Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Drogon took Dany’s corpse to Volantis and the priestess running the Red Temple who wasn’t Melisandre went “Oh, I can fix this” and brought her back to life like Jon was.

Five years into Bran’s reign, King’s Landing is burned down again by Dany and a new invading horde she’d assembled on Essos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I liked the way Jorah went out, Dany grabbing a sword out of desperation and all that.

and that's about it really. Theon would have been better if he wasn't just obviously sprinting towards death, but the music helped.

Besides the music nothing else really stuck with me in season 8 besides jorah. which lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bobjr posted:

Bran is going to mind hack the dragon to attack the iron bank.

Bran will mind hack the iron bank to set money loan =0 like a video game cheat code

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

I doubt the writers thought about how the world would continue to function after the final credits roll.

I feel bad for when they inevitably try and make a sequel series to GoT and some poor sod is going to have to sort through and tidy up hundreds of baffling or terrible decisions.

I bet they didn't think about Gendry or the fact that most of the story in the books is actually about a banking crisis, but I can't believe that nobody saw a scenario where a king is crowned and the king's sister immediately secedes was supposed to come off as anything other than "This is not a good sign for his reign."

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Precambrian posted:

I bet they didn't think about Gendry or the fact that most of the story in the books is actually about a banking crisis, but I can't believe that nobody saw a scenario where a king is crowned and the king's sister immediately secedes was supposed to come off as anything other than "This is not a good sign for his reign."

It wasn't that kind of show any more at that point.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Precambrian posted:

Especially when there was a whole sub-plot around Dorne basically seceding for 3/4s of the show, and the Iron Isles being promised their independence if Dany took the throne. Sansa going "the North is independent now" and then pulling the ladder up behind her while Yara and the Unnamed Prince of Dorne just looked on gobsmacked was kind of wild.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Drogon took Dany’s corpse to Volantis and the priestess running the Red Temple who wasn’t Melisandre went “Oh, I can fix this” and brought her back to life like Jon was.

I know you're kidding but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did something like this if they ever get desperate enough to make a sequel series.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

I know you're kidding but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did something like this if they ever get desperate enough to make a sequel series.

I wonder what, besides a cruise ship's load of money, would it take to get Emilia Clarke (and the other actors with surviving characters) back to do anything else Game of Thrones related in a post-Season 8 setting?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I wonder what, besides a cruise ship's load of money, would it take to get Emilia Clarke (and the other actors with surviving characters) back to do anything else Game of Thrones related in a post-Season 8 setting?

You'd be surprised. They seemed to have fun making it and liked each other as people. Maybe if 10 or 15 years down the line and Game of Thrones is still the biggest role they ever had they might be open to it...

Game of Thrones as a franchise definitely isn't going away. This thread hasn't really been active enough to cover it but recently they've been talking about possibly doing Dunk and Egg and Robert's Rebellion spinoffs...

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

TOOT BOOT posted:

It would go a little something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_UtRsuIA-Y

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

nine-gear crow posted:

Emilia Clarke (and the other actors with surviving characters)

:thunk:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I guess there should be a comma there or remove the word “other”. Either way, those are meant to be two separate categories: Emilia Clarke... and the rest of the cast who have characters who survived the show.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
What if everything that happened after Bran went in the tree was just a dream of his? Huh huh?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

People on Reddit going absolutely apeshit over this, you can guess why.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vichan posted:

People on Reddit going absolutely apeshit over this, you can guess why.

I can't really, no, although I don't give a gently caress about Dr. Who

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

My gut tells me the presence of two non-white people is pretty central to their objections.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Can't wait for a bunch of slobs who have never studied history in their lives (except some Patreon beggar's animated narrative for intellectuals ONLY) to explain to Reddit that people never travelled between continents and anyway everyone was a modern white supremacist "in those days"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm so tired of all these games of thrones. Flush this shitshow already and for good

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Can't wait for a bunch of slobs who have never studied history in their lives (except some Patreon beggar's animated narrative for intellectuals ONLY) to explain to Reddit that people never travelled between continents and anyway everyone was a modern white supremacist "in those days"

I would love to see a historical series in 1600 Mexico, with a complete cast of indigenous Mexicans, Spaniards, and Japanese mercenaries.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Who's writing the spinoff shows? They're gonna be awful right?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PittTheElder posted:

I would love to see a historical series in 1600 Mexico, with a complete cast of indigenous Mexicans, Spaniards, and Japanese mercenaries.

