Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Inzombiac posted:

Portland and Eugene and mostly okay but anywhere else is a mess.

Astoria loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CPL593H posted:

I never understood why burning a flag as an act of protest or whatever is bad but then they also "retire" a flag by burning it. Either you can burn the loving thing or not.

Well, you see when a GOOD, GOD FEARING WHITE AMERICAN burns a flag thats a little bit dirty, its ok. But if anyone who isn't a GOOD, GOD FEARING WHITE AMERICAN its an act punishable by death.

The Bloop posted:

Not defending flag worship weirdness here but surely you are aware of the concept of context?

There are many, many actions that are extremely bad and wrong in some circumstances that are good and virtuous in others from crossing the street to killing another human being

Also what this goon said.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Tip posted:

There were 169 (:nice:) stores across 23 states and they didn't go out of business until 1997 so it seems like something that would be more known.

169 stores isn't a huge number when most mid-tier retailers often end up with 1,000+ in the US. Best was more on the order of other retail companies that came and went prior to the Internet, like Gold Circle or Zayre. Even if you heard of them, you likely haven't thought of them for decades.

The Best shopping experience was definitely different, being a "catalog showroom". Most items had a single display unit, and you'd add the numbers to an order sheet you gave to the staff, who would then retrieve it from a warehouse. They weren't the only ones of the time. Best had a non-compete agreement with Service Merchandise, another catalog store that went out of business in 2002.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Pug Rodeo posted:

Astoria loving owns.

I spent one night in Astoria and we got asked quietly to leave 2 bars cause 2 of our group were black and Mexican and the bartenders were nervous lol

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

I spent one night in Astoria and we got asked quietly to leave 2 bars cause 2 of our group were black and Mexican and the bartenders were nervous lol

Interesting. I don’t doubt your story, I’ve just only known it as a liberal leaning small town full of great breweries and food.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I went to Asstorehha last night and boy is my toilet bloody.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Tarkus posted:

I'm the kind of person who reads newspapers from the last 70 years for fun every day and I've never seen or heard of this company. These are some of the most brilliant storefronts I've ever seen, super loving cool. Where did you get these images from?

Sure, they look cool, but I can't imagine the amount of effort it takes to maintain those facades.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC
A number of moons ago, I traveled frequently for employment and had the rare pleasure of stopping over for the weekend in Jackson, MS
I stayed at the Hilton Garden https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/ja...2Vic2l0ZQ%3D%3D which doesn't really fit the theme of this thread, but it was really quite nice.
The view from my room, however:

is reminiscent of some sort of fevered post-apocalyptia in the making.
This theme was furthered at my late lunch/early dinner at the bar in The Iron Horse Grill http://www.theironhorsegrill.com/ where the local high school was taking their prom pictures as I dined and supped

.. which I found to be just, well, weird.

Upon sating my belly and thirst I was, no kidding here, warned about a pack of wild dogs in the area and, to the best of my ability, avoid them.

That picture was taken at about the halfway point between the bar and hotel. Directly behind me was a train trestle which was the temporary home of a homeless woman(?) whom I gave my leftover dinner to.

The following morning, I embarked in search of local breakfast type sustenance only to be confronted by
https://imgur.com/xSJICKX
(don't know how to make that in line ..)
That was one of the creepiest experiences I have ever had. I walked for a good 20 minutes at least before encountering another "human".

Bonus pic from separate trip:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mosnar posted:

A number of moons ago, I traveled frequently for employment and had the rare pleasure of stopping over for the weekend in Jackson, MS
I stayed at the Hilton Garden https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/ja...2Vic2l0ZQ%3D%3D which doesn't really fit the theme of this thread, but it was really quite nice.

This theme was furthered at my late lunch/early dinner at the bar in The Iron Horse Grill http://www.theironhorsegrill.com/ where the local high school was taking their prom pictures as I dined and supped

Upon sating my belly and thirst I was, no kidding here, warned about a pack of wild dogs in the area and, to the best of my ability, avoid them.

That picture was taken at about the halfway point between the bar and hotel. Directly behind me was a train trestle which was the temporary home of a homeless woman(?) whom I gave my leftover dinner to.

The following morning, I embarked in search of local breakfast type sustenance only to be confronted by
That was one of the creepiest experiences I have ever had. I walked for a good 20 minutes at least before encountering another "human".

Please just write like a normal person

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
americana.txt is being either functionally illiterate or hyperliterate with respect to like 4 books none of which are less than a century old one of which is the bible

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

The Bloop posted:

Not defending flag worship weirdness here but surely you are aware of the concept of context?

There are many, many actions that are extremely bad and wrong in some circumstances that are good and virtuous in others from crossing the street to killing another human being

I guess I just find all of it to be a bunch of wacky nonsense is what I'm getting at.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

AKZ posted:

Oh poo poo speaking of Ripley's the Wisconsin Dells is peak weird Americana. My neighbor calls it Sconnie Vegas.

I can attest to this.

I believe it also has the most water parks in the world. Which is odd because WI is a frozen tundra for 3-4 months out of the year.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

CPL593H posted:

I guess I just find all of it to be a bunch of wacky nonsense is what I'm getting at.

Yeah, it's americana.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I feel like this monument to obesity exemplifies what is Americana. My family would always stop here whenever we would go visit the grandparents as a kid.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

SimplyCosmic posted:

169 stores isn't a huge number when most mid-tier retailers often end up with 1,000+ in the US. Best was more on the order of other retail companies that came and went prior to the Internet, like Gold Circle or Zayre. Even if you heard of them, you likely haven't thought of them for decades.

The Best shopping experience was definitely different, being a "catalog showroom". Most items had a single display unit, and you'd add the numbers to an order sheet you gave to the staff, who would then retrieve it from a warehouse. They weren't the only ones of the time. Best had a non-compete agreement with Service Merchandise, another catalog store that went out of business in 2002.

