Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

As far as making Wakanda/BP films without Boseman, I feel like making Shuri the lead is far and away the obvious choice by way of popularity and the tech-genius hook, whether or not the character actually takes on the BP mantle. We'll see if the actor goes further down the Carano hole, though.

If anything, the whole Carano deal shows that if things get too heavy, Disney can get rid of someone that brings too much problems for them, and in Wright's case, though she is a good actress (far better than Carano), I think being anti vaxx in these times can be harmful to her career in the long run, so I think she won't double down on that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Doctor Nutt posted:

I also think Venom did good by having the ex's boyfriend not be an obvious douche, and then when he gets wrapped up in Venom's bullshit he's nothing but helpful to Eddie. Venom did a lot of poo poo right imo.
I appreciated that Ant-Man did this with Bobby Cannavale's character too, and by the time the second movie rolls around they all get along.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sticklefifer posted:

I appreciated that Ant-Man did this with Bobby Cannavale's character too, and by the time the second movie rolls around they all get along.

I loved how utterly normal Scott Lang's life and problems are outside the super-people stuff. Best moment for me was when he, Hank and Hope were captured and then Cassie called about her soccer shoes.

I'm really looking forward to Friday to see how Darcy deals with things. It's pretty clear that when most people in Westview aren't subsumed into the Sitcom Narrative, they're pretty much terrified of Wanda. Darcy... won't be. She's been around Jane and Thor. She helped them save the world (or at least London) from alien elves. I can imagine Darcy freaking Wanda out a little bit by not freaking out. Maybe fan-girling over the sitcom and just being generally curious - like a fan brought to the set of their favorite show.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 14, 2021

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
This episode and most definitely the next one have been trending into the "self-aware/self-conscious" structural trend in family sitcoms (possibly a parallel to Wanda's slowly losing her grip on everyone, definitely a parallel to Vision and others gradually becoming aware of the truth), so it's a toss-up as to whether Darcy gets fully sucked in. And even if she does, Vision may recognize her from his brief sojourn outside the Hex and snap her out of it long enough to learn more.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 15, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If they don't have Darcy appear in some variation of her waitress outfit from 2 broke girls what was even the point

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like Darcy showing up in a waitress outfit for a one-scene gag but not drawing attention to it would skirt the good end of the Fun <---> Stupid line of fictional media/characters recognizing real-world media/actors.

The other end of that line is Ocean's 12.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Supercar Gautier posted:

As far as making Wakanda/BP films without Boseman, I feel like making Shuri the lead is far and away the obvious choice by way of popularity and the tech-genius hook, whether or not the character actually takes on the BP mantle. We'll see if the actor goes further down the Carano hole, though.

Bring back Killmonger from the dead and redeem him :colbert:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

Bring back Killmonger from the dead and redeem him :colbert:

Okoye is the clear choice.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

live with fruit posted:

Okoye is the clear choice.

You spelled M'Baku wrong.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Jedit posted:

You spelled M'Baku wrong.

The guy in the gorilla mask who doesn't even like sea level Wakanda?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Nakia is an experienced intelligence operative with great knowledge of the outside world and was the one who pushed T'Challa to change and embrace becoming part of the larger world and helping other nations, and she was the River Tribes' Champion at the King Ceremony, AND she was T'challa's romantic interest and could have easily married him and become queen at any time AND she has a built in character arc in taking over sole rule of Wakanda because now she has to operate within the political constraints of the Throne which was something she showed she didn't really understand during the Killmonger crisis.

...there's no way she's gonna be the new Black Panther. :(

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

Nakia is an experienced intelligence operative with great knowledge of the outside world and was the one who pushed T'Challa to change and embrace becoming part of the larger world and helping other nations, and she was the River Tribes' Champion at the King Ceremony, AND she was T'challa's romantic interest and could have easily married him and become queen at any time AND she has a built in character arc in taking over sole rule of Wakanda because now she has to operate within the political constraints of the Throne which was something she showed she didn't really understand during the Killmonger crisis.

...there's no way she's gonna be the new Black Panther. :(

She's also the most likely one to dissolve the monarchy, which is something the series has to deal with eventually. But then, if there's no throne, there's no Dora Milaje and Okoye's gonna need a new job.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Clearly the solution is just to put Storm in charge.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

sticklefifer posted:

I feel like Darcy showing up in a waitress outfit for a one-scene gag but not drawing attention to it would skirt the good end of the Fun <---> Stupid line of fictional media/characters recognizing real-world media/actors.

The other end of that line is Ocean's 12.

I'm sure she'll just be the Aubrey Plaza character in this week's 2010s era sitcom.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
WandaVision not doing Arrested Development is a missed opportunity.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lid posted:

The finale's GOT to be The Good Place tho, right?

I mean: RIGHT?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
good place isn't a family sitcom.

These have all been familial relationship sitcoms.

It's why you didn't get like Friends or Seinfield.

