Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I joined a friend starting a new game because he hadn't played since a couple months after launch, it put me on his starting planet right next to him iirc. He still had to do the intro stuff but after that it was normal mp. Now if you can start a new game and join a friend I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That and building would be my main questions. I’m guessing you can’t build in the same plot of land / collaborate on a main base?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I have similar questions. If someone starts a brand new multiplayer game and teleports to me won't they be kind of screwed by my space ship being single occupancy?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

You can collaborate on a base, but it will belong to the person who placed the base computer. Some dude popped into one of my base systems (the only time I've randomly encountered another player I think) and and made me some planters once, which was cool as I hadn't unlocked them yet.

I think you can change if other people can build on your base in the settings somewhere.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That and building would be my main questions. I’m guessing you can’t build in the same plot of land / collaborate on a main base?
Only one person can put down a base computer (otherwise you get "this has already been claimed") but you can set it so other people can make changes to your base.

e: If someone wants to test the NG MP I have it on both PS and PC, could try one really quick.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Starting in survival or whatever the hardest difficulty sucks. And unless they rebalanced it there’s genuinely no loving reason to play it because they just tripled the costs of building anything and called it a day so actually building a base or getting anything going takes forever.

I haven’t started a new game in a long time but there should really be a warning on Survival that is like “EXTREMELY HARD, not recommended for your first time playing, seriously this is like some NG+ challenge poo poo that no one plays”

Every time I see someone come into this thread who just got the game and they’re like “this game sucks WTF” I know they’ve started on survival

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
There's also a point where your deaths are likely from too liberal use of the Plasma Launcher or whatever the grenade lobbing one is called, and not from actual survival mechanics, so having to deal with the extra BS of Survival mode is just kinda silly anyway, since everything still quickly becomes trivial once you get the ball rolling.

That said, most of my progress is on a Survival save at this point and I'm still sticking with it. I just don't use the Plasma Launcher anymore :v:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I started a new game on survival to play on PSVR, can confirm it's harsh as hell.

On my main save everything is fully upgraded, so it's a bit weird going from that to actually dying to falls and sentinels and weather hazards. Before starting the survival save I don't think i've died to anything except my own grenades for hundreds of hours.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

StarkRavingMad posted:

I haven’t started a new game in a long time but there should really be a warning on Survival that is like “EXTREMELY HARD, not recommended for your first time playing, seriously this is like some NG+ challenge poo poo that no one plays”

Every time I see someone come into this thread who just got the game and they’re like “this game sucks WTF” I know they’ve started on survival
Yeah I was expecting the usual "easy mode for babies"/"real game"/"bullshit permadeath" arrangement, not "normal mode"/"gently caress you"/"lol triple gently caress you"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Splicer posted:

Yeah I was expecting the usual "easy mode for babies"/"real game"/"bullshit permadeath" arrangement, not "normal mode"/"gently caress you"/"lol triple gently caress you"

To be fair NMS does have easy mode for babies as well

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

creative mode is awesome

this baby does not enjoy grinding and just wants to fly around looking at planets and building bases without spending even a second worrying about resource or inventory management

also for obvious reasons the bases of other players you can encounter in creative mode are way more ridiculous

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I have died twice to environment/fauna combinations in my hundreds of hours playing. I have lost count of the number of times I've been mashing right click out of a menu and nuked myself with the geology cannon or plasma launcher or whatever it was. The "hard mode" is just a few hours of annoying hiding in caves at the beginning of the game and permadeath mode is just there for a cheevo. The game being harder does not alter the fact that you can shrug off all hazards and be richer than god 40 hours in.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The last death I can remember is when my ship glitched into the side of a freighter and vibrated to pieces (and I couldn't escape with the menu because for some reason the vibration was affecting the move controller cursor). I can't remember the last time I was killed by the environment

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1361809809419468809?s=19

Something comes

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

StarkRavingMad posted:

NMS Survival mode is p. much all I play; it's not really that harsh. Just requires paying more attention to planetary hazards and getting the appropriate hazard upgrades for planets I want to spend some time on. Even at the start of a game, sodium is fairly easy to find and once refined to sodium nitrate, Survival mode becomes a Bar Filling Simulator.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Libluini posted:

Add in people confusing freighters and haulers, and you cross the threshold into comedy

It also doesn't help that all freighters are listed as "Capital Ships" in-game, but there is also a separate category of "Capital" freighters (with their own C-S classes) which are distinct from (and much better than) the non-Capital freighters. Woe to the scrubs who didn't play their freighter rescue cards right and ended up with a free non-Capital Capital ship instead of a free Capital Capital ship!

dennyk fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 17, 2021

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Pets are in the game now, haven't had a chance to fire up it up but it looks like they can be pretty useful besides being cool!

https://www.nomanssky.com/companions-update/?cli_action=1613572637.059

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The only reason to play in permadeath is to get a couple more trophies after you've learned how portals work in normal mode so you can cheese a trip to the center of the galaxy in an hour or two on a new permadeath save. Trying to actually play the game that way is suffering.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Pets are in the game now, haven't had a chance to fire up it up but it looks like they can be pretty useful besides being cool!