Wilbro, a really small retailer with a handful of locations, was another catalog showroom. Its headquarters was in Dothan.

My hometown had another example: Sears Catalog Stores.

It was an even smaller showroom, almost entirely of appliances. You could order stuff out of the catalog to be shipped there, which is how I got a Nintendo. My Dad asked if I wanted one. I had no idea what they were, but it was a toy so I was all for it. We went up to the Sears Catalog Store to order one, but as it turned out, someone else had, but had never picked it up and offered us a chance to buy it. Dad plucked down the money and we went home with a Nintendo.

I have no doubt that he really wanted the Nintendo and framed it to Mom that it was me who was asking for it. Indeed, he played more of it than I did for a couple of years.

Almost all the Sears Catalog Stores closed in 1993. I don't know if ours made it that long. Even if it did, it was definitely going to to be converted into anything else as even Sears had enough sense not to try and do business in a town with three stoplights.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

I want to go see one of these replicas of Noah's Ark for shits & giggles. Is this the one in Kentucky?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Mosnar posted:

Who among us doesn't have a Cracker Barrel button on their phone? I ain't got time to dial when I'm jonesin' for some greasy vittles.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I tried to watch the Carpetbagger guy on YouTube and he’s completely intolerable

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Who among us doesn't have a Cracker Barrel button on their phone? I ain't got time to dial when I'm jonesin' for some greasy vittles.

The cracker barrel has got to be the hotel restaurant.

Right????

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I feel like this monument to obesity exemplifies what is Americana. My family would always stop here whenever we would go visit the grandparents as a kid.

I went to college in OKC for a bit, and this was always the pee break stop on the way to and from home in Missouri.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mosnar posted:

This might be the loving creepiest poo poo I've seen written on these forums in a long time.

The gently caress is wrong with you? Who talks like this?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Wallace, Idaho is pretty neat little town. It's nestled in a narrow valley and they used to do a lot of silver mining in the region. They still do some mining too I believe but not so much anymore.

In the 70s there was a big disaster in one of the mines that I heard about growing up over in nearbyish Spokane. My best friend's mom lived there in the 70s and like everyone in Wallace knew someone who died in the mine. Ninety-one people died in the Sunshine Mine disaster.

They also had the last stoplight on 1-90, which was removed in the 90s with great ceremony and now lies in the museum they have.

Around the same time they declared Wallace to be the center of the universe.

Because it is on 1-90 it still gets a steady stream of visitors and it's main street is little cafes and the aforementioned museum and antique malls and etc. They have festivals in the summer and even when my husband and I visited in November a few years back the micro-brewery and most of the shops and the museum was open.

The mining museum is pretty good. They had to make a huge 3-D map of the Sunshine Mine for the investigation afterwards and there's this cabinet cube of dozens of hand-painted glass panes for each layer of the mine. There was also a walkthrough reconstructed mine and lots of exhibits on mining ore and minerals which okay maybe you'd find it boring but I love learning more about the dynamic Earth under our feets.

Apparently there is a bordello museum but it wasn't open when I was there. They also filmed the movie Dante's Peak in the area, hence all the movie props in the museum.

Wallace, won't you?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Bloop posted:

What the gently caress?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Yo this dude dines and sups GET HIM!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

I never understood why burning a flag as an act of protest or whatever is bad but then they also "retire" a flag by burning it. Either you can burn the loving thing or not.

It's bullshit, man, I once tried to argue that torching a nursing home was actually no worse than a cremation, but the (stacked) jury refused to listen.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
flags are jusr as important as people yeah

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Cracker Barrel Button seems like luxury but really it's necessity

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Robo Reagan posted:

Moreso, even. There is a flag on the moon, but no people.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
thats what the us govt wants you to think

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

When the Conan o'Brien look-a-like was elected president of the republic, some bunch of American loonies stated that they'd fly to Finland to burn the Finnish flag because we had a homosexual president and that was... ??? (Tarja Halonen is married to a dude and has a daughter so IDK).

It got some traction in the news but mainly because of "SOMEONE MENTIONED FINLAND", not because anyone gave a poo poo.

E: it may have been the Westboro Idiots.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 14, 2021

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SimplyCosmic posted:

I liked service merchandise too but taht's probably because i was young and had the best video game demos. I guess I liked the layout well enough. Building wasn't as fancy though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

americana.txt is being either functionally illiterate or hyperliterate with respect to like 4 books none of which are less than a century old one of which is the bible

lmao no

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Big Beef City posted:

This might be the loving creepiest poo poo I've seen written on these forums in a long time.

You try typing with one hand and see what it does to your grammar and diction.
Tax: from Kentucky or Tennessee, don't remember

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Big Beef City posted:

Your weird over-reaction to a decent Americana.jpg thread post is creepier?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Benny Harvey posted:

If it's damaged it's supposed to be burned. I poo poo you not.

Though tbh, it makes sense to me in a way. Quick death Vs rotting around in rubbish.

Hang on, are we still talking about American flags, or America in general?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Chrpno posted:

Hang on, are we still talking about American flags, or America in general?

yes

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

There are quite a few of these between Vegas and LA, which coincidentally is where I grew up. Look up Trona, CA on google maps for an example.

I did this and I have questions like what the hell do people do here? Most of the houses look boarded up and abandoned but there were cars parked out the front

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

screaden posted:

I did this and I have questions like what the hell do people do here? Most of the houses look boarded up and abandoned but there were cars parked out the front

https://youtu.be/pNBNRFTxSKk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

steinrokkan posted:

It's bullshit, man, I once tried to argue that torching a nursing home was actually no worse than a cremation, but the (stacked) jury refused to listen.

Are you okay?