Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Barudak posted:

Im not in the US, because if it was I'd be done right now.

Luckily not the UK where your employer can make you sign a 6 month notice period contract and hold you to it as happened to a coworker

six loving months holy poo poo

My experience in IT stateside, the second you give notice you're gone, they might pay you for two weeks more or whatever but due to security concerns, your access gets pulled immediately and out you go.

My first job in the Seattle area was for a tiny web host which primarily focused on spinning up websites using our framework for tiny businesses. There were a small number of people in the office, and I was the only engineer (the prior one had just left and the president of the company had been doing code maintenance in the interim). There was an art department consisting of a husband and wife and another woman, there was a sales / marketing guy, the president, and me.

The president was the most openly sexist, and most incredibly stupid individual I have ever met. It's still mind boggling to me. He treated the women in the office blatantly differently and talked to them with open condescension, and just said the absolute dumbest things all day long. I've largely blocked it out, so I don't remember specific things, but holy poo poo this guy. I remember the entire team walked out one day in protest of how he treated us, the husband of the art team popped his head in my office and basically said yeah, we're walking out, this poo poo sucks and I said alright I'll come too, why not. I forget what exactly happened after, but I didn't last much longer after that. That was a fun day out though, it was super nice that day and we all went and got Taco Del Mar and laughed at how awful that place was.

I was thankful initially, because he let me move into a small apartment he owned while I got relocated to the area, which I moved out of shortly before I quit. When I gave my notice, he lost his poo poo, going off on me about how I didn't appreciate what he did for me with the apartment, how this was a great opportunity and I didn't respect it, I took advantage of him, etc. He stormed out of the office and was gone the rest of the day, but before he left, he disabled my active directory account. He ended up having to reinstate it after his tantrum, though, because there was still stuff he wanted me to finish before I left lol

One thing I always was curious about was how the company was funded. He cut deals for sites / hosting for his buddies all the time, and for new clients. The husband from art team and the marketing guy both kept telling him he'd actually make money if he charged people money for the service but he insisted that it was better business practice to make all these connections and get his name out there first. There was money coming in from someone, like from the sounds of things one older gentleman was financing the entire company. None of us were making a ton of money, but we were in a nice building in Bellevue, and that poo poo wasn't cheap. I always wondered if the president of the company had dirt on that guy, or something. It just didn't make sense to me.

The website is long dead, but I used to be amused that my name was in the HTML source of the home page, in some old Javascript comments I wrote for it. It stayed up until the site died - I would've assumed, knowing him, he would've searched for and scrubbed any reference to me out.

He also, at one point, bought a brand new Dodge Charger, back when those were first coming out. He was incredibly proud of it, and thought it made him look cool and like a serious businessman, or... something, when he'd take clients to lunches or other meetings.

e. and here's one for my brothers and sisters who do programming / database work: the site configuration records were stored primarily in a single table, in an Access database backend. Think that's bad in itself? Each column in this table contained multiple parameters separated by linebreaks and commas. So a single column might contain something like:

WebsiteTitle=My Dumb Website,
BackgroundColor=#ffffff,
BackgroundImage=hello.jpg,
SomeFeatureAEnabled=true,
SomeFeatureBEnabled=false,
ContactEmail=hurr@duh.org

... all of that in a single DB column, which we'd then need to read, break apart, parse into the right variables, and hope to god it didn't blow up. Multiple columns like this for each site. That still haunts me. I do not know why they did this, but the idiot president was really proud of this platform. Classic ASP sitting on top of Access with data structured like that.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Code Jockey posted:

e. and here's one for my brothers and sisters who do programming / database work: the site configuration records were stored primarily in a single table, in an Access database backend. Think that's bad in itself? Each column in this table contained multiple parameters separated by linebreaks and commas. So a single column might contain something like:

BackgroundColor=#ffffff,

... all of that in a single DB column, which we'd then need to read, break apart, parse into the right variables, and hope to god it didn't blow up. Multiple columns like this for each site. That still haunts me. I do not know why they did this, but the idiot president was really proud of this platform. Classic ASP sitting on top of Access with data structured like that.

christ

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Code Jockey posted:

six loving months holy poo poo

My experience in IT stateside, the second you give notice you're gone, they might pay you for two weeks more or whatever but due to security concerns, your access gets pulled immediately and out you go.

My first job in the Seattle area was for a tiny web host which primarily focused on spinning up websites using our framework for tiny businesses. There were a small number of people in the office, and I was the only engineer (the prior one had just left and the president of the company had been doing code maintenance in the interim). There was an art department consisting of a husband and wife and another woman, there was a sales / marketing guy, the president, and me.