Hell yeah.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

nine-gear crow posted:

If this has been the stinger a lot of people would be hype for whatever followed.

Given that most of the main casts careers are not exactly skyrocketing I imagine hbo could get most of the band back together and do something based on that premise in 5-10 years anyway for not all that much money, in the large scheme of things.

PittTheElder posted:

Get the 1491/1493 adaptation people on the phone.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh god that reminds me, escaped African slave communities hiding in the mountains.

Better still if the only English people are a bunch of pirates.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

If this has been the stinger a lot of people would be hype for whatever followed.

Given that most of the main casts careers are not exactly skyrocketing I imagine hbo could get most of the band back together and do something based on that premise in 5-10 years anyway for not all that much money, in the large scheme of things.

Get the 1491/1493 adaptation people on the phone.

Also HBO is really good at hiring actors who’ve previously appeared in old HBO shows for new HBO shows. See: Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsay of the hit HBO show Game of Thrones being cast as Joel and Ellie in the soon to be hit HBO show The Last of Us.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Emilia loving LOVED Daenerys. She was devastated by her ending.

Give her a chance to redeem Dany, she would take it I bet.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Sky Shadowing posted:

Emilia loving LOVED Daenerys. She was devastated by her ending.

Give her a chance to redeem Dany, she would take it I bet.

Dany doesn't need redeeming, tragic endings can still be good. The producers just screwed up and should have quit long ago. Her fall should have been more believable, but it should still be there.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mat Cauthon posted:

I think this is exactly what happened with the finale. There were 3-4 spinoffs they teased (Arya Stark: Pirate Queen; Jon Stark and his Spooky Adventures in the North; Grey Worm the Conquistador; Daenerys "Mostly Dead" Targaryen) and were waiting to see which of those the fandom would demand to see. The answer was: *fart*

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if they'll ever do an Aegon's Conquest show. I guess it would be hard to make it work as TV because the story basically boils down to "Aegon Targaryen and his sisters have dragons and no one else does. The end.'

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

An insane mind posted:

Dany doesn't need redeeming, tragic endings can still be good. The producers just screwed up and should have quit long ago. Her fall should have been more believable, but it should still be there.

In more competent hands Dany's plunge into madness could have been one of TV's most defining moments. And despite Clark's pretty wooden interpretation (which I think was coming from the writing and direction), I think she had the chops to play a young ruler slowly going crazier and crazier until a final irredeemable act thrusts all the previous crazy into the light.

It's a shame really. There was so much potential there.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Who's writing the spinoff shows? They're gonna be awful right?

What does your heart tell you?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Nail Rat posted:

What does your heart tell you?

Game of Thrones, brought to you by Scott Buck

Actually, how much worse could his version have been?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wonder if they'll ever do an Aegon's Conquest show. I guess it would be hard to make it work as TV because the story basically boils down to "Aegon Targaryen and his sisters have dragons and no one else does. The end.'

If they learned any lessons, House of the Dragon would depict these things as flashbacks or visions or whatever. I believe the new show is covering the "Dance of Dragons" story of a Targaryan succession dispute, so reference to what Targaryan unity under Aegon the Conqueror was like would make sense.

GoT set up a lot of potential parallels between the main story and Robert's Rebellion (Cersei as a Mad Queen, the Stark/Targaryan alliance as an inversion of the Stark/Baratheon one, Jaime as a possible Queenslayer, and what-not.) They probably should've leaned into those parallels and referenced way more of Robert's Rebellion in the last two seasons (use Bran to show the Battle at the Trident, etc.), but they didn't. And I suspect part of that was hubris, that maybe they'd make a Robert's Rebellion show one day and should leave their options open.

I feel this way about a lot of things, though. That successful franchises spread their content so thin, the whole thing collapses. Star Wars is doing it now, turning The Mandalorian into a Boba Fett show, Rangers of the New Republic, and Ahsoka as distinct series happening at the same time. Can they support all that? Who knows.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pretty sure that Rangers one is dead now that they fired Carano.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Xealot posted:

GoT set up a lot of potential parallels between the main story and Robert's Rebellion (Cersei as a Mad Queen, the Stark/Targaryan alliance as an inversion of the Stark/Baratheon one, Jaime as a possible Queenslayer, and what-not.) They probably should've leaned into those parallels and referenced way more of Robert's Rebellion in the last two seasons (use Bran to show the Battle at the Trident, etc.), but they didn't. And I suspect part of that was hubris, that maybe they'd make a Robert's Rebellion show one day and should leave their options open.

They didn't do that because they hate flashbacks. Which is weird because the original pilot had one. It sucks we'll probably never see it because they're embarrassed of it. And if they're embarrassed of it, it has to be really bad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

And despite Clark's pretty wooden interpretation (which I think was coming from the writing and direction), I think she had the chops to play a young ruler slowly going crazier and crazier until a final irredeemable act thrusts all the previous crazy into the light.

I've seen her Breakfast at Tiffany's, and I think a "wooden interpretation" is the kind of value adding you hire Emilia Clarke for.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pretty sure that Rangers one is dead now that they fired Carano.

It's a separate show. Carano was getting her own Cara Dune spin-off that had nothing to do with Ranger of the New Republic, but Disney held off on announcing it at their Investors Day thing under threat to Carano that she stop posting crazy poo poo on social media. She in fact could not stop posting crazy poo poo on social media and now that unannounced show is either dead, or in limbo pending a potential recast of Cara Dune.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

It's a separate show. Carano was getting her own Cara Dune spin-off that had nothing to do with Ranger of the New Republic, but Disney held off on announcing it at their Investors Day thing under threat to Carano that she stop posting crazy poo poo on social media. She in fact could not stop posting crazy poo poo on social media and now that unannounced show is either dead, or in limbo pending a potential recast of Cara Dune.

I've heard this before, but I can't seem to find a source on it.

Source?

Edit: not the chud stuff, she's obviously stupid. I mean the behind the curtain stuff at Disney.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 15, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've seen her Breakfast at Tiffany's, and I think a "wooden interpretation" is the kind of value adding you hire Emilia Clarke for.

I'm sure Emilia Clarke is a perfectly charming person, but an acting powerhouse she ain't. They'll try to slot her into the odd action role here and there, and she'll do the occasional comedic voice acting gig, but I'm fairly confident she's going to be making a lot of romcoms where the role calls for a pretty woman with a British accent.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've heard this before, but I can't seem to find a source on it.

Source?

Edit: not the chud stuff, she's obviously stupid. I mean the behind the curtain stuff at Disney.

From the editor of The Hollywood Reporter:

https://twitter.com/AaronCouch/status/1359698566781034498

E: the tweet is still kind of vague, maybe they were going to announce that she was headlining Rangers of the New Republic, but only announced the show instead because she couldn't stop being a crazypants on Twitter. So yeah, I think Rangers of the New Republic is going forward anyway without Gina Carano, it's just TBD if it'll be staring a new character completely or a recast Cara Dune.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm sure Emilia Clarke is a perfectly charming person, but an acting powerhouse she ain't. They'll try to slot her into the odd action role here and there, and she'll do the occasional comedic voice acting gig, but I'm fairly confident she's going to be making a lot of romcoms where the role calls for a pretty woman with a British accent.

Honestly her acting abilities were perfect for the way GoT was treating all its female characters after a certain point. The writers didn't know what else to do with women other than make them furrow their brows and not saying anything, and swirling a wine glass if you're Lena Headey.