Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Desperado Bones posted:

About Valkyrie I already knew. Wasn't it gonna be Jane Foster? (I think it was implied in a Comic Con)

Eternals I didn't. I hope they do some good work with it.

They haven't said who. It might be Jane! But I would expect it's another character. And hopefully the Eternals thing isn't just a quick moment and carries more weight than that quick kiss they showed in the last Star Wars movie and wanted that to prove they're inclusive now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Oh god...the lesbian kiss. Oh god. Everyone was groaning at that scene. It's was so bad.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I’m kind of expecting Wanda to have made a deal with Agnes’ evil husband to take her magic via an ‘ideal sitcom life’ in exchange for Vision. But the TV trap has since been coopted by Wanda. But Agnes and her husband keep trying to course correct.

Interested to see what happens to Darcy next week.

Surely the boys will age up again next week?

Edit - The boys want to ‘grow up’ like their uncle after Darcy is introduced as a love interest.

Andrew_1985 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 14, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Desperado Bones posted:

Edit: Not only the kiss btw. The whole thing about Venom changing his mind from killing the human race because of Eddie, staying on earth because of Eddie, etc,etc (when Eddie never did anything that you would consider heroic). For me is was more a buddy cop relationship, with a bit of bromance.

They def ain't cops, p sure they eat a bunch of em

Their relationship is definitely shown as extremely intimate, starting with physical compatability, but a big part is that they learn to understand each other, Eddie going out of his way to learn to communicate with Venom and understand their needs and wants, while basically inviting Venom into his life and introducing them to the people he cares about, to the point where Venom realises they're similar but symbiote society as it is is implied to be really lovely and have nothing to really offer Venom besides a share of the next planet to devour before they move on. (There's something about predatory capitalism in there. Especially since the human antagonist is a Musk-ish CEO who makes a deal with the devil to feel even more special)

Am reminded that I still think it'd be a hilarious dynamic for any version of Eddie to have a grudge against Peter Parker for some reason or another, but nothing against Miles Morales and even kinda liking him. (Was a joke around the time that he can be Miles' other hobo uncle)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I mentioned this in the other thread but I just hope there's a reasonable explanation for the "recast" Quicksilver. Fox Pietro would be a somewhat reasonable explanation but it doesn't have to be that--other explanations would be fine with me. However, it would be pretty dumb if it was Mephisto and the reason was just like "haha yeah I can change reality but not my face so I put on this wig and hoped you'd fall for it somehow".

Argue fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 14, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oh, yeah, it'd be pretty dumb if they were going to that effort for the casting situation and just making it a joke of no real consequence, especially since they've signalled about leaning into multiverse stuff and that the Maximoffs are the only major characters shared between both sets of movies.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I care about nothing except ensuring that Evan Peters remains in the MCU and keeps acting like this.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
yeah i came into this thread after last week's episode specifically to voice my hopes that something was actually going to come out of us getting this version of Quicksilver and not just as a gag for the show. like, i think for me the ideal is we just get Evan Peters' Quicksilver in the MCU and it's as 'simple' as that. i can hope at least.

it's funny, back when promo images for DoFP were coming out and Quicksilver's appearance was revealed everyone was ready to hate him, myself included.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Andrew_1985 posted:

I’m kind of expecting Wanda to have made a deal with Agnes’ evil husband to take her magic via an ‘ideal sitcom life’ in exchange for Vision. But the TV trap has since been coopted by Wanda. But Agnes and her husband keep trying to course correct.

Interested to see what happens to Darcy next week.

Surely the boys will age up again next week?

Edit - The boys want to ‘grow up’ like their uncle after Darcy is introduced as a love interest.

I figure Darcy is gonna be fine. If she is changed, Vision is there and can restore her. But they're also in a more modern era, so she might not be changed at all. She's probably gonna help Vision figure some things out since they're both right there.

Also, since this is kind of related, Wanda's twins are another couple of people to represent the LGBTQ community. Tommy is bi and Billy is gay.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh god...the lesbian kiss. Oh god. Everyone was groaning at that scene. It's was so bad.

Just remembering 2019 where Disney gave us an easy to censor star wars lesbian kiss, and making a side character in a cartoon a lesbian and also a cop

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

About Valkyrie I already knew. Wasn't it gonna be Jane Foster? (I think it was implied in a Comic Con)

Eternals I didn't. I hope they do some good work with it.

Jane lusted after Thor hard so making her Valkyrie's love interest would be awkward. And it'd make it seem like Jane has a throne fetish.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

maybe she just finds asgardians really hot

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Jane lusted after Thor hard so making her Valkyrie's love interest would be awkward. And it'd make it seem like Jane has a throne fetish.

