Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

lol broken again bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I am prefacing this post by asking that everyone follow the traditional rules of decorum and not ask what I do for a living, or ask me to adopt them etc.

Got a fresh new limited edition yellow Honda added to the stable!!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That probably does amazing skids with that much leverage on the brake.

.........unless the entire scooter is like 6" tall

The bars don't turn so it's a weird lean thing?? Explain. Everything.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Looks like a similar setup to the trucks on a skateboard under the front axle there.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That probably does amazing skids with that much leverage on the brake.

.........unless the entire scooter is like 6" tall

The bars don't turn so it's a weird lean thing?? Explain. Everything.

Rear kick bar acts on a spring-tensioned chain to power the rear wheel. Brake is activated by the right handlebar lever. Turning is performed by leaning, and there is a rubber bushing under the deck that transfers the leaning motion into front axle movement. It’s a clever little thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Rear kick bar acts on a spring-tensioned chain to power the rear wheel.

:allears:

Amazing

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
My kid picked one out at the swap meet at the Barber Motorsports Vintage Festival five years ago. She loved it. I recently bought a set of NOS stickers for it and we're gonna take it apart to clean up and she's gonna get to paint it whatever color she wants.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That's so cool, I've never seen that before and definitely want to try it

Oh yea got Dave in winter mode now. We got a little snow so far but Monday might be better for ripping around

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 30, 2021

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The first car I've ever had to buy without seeing it or driving it due to covid restrictions. Fortunately my boss has the same one (but not the touring) and I'd driven his, so I had a good idea what I was getting. 2018 BMW G31 520d.

Bigger, nicer inside, and more technology than my F31 330d - yet a fair amount cheaper each month. I decided to get something slower since I virtually never used the power.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Anjow posted:

The first car I've ever had to buy without seeing it or driving it due to covid restrictions. Fortunately my boss has the same one (but not the touring) and I'd driven his, so I had a good idea what I was getting. 2018 BMW G31 520d.

Bigger, nicer inside, and more technology than my F31 330d - yet a fair amount cheaper each month. I decided to get something slower since I virtually never used the power.

That's one good looking wagon!
More horsepower than most of the poo poo I own....

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Anjow posted:

Gorgeous estate!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Anjow posted:

Very cool, and looking this up reminded me of BMW's tri- and quad-turbo M550d which is hurting my brain to think about

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thank you for the kind words. There's always been a fond reaction to my BMW estates (E91, F31) in this thread, I don't know if it's because they're some sort of oddity in the US or because we've all just got good taste.

The inside is a lovely place to be:

The 3 series fit my big dog in the back, whereas this will comfortably fit two.

I've become a big fan of the linings from https://www.hatchbag.co.uk/, perfect fit, waterproof, and the last one was durable enough that it served 3 years in the E91 then 3 years in the F31! Not affiliated with them in any way.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Anjow posted:

Thank you for the kind words. There's always been a fond reaction to my BMW estates (E91, F31) in this thread, I don't know if it's because they're some sort of oddity in the US or because we've all just got good taste.
Because we don't get very many good station wagons in the US anymore, it's all big ugly crossover pieces of poo poo.

Anjow posted:

The inside is a lovely place to be:

Looks kind of like a space ship. Not sure I'll ever like gauge clusters that are just an LCD screen, though.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Theres nearly zero wagons of any kind available in the US, and I believe no BMW wagons at all anymore. I’d pick up a BMW manual wagon in a heartbeat if they let us have one, but its just crossover nonsense for days.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah I'm still driving a car designed in the 90's, It's going to be a hard shock when I finally get in to a 21st century car with a modern interior.

Anjow posted:

because we've all just got good taste.

It is more common here than not, even with the insanity. Also I wish more people would get those hatchbags. That's a fantastic idea.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Anjow posted:

The 3 series fit my big dog in the back, whereas this will comfortably fit two.

I've become a big fan of the linings from https://www.hatchbag.co.uk/, perfect fit, waterproof, and the last one was durable enough that it served 3 years in the E91 then 3 years in the F31! Not affiliated with them in any way.
I did not know something like this existed, sadly they do not make one for our primary mutt hauler.

Great looking wagon/estate.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Voltage posted:

Theres nearly zero wagons of any kind available in the US, and I believe no BMW wagons at all anymore. I’d pick up a BMW manual wagon in a heartbeat if they let us have one, but its just crossover nonsense for days.

The new Volvo wagon is a pretty good looking car:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

NitroSpazzz posted:

I did not know something like this existed, sadly they do not make one for our primary mutt hauler.

Great looking wagon/estate.

Yea now to that I know about them I need one. Even in her crate Stormy is a tornado of mess and that cover would be perfect for pet transport

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

chrisgt posted:

The new Volvo wagon is a pretty good looking car:

These are wonderful - but sometimes I wish they just sold a nice little basic wagon like a 240 still - all the tech poo poo in new cars drives me nuts. I almost picked up a buick regal tourX wagon, but my wife and I refuse to get an automatic unless its a really good one like the ZF 8 speed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Voltage posted:

my wife and I refuse to get an automatic

:hmmyes:

The Volvo wagons are the prettiest new cars available right now but owning one of those outside if warranty lmao

Maybe if they made an electric one...

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Anjow posted:

Man I wish they still sold a wagon in the US. :( That is one great looking car.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Voltage posted:

These are wonderful - but sometimes I wish they just sold a nice little basic wagon like a 240 still - all the tech poo poo in new cars drives me nuts. I almost picked up a buick regal tourX wagon, but my wife and I refuse to get an automatic unless its a really good one like the ZF 8 speed.

