Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

LeeMajors posted:

Just lol at UCF making a better hire than Tennessee. Leagues better.

TBF you have an easier route to the NY6 bowls at UCF vs UT. LOL at any chance for a slot in the playoffs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Someone as old as Mack Brown is restoring UNC. There's no reason Gus can't thrive in Orlando. Seems like a good hire.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
PSU guys - Tim Banks any good? Thamel reporting he's the new UT DC

TheRico
Mar 1, 2007
Gus is a great hire for UCF right now.

You had to bring in an AD and Coach quickly and I think both hires are home runs. Sure, Gus is gonna leave in 3-4 years but bringing in him gives the school further credibility and i'm hoping he undos the downward skid the program was experiencing with Huepel.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Joey Freshwater posted:

his coaching of the safeties left much to be desired. i know he has past dc experience other places but i can't speak to that, co-dc was only a title for a salary bump with brent pry calling the shots.

he's an excellent recruiter though, especially in the detroit area. and hey, everyone that lives in michigan is already moving to tennesee so why not

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Good recruiter.

Not sure if he is a good coach.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Roasted Donut posted:

his coaching of the safeties left much to be desired. i know he has past dc experience other places but i can't speak to that, co-dc was only a title for a salary bump with brent pry calling the shots.

he's an excellent recruiter though, especially in the detroit area. and hey, everyone that lives in michigan is already moving to tennesee so why not

Regnevelc posted:

Good recruiter.

Not sure if he is a good coach.

Thanks - Heupel's reported shortcoming was recruiting so it's good seeing he's getting guys around him that are strong in that aspect. Seems like Banks is also used to fast paced offenses.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

On Gus's buyout, I remember the SZD guys saying that $10 million was guaranteed immediately.

So a lot of the other $10 million will be reduced by this but people don't become head football coaches to retire the moment you get $20 million.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1362186685845495814?s=20

lmao

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Martinez is a good recruiter and last time he was with UT he developed Sutton, Gaulden, TKJr, Coleman and Randolph. All guys that were solid. Anything higher than a position coach I'd be worried and I know he's a running SEC joke but I can't seem to care about this.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
UCF is hiring Mizzou's DB coach to be co-defensive coordinator. Are there any mizzou fans that can shed light on why they might do this? never thought of mizzou as a good defensive team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

zimbomonkey posted:

UCF is hiring Mizzou's DB coach to be co-defensive coordinator. Are there any mizzou fans that can shed light on why they might do this? never thought of mizzou as a good defensive team.

THEY WERE ONCE!!!!

Er, anyway, I'd guess recruiting and he had some real NFL hype going for a few guys that I never understood why (this came to not a lot in the end). That's all I've got, other than I have no reason to dislike him and I hope he works out well for you guys and for him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Alright I'd forgotten this part somehow...

quote:

Gibbs, a former defensive coordinator at Texas Tech

And yes it was the Texas Tech years you're thinking of. Sorry.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 18, 2021

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
His whole thing was "COACHING TURNOVERS!!" and Mizzou was pretty bad at turnovers during his tenure? I really don't have an opinion on him either way, but it seems he really wanted to get hired as Mizzou's DC so is taking the next best thing

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

The mizzou to ucf coaching pipeline remains strong

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

His whole thing was "COACHING TURNOVERS!!" and Mizzou was pretty bad at turnovers during his tenure? I really don't have an opinion on him either way, but it seems he really wanted to get hired as Mizzou's DC so is taking the next best thing

If I were randomly thrown into a DC job and had to fake my way through it, I would also be the turnovers coach because it seems like randomness is a big part of getting turnovers so maybe I'd get lucky.

Yup, 10% more interceptions in my first year as DC. That's all my system doing its work right there.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I would also be the turnovers coach because it seems like randomness is a big part of getting turnovers so maybe I'd get lucky.

IIRC but am too lazy to re-look up, one of Saban's Bama teams was like dead last one year in fumble recoveries

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

IIRC but am too lazy to re-look up, one of Saban's Bama teams was like dead last one year in fumble recoveries

Those loving bums fire that DC!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

D.N. Nation posted:

If so, an interesting demonstration of how such stats, in isolation, are given too much importance. Although I must say fumble recoveries, especially scoop-n-scores, are one of the finest things when they go your way.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Basically forcing fumbles is a skill but recovering them is 100% dumb luck no matter how much defensive coaches insist otherwise. You can't really control the way a football is going to bounce.

