Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah not a projection, the show was definitely falling off. Peretti had blatantly lost interest before they wrote her character off, and Boyle's getting flanderized to the point of unwatchability. They did do a great job of maturing Jake at a realistic rate though, and I love the depth they've found in Holt, especially his interactions with Rosa, but it doesn't seem like there's much more to do with any character. I may be alone in really really disliking the way they handled that racism episode, so I think it's smart for them to wrap it up rather than try to figure out a BLM version of the show. It's just not a show that's built for handling heavy subjects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean then that’s not running out if steam that’s just realizing you can’t succeed in a new dynamic.

If none of this happened the show wouod have continued on as before, that’s just what it was

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean then that’s not running out if steam that’s just realizing you can’t succeed in a new dynamic.

If none of this happened the show wouod have continued on as before, that’s just what it was

The show isn't as good as it used to be, and not for reasons related to any new dynamics.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Your opinion on what the show is isn’t terribly relevant nor interesting

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Right, I know they're cancelling it because ACAB - but I'm still GLAD it's being cancelled because it's rubbish now outside of the concept.
I'm not projecting anything, I know why it's being cancelled.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's not rubbish though, it's still incredibly funny.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I'm kind of enjoying this thing where the thread has to explain Brooklyn 99 every week. Its like a really low stakes version of a Westworld thread of something. Kind of charming and relaxing.

Evergreen.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Perhaps the same could be said about your opinion.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They should turn it into a Hogan's Heroes reboot and call it Brooklyn 88.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

CPColin posted:

They should turn it into a Hogan's Heroes reboot and call it Brooklyn 88.

Eighty-eight, huh?

I see what you did there.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's not rubbish though, it's still incredibly funny.

You unrefined boor, the show does not live up to our lofty expectations. Which are not nebulous, shut up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't think it's terribly controversial to say that the show has somewhat lost its luster these past few seasons. They've finished everyone's character arcs as much as they're ever going to get finished (except maybe Holt finally being made commissioner, which they've teased so many times I no longer care much) and there's not a lot left for the cast to do except stand around and repeat jokes from earlier seasons. It's certainly not bad, but it's definitely getting long in the tooth and a little repetitive.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Brooklyn Nine-Nine couldn't run forever, and now's a good time as any to end it. Hell, Lights Out could've been the series finale and I wouldn't have been mad.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

you are posting in a thread for discussing people's opinions on the show

Taear posted:

Right, I know they're cancelling it because ACAB - but I'm still GLAD it's being cancelled because it's rubbish now outside of the concept.
I'm not projecting anything, I know why it's being cancelled.

exactly my feelings. i'd been frustrated by the writing and the lack of enthusiasm from the cast for a couple of seasons now. if anything, ACAB gives the show a chance at a graceful exit, which it well deserves even despite the decline

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I was still having fun watching the show, but it was definitely in a decline. I can think of much worse fates for a show than having a well planned exit due to circumstances beyond their control.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think it's terribly controversial to say that the show has somewhat lost its luster these past few seasons. They've finished everyone's character arcs as much as they're ever going to get finished (except maybe Holt finally being made commissioner, which they've teased so many times I no longer care much) and there's not a lot left for the cast to do except stand around and repeat jokes from earlier seasons. It's certainly not bad, but it's definitely getting long in the tooth and a little repetitive.

I think this is generally spot-on. The thing is, essentially all sitcoms have a shelf-life and an expiration date; run too long and you become a parody of yourself (Flanderisation / The Simpsons is the classic example and was already mentioned, and I'm looking at you, HIMYM and Scrubs and The Office), or they become excessively dour and serious and try to be about Important Things (Frasier and M*A*S*H come to mind).

B99 isn't unwatchable by any sense of the word, but they've wrung just about all the water they can out of these characters--I've always thought that when the lead characters in a sitcom start having children, that's usually a sign that the writers are getting hard-up for new ideas--and there's absolutely no shame in ending after an eight-season run, considered that's a hell of a lot longer than a lot of television shows get. I'd much rather the show end now before it turns into some unholy abomination unto the Lord like the final years of Glee or House or Friends.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Gina leaving would have been a perfect opportunity to add a new character but sitcoms generally shrink in scope over time, there’s a point where everyone who could have has sex with each other has and half the people are married to each other, etc.

Late season HIMYM was so dire I don’t mind this show avoiding that fate.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

qirex posted:

Gina leaving would have been a perfect opportunity to add a new character but sitcoms generally shrink in scope over time, there’s a point where everyone who could have has sex with each other has and half the people are married to each other, etc.

