Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teek posted:

Shuri is going to have to eat some of her brother's flesh to get power, which will also kick off Marvel Zombies in the MCU.

Finally, a role for Armie Hammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, the seminal TNC/Stelfreeze run on the comic (both Black creators) which hugely influenced Coogler and the art team on the film was explicitly about reforming the Wakandan government to a constitutional monarchy with an elected council representing the tribes.

gently caress that go full Reginald Hudlin and have them have the cure for cancer and cure for AIDS as a secret for no reason.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Teek posted:

Shuri is going to have to eat some of her brother's flesh to get power, which will also kick off Marvel Zombies in the MCU.

Bad news for all the M'Baku fans.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Svensken posted:

It's a theocratic dictatorship. I'm going to go ahead and say that what the members of the monarchy see is not necessarily the sum total of public opinion.

We haven't seen public opinion so we don't know There is no reason to believe the public believes the monarchy is bad other than a western centric point of view we are bringing in

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Mulva posted:

A man jumps into a lake and takes another man's cock off with an ice cream scoop, that happened.

Wait which movie is this because I desperately need to see it.

gimme dat dick scoopin action

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

We haven't seen public opinion so we don't know There is no reason to believe the public believes the monarchy is bad other than a western centric point of view we are bringing in

Absolute monarchies are a western construct to begin with.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Rabid Snake posted:

The malcolm in the middle intro really made me feel old as hell

i remember when that show came out and was releasing new episodes

gently caress

edit: gently caress my account is as old as malcolm in the middle christ

Ha, now imagine if you were me and instead it was remembering new episodes of Family Ties/Growing Pains.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Sarcastro posted:

Ha, now imagine if you were me and instead it was remembering new episodes of Family Ties/Growing Pains.

Life is unfair.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The X-man cometh posted:

... this is empirically wrong. The hell?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

gently caress that go full Reginald Hudlin and have them have the cure for cancer and cure for AIDS as a secret for no reason.

I mean current comics status quo has them refusing the X-Men's magic cure for Alzheimer's because they don't need it, so I think that's still true?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

tsob posted:

I'm kind of wondering how they'll work around how someone else even becomes Black Panther after T'Challa's demise in the story, given that Killmonger burned all the heart shaped herb and T'Challa ingested the last one. They'll probably say that was just one colony in the royal palace, and T'Challa was able to discover another or nurture more due to his spiritual connection or something, but they don't really seem like something that'd be growing wild (or there'd be at least one other Black Panther running around after finding some of them) and there's no reason the palace would have multiple plantations of them but only burn one on the king's orders. It might even tie in to the narrative, with the next ruler needing both to fight for the throne and to find some heart shaped herb to truly become ruler.

The idea that a society as technologically advanced as the Wakandans would only have a single point of failure for something as important to their culture as the heart shaped herb seems a little hard to believe. Seems to me like it would be pretty straightforward to say that they had a seed bank or something as a backup, and it just never came up in the movie because it's a superfluous detail that doesn't really add anything to the film.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Lid posted:

David Cross as Thanos.

“I just fingered myself”

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

live with fruit posted:

She's also the most likely one to dissolve the monarchy, which is something the series has to deal with eventually. But then, if there's no throne, there's no Dora Milaje and Okoye's gonna need a new job.
Black Panther never goes deeply into its political structure, but there is clearly this whole council of the different tribes that has power and a big deal is made when Killmonger stops listening to them besides the Tribe that is literally the police. Like is it an ideal government? Probably not, but it's a movie for children telling a fantasy story. It philosophically gestures to Democratic ideals just like it's bad that Aragorn is still a monarch in real world terms, but him kneeling before the Hobbits gets across principles of democracy without going into the wonky creation of Middle Earth Parliament.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Black Panther never goes deeply into its political structure, but there is clearly this whole council of the different tribes that has power and a big deal is made when Killmonger stops listening to them besides the Tribe that is literally the police. Like is it an ideal government? Probably not, but it's a movie for children telling a fantasy story. It philosophically gestures to Democratic ideals just like it's bad that Aragorn is still a monarch in real world terms, but him kneeling before the Hobbits gets across principles of democracy without going into the wonky creation of Middle Earth Parliament.

