Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

How someone could adore Demon's Souls and hate Dark Souls is absolutely beyond me, considering it's bar none the slowest game in the series.

I kinda agree, but at the same time I've always felt like DeS was 'snappier' than DS, the animations are a bit more accentuated (similar to BB), and I played it as a glass-cannon so I always felt very maneuverable...which is just a less viable strat in DS, so I could see how people might find DS a little 'clunky'. DS3 tho, nothin clunky about that game, especially considering how robust its dual-wield system is, the game is practically as anime as Bloodborne with builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Real hurthling! posted:

Just a heads up the free guilty gear strive beta starts for all playstation owners on the 18th. Plus not required

Should be quite the audio visual treat to check out even if you arent interested in buying the game.

I've been playing a lot of DBFZ and I've decided that I'm getting into fighting games this year so I'm super keen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

looks like there's a class action suit going re: the DS5 stick drift

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

looks like there's a class action suit going re: the DS5 stick drift

I had to return one but it was the right stick. Apparently everyone else is getting left? I'm also not sure what the class action is about don't you just return the thing and get a replacement?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
A couple hours into DS3 and I really love it so far, it certainly feels like Bloodborne but it’s Darksouls with a little Demon’s sprinkled in.

DS2 had tons of content but some of the bosses (Alonne/Semlter Demons/ twin tigers) had you going through real slogs of annoying enemies to get an attempt in. I dont think I would want to replay it anytime soon.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

I had to return one but it was the right stick. Apparently everyone else is getting left? I'm also not sure what the class action is about don't you just return the thing and get a replacement?

someone butthurt

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Every non joycon controller uses the same standard analog part from the same company

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

How someone could adore Demon's Souls and hate Dark Souls is absolutely beyond me, considering it's bar none the slowest game in the series.

My limited attempts at Dark Souls left me with the distinct impression that it was a game, at its core, about waiting. Waiting to attack, waiting to parry, blocking and waiting for stamina to regen, just the entire game was telling me to play at its speed.

Demon’s Souls does not feel this way at all. As a wizard you just spam spells and roll out of the way, as Paladin I just tank through big attacks and shrug them off with regen while i continue my relentless assault. NuDes makes me feel like I can always use my superior mobility to my advantage, Dark Souls always felt like it was punishing me for trying to do anything other than slowly kite skeletons in Undead Burg, then slowly kite zombies in Blighttown, then slooooooowly kite knights in Anor Londo...

All the other games let you just cruise through the game at your own pace, IMO, so it feels like I get to play more of them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I wouldn't say Dark Souls is bad but Demon Souls is weirder, more experimental, and imho just a more unique experience. It's From's Soviet Kitsch before Begin to Hope.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Bust Rodd posted:

[Pacing in Dark Souls]

It's this. You just perfectly articulated what's always bugged me about Dark Souls. Much as I love being a trapper and AI psychologist in games, Dark Souls has no effective trap tools beyond pure reflex, so an entire gameplay loop about kiting and exploiting AI has no real ways to have fun with that. It's just parry-smack ad nauseum. It gets old! There's no way to turn a random goat into Yuri Goatgarin, first ungulate in SPACE...No way to get a new head to wear as a hat by having that same head smash itself silly while you cackle like a loon. They're very good games, I suppose, but there's no real way to make your own fun -- set your own pace if you wanna get all smartypants about it -- so you play how it wants you to play along those very specifically proscribed lines and no other way.

To paraphrase a surprisingly rad child, "You can't tell that fish what to do!"

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the problems with the dark souls games is that they lose their elite luster, unlike demons souls, which remains pure

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Casnorf posted:

It's just parry-smack ad nauseum. It gets old!

Man, I don't feel this way at all about Dark Souls -- there are so many cool strategies based around dodging, using tools, using the environment, etc. Yes, some bosses present a more limited set of options, but you can happily beat the game never parrying or blocking a single time. Hell, you can beat the game killing almost no enemies except bosses, and kill all the bosses with sorcery if that's your jam.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Only wack losers play Dark Souls games with a shield tbf

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Dark souls owns and anyone saying otherwise is just being unnecessarily nit-picky

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I dislike using a shield just gimme the biggest home run bat you've got.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it’s Hbomb who argues that even though Souls games are kinda known for blocking that’s actually one of the least fun ways to play the game and I totally agree

GREAT CLUB GANG

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its all good

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

whats the shield button you parry with a weapon when i say parry-smack i meant within the context of how i approach games since the items and tools at your disposal are largely there to serve the smack side of things

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

I liked Fallen Order more than DS3

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh the corny e-peen swinging from Dark Souls players about never using a shield is probably part of why some people got annoyed with Dark Souls 3. There are a bunch of low poise enemies that do mega fast combos on you that become infinitely easier if you just pull the shield off your back for 2 seconds and let them run out of stamina hitting it.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
After bloodborne I stopped using a shield in souls games, the game just trained me that dodging/rolling was the move so I never pulled it out again.

Well except for the first couple hours of Demon's Souls remake, before I remembered that I'd rather be rolling.

But I don't begrudge anyone their shields up approach.

I hated Fallen Order mainly because the level structure was so confusing and not in ways that I liked. I love From level design, but Fallen Order felt like it screwed up trying to emulate that. Also finding things in the environment felt mostly pointless because most of it was cosmetics, and some of the enemy attacks felt cheap as hell, combat did not feel nearly as fluid as the Souls games. I also realized after Squadrons that all these modern day Star Wars games have really left me wanting and I should probably stop buying them. I'm always really impressed for the first hour or two and then that wears off and I just find myself bored or annoyed.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Volte posted:

How so? In all the ways that they seem similar to me, AC came first, although I haven't played Odyssey or Valhalla. For all that Ubisoft gets dunked on for constantly iterating on the same basic open-world formula, I don't think we'd have BotW as it exists without it.