There's a moose thing with lasers on it GOTY

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Survival can be nasty early on if you need to land on a planet that's pulled the 'oops all predators' card. That's happened to me a couple of times while trying to get copper and such. But yeah once you figure out how to play it just makes things more interesting imo.

Edit: uhh huh. Hazard protection isn't regenerating inside a cave, Stabilising just stops it from falling.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 17, 2021

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Thundarr posted:

The only reason to play in permadeath is to get a couple more trophies after you've learned how portals work in normal mode so you can cheese a trip to the center of the galaxy in an hour or two on a new permadeath save. Trying to actually play the game that way is suffering.

permadeath in a game where sometimes you walk around a corner in your freighter too fast and fall into space seems ... not ideal

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is that a living cactus cluster?!?!?!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

TheWorldsaStage posted:

*furiously goes through the list of discovered species to uncover the most unholy abomination to adopt*

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Dwesa posted:

*furiously goes through the list of discovered species to uncover the most unholy abomination to adopt*

You can also combine genes to make new eggs on the anomaly. So you can basically breed an unholy abomination if nature won't provide you with one.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Now I wish I remembered those planets I visited with massive creatures on them. Having one of those as a pet might be fun.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also is it just normal to get hundreds of carbon from random plants now? Is that a starting planet thing?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Have there been any rumblings about a Sentinel/enemy/combat update at some point down the line?

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Also is it just normal to get hundreds of carbon from random plants now? Is that a starting planet thing?

There was a bug in the release version of Origins that caused some planets to always give insane amounts of carbon (and oxygen from hostile flora) randomly. It's supposed to have been fixed but if you discovered that planet before it got patched out the effect seems to be permanent.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

StarkRavingMad posted:

Look at this dude, look at this absolute unit. He just strolls around all slow, like a fat guy, snacking on plants. He is totally unbothered by me. He is awesome and my new best friend.

Here he is next to my exosuit for scale. He is a big ol' boy.

I need to go back and find my bro again with this new update. I am so excited.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

You can increase a creatures size by tampering with their egg, so now I have to find a cool dinosaur and see how ludicrously huge I can make its descendants.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
i am going to mash eggs together until i create the most horrible monster i possibly can, and then raise it lovingly.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Can I have a 500 meter long sand worm as a pet? Because I have a planet with one of those. He's shy though so getting him in range of my pokeball may be hard.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Inzombiac posted:

Is that a living cactus cluster?!?!?!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I NEED IT

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Thundarr posted:

I still need to do this (Doing it in permadeath should also trigger the cheev for survival, right?), what's the best way to cheese this? Even getting to the part where you learn portal symbols would be a slog.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yes the perma run gets both the perma and survival trophies.

It still takes a little while in the Artemis quest line, unless you luck out and find a grave marker near your starting point. Once you have the first portal symbol and enough fuel for a few thousand ly of jumps you're basically done though.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Man, the planet I had a base on with the giant Brachiosaurus things must have rerolled during the last big update because they're extinct now :(

Also now my single-wing exotic doesn't fold out it's wings anymore when Intake off. :(

And I STILL cannot change the primary color on my freighter. >:(

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Now I gotta go look through my log to find which planets have the most horrific wildlife. Giant Lovecraftian crabs, weird half-rhino half-deer things that fly around on teeny little wings, whatever.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

blarzgh posted:

Man, the planet I had a base on with the giant Brachiosaurus things must have rerolled during the last big update because they're extinct now :(

Also now my single-wing exotic doesn't fold out it's wings anymore when Intake off. :(

And I STILL cannot change the primary color on my freighter. >:(

For your second thing, I had the exact same problem with the last reroll but restarting the game fixed it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beet posted:

There was a bug in the release version of Origins that caused some planets to always give insane amounts of carbon (and oxygen from hostile flora) randomly. It's supposed to have been fixed but if you discovered that planet before it got patched out the effect seems to be permanent.

This was a brand new save I started after this update (since I haven't played in a while) so I guess the bug is still around/back. I started on an ice world with no trees, just sparse little stick plants that give me 160 or so carbon when I mine them. No crazy oxygen from hostile flora though.