in Japan

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tabletops posted:

Pekora was also scouted. I feel like polka was though I’m not sure if she’s said. Just given her history as a successful vtuber.

Are we still spoilering past life stuff? Haven’t seen any spoiler text for stuff about calli etc

There are a whole bunch of niconico people in the first 3 generations who were scouted. And there is the weird cases like Noel who apparently got her submission approved without actually having sent one.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 12, 2021

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rZmnzh_cAE

Kiara looks to be renovating her house in minecraft later and you know it's going to kickstart all the girls to build up the server in time for the 2nd gen during these next few months.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Original HoloEN call for applications was April and I'd think the pandemic was already in full swing at that date but I don't know how things were in Japan

IIRC Kiara said she discovered Pekora because she was bored and lonely in Japanese Covid Hell and later applied when auditions opened so the whole process was done during pandemic.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Kyte posted:

IIRC Kiara said she discovered Pekora because she was bored and lonely in Japanese Covid Hell and later applied when auditions opened so the whole process was done during pandemic.

Man what a way to have the entire trajectory of your life change.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Ironmouse got an updated model. She’s even cuter now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmB74vKhhTM

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The live2d is so animated and expressive, its really good work as usual.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lyer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rZmnzh_cAE

Kiara looks to be renovating her house in minecraft later and you know it's going to kickstart all the girls to build up the server in time for the 2nd gen during these next few months.

Gura's going to end up creating Atlantis in her hardcore playthrough.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sundae posted:

That's one of the weird things with her - we knew from past lives that she was big on FPS games, and then no FPS games from her for like three straight months after she started. I wonder how much of that was her trying to fit in with what the other girls were playing vs being told not to play them for some reason. I don't really follow her much, so if she's talked about it in chat I've missed it.

What are you on about? Ame was playing Apex and Valorant really early on.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Gender being irrelevant makes me think that this is much more general of a casting call than just for the second gen. It also feels extremely late for auditions if they only needed a slot or two with specific skillset requirements. COVID may have interfered with the creation of the avatars and such, but it seems like, minus some weirdness due to a small sample size, there’s been a new generation of holo jp roughly every 6 or 7 months. If that’s holding true, wouldn’t we be seeing an announcement relatively soon, and if they usually have a few months to get to know each other it seems unlikely they’d be just slapping them together now at the last minute?

Thinkin way too much about anime content creators.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Bloody Pom posted:

Hopefully we'll get some POC representation this gen, ideally with the characters as well as the actors.

they're japanese

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Ollie’s sister, Ellie, is great: https://youtu.be/DfkgnVORk20

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
apparently they had the 'gender is irrelevant' thing on the EN first-gen auditions too, so they're probably just going to see what they get and if they get some they really like from men as well then they might think about holostars EN i'd guess

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Tabletops posted:

Pekora was also scouted. I feel like polka was though I’m not sure if she’s said. Just given her history as a successful vtuber.

I am kinda curious if the not mentioning past life stuff is going to change in the distant future. Like at some point Gura, for instance, is probably going to want to move on to another project or character. Is she really not going to tell her millions of fans to come find her at whatever her new thing is? I know lots of fans of her old stuff found their way to Gura eventually but considering how hard it is to build an online audience, seems weird to leave it all up to word of mouth.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Reine vs card reader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIubVcbW0EA

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

lih posted:

apparently they had the 'gender is irrelevant' thing on the EN first-gen auditions too, so they're probably just going to see what they get and if they get some they really like from men as well then they might think about holostars EN i'd guess

Seems also to just let non binaries audition, since Melissa is a non-binary from nijisanji and talent is higher demand in the end.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I love this loving dragon.

https://twitter.com/kiryucoco/status/1360024388809068546

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

Hopefully we'll get some POC representation this gen, ideally with the characters as well as the actors.