Exasperated Badger
Jun 9, 2009

"Come," he says. "Let me tell you a story. Once, there were four stalwart heroes..."
The finale's gotta be WandaVison.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dexo posted:

good place isn't a family sitcom.

These have all been familial relationship sitcoms.

It's why you didn't get like Friends or Seinfield.

So It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is fair game?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

cant cook creole bream posted:

I would allow it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
David Cross as Thanos.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the netflix punisher is coming in to shoot wanda and blow up her family

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

live with fruit posted:

She's also the most likely one to dissolve the monarchy, which is something the series has to deal with eventually.

Why. There has been no indication that the monarchy is making the citizens of Wakanda unhappy, the only unrest we saw was from another member of the royal family upset about foreign policy

Svensken
May 29, 2010
It's a theocratic dictatorship. I'm going to go ahead and say that what the members of the monarchy see is not necessarily the sum total of public opinion.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
aw hell yeah hit me with the colonizer takes about Wakanda

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Terror Sweat posted:

Why. There has been no indication that the monarchy is making the citizens of Wakanda unhappy, the only unrest we saw was from another member of the royal family upset about foreign policy

I mean, that absolute power can be obtained by punching someone really good is an issue that probably warrants some sort of re-evaluation of leadership law, even setting aside whether any monarchy is ever okay.

(Insert "Killmonger did nothing wrong" memes here)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm kind of wondering how they'll work around how someone else even becomes Black Panther after T'Challa's demise in the story, given that Killmonger burned all the heart shaped herb and T'Challa ingested the last one. They'll probably say that was just one colony in the royal palace, and T'Challa was able to discover another or nurture more due to his spiritual connection or something, but they don't really seem like something that'd be growing wild (or there'd be at least one other Black Panther running around after finding some of them) and there's no reason the palace would have multiple plantations of them but only burn one on the king's orders. It might even tie in to the narrative, with the next ruler needing both to fight for the throne and to find some heart shaped herb to truly become ruler.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's Always Sunny in Westview. I guess Pietro is Charlie, but who's Frank?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Boxman posted:

setting aside whether any monarchy is ever okay.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Boxman posted:

I mean, that absolute power can be obtained by punching someone really good is an issue that probably warrants some sort of re-evaluation of leadership law, even setting aside whether any monarchy is ever okay.

(Insert "Killmonger did nothing wrong" memes here)

What's a better system, democratic votes that favor the rich and connected? Weighted parliaments that disenfranchise vast swaths of their constituents? A man jumps into a lake and takes another man's cock off with an ice cream scoop, that happened. He didn't benefit from the gerrymandered redistricting of his region to have an unfair advantage in ice cream scooping that man's cock off, he did it with his own abilities.

What I'm saying is that we need more fights to the death to determine leadership, not less.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
It was in your heart (shaped herb) all along?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the netflix punisher is coming in to shoot wanda and blow up her family

Weeds.

The ultimate family comedy.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Lid posted:

More like the Who?ssos.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

I'm kind of wondering how they'll work around how someone else even becomes Black Panther after T'Challa's demise in the story, given that Killmonger burned all the heart shaped herb and T'Challa ingested the last one. They'll probably say that was just one colony in the royal palace, and T'Challa was able to discover another or nurture more due to his spiritual connection or something, but they don't really seem like something that'd be growing wild (or there'd be at least one other Black Panther running around after finding some of them) and there's no reason the palace would have multiple plantations of them but only burn one on the king's orders. It might even tie in to the narrative, with the next ruler needing both to fight for the throne and to find some heart shaped herb to truly become ruler.

Or Shuri will just create a synthetic herb.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

tsob posted:

With the multiverse about to be a thing, they could always get some from Wakanda in another universe.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Shuri: "I analyzed Bucky's blood and made an ever better super soldier serum that I've grown into this new plant."

Me: "I want to smoke that plant"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bleck posted:

aw hell yeah hit me with the colonizer takes about Wakanda

I mean, the seminal TNC/Stelfreeze run on the comic (both Black creators) which hugely influenced Coogler and the art team on the film was explicitly about reforming the Wakandan government to a constitutional monarchy with an elected council representing the tribes.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Shuri is going to have to eat some of her brother's flesh to get power, which will also kick off Marvel Zombies in the MCU.

In all seriousness though, I'm sure they will have it be a plot point in the movie. Shuri is unsure if she's worthy to inherit the mantle through the movie, she can't replicate the plant, she then somehow sees a vision of her brother, in his spiritual panther form, and she's led to a secret glen of them growing in the wild, which she then takes and transplants some back to grow in the capital. Then at the end of the movie after she takes some, she is fully introduced as the new Black Panther, powers and all. Alternately you can swap out Shuri for any other character who actual takes up the mantle.

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 15, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

They’ll discover the Heart Shaped Herb growing on T’challa’s grave. It’s likely all the previous monarchs would have taken the counter drug before dying, as they pass the mantle of Black Panther on to their successor usually before they pass away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

live with fruit posted:

Or Shuri will just create a synthetic herb.

Heart-shaped spice.