The two main ones that stood out to me, and where they've seemingly doubled down are the semi-randomized weapon drops and the climb-anywhere nature of traversal. The latter was this really interesting blip where multiple devs just simultaneously and apparently independently decided throwing up invisible walls and/or arbitrarily-decided climbable surfaces sucked and all around the same time we got AC Origins, BotW and, to a lesser degree stuff like Horizon Zero Dawn. No complaints there, though, that freedom is something I'm glad more games embraced.

Volte posted:

Fair enough. I feel weirdly the opposite about Fenyx and Breath of the Wild as you. Fenyx is pretty much always fun since no matter what I'm doing, there's always some interesting little puzzle or task to do, and I really enjoy the combat loop and regularly get into fights just because I enjoy it, while Breath of the Wild is a fine game that I enjoy being in, but nothing about it really enraptures me. The combat in particular seems almost not worth mentioning. I actively avoided fighting everything I could because it was either "use up some of the durability on my weapon to whack or shoot it to death" or "throw objects and bombs at them until they die". I know you can do some crazy tricks with powers as I've seen in various videos, but it seems like it would take an incredible amount of practice to pull some of that stuff off, not to mention putting up with the god awful rune-switching UI mid-combat, with no particular motivation to do that since fighting stuff is basically a net drain on your resources anyway and doesn't really give you anything in return.

I also don't get what people mean by "emergent gameplay" in Breath of the Wild. Do they just mean undocumented stuff that you can discover on your own, like shooting a metal box with a lighting arrow? To me, emergent gameplay means systems that can interact in a huge number of ways and create a combinatorial explosion of potential scenarios that could not possibly have been designed for. Maybe I just played it wrong, but I never saw anything like that in Breath of the Wild.

I really wish I loved BotW as much as everyone else. :sigh: What am I missing??

Oh, I'm in 100% agreement with you on Zelda. I actually stopped playing because I just couldn't settle into a gameplay loop that felt satisfying, especially the combat stuff. It was a bit too open and unstructured, but yeah, the emergent gameplay stuff was just having all those various systems that rewarded "I wonder if A + B = C" thinking. Things like fire propagation and some of the physics tricks seemed like they played a bigger role in BotW than Fenyx.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, though, that despite it not feeling as experiment-friendly, I definitely enjoyed my time with Immortals more than Zelda. I just felt like it didn't shy away from its inspirations or roots, and it kept me sated until the end, but I didn't feel the need to go back to it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh the corny e-peen swinging from Dark Souls players about never using a shield is probably part of why some people got annoyed with Dark Souls 3. There are a bunch of low poise enemies that do mega fast combos on you that become infinitely easier if you just pull the shield off your back for 2 seconds and let them run out of stamina hitting it.

It's just more fun to hit things with a two hander idk what this epeen is. Banging on about poise and efficiency seems more epeen than big stick fun.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Imagine ever letting the enemies get close to you.

Signed,

Pure sorcery gang.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

no items fists only final destination

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

It's just more fun to hit things with a two hander idk what this epeen is. Banging on about poise and efficiency seems more epeen than big stick fun.

I don't think you understand what that means.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

JBP posted:

It's just more fun to hit things with a two hander

I knew I had reached full adulthood when I realized I have a favorite hammer. It's the three-pound sledge from harbor freight, for the record. When you hit things with that hammer, they stay hit.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

someone butthurt

Also lawyers sense opportunities for easy money class actions like a bird senses north and south

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
When is Elden Ring coming out so people can complain about it not being Bloodborne enough

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

infraboy posted:

When is Elden Ring coming out so people can complain about it not being Bloodborne enough

why wait

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I hope Elden Ring is an open-world ARPG with crafting and collectibles and horse armor

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Geo Fixer posted:

I liked Fallen Order more than DS3

what the gently caress

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

what the gently caress

Some people just have bad taste there’s no point in rationalizing it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Given my history with these games, am I trying to show off my epeen when I talk about preferring playing without a shield?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

infraboy posted:

Elden Ring is coming out the same day as Deep Down.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Some people just have bad taste there’s no point in rationalizing it.

I bought an XBone One X awhile back primarily as a 4K blu ray player and it came with Fallen Order. I think it might be the worst controlling game I’ve ever played

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Given my history with these games, am I trying to show off my epeen when I talk about preferring playing without a shield?

I wasn’t trying to single you out personally, but I’ve just always found people creating this stigma against using one of the games most useful tools annoying, because new players go in thinking they aren’t supposed to be using a shield. When realistically, even most people two handing it are carrying a shield on their back and are popping it out strategically sometimes. That’s the whole reason the game lets you put a shield on your back!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i feel like peoples complex about dark souls players has always been way more prevalent than the players they like to imagine are pointing at them, laughing at them, and taking pictures of them to send to their friends to also point and laugh at

edit: its also entirely possible those people have been completely tuned out by me, but it seems like the dark souls crowd are mostly trying to convince new players not to play in a play style a lot of people hate more so than making fun of people for playing the turtle game. i think the hbomberguy dark souls 2 video addresses a lot of the shield issues and people adopted shorthand from it that maybe they go overboard with

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 15, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Isn't epeen bragging online about being better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

"if you think im talking about you i am definitely talking about you"

you dont have to respond to a strawman and if you arent fundamentally a little insecure about your own enjoyment of things youre not gonna take that strawman personally the question to ask isnt is this guy IMPINGING MY HONOR but why do i think hes talking about me