Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
hot off the presses..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

hot off the presses..

:eyepoop:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

hot off the presses..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b0k0fReP5g

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
You couldn't pay me to listen to that

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Yeah, I don't come to this thread to listen to Cornette but to listen to people talk about how dumb Cornette is.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Lid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b0k0fReP5g

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Do you want me to send you an invoice for the 60 seconds I spent listening to that or are you cool just giving me your credit card info through PMs?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i decided to listen because as a pro wrestler I have a unstoppable urge to self destruct and here are my cliff notes for those who are smarter than me.

1. jim says that men over the age of 18 who have joshi wrestlers as their profile pictures are pussies, much like 13 year old girls who got mad when he beat up ricky morton.

2. none of the japanese women in the aew tournament could survive the AJW dojo, (ignoring the fact aja kong is in the tournament)

3. says that he won't watch joshi because he's a pro wrestling fan.

4. said that maki itoh isn't good at wrestling despite having never heard of her before or seeing her wrestle.

5. read her wikipedia page and put emphasis on things he thought were weird.

6. pointed out that linq made her sell tickets much like a wrestling school and got fired anyway

7. called tokyo joshi pro outlaw.

8. claimed that people who like japanese wrestling think all japanese wrestlers are good and are actually the real racists.

honestly expected more from jim, he just spewed the same cliches about how it's all neckbeards who want to gently caress their cosplay wrestlers, I was expecting some real venom.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I don't think Jim Cornette is very honest.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

I don't think Jim Cornette is very honest.

starting to think he is just trying to generate outrage because he can't get a real job anymore.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yeah, I don't come to this thread to listen to Cornette but to listen to people talk about how dumb Cornette is.

I show up to decipher the various "art". I can't make head or tails of what the gently caress is happening in this most recent one. Cornette is trading a candy bar for a bottle of fresh piss that he so desperately craves?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The joshi related keywords Jim Cornette/the artist could find includes Chocolate Pro Wrestling.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Not that I or anyone really should feel the need to disabuse Cornette of his for-profit views, but if he'd actually look at Itoh he'd see as complete a wrestling character (oops, sorry, 'gimmick') as anybody in his heyday had. Exotic Adrian Street, Austin Idol, you name it. Is she a fantastic worker? No. i mean, she's getting there, but no. Is she an outstanding wrestler? Yes.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Someone shared this in another thread:
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1360196320791773185
This is kind of weird because upon further research, it's very obviously the paternity case he's mentioned before that became the catalyst for Stan avoiding Florida: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjXfLvILVlA

davidbix fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 13, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cornette is getting lazier with the controversial opinions he has for money.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Extremely normal to have MANY discussions about paternity suits on your car trips

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Extremely normal to have MANY discussions about paternity suits on your car trips

TBH, I'd be surprised if wrestlers from the 1980s didn't have many lengthy discussions about paternity suits while on the road. They were probably just behind rock stars and military servicemen in the "hooking up with every local woman that was up for it" stakes

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Lamuella posted:

Cornette is getting lazier with the controversial opinions he has for money.

Probably because as he separates himself more and more from modern wrestling it ends up working against him because he ends up not having anything to pull from. So when he goes off a picture or a gif that’s literally all he has to work with. He has no passion for this poo poo anymore and it shows but he can’t stop because he created an outrage market for himself.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

"I am not interested in these new popular wrestlers, now here comes 40 minutes of me talking about Tootpipe Tommy vs Bert "Italian Guy" Cannoli in 1973 was the greatest match of all time despite being 90% rest holds."

Bert won with the "Now That's Italian!" finisher, a devastating tirade of produce related racial epiphets and crotch grabbing.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's so weird because I remember listening to Cornette and Hurricane Helms discussing why gun control in America is desperately needed, calmly and rationally; or Cornette being legitimately upset at the shooting of Breonna Taylor and sympathizing with BLM protestors; or seeing that tweet where Cornette told Jericho off for contributing to Trump's reelection campaign. It's like he almost gets it sometimes...but then he can't help himself and he just slides right back into his racist homophobic poo poo that wouldn't be out of place on freep or thedonald.win (or whatever it's called nowadays).

So, a 'Bill Maher with a hard R' kind of liberal.