Assuming you mean just the EN branch, I believe Ina has mentioned being a Korean-something, Canadian IIRC.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

UrbicaMortis posted:

I am kinda curious if the not mentioning past life stuff is going to change in the distant future. Like at some point Gura, for instance, is probably going to want to move on to another project or character. Is she really not going to tell her millions of fans to come find her at whatever her new thing is? I know lots of fans of her old stuff found their way to Gura eventually but considering how hard it is to build an online audience, seems weird to leave it all up to word of mouth.

Gura would certainly be in breach of contract to do that on her way out. The past life moratorium is equal parts 'protect identity' and 'prevent people from joining up with Hololive exclusively to boost their personal brand' regardless of how that would actually shake out.

However, she would be found almost immediately. I heard what Aloe was doing now through the grapevine like a week after she resurfaced and she wasn't nearly as big.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The gender irrelevant thing most likely means that they're happy to audition anyone to play the anime girls, regardless of how the person identifies. Certainly i remember calli dropping a vague hint she may be NB once. I doubt you'd see an explicitly mixed sex generation because idol culture.

UrbicaMortis posted:

I will never allow past lives to be openly discussed when spoiler tags exist and are not really that much of an ask. The mods are my puppets and enforce my will.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Besides which outside of a really toxic scandal why the heck would Gura leave. I dont know anything about past lives despite youtubes best efforts (i don't want to either) but id imagine theres a reason she decided to switch, and its probably that she earns more and gets more exposure under cover, to the point where it can essentially be her full time job for at least as long as the boom lasts - how many streamers can do that?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Oh sure, I wasn't trying to get any thread rules changed or anything like that. I'm a pretty casual follower of hololive anyway so I don't really know much about their pasts anyway. I was just idly speculating about what might happen ten years down the line. The breach of contract stuff makes sense though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Namtab posted:

Certainly i remember calli dropping a vague hint she may be NB once.

For what it's worth, the "Calli might be NB" thing was a handful of people reading too much into her always referring to herself as your boi, which has since extended into everyone calling her Dad.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think its tricky because i think the fanbase is split between people who follow the streamer (e.g. the girl who plays gawr gura) vs people who follow the character. Theres obviously overlap in there, but I'd imagine that for as long as vtubing is a thing (and who knows how long that'll be) that divide is going to be present for many reasons.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Suisei's gonna be playing Mario Kart in about 5 mins. Since her throat is still kinda sore she's enlisted a mystery guest to take over speaking for her during the stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t22zt7kgva0

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Bloody Pom posted:

its a conservative japanese company thats too scared to have most of the guys collab with the girls

it'd be sick if en gen 2 had some but dont hold your breath

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
If you want to see some 3D boys for a change, Shoichi Kanda is having his big 3D debut stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43UJjjaF-2o

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 12, 2021

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I wish I'd had a teacher like Gundou to set me straight. Maybe I'd have done something with my life instead of becoming a goon and spending all day watching anime girls on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zehXlQS29yI

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

I wish I'd had a teacher like Gundou to set me straight. Maybe I'd have done something with my life instead of becoming a goon and spending all day watching anime girls on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zehXlQS29yI

The two posts above are pretty related as amongst other things Kanda does a variety of stuff with Gundou as one half of GunKan, such as a duo cover of Seishun Amigo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAdUv5BL8FY

E:

I think due to Covid-related stuff, she's not there as a physical guest... so only her head is actually synced and for the rest they have a mannequin mapped to her 3D model.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 12, 2021

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Namtab posted:

I doubt you'd see an explicitly mixed sex generation because idol culture.

"Idol culture" is not an excuse, because Nijisanji has had mixed generations since its inception.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I don't recall Niji ever claiming to be an idol agency though.

Also wouldn't Holo ID count as POC? But it would be fine to see a greater variety of skin tones (besides tanned elf and zombie flesh) in the characters.

leather fedora fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 12, 2021

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
the idol thing is an increasingly superfluous thing that i'm not sure they really even acknowledge much anymore, to the point that they're willing to hire members regardless of any vocal ability

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
https://twitter.com/kiryucoco/status/1360212492253679617

Coco's getting back at it, starting in 13 hours.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think whats being said is that it'd be nice for hololive EN to have streamers and avatars that reflect the diversity of the english speaking community. Basically someone clearly and openly not white.