The first movie is about imperialism, and part of T'Challa's character arc is dealing with how terrible all the previous kings were. By the movie's own language, it has to deal with the fact that Wakanda is not a democracy at some point. Especially since basically everybody but Angela Bassett is displeased with the system as it exists.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, you get hints of the unspoken non-autocratic power dynamics when all the other tribal leaders get the chance to contest the kingship and pointedly decline (except M'Baku). Presumably in the past there were candidates for kingship who didn't maintain friendly relations with the tribal council who ended up going headfirst over the waterfall.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Weeds.

The ultimate family comedy.

I mean if you're gonna go this far may as well do Dexter. You know you want SLJ coming in with the SURPRISE MOTHER FUCKER

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Weeds.

The ultimate family comedy.

Sexy desperate mom - check
Wacky creepy uncle - check
2 hosed up boys - check
Dead husband - check

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Thoughts while catching up with thread:

swickles posted:

Yeah one thing to keep in mind is the timing of all this. This isn't two years later, this is literally weeks after Wanda came unsnapped and the events of Endgame. To her the events of Infinity War including Vision's death are still fresh. He did have a good point was he implying that Woo and Darcy were also snapped?

Woo surely wasn't snapped, since he had time to perfect close-up magic in the interim since we last saw him.

Gaz-L posted:

It's been a while since I watched it, but... does Wanda actually know Pietro died saving Hawkeye and a Sokovian kid? She just kind of 'sensed' he was dead via her powers/twin magic, right?

In the moment, yeah, but come on - Hawkeye would have told her what happened, especially since he was the one essentially accompanying Pietro's corpse onto the helicarrier.

stev posted:

More the song than the credits themselves. It's like they heard precisely one song from a Nickelodeon ad in the early 2000s and thought "yes we can do that".

Uh, the songwriters are extremely accomplished to say the least - this is a very silly take.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Shuri can just use tech to power the next Black Panther, theres a tech-focused hero role that recently became available in the MCU.

They can just lie about the seeing the spectral realm, just make up some vague waffle about ancestors said 'do what I want'. Saves having to CGI Chadwick Boseman.

I want the tech guy Monica introduces to just be Aaron Stack, with the Vision Body subplot its prime time for him to get androidified. Give Darcy Boomboom powers from the hex and we nearly have the Nextwave Crew, ready to be sucked away into another dimension for HATE shenanigans

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sarcastro posted:

In the moment, yeah, but come on - Hawkeye would have told her what happened, especially since he was the one essentially accompanying Pietro's corpse onto the helicarrier.

Picturing Clint telling a distraught Wanda "your brother died pushing us aside, but he has super speed. He could have just dodged the bullets, or moved with us when we were pushed out of the way. Your brother died for no reason.

Welcome to the avengers."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

OB_Juan posted:

It's Always Sunny in Westview. I guess Pietro is Charlie, but who's Frank?

Agnes's husband played by Danny DeVito! And/or Mephisto.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
The thing I keep coming back to is Darcy's question "Why a sitcom?" If Wanda wanted to live an idyllic life with Vision and her kids, she could have wound up in a Disney movie or a historical romance or any other happy little genre setting. But we still don't know why Wandavision is a sitcom. I wonder if Pietro's comment that Wanda's parents "would love this" means that it was Wanda and Pietro's parents who were big fans of sitcoms and that's why Wanda finds the genre so comforting. It's the only connection to her parents she has left.

I can't shake the feeling that if there is something or someone besides Wanda that is in control of Westview, then whatever that individual wants requires the show to progress through multiple "seasons" and then reach the series finale. That's why Agnes and Herb and Pietro are always there to move things along if Wanda or Vision go off the rails. It has to be acted out, and it has to be broadcast. So who, besides SWORD and us, is watching?