The president was the most openly sexist, and most incredibly stupid individual I have ever met. It's still mind boggling to me. He treated the women in the office blatantly differently and talked to them with open condescension, and just said the absolute dumbest things all day long. I've largely blocked it out, so I don't remember specific things, but holy poo poo this guy. I remember the entire team walked out one day in protest of how he treated us, the husband of the art team popped his head in my office and basically said yeah, we're walking out, this poo poo sucks and I said alright I'll come too, why not. I forget what exactly happened after, but I didn't last much longer after that. That was a fun day out though, it was super nice that day and we all went and got Taco Del Mar and laughed at how awful that place was.

I was thankful initially, because he let me move into a small apartment he owned while I got relocated to the area, which I moved out of shortly before I quit. When I gave my notice, he lost his poo poo, going off on me about how I didn't appreciate what he did for me with the apartment, how this was a great opportunity and I didn't respect it, I took advantage of him, etc. He stormed out of the office and was gone the rest of the day, but before he left, he disabled my active directory account. He ended up having to reinstate it after his tantrum, though, because there was still stuff he wanted me to finish before I left lol

One thing I always was curious about was how the company was funded. He cut deals for sites / hosting for his buddies all the time, and for new clients. The husband from art team and the marketing guy both kept telling him he'd actually make money if he charged people money for the service but he insisted that it was better business practice to make all these connections and get his name out there first. There was money coming in from someone, like from the sounds of things one older gentleman was financing the entire company. None of us were making a ton of money, but we were in a nice building in Bellevue, and that poo poo wasn't cheap. I always wondered if the president of the company had dirt on that guy, or something. It just didn't make sense to me.

The website is long dead, but I used to be amused that my name was in the HTML source of the home page, in some old Javascript comments I wrote for it. It stayed up until the site died - I would've assumed, knowing him, he would've searched for and scrubbed any reference to me out.

He also, at one point, bought a brand new Dodge Charger, back when those were first coming out. He was incredibly proud of it, and thought it made him look cool and like a serious businessman, or... something, when he'd take clients to lunches or other meetings.

BackgroundColor=#ffffff,

The website did a database pull to ... determine stuff like formatting parameters? And multiple parameters were stored in a single entry? Lol

E: I know you basically explained exactly what my post says but I’m busy collecting my eyebrows off of the wall behind me where they landed when I read that.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 15, 2021

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Tetramin posted:

The website did a database pull to ... determine stuff like formatting parameters? And multiple parameters were stored in a single entry? Lol

E: I know you basically explained exactly what my post says but I’m busy collecting my eyebrows off of the wall behind me where they landed when I read that.

Yeeeep. I think I recall the values getting cached into application variables in ASP, because if I recall you'd have to reset them somehow if you changed anything in the DB before the changes would show up. I think we had some programmatic way to do this, or we just killed the worker process lol

e. Ooh ooh speaking of application variables, the next company I worked for (the helljob I worked at for 9 years) ran like 9 main customer facing websites. Each of these sites ran off of the same platform / framework (written in house, classic ASP which was later "upgraded" to VB.net), and the style settings, background image, logo images, etc were driven off of application variables which loaded when the application loaded. There were dozens and dozens of variables to control settings (including SQL connection strings, which used the sa account, with plaintext passwords, at least until 2010 or so, haha) and each site had a copy of every other site's settings in memory, not just its own. If I recall, you specified which set of settings you wanted in the web.config or something. Good god the trace output was insane, 1000 pages of app variables before you actually see meaningful data lmao

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 15, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
This thread is making me feel grateful that I have a real job: bartending.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

prayer group posted:

This thread is making me feel grateful that I have a real job: bartending.

I like money though

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Today a salesperson in another office emailed a manager (who is not my manager but a manager in my office) infuriated that I didn’t add the proper salutations in my email.

The email was urgent and entirely due to them not do their end of the work. but I need to say “dear so and so” in order to make them feel good.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

teen witch posted:

Today a salesperson in another office emailed a manager (who is not my manager but a manager in my office) infuriated that I didn’t add the proper salutations in my email.

The email was urgent and entirely due to them not do their end of the work. but I need to say “dear so and so” in order to make them feel good.

On one hand, it's a bitch move for them to cry to daddy.
On the other, they are not your subordinates nor your child so they don't have to tolerate your disrespectful rear end. Even if work got delayed because of them.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol That’s why I have a script in Outlook that adds “Hello (name),” or “Hello All,” in front of multiple CCs. I like to put salutations as much as possible because it’s professional and whatnot, but there have been times where I just blanked it or hit send before I added it and I felt like a dummy so I just got the script so that I never have to bother with it again. Some people are just really gung go for observing the rank and file and honorifics.