Hololive ID and JP would be BAME by our standards, but given that theyre from ID or JP streaming on behalf of ID and JP its not really in line with the spirit of the request

Namtab fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 12, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ollie is suffering a second death right now courtesy of Ring Fit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXvtEQpg_vI

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I think what we can all agree on is that there could definitely be more dog Vtubers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQySuWeRWbc

It goes without saying that even Kuroi Shiba has done a cover of King. She's currently on hiatus though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz3A8fTcE6Q

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

skullhead tethyis posted:

Yup, wrong ideas were had

let me explain: I have two cheap condenser mics but only one that outputs 24bits (the other is a toy that caps out at 16bit), plus a half dozen headsets and stand mics from a video conferencing setup. Can I combine these signals in interesting ways so that I'm not tonguing the diaphragm nor filling the actual 24bit audio with fried vocals?
If it’s just voiceover for one person talking, it’s probably best to just use one microphone, and the one best suited for it at that. Also, you’re talking about some microphone thing with USB that’s an all in one microphone/amp/interface. Condenser mics also can just be mics too fyi. That’s not a knock on USB microphones; they’re a perfectly fine solution to provide a good quality live input at a lower price and without needing bulky outboard gear. Just FYI.

If by “not frying” you mean not clipping or distorting, then it’s simply making sure the gain is low enough that the loudest sound you make doesn’t exceed the max digital audio level. If the voice involves really loud sounds (causing you to need to turn the gain way down) and really quiet sounds (causing the sound to be lost in the mix or too quiet because the gain is turned way down), you can use a compressor to reduce the dynamic range so that the whole thing can be louder. Condensers are pretty sensitive microphones so it should pick you up pretty legibly even from up to several feet away.

There can be a number of technicalities when it comes to this stuff, like things that technically sound better or capture a recording with higher fidelity, but IMO if it makes the performer even a little less comfortable then it’s not worth it. The gear and recording techniques should always be second place to the performance IMO.

quote:

side note upthread you mentioned 48 volts to hold capacitance in a condenser mic (you called it 'phantom power'). the 5V line in from a usb is clearly <48V, so am I giving up a whole bunch of signal because of the lower voltage?

You don’t need to worry about that. The phantom power is part of how condensers work - transducing changes in current between two charged plates where one is fixed and the other is a moving diaphragm. Without sufficient voltage to create that charge, no sound would be transduced, or there might be real wild artifacts at best. It certainly wouldn’t result in linear signal loss. Even though it’s fairly high voltage for personal use electronics, the current required is very very low, so there’s no problem using a fairly simple step up DC-DC converter to derive 48V phantom power from the 5V usb power delivery. I’m sure your USB mic includes some tiny chip somewhere that does this.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

leather fedora posted:

I don't recall Niji ever claiming to be an idol agency though.

Both Cover and Ichikara bill themselves as entertainment companies with everything that entails, and the concept of "idol" is so nebulous in the grand scheme that this very thread has argued that "Hololive Idol Project" is basically just a name.

"Idol culture" is such a bullshit phrase that's soaked in "those crazy Japanese want their pure virgin maidens on stage" as if all idol fans are part of this unchanging fringe society built on the backs on AKB48 super otaku. A top idol group in Japan right now has a member who is currently pregnant and has to sit out heavier performances, and the fanbase has been nothing short of super supportive of her and her relationship.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
https://youtu.be/OR1Epbc_NNE

Watame has joined the King cover arena. Her voice is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I mean, I agree with you that the phrase is kind of stupid and for the most part the barrier between Live and Stars is pretty thin, but I don't think the English-speaking fanbase is going to be convinced otherwise until EN starts doing semi-regular collabs with Stars (or a hypothetical Stars EN) like ID does.