Yea, I had a 98 subaru legacy brighton. Manual lock, manual windows, manual transmission. The only option it had was AC.
It was kind of beat up, but it was a southern car without any rust and I really miss the thing :(
(I t-boned someone who drove out into the road the wrong way out of a parking lot...).
It was a construction vehicle:

It was a boat trailer:

And it was a skidder:

Oh, and like all subarus, the engine had to be taken out at least once in my ownership (just for a new clutch):

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KakerMix posted:

:hmmyes:

The Volvo wagons are the prettiest new cars available right now but owning one of those outside if warranty lmao

Maybe if they made an electric one...

They're going to announce a second electric-only vehicle in about a month, which is reportedly going to be some kind of lifted hatchback or coupified version of the XC40.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I should really wash my car.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

Looks like I have some work to do.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hell yeah

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Look at those meaty tires. Look at that RF tire almost pulled off the ground. :hellyeah:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Lookit that fitment hehe :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yee, car rips :D

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Rear kick bar acts on a spring-tensioned chain to power the rear wheel.

I've seen bicycles like this! Instead of pedaling in a full circle your feet just sort of make back-and-forth semicircles like a weird elliptical or something. Very weird and cool.

quote:

Turning is performed by leaning, and there is a rubber bushing under the deck that transfers the leaning motion into front axle movement. It’s a clever little thing.
100% skateboard truck/axle design. Very cool.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Dang that looks good

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

I neeeeeed it.

e: random question but can you take a photo of your transmission tunnel from the cabin and underneath the car next time you're under it? I'm trying so hard to convince myself to take a sledge to my car so I can fit properly. I just want to see how bad the damage is going to be.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 16, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Not sure what you mean, the tunnel of my car is untouched. The floor is also uncut but the OEM rear seat mount pieces were removed and the seat rail is bolted to the floor. I'm more than willing to take pictures of whatever you want though.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Finally got time to wash the car, so much AZ dust and pollen it was a different color.

Mmmh. Shiny. The chrome on the grille makes it look a lot nicer than the non-hybrid IMO. Doesn't have that catfish look to me.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Bought a 2019 Lincoln Nautilus over the weekend. Upgrading from a 2012 MKZ (with less than 80k miles) which was a very nice car too. But getting older. Figured why the frick not.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^what's the interior like on that large lad?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I did something stupid

I bought an Alfa Romeo

And I don't give a gently caress if this thing eventually blows up on me because I haven't smiled this much driving something in a very long time

2018 AWD Giulia Ti:

Hey don't worry! I'm at 35,000 miles on my 2017 Giulia RWD Ti Sport and it has been very robust. Only one "breakdown" so far (it still got home but I had to pull and replace a fuse) and that was only a starter relay for the stop/start. A bunch of software updates, sure, but Alfa decided to let you be cool and upload them yourself if you want.

Also good job getting the performance pack, you did the right thing.

Someone asked about traction control: No, the non Quadrafoglio models still don't have a good way to do it without also disabling ABS. Some tuners are trying to set it up but it does weird things with the drive mode selector. That's a bummer but they're getting closer I think, and if you're going to be a hoon it's not the end of the world to drop the ABS for a while.

I'm going to wait on the warranty period to expire then start playing a little bit with tunes. Going up to maybe 280whp doesn't cost much and shouldn't be too hard on the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Dave Inc. posted:

Hey don't worry! I'm at 35,000 miles on my 2017 Giulia RWD Ti Sport and it has been very robust. Only one "breakdown" so far (it still got home but I had to pull and replace a fuse) and that was only a starter relay for the stop/start. A bunch of software updates, sure, but Alfa decided to let you be cool and upload them yourself if you want.

Also good job getting the performance pack, you did the right thing.

Someone asked about traction control: No, the non Quadrafoglio models still don't have a good way to do it without also disabling ABS. Some tuners are trying to set it up but it does weird things with the drive mode selector. That's a bummer but they're getting closer I think, and if you're going to be a hoon it's not the end of the world to drop the ABS for a while.

I'm going to wait on the warranty period to expire then start playing a little bit with tunes. Going up to maybe 280whp doesn't cost much and shouldn't be too hard on the engine.

I put a Madness Maxpower Pro on my 2020 Ti Sport about 10 days ago (only at 6000 miles yoloooo). It's was pretty easy to get on, even considering the heat shield on mine was different than the older model in the instructions. There were two more clips I had to find but it's still only two bolts for the engine cover, two bolts for the heat shield, four cable clips and then the three sensor connections and the electrical. I feel like having done it once I could get it off now in under 15 minutes, so should be pretty dealer/warranty safe.

I'm no stranger to tuning 4 cyl turbo cars but until now it was always ECU flashes. I read that Madness says there is a break in period of about 80 miles for the piggy back and the car's ECU to adjust properly before you feel the full benefits and I kind of dismissed that because I have never used a piggy back before and it didn't make a ton of sense to me. When I first installed it the turbo seemed a bit louder but I didn't notice a huge difference just from the feel of things and I just assumed that the performance claims were a bit exaggerated. At 80 miles things didn't feel very different either.

Then at some point last week it seems like there was a lot of truth to the adjustment period but it took me more like 150-200 miles. I started noticing much bigger power surges at lower RPMs and that I was chirping the tires in gears where it previously never happened.

As for the traction control issue, I was pretty bummed when I realized there was no easy way to disable it but now that I've had the car for a few months, I have to say I don't care that much because the traction control in D mode is actually very well implemented. On other cars I've had the traction control would just completely dump the throttle, for waaay too long, at any signs of slippage but the Giulia seems to just blip it quickly to get things back. If you really care about hooning around it would be a bummer though.