FullMetalJackoff fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 14, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Apparently Brian went off on me on the latest pod for...showing an interest in the Boebert story? For teasing that I found something "unlike a real journalist"? (Uh, as someone who follows a lot of "real journalists" on Twitter, that's categorically false. One of the most prominent White House reporters of the Trump era spent eons on Twitter suggesting she knew for certain that Trump definitely had dementia without ever actually reporting it. Now. that example IS a bad thing, but my point is that reporters tease stories in much more benign ways all the time, often for the same reason I did, to tell everyone to be patient.)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i assume brian mentioned your post here pointing out that cornette did know about the paternity case and already talked about it on the pod. he sternly corrected jim about it, i would again assume

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

ItohRespectArmy posted:

2. none of the japanese women in the aew tournament could survive the AJW dojo, (ignoring the fact aja kong is in the tournament)

this is still cracking me the gently caress up. What does obese Kentucky manager James Mark Cornette know about any of this? He literally admits in the same video that he doesn't watch, how does he know their training regiment?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I just realized that 'sociallly' in the thread topic is spelled wrong. :v:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

1 was trained by Chigusa Nagayo, 2 were trained by Emi Sakura, and 1 is Emi Sakura lmao

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Low Desert Punk posted:

this is still cracking me the gently caress up. What does obese Kentucky manager James Mark Cornette know about any of this? He literally admits in the same video that he doesn't watch, how does he know their training regiment?

it's extra funny coming from a man who clearly has never ever gotten over the fact he never would've made it as a wrestler.

Neodoomium posted:

1 was trained by Chigusa Nagayo, 2 were trained by Emi Sakura, and 1 is Emi Sakura lmao

loving the idea that emi sakura who came up mostly through *checks notes* IWA JAPAN could not have survived the AJW dojo.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

ItohRespectArmy posted:

loving the idea that emi sakura who came up mostly through *checks notes* IWA JAPAN could not have survived the AJW dojo.

yeah, that idea is nuts. One of Emi's chops would make Corny poo poo his pants

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Ring tests: Modern Joshi 1 Cornette 0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnDltLJ-644

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 15, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Neodoomium posted:

Additionally Ryo Mizunami was trained by Meiko Satomura. Early 2000s Meiko Satomura, who would give people shoot dropkicks for not trying hard enough.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

corn hat

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDQCXdwLQR4

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This was at the end of this week's botchamania as well and I was straight losing my poo poo.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Not to mention that Emi wrestled for AJW back in the day anyway - she even teamed with Manami Toyota!

I didn't realize she STARTED with IWA Japan, though - that's crazy to think about. But it's true, and here's a match against Sumie Sakai from 1998 to prove it. Emi was probably 18 or 19 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYWAWcua27I

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

CombineThresher posted:

Not to mention that Emi wrestled for AJW back in the day anyway - she even teamed with Manami Toyota!

I didn't realize she STARTED with IWA Japan, though - that's crazy to think about. But it's true, and here's a match against Sumie Sakai from 1998 to prove it. Emi was probably 18 or 19 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYWAWcua27I

Emi Sakura's fourth match ever was on the undercard for the IWA King Of The Deathmatch tournament that Cactus Jack won in an exploding ring against Terry Funk.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lamuella posted:

Emi Sakura's fourth match ever was on the undercard for the IWA King Of The Deathmatch tournament that Cactus Jack won in an exploding ring against Terry Funk.

Holy poo poo! When Emi comes back to TV more consistently, AEW needs to do a better job informing the audience about this stuff. This thread sent me to Wikipedia and apparently Emi had to take time off early in her career for hernia surgery, and I can't imagine ever taking bumps again after that. Makes Cornette sound even dumber for saying she wouldn't survive the AJW dojo, as if he'd know anything about how that worked in the first place.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

Holy poo poo! When Emi comes back to TV more consistently, AEW needs to do a better job informing the audience about this stuff. This thread sent me to Wikipedia and apparently Emi had to take time off early in her career for hernia surgery, and I can't imagine ever taking bumps again after that. Makes Cornette sound even dumber for saying she wouldn't survive the AJW dojo, as if he'd know anything about how that worked in the first place.

That show isn't exactly a career highlight for most people.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

That show isn't exactly a career highlight for most people.

Not that show specifically, but more generally about coming up through one of the more insane garbage wrestling promotions out there. Emi's entry into wrestling and her career trajectory through it is really interesting.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The King of the Deathmatch is a top 5 all time show for me.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

davidbix posted:

Apparently Brian went off on me on the latest pod for...showing an interest in the Boebert story? For teasing that I found something "unlike a real journalist"? (Uh, as someone who follows a lot of "real journalists" on Twitter, that's categorically false. One of the most prominent White House reporters of the Trump era spent eons on Twitter suggesting she knew for certain that Trump definitely had dementia without ever actually reporting it. Now. that example IS a bad thing, but my point is that reporters tease stories in much more benign ways all the time, often for the same reason I did, to tell everyone to be patient.)

What? Which White House reporter are you referring to?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

emi should sing about her sordid wrestling past to the tune of "Mr. Bad Guy" by freddie mercury

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Emi's recollection of Cactus as "the gaijin backstage who was reading a paperback book and then went out and shredded all his skin off" is very amusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Neodoomium posted:

Emi's recollection of Cactus as "the gaijin backstage who was reading a paperback book and then went out and shredded all his skin off" is very amusing

That does feel like peak Cactus. Also having to be dragged out of his hotel room to take in Japan a little bit by Stan Hansen otherwise he'd have just stayed in his hotel room the whole time. (No shade, I would have done the same thing.)