Right. By late-era Frasier, Frasier and Roz had slept together, Niles and Daphne were together then married and were later expecting, Daphne's family became prominent players in the show (:barf:), Niles had bypass surgery, and Frasier and his dad were both romantically chasing Frasier's childhood babysitter (:wtc:).

Quit while you're even remotely ahead.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
When did niles pilot the eva

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

When did niles pilot the eva

It's why he needed bypass surgery.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

qirex posted:

Jake hasn’t hooked up with Holt and Kevin as an experimental throuple yet, but there’s time.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

The_Doctor posted:

Jake hasn’t hooked up with Holt and Kevin as an experimental throuple yet, but there’s time.

Gross, those are his dads!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DukeofCA posted:

Gross, those are his dads!

But I mean...:allears:...no...:(...could I? :raise: It would be...:shobon:...no...:ohdear:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

qirex posted:

Parks and Rec managed to extend itself by focusing on some underused characters in its last couple seasons after regulars left, but B99 doesn't have enough spare characters.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Parks and Rec managed to extend itself by focusing on some underused characters in its last couple seasons after regulars left, but B99 doesn't have enough spare characters.

I feel like there's an alternate dimension where a show called Hitchcock and Scully follows the adventures of the morbidly obese, bumbling, seemingly incompetent detectives who solve way more crimes than they get credit for using their greasy-fingered street dumbs. ("Street dumbs" are like street smarts, except different.) And, the scenes in B99 where they're mentioned or are an active part of the episode? Those scenes exist as-is in Hitchcock and Scully, too. Just with more chicken wings.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hitchcockcranz and Sulleystern are Dead

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Tutor - Coming to NBC this Fall! When college professor Kevin Cozner becomes a private tutor to make some fast cash on the side, his only pupil turns out to be a real handful! Young Nikolaj Boyle becomes the teacher when it comes to Kevin learning how to be a human!

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

The_Doctor posted:

The Tutor - Coming to NBC this Fall! When college professor Kevin Cozner becomes a private tutor to make some fast cash on the side, his only pupil turns out to be a real handful! Young Nikolaj Boyle becomes the teacher when it comes to Kevin learning how to be a human!

It's "Nikolaj"

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

No, Nikolaj.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nikolaj! - Coming to CN this fall! However you’re saying it, you’re saying it wrong!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:hmmyes:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

tarlibone posted:

I feel like there's an alternate dimension where a show called Hitchcock and Scully follows the adventures of the morbidly obese, bumbling, seemingly incompetent detectives who solve way more crimes than they get credit for using their greasy-fingered street dumbs. ("Street dumbs" are like street smarts, except different.) And, the scenes in B99 where they're mentioned or are an active part of the episode? Those scenes exist as-is in Hitchcock and Scully, too. Just with more chicken wings.

H&S have already become bigger focuses in an attempt to fill the void since Gina left, with mixed success. Aside from the episodes that are just plainly about them, they get more scenes than they used to in regular episodes. People seem to like them well enough so no one's complaining, but if you go back and watch the early seasons they're onscreen way less.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 23, 2021

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It always struck me as weird how small B99's bench is. Like, how did it never turn into the Office? Why are they still using extras on the set?

Also, looking forward to them all quitting their jobs one-by-one over the course of the season

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did it? I feel like I missed that, the last season in my head is going off to help Ben run for office? Or someone at least

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Taear posted:

Did it? I feel like I missed that, the last season in my head is going off to help Ben run for office? Or someone at least
I'm thinking of stuff like increased use of Donna and Jamm, or adding characters like Craig, but I actually don't think there was much. I've just always thought B99 hit its formula earlier and didn't deviate as much.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Edward Mass posted:

Hitchcockcranz and Sulleystern are Dead

There will be a deep fake movie of this, by god there will.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

tarlibone posted:

I'd love that even if just as a one-off episode. I love the ongoing minor story of H&S secretly being super smart and competent but playing it down to avoid doing work. I want to see them solving crimes and then leading Jake to the clues so that he thinks he solved it and they can just shrug then go eat some wings.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was asked what my all-time favourite show was the other day, and I had to stop and think about it for a bit. Originally, I chose Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, but then I realized that, no, it's definitely Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I'm doing a rewatch right now and it's just perfectly delightful.

This show was my comfort show through last year when poo poo had just started to go crazy in the world, and while it remains crazy, this show remains wonderful. :allears:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
If the world going to poo poo has got you down and you like your sitcoms slightly peppier, can I suggest Ted Lasso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Total Meatlove posted:

If the world going to poo poo has got you down and you like your sitcoms slightly peppier, can I suggest Ted Lasso
Seconded. Ted Lasso is unbelievably great. It's positive and uplifting without being saccharine.