Interceptions relative to pass break ups also tend to be pretty flukey year to year iirc and obviously are going to be pretty opponent dependant too

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

MourningView posted:

Basically forcing fumbles is a skill but recovering them is 100% dumb luck no matter how much defensive coaches insist otherwise. You can't really control the way a football is going to bounce.

Interceptions relative to pass break ups also tend to be pretty flukey year to year iirc and obviously are going to be pretty opponent dependant too

You say that, but I swear to god Mizzou is physically unable to pick up a ball drop by an opponent at their feet (and also fielding a punt)

edit: i just looked and it was exactly 50% lol

the point about fielding punts remains though and I think represents the difference between Mizzou total fumbles (17) and their opponents (12)

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 19, 2021

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Back in '18 UGA did the bafflingly-perpetual "intentionally drop the ball before crossing the goal line" thing against Mizzou, Mizzou recovered the fumble and took it 100 yards for a score only for the refs to wave it off and then also not give them the score on review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIbKEGt68D4

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

D.N. Nation posted:

Back in '18 UGA did the bafflingly-perpetual "intentionally drop the ball before crossing the goal line" thing against Mizzou, Mizzou recovered the fumble and took it 100 yards for a score only for the refs to wave it off and then also not give them the score on review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIbKEGt68D4

I think he was probably in but the entire 2018 season was full of calls like this that went against Mizzou. I don't think there's any conspiracy obviously, that's just Mizzou.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/38Godfrey/status/1362772027812282377

Football coaches are something else

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dylan Brooks finally let out of his NLI to Tennessee unconditionally; they had sought to block him from going to an SEC school. Auburn still said to be the frontrunner even after the coaching change but all the top schools were in on him and will presumably try again.

E: and Saturday he announced for Auburn, becoming the top player in the class and bumping them back into the top 20

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 20, 2021

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/TarletonFB/status/1363663625949310976

This was Tarleton State's second game in Division 1. Big yikes for New Mexico State. They wouldn't be competitive even if they moved their football to the WAC (which they should do anyway)

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 22, 2021

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

dirty shrimp money posted:

https://twitter.com/TarletonFB/status/1363663625949310976

This was Tarleton State's second game in Division 1. Big yikes for New Mexico State. They wouldn't be competitive even if they moved their football to the WAC (which they should do anyway)

What is NMSU doing playing right now? I know FCS moved their season, are the Aggies just wanting :homebrew:?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

TipTow posted:

What is NMSU doing playing right now? I know FCS moved their season, are the Aggies just wanting :homebrew:?

I would assume they’re paying Tarleton to come play, and also there was no TV for this game and they had to play in El Paso, so I’m not sure what they’re getting out of it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

I would assume they’re paying Tarleton to come play, and also there was no TV for this game and they had to play in El Paso, so I’m not sure what they’re getting out of it.

You're probably right about just wanting to play. I'm not/never have been an athlete, though, and I find it hard to imagine wanting to play during the offseason just to get your poo poo stomped by a team a subdivision below you. Yikes.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
OU receiver Spencer Jones started a bar fight and allegedly almost lost his eye due to the damage he took.

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-fo...dbdcb9820c.html

https://twitter.com/OldRowSooners/status/1362962386592755715

I Do like how its all "he's a good kid." Why the gently caress is he in a packed bar with no mask on getting involved in a loving fight.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

He committed the cardinal sin of loving with a wrestler. You just don’t do that in any circumstance

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Love to retain legal counsel and tell everyone I was trying to deescalate the situation after asking someone 'what they got' and finding out

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

soggybagel posted:

I Do like how its all "he's a good kid." Why the gently caress is he in a packed bar with no mask on getting involved in a loving fight.

You think Oklahoma cares about public health like at all? :lol:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KKKLIP ART posted:

He committed the cardinal sin of loving with a wrestler. You just don’t do that in any circumstance

As a general rule of thumb probably avoid fighting any short guy from Iowa or Oklahoma, there is a greater than 50% chance they have been practicing for this exact moment since they were like 8 and will have you in a half nelson in seconds.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

You think Oklahoma cares about public health like at all? :lol:

No. Most places in America don’t I just found the irony of his people being like “he’s a good kid” even with the video evidence we have.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Got a meeting with Saban later this week. Anything you degenerates want me to ask him?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Got a meeting with Saban later this week. Anything you degenerates want me to ask him?

Ask him about Auburn firing Gus

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Warbird posted:

Ask him who makes the best pepperoni rolls in West Virginia.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Warbird posted:

Whats left on the plate to upgrade as far as facilities? Tell him an anonymous recent graduate with money to burn is curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Of all his assistants, who has the biggest hog?