Of course if I’m emailing people that I’m on a very similar pay level/seniority to and really casual with, I’ll just skip all the BS and put nothing there

It’s pretty wild how my company doesn’t have any kind of signature standards for emails or anything like that

There’s one chud who is the head of a department and at the bottom of his email sig in small font is something like “It’s okay to print this email. Due to modern forestry techniques there are more trees than 100 years ago” or something which is like, his weird rear end PsyOp way of striking back at someone/society who asked him to stop printing emails out one time and save paper. It’s very rolling coal/I’m gonna eat extra meat tonight since you’re a vegetarian!!!!/“triggered, ya lib???” and super gross and tiny dick energy. He also just sends one word replies without any salutations, in fact I know of multiple department heads who do that.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 15, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The thing is is like, external emails, yeah ok, salutations, of course. Internal? Rarely do we do it, unless if it’s something sent to dozens of people.

Also they’ve sent me a million salutations-less emails prior AND after this complaint. they didn’t even complain to my actual manager.

E: the manager they actually sent it to responded with a “if you have an issue with her, kindly take it up with her”

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Fair enough. Would you consider those people who are crying about it a higher level or seniority than you?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Hah, salutations. A lot of people where I work don't even bother with them, and I don't think that's just because phone emailing is starting to take off.

I use them almost exclusively, but sometimes I feel like it makes me look like a dinosaur. I go to work to LARP a "professional who has his poo poo together" so I figure that's just part of the act :v:

Whoever upthread said that they were glad to have an office job "so they didn't have to pretend and be fake anymore" . . . Whoa. Buddy. I'm not sure where they're at that isn't Office Politics Olympics, but it sure sounds nice!

I guess I just make it a point to be seen as someone who can be nice to/can work with anyone. I'm on the fence on whether that works better than just aggressively pursuing my own personal goals and being slow to help other people with their poo poo, but something about that approach feels scummy to me. :shrug:

Zarin fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 15, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

Fair enough. Would you consider those people who are crying about it a higher level or seniority than you?

No, we’re about the same and entirely different departments. Now would they consider that? Might be a different story

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

teen witch posted:

I cannot express how hard and how far my eyes would be rolling if anyone at work complained that I didn't use a proper salutation in an email.

It's been five minutes and I'm still mad on your behalf on principle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I cannot express how hard and how far my eyes would be rolling if anyone at work complained that I didn't use a proper salutation in an email.

One of my jobs first day I got a talking to for sending an email which the first sentence didn't start with an exclamation point. I was then give a two page document outlining proper emoji usage and resources for dad-level humor to include in your emails.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Barudak posted:

One of my jobs first day I got a talking to for sending an email which the first sentence didn't start with an exclamation point. I was then give a two page document outlining proper emoji usage and resources for dad-level humor to include in your emails.

:killing:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I got an award for most positive emailer for 250 bucks later that year because all my emails were garbage like to a golf client "Sounds great and we're eager to get into the swing of things! You've teed up a big problem but with [company] we'll get you on the green under par. Let me get back to you in two weeks and we'd be happy to give you a birdie's eye view of how we can help your business cut through the competitive landscape without a single slice in sight!"

I kept taking it further and further and never stopped, from the pot clients to the condom people and they all loved it and I hated myself by the end.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Barudak posted:

Im not in the US, because if it was I'd be done right now.

Luckily not the UK where your employer can make you sign a 6 month notice period contract and hold you to it as happened to a coworker

My wife worked with a woman who got an offer from a different department and her manager refused to sign off on the transfer for three months. She took the new position partially because that manager was an rear end in a top hat to her and I guess he decided to ramp it up when she tried to get out.

Volmarias posted:

I had someone get all upset I addressed them with their name and a semicolon and not a "Dear ___;" She included my entire org chart on her response stating our department needed proper email training. The entire response was in the subject line.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zarin posted:

I use them almost exclusively, but sometimes I feel like it makes me look like a dinosaur.

That's funny because I was going to ask the guy who made a snide comment about the op's "disrespectful rear end" that his non child coworker didn't have to deal with.

Because not including a bunch of stupid boilerplate in a message about getting poo poo done is a good thing. This wasn't client facing where presentation is part of the job, what needs to be said should be said as clear and quickly as possible.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Barudak posted:

I got an award for most positive emailer...

Someone was reading every email from your company, scoring them for positivity, and adding it all up??

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xaintrailles posted:

Someone was reading every email from your company, scoring them for positivity, and adding it all up??

No, they asked for internal and client feedback and I won.

Winning the award was a serious part of my motivation to quit

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Workaday Wizard posted:

On one hand, it's a bitch move for them to cry to daddy.
On the other, they are not your subordinates nor your child so they don't have to tolerate your disrespectful rear end. Even if work got delayed because of them.

I will never not just write "Hi firstname, please do the needful or whatever" to whomever. If your skin is sufficiently thin that this causes bruising perhaps an office job is not for you!

and furthermore,

Volmarias posted:

:yossame:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Reading this thread is cathartic.