I wonder if the moments in "Special Episode" and "Halloween Spooktacular" where Wanda is being confronted about her decision to resurrect Vision and control the town are being censored out of the broadcast or not. If they are, it could mean that whoever is doing the censoring is trying to conceal how conflicted Wanda is about what she's done and force a confrontation between Wanda and the outside authorities.

Agnes has to be somebody important. She never got an ID on the cast wall, and her character is featured by herself on one of the Disney+ preview posters for the show. If Agnes is Agatha Harkness, was the Westview anomaly originally created by Agatha as a "safe space" where Wanda could learn to deal with her grief, only for Wanda to take control of it, trapping Agatha and the inhabitants of Westview inside?

So many questions, and we've only reached the end of Act 2.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The X-man cometh posted:

Egypts at u thoughtfully

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Sarcastro posted:

Uh, the songwriters are extremely accomplished to say the least - this is a very silly take.

Who were they?

I can't say I cared for the song itself, but I did like how sinister it is under the surface, just blatantly admitting it's all fake and challenging Wanda/Vision to just submit and give in to it anyway. If it's sung from the kids' perspective as it seems to be -- the same kids who are aware of and narrating to the camera -- they could still be aligned with the entity/entities trying to manipulate her, though maybe not wholly malicious about it. There's no reason to doubt that the kids may be genuinely concerned about Vision, but being granted super powers right in time to save him was pretty convenient. They're still potentially tools being used to help manipulate her, and a dead Vision wouldn't do anyone any good.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Quiet Python posted:

The thing I keep coming back to is Darcy's question "Why a sitcom?" If Wanda wanted to live an idyllic life with Vision and her kids, she could have wound up in a Disney movie or a historical romance or any other happy little genre setting. But we still don't know why Wandavision is a sitcom. I wonder if Pietro's comment that Wanda's parents "would love this" means that it was Wanda and Pietro's parents who were big fans of sitcoms and that's why Wanda finds the genre so comforting. It's the only connection to her parents she has left.

I can't shake the feeling that if there is something or someone besides Wanda that is in control of Westview, then whatever that individual wants requires the show to progress through multiple "seasons" and then reach the series finale. That's why Agnes and Herb and Pietro are always there to move things along if Wanda or Vision go off the rails. It has to be acted out, and it has to be broadcast. So who, besides SWORD and us, is watching?

One thing that struct me when Vision freed Norm he played the pronoun game. "She's in my head. None of it is my own. It hurts. It hurts so much. Just make her stop."
He never said Wanda. It could still be Agnes/Agatha.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Hughlander posted:

One thing that struct me when Vision freed Norm he played the pronoun game. "She's in my head. None of it is my own. It hurts. It hurts so much. Just make her stop."

But then Kitty Forman pleaded specifically to Wanda to save her husband. She, at least, though Wanda was in control.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

live with fruit posted:

But then Kitty Forman pleaded specifically to Wanda to save her husband. She, at least, though Wanda was in control.

Yep, I took that though of "This is my line, and the next line hasn't been given yet, I'll repeat it."

I guess we'll see soon enough but my money is on a reveal of someone else that has a strong influence over things. The whole accent in the real world no accent in Westview seems either imposed or impersonation.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah I think Agnes is a deliberate red herring. She's given enough screen time that the audience assumes there's some hidden twist to her character but it turns out there isn't.

I'm really interested to see where this is going. There's clearly something unrevealed about this setup, which is why they made a point of Wanda revealing she doesn't quite know how it all started. But Wanda is clearly in control of the vast majority of what we are seeing and is fully aware that she's doing some pretty horrific and unethical stuff in order to enact her little fantasy escape, and the obvious end of this arc is that she needs to come to terms with the loss of Vision and her brother and also face some kind of reckoning for her actions.