I hope you worded this wrong and didn't mean it but...
Maybe she was just bisexual this whole time, and found this lady more attractive? Like...people can be in the closet for decades. And can fall in love with other people after ending a relationship. :shrug:

Splash Attack posted:

maybe she just finds asgardians really hot

MCU's space people tend to be super hot.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Desperado Bones posted:

I hope you worded this wrong and didn't mean it but...
Maybe she was just bisexual this whole time, and found this lady more attractive? Like...people can be in the closet for decades. And can fall in love with other people after ending a relationship. :shrug:

I don't think the issue was that Valkyrie is a woman, it's that having a character have relationships with two successive Asgardian monarchs is a little weird.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

enki42 posted:

I don't think the issue was that Valkyrie is a woman, it's that having a character have relationships with two successive Asgardian monarchs is a little weird.

To be fair Asgardians are ridiculously attractive.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

enki42 posted:

This. It's not that she's sexually attracted to men and women, it's that she's in a relationship with the woman her ex named new leader of Asgard. Makes you wonder if Loki would've had a shot had he not tried to enslave Earth.

Then again, Thor dealing with Jane and Valkyrie in a relationship seems like something Waititi and Hemsworth would milk the poo poo out of.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 14, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

To be fair Asgardians are ridiculously attractive.

This.
Like I sad, most space people are hot.

live with fruit posted:

Then again, Thor dealing with Jane and Valkyrie in a relationship seems like something Waititi and Hemsworth would milk the poo poo out of.

This as well. It would be interesting to see a sober Thor return to earth only to find this other Thor who is dating Valkyrie. And that Thor is Jane. They can make an effort to write it good, like in Ant-man with the divorced parents actually being in good terms.

Edit: lol I think we are derailing.

New Wandavision when? I need it now.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

It will be interesting to see if their kids still exist after this.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Yeah; I kind of want the twins to still be around, both because Billy and Tommy are great characters in the comics and to see them around with Wanda would be a cool change to their dynamic (since they have had just a few moments together in the comics), and we would avoid the whole "Wanda goes even crazier after losing her kids".

Also, there has to be a reason we have barely seen scenes from the "Modern Family" episode, I'm guessing they are keeping the older versions of the twins under wraps (though I fear that if they are played by randos, then they are goners).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

radlum posted:

Yeah; I kind of want the twins to still be around, both because Billy and Tommy are great characters in the comics and to see them around with Wanda would be a cool change to their dynamic (since they have had just a few moments together in the comics), and we would avoid the whole "Wanda goes even crazier after losing her kids".

Also, there has to be a reason we have barely seen scenes from the "Modern Family" episode, I'm guessing they are keeping the older versions of the twins under wraps (though I fear that if they are played by randos, then they are goners).

If they can stay pre-teens from the 80s to the early 00s, they can stay that way through the early 10s. Plus, yeah, they recast Cassie Lange from a nobody in Endgame to Kathryn Newton, who's starred in her own movies before. When they age the twins up, they'll get real actors to play them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wouldn't the primary reason that they stayed pre-teens for that period be that it was only a stylistic change in the town and not actually a passage of 20 odd years? No-one else aged during that time either, for one thing. Plus, SWORD weren't watching 30 years of content prior to that point and it was only maybe a few weeks of time to them. Even if next week is the 2010s, the kids will probably still be the same age unless they react to something in the episode itself by artificially changing their age.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I just remembered something about certain scene from this last episode and the trailer Unless my mind is playing games I remember that one of the first teasers the twins were coming from down the stairs and said something "Our uncle is sleeping in the living room, don't wake him up" or "Our uncle is sleeping in the living room, mom said to not wake him up". If someone can find the first teasers with the twins in it please do so and prove me wrong.

But now in the aired episode they don't say that. Not even close. They came walking from another room. :psyduck:

Did they pull an Avengers Infinity wars/Endgame with fake scenes for the trailers? Or it's Wanda's Hex gonna glitch -like it can be seen in some past trailers- and we're gonna see scenes being repeated?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
They probably wouldn't make separate, eventually-easy-to-miss trailers part of the meta-narrative. May just be footage that didn't make the final cut.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 14, 2021

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

live with fruit posted:

This. It's not that she's sexually attracted to men and women, it's that she's in a relationship with the woman her ex named new leader of Asgard. Makes you wonder if Loki would've had a shot had he not tried to enslave Earth.

I would be surprised to find a woman that doesn't want to gently caress Loki into a coma.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Other than the opening, I thought this episode was less like Malcolm in the Middle and more like a Nickelodeon series.

I hope the aeronautical engineer is Shuri, and SWORD is stopped by a regiment of Dora Miljae popping out of Wakandan stealth ships

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The X-man cometh posted:

Other than the opening, I thought this episode was less like Malcolm in the Middle and more like a Nickelodeon series.