My company makes the billing system used by one of the biggest financial companies in the world. I was brought in on a project to automate a bunch of their "manual billing", which I find out later means hundreds of excel spreadsheets, maintained by a tiny group of about 5 people who's full time job was using these spreadsheets to bill about 150 million dollars a year. During the course of our specification study our job was to get into what each of these spreadsheets was trying to do so that we could completely automate the process. As part of this investigation of these spreadsheets we found multiple cases of error resulting in one case of a 1.5 million dollar mistake for the company, and in another case we found out that one of their customers had been entered wrong in the spreadsheet and had been getting free service for 3 years as a result (another million dollar mistake). One day we had to cancel our meetings because another multi-million dollar mistake was found and it was all hands on deck to correct it. It's now two years after that project, which was never implemented due to internal politics at the company, and in the mean time they've added many more spreadsheets into the process. This was one little group of a giant multinational, multibillion dollar company.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Workaday Wizard posted:

Lol, gently caress you

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ben shapino posted:

Lol, gently caress you

The only real response in the battle of the office wizards

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Barudak posted:

When all the open source projects started having codes of conduct, one of them (which was frequently shared by people with good intentions) had a section on how you shouldn’t use emojis in code reviews in case someone takes them the wrong way. In both these cases I’m just left wondering, what kind of situation must have happened in the past for them to NEED emoji rules?!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

When all the open source projects started having codes of conduct, one of them (which was frequently shared by people with good intentions) had a section on how you shouldn’t use emojis in code reviews in case someone takes them the wrong way. In both these cases I’m just left wondering, what kind of situation must have happened in the past for them to NEED emoji rules?!

Oh no, I think you misunderstand. This was mandatory usage situations for emoji

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Certain hand gestures have different meanings in certain cultures. "Wow this is great :thumbsup:" can mean "... now shove this dumb poo poo back up your rear end where it came from"

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I was encouraged to use more exclamation points to avoid sounding "cold" at my old job. Internally, mind you, most of our clients skewed older and I'm not an idiot so my client voice was ecstatic as gently caress. The men on my team never got that feedback for some reason.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Barudak posted:

Oh no, I think you misunderstand. This was mandatory usage situations for emoji

Mods, please consider this for the forums, tyia

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I'm genuinely convinced that office work is an unintentional work program developed by MBA's and other useless 'professionals' to circularly perpetuate an ever growing 'manager' class. This 'manager' class is supported by the 20% or so of people who are doing actual work on top of the blue collar workers that may or may not work at the company. The two times I have worked in an office setting are the only times I have been kept so busy doing such complete non-work and endless meetings about loving nothing.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

One of our long time system architects retired recently. On his way out our brain genius CEO decided to load him up with a ton of work only he knew how to do because the company doesn't believe in documentation or training.

I'll leave it to you, fine goons, to guess how much of that vital work he actually did.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Rent-A-Cop posted:

One of our long time system architects retired recently. On his way out our brain genius CEO decided to load him up with a ton of work only he knew how to do because the company doesn't believe in documentation or training.

I'll leave it to you, fine goons, to guess how much of that vital work he actually did.

all of it, like a good little boy?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I normally start emails formally, especially when emailing out of org, but I've also seen the worst email etiquette in my own org. Lots of reply all's asking simple questions, lots of misspelled words, no punctuation, etc

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ben shapino posted:

all of it, like a good little boy?
On the contrary!

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Boomers love their e-mail salutations.

Love 2 read a 50+ e-mail thread where every single reply starts with

Hi Ben,

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Admin sends an organization wide email saying everyone go home for the day (usually means covid outbreak in the main office). Admin sends a follow up email saying everyone go home for the week and that were ceasing operations till next week, and to email them with any questions. Immediately a flood of reply all emails from various employees saying "but what about me?"

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Tarkus posted:

I'm genuinely convinced that office work is an unintentional work program developed by MBA's and other useless 'professionals' to circularly perpetuate an ever growing 'manager' class. This 'manager' class is supported by the 20% or so of people who are doing actual work on top of the blue collar workers that may or may not work at the company. The two times I have worked in an office setting are the only times I have been kept so busy doing such complete non-work and endless meetings about loving nothing.

I also believe this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindstorm
Jan 28, 2011

Smellrose

ben shapino posted:

Boomers love their e-mail salutations.

Love 2 read a 50+ e-mail thread where every single reply starts with

Hi Ben,

Seriously though this poo poo sucks. I've tried to get people to engage with me more over MS Teams chat because it wastes the least amount of time with person-to-person communications. Emails always end up becoming formal letters. Phone calls get filled with endless derailing chitchat.

Stupid poo poo your work does: Gets everybody MS Teams, doesn't buy a headset for workers to use MS Teams until about 9 months later, and doesn't make it mandatory for folks to stay logged onto MS Teams (so like 10-20% of people stay logged on).