I would really really hate for them to betray that arc by pulling a supervillain out from behind the curtain in the final act and claim it was them all along.

e: it seems to me the most obvious explanation for what's going on is that Wanda has had an emotional breakdown, and so while she is in control of everything going on within the hex, she also isn't always 'in control' which is why her grip slackens when she isn't focusing or is surprised.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hughlander posted:

If it isn't Wanda, then the show is pissing all over itself either to have a twist for the sake of having a twist or to absolve Wanda of all guilt given that Wanda has shown that she is control of the order of events around her multiple times, that she has been able to literally get people to freeze up when she has other things to think about, that when Vision said he couldn't control her too that she outright challenged him on that assertion, that multiple people have shown fear or nerves around her when things don't seem to be going her way and so seem like they are personally in fear of her and that she didn't even try to avoid admitting moral fault when Pietro asked her where the kids were. There is just way to much evidence that Wanda is the one controlling the townspeople for it to really be Agatha all along without the show turning itself into some serious knots to make it work. There might be someone else influencing Wanda, but Wanda herself is very definitely in control at this point.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The people behind the Frozen songs and stuff.

Also, I didn't realise that was actually Kathleen Hannah on vocals.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Yeah I think Agnes is a deliberate red herring. She's given enough screen time that the audience assumes there's some hidden twist to her character but it turns out there isn't.
Her actress also already played a Marvel villain who was the secret architect for a machine designed to restore the dead loved ones of a supervillain by warping reality itself.

EDIT: I think the retaking it moment is really good because it can be read as Agnes asking Wanda and her commanding Wanda.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
How do you read her hesitant, nervous question as a command? :raise:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

tsob posted:

How do you read her hesitant, nervous question as a command? :raise:
Her actual line is:

AGNES: You want me to hold the babies. Should we just take it from the top?

You're right about the line read, but the first part of the quote is her stating that Wanda wants her to hold the babies. The inflection is a question. The text is a command.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Junkenstein posted:

The people behind the Frozen songs and stuff.

As well as Book of Mormon, Avenue Q, (and Coco and Frozen 2, and a bunch of other more kid-friendly stuff).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Timeless Appeal posted:

Her actual line is:

AGNES: You want me to hold the babies. Should we just take it from the top?

You're right about the line read, but the first part of the quote is her stating that Wanda wants her to hold the babies. The inflection is a question. The text is a command.

If the inflection is a question then it doesn't matter if the text could possibly be construed as a command though; especially with the way she follows it up.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

tsob posted:

If the inflection is a question then it doesn't matter if the text could possibly be construed as a command though; especially with the way she follows it up.
I mean it does matter if the reveal is that Agnes truly is behind things and subtly controlling Wanda.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I disagree. I suppose on a technical level then someone could point at it and go "see; foreshadowing", but I'd still be inclined to tell them to go gently caress themselves because the way the scene is constructed it doesn't work at all as Agnes actually issuing a command.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't think she's issuing a command. She's reminding Wanda what comes next in the scene. "This is the part where I hold the babies."

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Alchenar posted:

Or there will be a reveal that she is Agatha Harkness (or someone else in the magical-know), and was there for a reason, but the reason was benign or neutral. Maybe Doctor Strange sent here there to keep a close eye on Wanda, because he knows powerful magic and a shitload of trauma are a dangerous thing to leave someone unsupervised with, but can't go himself without being recognized. Then at the end of the series, we get the reveal when Agnes reports back to the Sorcerer Supreme.

Strange: "So, once she activated the hex, you were powerless to stop her? Like you were trapped in another universe, twisted by her unstable mental state?"

Agnes: "Another universe? It was an entire Multiverse.... OF MADNESS."

Dun dun dunnnnnnnn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Jimmy went to Westview to check on someone in the witness protection program, did they ever reveal who that person is? Is it important or just a plot device to set things in motion?