I hope the aeronautical engineer is Shuri, and SWORD is stopped by a regiment of Dora Miljae popping out of Wakandan stealth ships

Isn't the actress an antivaxxer or something

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Azhais posted:

Isn't the actress an antivaxxer or something

she posted a crazy antivax video, said she was just asking questions, then complained that she got cancelled when it blew up, then deleted her twitter

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BurritoJustice posted:

Could you imagine the collective meltdown if they made them the first proper MCU gay couple? The new (black) Captain America and his gruff WW2 era man out of time cyborg? Amazing.

A black man who represents America having a gay relationship with a Communist agent would cause a meltdown, I expect, but not the kind I think you're hoping for.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

eke out posted:

she posted a crazy antivax video, said she was just asking questions, then complained that she got cancelled when it blew up, then deleted her twitter

Does Disney know how to pick em or what?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

eke out posted:

The video was also racist and transphobic.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

eke out posted:

She’s still rumored to be the new Black Panther, and there hasn’t been any word of being dumped yet. Hopefully she learned from Gina Carano and shuts the gently caress up.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Edmund Lava posted:

She’s still rumored to be the new Black Panther, and there hasn’t been any word of being dumped yet. Hopefully she learned from Gina Carano and shuts the gently caress up.

Are those rumors anything more substantial than people on Twitter guessing?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Edmund Lava posted:

People with those sorts of beliefs rarely learn the correct lesson, and if those are the beliefs she is posting on twitter I bet she is absolutely delightful in person.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The Dave posted:

It doesn't seem like anyone knows anything really. There were rumors a couple of weeks ago that the guy from Bridgerton is going to be the new Black Panther.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

The Dave posted:

always possible I missed a scoop somewhere, but afaik, it's just speculation based on Shuri's history in the comics. some of the actual reporting has alluded to Wright having a bigger role in the sequel, but not specifically as to whether or not Shuri might be taking on the Black Panther role

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

As far as making Wakanda/BP films without Boseman, I feel like making Shuri the lead is far and away the obvious choice by way of popularity and the tech-genius hook, whether or not the character actually takes on the BP mantle. We'll see if the actor goes further down the Carano hole, though.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

As far as making Wakanda/BP films without Boseman, I feel like making Shuri the lead is far and away the obvious choice by way of popularity and the tech-genius hook, whether or not the character actually takes on the BP mantle. We'll see if the actor goes further down the Carano hole, though.

The thing about that is that she was T'Challa's Oracle in the first movie. If she takes over the mantle, who's going to drive the VR cars?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

In terms of the Yo-Magic commercial, I've figured four different readings of it:

- Going with the "commercials = Wanda's trauma in chronological order" pattern, it's how she was during Captain America: Civil War. To a lesser extent, the way she was trapped in house arrest, but mostly how she was during the final act. When Iron Man visited the island prison, the other prisoners shouted abuse at him, but Wanda just sat in her cell, dead-eyed with a straitjacket on. The situation absolutely hosed her up.

- The people in Westview, especially those who are living animated gifs, are doomed to die. There's a ticking clock to this situation and somebody has to do something soon.

- Whatever the unseen major evil is (Mephisto, Nightmare, etc.), it's feeding on Wanda's magic. Considering Pietro is probably something sinister, his opening line about wanting to squeeze his sister to death comes off as creepier in retrospect.

- Based on the theory that each commercial coincides with a different Infinity Stone, the claymation kid's fate is much like Red Skull's on Vormir, tying things into the Soul Stone.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Their relationship is definitely shown as extremely intimate, starting with physical compatability, but a big part is that they learn to understand each other, Eddie going out of his way to learn to communicate with Venom and understand their needs and wants, while basically inviting Venom into his life and introducing them to the people he cares about, to the point where Venom realises they're similar but symbiote society as it is is implied to be really lovely and have nothing to really offer Venom besides a share of the next planet to devour before they move on. (There's something about predatory capitalism in there. Especially since the human antagonist is a Musk-ish CEO who makes a deal with the devil to feel even more special)

Venom suffers from tonal whiplash and cliche stock villains, but man, the characterization of the symbiotic relationship being literally "we need each other because we're both total losers" was a great and funny take on what has otherwise historically been peak 90s edgelord. I was pleasantly surprised Sony went in that direction and didn't just make him all grimdark. Fox even managed to avoid that with Cable, more or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

sticklefifer posted:

Venom suffers from tonal whiplash and cliche stock villains, but man, the characterization of the symbiotic relationship being literally "we need each other because we're both total losers" was a great and funny take on what has otherwise historically been peak 90s edgelord. I was pleasantly surprised Sony went in that direction and didn't just make him all grimdark. Fox even managed to avoid that with Cable, more or less.

I also think Venom did good by having the ex's boyfriend not be an obvious douche, and then when he gets wrapped up in Venom's bullshit he's nothing but helpful to Eddie. Venom did a lot of poo poo right imo.