Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Yeah but its still there and was an exploit point up til firmware 7ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You've gotta have at least a basic browser so users can get past captive portals

Sony and Nintendo stopped offering full browsers on their systems but WebKit is still in there just for logging into WiFi

The Edge-based browser on the XB1 was exploitable at one point too, but their sandbox is so strong that they couldn't escape the browser process and do anything useful with it

Browsers were a a mistake

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 10, 2021

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Try adding the usercheats file to the extras folder in the twilight menu folder on the SD card. I noticed a lot of games have a bypass piracy check code. Plus, walk anywhere in Chrono Trigger!

Did that, and there are no cheats for the game. The AP fix is part of the AP patches that are automatically updated and applied, apparently, and I've just done a full update and ought to have the most recent ones.

Quick update: I just launched Ni No Kuni for the DS and TwiLightMenu++ warned me "Anti-Piracy Warning: This game has AP. Please make sure you're using the latest TwiLight Menu++".

So it looks like if you update your TwiLight Menu++ to the latest one, you should be good to go!

Didn't help! I'm all up to date, and when I start the game I still get the "please make sure you're using the latest" message. And then it hangs at the same spot in the intro. What's odd is that I can run the original JP game just fine, it doesn't hang at all. (The original doesn't pop up a "needs AP" message when I select it, though.) I've even gone into the apfix folder and temporarily removed the patch, because maybe the translation patch already had the AP applied? But no, it still hangs.

After lots of searching I have located a "freeze AP fixed" version of the game that doesn't freeze, but does have crappy menu glitches. I think I'd better just give up and play this on an emulator...

EDIT: A combo of the freeze fixed version and deleting the built-in AP patch has it working! Yay me. Thank you for all your help in getting me back at this, though!

FeatherFloat fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 10, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad you got it working! I had to get an arm7 patch to get the English Ni No Kuni DS patch working. Apparently they are made with flash carts in mind.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I've been using my 3DS more lately. I installed Luma/Godmode/etc way late from having the system, so I never fiddled much with it other than to play a fan translation and mess with the GBA emulator.

I seem to have found an issue recently, though. I have been playing my cart copy of Radiant Historia and my digital copy of Mario Land 3D. I have noticed three times now that if I suspend the system with either of those games, it will eventually shut down, as if it ran out of battery, except the battery is full. When I turn on the system, the WiFi light is back on, the system clock is messed up, and I have lost all progress from when I paused the game. If I leave the system suspended while not running any game, it won't crash.

What the hell's going on? Is this a bug in Luma et al where suspend doesn't work perfectly? I've had this Nu3DS since 2016 and only installed the CFW stuff at the end of 2019, when I stopped using the system. Everything is updated. Battery still holds a charge decently (it's not new, but it's fine). Any ideas? I don't even know if any of this stuff writes in a crash log file -- I sure didn't find any on the SD card.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 10, 2021

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

I've been using my 3DS more lately. I installed Luma/Godmode/etc way late from having the system, so I never fiddled much with it other than to play a fan translation and mess with the GBA emulator.

I seem to have found an issue recently, though. I have been playing my cart copy of Radiant Historia and my digital copy of Mario Land 3D. I have noticed three times now that if I suspend the system with either of those games, it will eventually shut down, as if it ran out of battery, except the battery is full. When I turn on the system, the WiFi light is back on, the system clock is messed up, and I have lost all progress from when I paused the game. If I leave the system suspended while not running any game, it won't crash.

What the hell's going on? Is this a bug in Luma et al where suspend doesn't work perfectly? I've had this Nu3DS since 2016 and only installed the CFW stuff at the end of 2019, when I stopped using the system. Everything is updated. Battery still holds a charge decently (it's not new, but it's fine). Any ideas? I don't even know if any of this stuff writes in a crash log file -- I sure didn't find any on the SD card.

System Clock being messed up sounds like the battery is getting knocked out of place, or loses contact. I'd make sure it's secure in it's slot, not bulging, and you have tightened the screws securely in the back since your last time pulling out the microSD. I don't think there is any software reason the system clock or the WiFi settings should be getting reset beyond a factory reset.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are there any homebrew things to set the time automatically on 3DS and/or Wii U?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Flagrama posted:

System Clock being messed up sounds like the battery is getting knocked out of place, or loses contact. I'd make sure it's secure in it's slot, not bulging, and you have tightened the screws securely in the back since your last time pulling out the microSD. I don't think there is any software reason the system clock or the WiFi settings should be getting reset beyond a factory reset.

Yeah, I have thought about the battery moving, but the backplate is secured correctly and I don't even take the 3DS out of the house because lol Covid, so it stays on a shelf in my desk. Also, it wouldn't explain why it only happens when I suspend with a game running -- suspending just on the main menu, idling and doing nothing, doesn't seem to cause the shutdown. It's weird.

My only explanation is that something in the CFW is crashing so badly that it is resetting the clock/settings, but if others don't have the same problem, then it's probably not the CFW after all.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PS4 Pros are really easy to mod. You just change some DNS settings in your system settings and load an exploit over your network (assuming you have a computer that's on 24/7). Then you launch the exploit from the "help" page that loads your hack instead of what it's supposed to.

If you don't have a computer that's on all day you can just bookmark a hack site in your browser and launch the hack that way. Personally I like the local method because it's 100% offline but the web browser one should be safe, too. There's a "payload" you can select that blocks updates.

Basically every time you start up your PS4 Pro you have to re-run the exploit but it literally takes like 10 seconds.

The only negatives I am aware of is you can't go online, and getting remote play to work is a bit of a hassle but it does in fact work. Modded Warfare and MrMario2011 on Youtube have dozens of incredible videos about anything you'd ever want to do, but honestly it's a really easy hack to perform.

So modding it doesn't save anything to the system? (I'm used to Wii and 3DS modding where it's all custom firmware and saved onto the console itself) The PS4 Pro I got on eBay was a bust, I posted in SA Mart asking for one and goon has a regular PS4 that's on 4.74, but I'm pretty sure the Pro model is required for the Bloodborne mod I was looking to run. I might have to just give up on this journey.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Vice city decompilation is done so expect switch and wii u ports soon

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Muk Dumpster posted:

Vice city decompilation is done so expect switch and wii u ports soon

Sweet. GTA3 is on Wii U as well as Switch if anyone else is curious.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
IIRC stuff gets saved to the HDD and all but you have to load the exploit each time (it can be cached though) you boot? Similar to older PSP exploits.

You do need a Pro to get anything out of the Bloodborne mod though, yes.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm about to attempt to crack my N3DS; any recommended apps/emulators? What is its weight class in terms of decent emulation?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The N3DS has a passable SNES emulator, and can do pitch-perfect GBA support through injection (replacing one of the wrappers used by the Ambassador Program GBA games with a different rom). There is also mostly-native DS support with TWLMenu (TwilightMenu++).

In terms of emulation on 3DS, GBA or thereafter is kind of a gong show, though.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
n64 emulator ymmv

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

As someone who's had to clean up after someone trying to run Paper Mario Master Quest on 3DS via emulator, I'm not sure N64 emu on 3DS is ready for prime time...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Quackles posted:

The N3DS has a passable SNES emulator, and can do pitch-perfect GBA support through injection (replacing one of the wrappers used by the Ambassador Program GBA games with a different rom). There is also mostly-native DS support with TWLMenu (TwilightMenu++).

In terms of emulation on 3DS, GBA or thereafter is kind of a gong show, though.

Has no one cracked the SNES emulator used for SNES Classic titles? I guess that would be kinda hard since the Ambassador titles are piggybacking off the vanilla DS’s hardware iirc.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Last Celebration posted:

Has no one cracked the SNES emulator used for SNES Classic titles? I guess that would be kinda hard since the Ambassador titles are piggybacking off the vanilla DS’s hardware iirc.

People frequently use them for injecting other SNES games, if that’s what you meant.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Not sure, but the emulator I recommend is SNES9x for 3DS.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJLk7uiTBdk

:eyepop:

This dude is crazy

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Last Celebration posted:

I’ve got a couple of injected SNES games running on my n3DS, the SNES VC has been cracked for sure.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neat! I always like seeing 3D GBA games.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Last Celebration posted:

I don't know if it's because the SNES VC's settings are tuned per game and the injector I was using uses a low overhead game's VC wrapper as a base, but most of the SNES games I tried to run using VC ran worse than just running them in an emulator.

thevortex
Jul 2, 2002

RETURN... FROM WHENCE YOU CAME!
PSX runs pretty well on N3DS using recent RetroArch nightly builds if you compress games to CHD and tweak the settings to:

In Audio settings:
audio driver: dsp_thread

In quick menu / core settings, after loading a game:
CD access method: Asynchronous
Threaded Rendering: Async

Advanced GPU / UNAI settings:
Enable Hi-Res Downscaling: On

Some of those need a restart before they take effect, and you’ll need a DSP dump (which you probably already have if you followed the 3ds.hacks guide) before dsp_thread will work.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Is CHD compression the same as PBP compression?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

I looked this up figuring I would get an easy answer but apparently it's really confusing. If you are on 4.87, it looks like there's a 4.87.2 EVILNAT COBRA​ firmware, but it only works on fat and some slim PS3s, and does not work on the super slim at all.

You can run PS3HEN on any firmware PS3 but it's not nearly as cool/useful as having a CFW unfortunately.

My understanding is you need an E3 flasher to downgrade the firmware if you want to run CFW on the PS3, is it possible to do via software?

I actually do have one of the last model Slim's that are able to be downgraded, can't be bothered throwing down AU$50 on a flasher from AliExpress though.

thevortex
Jul 2, 2002

RETURN... FROM WHENCE YOU CAME!

The United States posted:

Is CHD compression the same as PBP compression?

Different, but they both work about as well.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Picked up my 3ds for the first time in probably a year or two and been having fun with it. I'm on version 11.13.0-45U and it's trying to pull an update. What do I need to do to update my hacks to make sure I'm good? Trying the luma update thing from the console itself doesn't appear to do anything. I followed 3ds.guide to get whatever was the most recent thing probably two years ago.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
You do need a recent Luma for that update (11.14.0-46U). I'm on 10.2.1 and it went on fine. I'm having issues with the updater connecting to the internet, too. Something might be up.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
If you're still on a9lh you'll have to do https://3ds.hacks.guide/a9lh-to-b9s -- check your SD card root if there's a "boot.firm" on it; if yes you've likely already done this.

Otherwise follow the chapter 3 part of https://3ds.hacks.guide/updating-b9s to update Luma.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Echophonic posted:

You do need a recent Luma for that update (11.14.0-46U). I'm on 10.2.1 and it went on fine. I'm having issues with the updater connecting to the internet, too. Something might be up.

Luma updater is broken right now - something to do with github. You'll need to update Luma manually.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Quackles posted:

Luma updater is broken right now - something to do with github. You'll need to update Luma manually.

IIRC, the code of the updater itself was broken, and so once you've manually updated you should be good.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
kinda neat I guess

https://twitter.com/Nitehack/status/1362510332183388162

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is that not just composite off the motherboard or is there more to it?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
From the video it looks like they just replaced the top screen with RCA-out. I guess it'd be neat if you managed to break just your top screen or something.

But no, seems like that's the long and the short of it. From their github:

https://github.com/LostNintendoHistory/Lost-NDS-TV posted:

On December 2020, we discovered that the Nintendo DS Lite's SoC (System on Chip) had a hidden feature: a leftover TV(Television) composite video output signal.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
It also unlocks software features for screen swapping, overlay, and PIP. Weird that Nintendo had left all of this in the hardware but disabled via firmware and it might be a great way for people to capture DS (and possibly GBA) gameplay.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

When I participated in an official Pokemon tournament in 2010, the facilities were using a modified DS Lite with a weird cable coming from where the GBA port would have been. It allowed it to simultaneously broadcast the top screen into a TV while the person played normally (staring at the screen in the console itself). I've always wanted to know about those systems, and I guess this is it? A modified hardware just like this guy is showing and the software features to do so enabled.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Swilo posted:

It also unlocks software features for screen swapping, overlay, and PIP. Weird that Nintendo had left all of this in the hardware but disabled via firmware and it might be a great way for people to capture DS (and possibly GBA) gameplay.

DS devkits supported external displays, perhaps the TV out in retail models is a vestigial detail from how it was implemented on those systems

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
It's usually cheaper to just grab a board that has what you need and ignore the needless poo poo; I assume that's what happened there. Still, it's a neat feature, if you have a broken DSL or want to buy one to chop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
If I have a launch day Switch and I’m interested in trying to get a few emulators on it to have an all in one emulator handheld up to like maybe PS1/PSP era is there a good recent guide out there?

Or should I just hack my Vita again?

I’m interested in SNES/GBA/PSP/PS1/ maybe Genesis and DS potentially.