Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Read your kid Neuromancer and they'll be prepared for the future/present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Mooey Cow posted:

Read your kid Neuromancer and they'll be prepared for the future/present

i long for the day i can just plug my brain into a computer and gently caress off for eternity
get me out of this wretched meatsack immediately

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

If you want to make sure your kid is forever disinterested in LOTR, try starting them off with The Hobbit, but make sure it's the version with this cover.

My dad got me this as a kid, and it worked like a charm! I could not have been more disinterested in the adventures of some fat doofus.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

LadyPictureShow posted:

If you want to make sure your kid is forever disinterested in LOTR, try starting them off with The Hobbit, but make sure it's the version with this cover.

My dad got me this as a kid, and it worked like a charm! I could not have been more disinterested in the adventures of some fat doofus.

Why is Squidward in The Hobbit?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hbag posted:

i long for the day i can just plug my brain into a computer and gently caress off for eternity

Wow someone’s never played Mario kart.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

hbag posted:

That's Mona Lisa Overdrive

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

Do you want the good news or the bad news? The bad news is that Smaug has burned down your village. Gutting, I know. On the bright side, I found this ring, so...

There’s no good news Bilbo, there’s only bad news and irrelevant news.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Read them warhammer 40k books so they run around screaming Blood for the Blood God

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Have you considered showing your spawn this instead?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobitit

muffler
Feb 12, 2021

by sebmojo
you guys are bumming me out with all this tom bombadil hate

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

muffler posted:

not casting will ferrel as tom in the movies was a crime

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Tom Bombadolt

Tolkien sucked, he thought way too highly of himself and his work

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Singing full on songs with lyrics and all in books is really dumb 95% of the time

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp8_FzJO458

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

muffler posted:

Real talk Tom bombadil was one of my favorite guys in the books because while everyone is running around all dramatic like fighting dumb wars, he's just skipping through the woods high as a kite doing his own thing and sometimes saving idiots who get lost near his woods. He also has a mega hot wife that I presume he bonka bim bones every night.

It's just his songs and all the other songs are so very annoying.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Hey, Tom Bombadil
Tom Bombadildo

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

My children must defeat me in a first to 10 in street fighter to get anything from me.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
tom bombadil fuckin owns

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
tom bumbaclot

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
everyone at council of elrond: lets give tom Bombadil the ring!

gandalf: ehhhhh i'm not sure about that, he's been real flakey

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sometimes I wish everyone had just told gandolf to gently caress off with his bullshit.
We get it gandolf. Christ.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Waterbed Wendy posted:

tom bumbaclot

loving :lol:

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
His friends knew him as tommy

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
lord of the rings sucks but one of my clients has this grey cat named gandalf and he's a big cutie patoot and i like it when i see him on zoom calls. maybe just get a cat

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Cats friggin suck. Just get a real wizard

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My son wants me to watch him play YMCA flag football I’m like buddy I can watch actual professional football players from the comfort of my own couch I’m not going out in the freezing rear end cold on a Saturday morning to watch a bunch of nine year olds who are nearly universally terrible at playing football.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

Cats friggin suck. Just get a real wizard

What size litterbox do you recommend?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

When she was young, if my daughter had insisted on me reading her Lord of the Rings I would have done it

But I would have demanded a paternity test first before committing to that

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

You forgot the pages of songs about hobbits feet....

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Madness posted:

You forgot the pages of songs about hobbits feet....

Never speak this way about me again.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Empty Sandwich posted:

my kids were clamoring for a bedtime story one night when it was really, really late and I was exhausted, so I pretend-angrily read them the first chapter of Finnegan's Wake, bowdlerizing the obvious cusses.

they thought it was hilarious

Amazing.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

man
i miss being read bedtime stories

...actually i think i just miss being a dumbshit 5 year old with no responsibilities

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Icochet posted:

I like the very first Moomin that starts with Moomintroll trying to commit suicide

Hobbits just frolic

Which story's this? I have a bunch of Mumin story books that I read from to my son from time to time but never encountered this one before, lol.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Do it ironically posted:

Tom Bombadolt

Tolkien sucked, he thought way too highly of himself and his work

There's a story about Lewis and Tolkien panning Snow White because Disney was some dumb farm boy and imagine what it might have been had it been made by someone with education.

So it's pretty funny they got their opuses adapted by Disney and fuckin' Ralph Bakshi, lol.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Gollum is a baldhead. Smeagol is irie.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Das Boo posted:

There's a story about Lewis and Tolkien panning Snow White because Disney was some dumb farm boy and imagine what it might have been had it been made by someone with education.

So it's pretty funny they got their opuses adapted by Disney and fuckin' Ralph Bakshi, lol.

interesting that it was two people who suck saying that. i wondered if they ever stepped back and considered that as people who suck they probably shouldn't throw stones

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

KonvexKonkav posted:

Which story's this? I have a bunch of Mumin story books that I read from to my son from time to time but never encountered this one before, lol.

iirc the first Moomin comic strip album starts with Moomintroll trying to drown himself and is fished up by Moominpappa who thinks it's barrel of whiskey

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Thats misspelled, its a bundle of dicks , not sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
all of this suicide troll talk reminds me that the Wil Huygen gnome books are interesting and sometimes grim.

these dudes: