Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Stargate (1994) is an isekai.

e. the most shameful snipe, let me rectify that.

Sakamoto Days

Taro Sakamoto is a former assassin. For love, he has sworn off killing, and is now the owner of a small convenience store, which he manages along with his wife.

Shin is an assassin, who was sent to kill Sakamoto (because assassin rules forbid anyone from leaving the organisation). He gets defeated by Sakamoto, and decides not to kill him; when he returns to his boss, he gets sentenced to death because of it, and he has to escape with several other assassins trying to kill him.

Sakamoto had placed a bug on Shin, and overhears the conversation.

(Read right to left.)

Mikl fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I believe the more traditional trope is 'Another World'.

'Isekai' as a trope generally involve either A.) death and rebirth, usually as a baby or B.) being teleported across, typically via a summon.
They are then gifted an over powered set of cheat skills on top.

~Nerd poo poo~

Imma post the Baseball Isekai when I get home :v:

isekai literally means another world

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

scary ghost dog posted:

isekai literally means another world

Then why not just say that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
are the japanese no longer allowed to have their own language

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

if people called them Another World comics then pedantic morons like you would be saying “oh, is it another world? i thought for sure it was our world :rolleyes:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Because they don't speak English in Japan.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Infinitum posted:

Because they don't speak English in Japan.

I meant in this thread. We could've avoided a long derail.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
because the trope is called isekai

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Isekai stories typically have the protagonist die and be reincarnated + gain fantastic powers

Another World stories typically see the protagonist teleported to another world as a normal human.

Isekai's are basically the evolution/off-shoot of the Another World trope.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

This stupid loving derail has nothing to do with badass panels, ya goddamn nerds.

Dinosaur Starbrand, on the other hand, is pure van-art badass

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Infinitum posted:

Isekai stories typically have the protagonist die and be reincarnated + gain fantastic powers.

And they are so often done in by being hit by a truck (usually the protagonist is trying to save somebody to do one good thing in their lives) it is not thought that it is the same truck and its name is Truck-kun.

The best isekai is of course KonoSuba where the protagonist was trying to save a girl from being hit by a tractor but didn't realize how slow it was going and was in no danger of hitting her and then promptly dying of shock in such a way even the doctor and his family couldn't help but laugh at him.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

The best isekai is of course KonoSuba where the protagonist was trying to save a girl from being hit by a tractor but didn't realize how slow it was going and was in no danger of hitting her and then promptly dying of shock in such a way even the doctor and his family couldn't help but laugh at him.

What a brutal self-own. I love it.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Dawgstar posted:

And they are so often done in by being hit by a truck (usually the protagonist is trying to save somebody to do one good thing in their lives) it is not thought that it is the same truck and its name is Truck-kun.

There is also a manga about the man who drives the truck that keeps running people over and sending them to fantasy worlds

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

One More Fat Nerd posted:

There is also a manga about the man who drives the truck that keeps running people over and sending them to fantasy worlds

gonna need a link to this, boss

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

hiddenriverninja posted:

gonna need a link to this, boss

I keep thinking there needs to be a horror or horror comedy take on the topic that is from the perspective of the people who live in the fantasy world where these isekai people keep going. Because in several of them the isekai person functionally replaces someone who already lived in that world. So that means at any moment anyone you know could be replaced by what is essentially an alien from another dimension with simply busted super powers

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
an isekai where every character is a replacement trying to hide that fact from everyone else

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

marshmallow creep posted:

I keep thinking there needs to be a horror or horror comedy take on the topic that is from the perspective of the people who live in the fantasy world where these isekai people keep going. Because in several of them the isekai person functionally replaces someone who already lived in that world. So that means at any moment anyone you know could be replaced by what is essentially an alien from another dimension with simply busted super powers

this manga is about a girl who has stupendous powers, but it's one of the various villains who is actually the Isekai:

Squidster posted:

May I Please Ask You Just One More Thing?

The setup:
A secret society of noblemen have been running a underground slave auction of demihumans for years.

When Scarlett, the crown prince's recently spurned fiancee, finds out about it, she is very very angry.

EDIT: fixed a timg

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

scary ghost dog posted:

if people called them Another World comics then pedantic morons like you would be saying “oh, is it another world? i thought for sure it was our world :rolleyes:

They'd think they were all based on this early 90's PC/Amiga game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clNnYh0vr9Y

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

If you're all going to post about Isekai then I better see some badass Isekai panels, or else...! :blastu:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's time for a car chase in Daredevil Road Warrior #2 (Sorry for the ton of panels but this was one of those "infinite comics" Marvel did some time back where there's a whole bunch of extra ones to convey motion)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Ghost Rider, but blind. He's not called the Man Without Fear for nothing

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gologle posted:

Ghost Rider, but blind. He's not called the Man Without Fear for nothing

Yeah, I think that glowing goo burned out his amygdala as well as his eyeballs.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

JordanKai posted:

If you're all going to post about Isekai then I better see some badass Isekai panels, or else...! :blastu:
The Red Ranger Becomes An Adventurer In Another World!
It's exactly what it sounds like. A super sentai team leader dies beating the big bad on his world and gets sent to another.

It's also exactly as awesome as it sounds. Red has no concept of an indoor voice, or of half-assing anything.
(Read right to left)

No, i didn't skip a page, the 'observes' is a typo in the translation

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 16, 2021

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
SMH if you're a power ranger and you DON'T constantly blow things up in your background.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The best part is how even the grimdarkest of adventurers can't resist joining in his goofy schtick.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I love it to pieces, I really do. Its just good, goofy toku fun.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 16, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Lurdiak posted:

Heh, all according to keikaku*

*Translator's note: keikaku means plan

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Potsticker posted:

When I was young I thought the Yankee was a baseball player.

Helped not at all by the kid who played Rowengartner in Rookie of the Year being the lead in A Kid in King Arthur's Court for his very next job

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

marshmallow creep posted:

There's a few where the premise is that something evil is pulling people from other worlds to do ??something?? and earth people have hosed up things majorly there but theres hardly any that subvert the usual flow of things.
In fact many go way out of their way to assert the protagonist had no real ties to their life.

Since its a manga and loads of panels kind of day

Souboutei Must Be Destroyed, Ch. 220

The destruction of the titular Souboutei is very close, and the plot and character threads are starting to be tied up one by one. This particular clash has been awaited since very early in the story since its what defines both Zanka and Yoshitarou's entire character.

Everything is rushing up to a very heady climax as the Japanese government gears up to carpet bomb souboutei.

Meanwhile just a regular guy (Takoha, in the last page) and a regular kid who accidentally found themselves in all this became key to it all through nothing but strength of character and stout moral fiber.

(Plus its being translated by local goon Mr. Steak)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 16, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Future State - Aquaman #1: Aquaman (former Aqualad Jackson Hyde) has been stuck for 6 years in an alien prison (which is conveniently underwater). He's broken out almost 300 times but always fails to get away. And all that time, he's been under the illusion that he let Aquaman (Arthur Curry)'s daughter, Andy, be eaten by a kraken. Until his most recent escape attempt was different...

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I would post the context, but it's kinda dumb, so meh. It's from the latest issue of Thor:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Konosuba remains the best isekai, because it turns out most of the world's biggest problems (Deadly walking fortresses, clans of eccentric magicians, troublesome magical items etc.) Exist because of previous Japanese teenagers Aqua sent at problems instead of doing her job.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
My favorite isekai was Kemono Michi, which is about a pro-wrestler who gets sent to your stock standard fantasy world but his whole schtick is he fuckin' LOVES animals and refuses to beat up the beastmen and monsters because he wants to rub their tummies. He also suplexes the princess who summoned him.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

John Dyne posted:

My favorite isekai was Kemono Michi, which is about a pro-wrestler who gets sent to your stock standard fantasy world but his whole schtick is he fuckin' LOVES animals and refuses to beat up the beastmen and monsters because he wants to rub their tummies. He also suplexes the princess who summoned him.

Buddy, have you heard the good word of Karate Baka Isekai?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I learned from Wolverine when he greeted his friends the X-Men as they just got off a plane to attend his wedding to the Japanese woman Mariko in Uncanny X-Men #172 that "baka" is the word for "Honored Friends"!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Toshimo posted:

Buddy, have you heard the good word of Karate Baka Isekai?

Oh poo poo that's the one where dude just beats up a bunch of knights with karate and everyone is like 'well let's all do karate now' isn't it?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

John Dyne posted:

Oh poo poo that's the one where dude just beats up a bunch of knights with karate and everyone is like 'well let's all do karate now' isn't it?

Hell yeah.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
bro that guy just stopped a little girl from being transported to another world and having magical and wondrous adventures, wtf? What an rear end in a top hat

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
This isn't a panel but on the other hand it isn't an isekai either, fyi

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1365043901262749696

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yo is that Robot Chicken?