Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought the ratio was 2:1:1, as in if I kept 40g of starter then I’d mix in 20g of flour and 20g of water. But you’re all saying it’s 1:1:1? I guess it doesn’t actually matter at all but that might explain why my bread flour and AP flour starters (both started from my whole wheat starter) are so slow cause I’m not feeding them enough.

And this might be philosophical but say my mother starter was 30 days old, and then I take some of that to create a new starter with a different flour. Is that new starter also 30 days old or is it 0 days old since it’s the same yeast… similarly I often think about how old my monstera plant is. I’ve had it for a couple of years, but that thing came from a cutting that came from and older plant. It’s probably like hundreds of years old.
(Quoting you but also responding more broadly…)

My understanding is that 1:1:1 starter:flour:water is basically the “standard” and you can adjust from there as needed. The flour/water is literally the food and your yeast culture in the starter will eat it. So if you do, say, 1:2:2, you’re giving more food so you can go longer between feedings (and thus your peak ripeness will occur later compared to 1:1:1).

My 100% AP starter will peak in like 4-5 hours at 1:1:1 so if I want to feed before bed and have something ripe to use in the morning I’m in trouble without increasing the amount of food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I think the only thing that actually matters is that you keep your mix at 100% hydration.

If you do something unbalanced then eventually you are going to end up all water or all flour.

edit: If you carry forward only a little starter then it's just going to take longer to rise because the culture has to grow. If you carry over mostly starter then you will have to feed it more frequently because it's going to eat everything quickly.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

redreader posted:

I think some of us are starting our sourdough starters and most of you have existing sourdough starters that you're already using.

I think Keetron's starter is fairly new, checking back on their posts it's from the last day of January.

Yup, a little over a week now and I think 1:1:1 is underfeeding if I go daily, the rise is lackluster and it smells like alcohol.

I was planning to try 1:2:2 but then i read this:

Chad Sexington posted:

I'd say 1:1:1 at LEAST. I just eyeball it these days, but I'm usually doing like 4:4:1. Gotta give the yeasties room to run.

So you know, I will just experiment a bit and see what works. As long as it rises and does not smell like a distillery I think I'll be fine. It gives me something to do. :bread:

This will also help I think :

Murgos posted:

I think the only thing that actually matters is that you keep your mix at 100% hydration.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Keetron posted:

Yup, a little over a week now and I think 1:1:1 is underfeeding if I go daily, the rise is lackluster and it smells like alcohol.

Update: it reeked of alcohol again this morning, this means I am underfeeding I believe so what I did was do a 1:2:2 feed this morning and see how well it rises during the day.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Had a really nice bake today

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I was bored and read through my Kitchen Aid manual and they basically say you only need to knead dough for 2-4 minutes because every 2 minutes by machine is 10-12 minutes by hand. But everything I’ve made with it so far I’ve used for 10+ minutes cause before then the dough looks like a gooey mess instead of a lump of dough that you could pick up and work with. Is kneaded dough generally suppose to be sticky to the point where I need to scrape it out of the bowl? Cause the stuff I learned to bake from my grandma was basically “it’s not done until the bowl and your hands are clean” so I just thought that was the case.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It depends on the dough

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

It depends on the dough

Yeah, to expand: a 100% white flour dough will come together really fast. The dough I’ve referred to before, with coarse wholemeal (plus other flours, and molasses) always stays sticky and shaggy even if I machine knead for ten minutes. I get some rise from it but those flours are never going to give me good gluten formation, no matter how long it’s kneaded.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it's nit consistent but there are some bowl and hook combos cannot knead a small amount of dough well. If you have an excuse to double, like freezer space, give it a go.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Dacap posted:

Had a really nice bake today

Looks fantastic.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Boris Galerkin posted:

I was bored and read through my Kitchen Aid manual and they basically say you only need to knead dough for 2-4 minutes because every 2 minutes by machine is 10-12 minutes by hand. But everything I’ve made with it so far I’ve used for 10+ minutes cause before then the dough looks like a gooey mess instead of a lump of dough that you could pick up and work with. Is kneaded dough generally suppose to be sticky to the point where I need to scrape it out of the bowl? Cause the stuff I learned to bake from my grandma was basically “it’s not done until the bowl and your hands are clean” so I just thought that was the case.

what hydration doughs are you working with here? apologies if i’ve asked this before, i don’t remember anything

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

After 10 days of loving around with a starter, making levain, and god knows what, I forgot to salt the no knead dough. I just dumped salt on it and tried stirring it again but I am so angry right now. We'll see tomorrow when I bake it how it went but JFC does the universe not want me to bake sour dough bread.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Adding salt later is fine. I mean, ideally you noticed before like the second proof, but you can knead whatever into a dough. In fact, my recipe has me adding the salt an hour after everything else as the wild yeast is too pathetic to cope with the salinity.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Keetron posted:

After 10 days of loving around with a starter, making levain, and god knows what, I forgot to salt the no knead dough. I just dumped salt on it and tried stirring it again but I am so angry right now. We'll see tomorrow when I bake it how it went but JFC does the universe not want me to bake sour dough bread.

i don't know how much work you want to do, but adding salt after the fact is totally fine. the best way to do it is to dissolve in some water, and just knead it in. this is actually how i do about half my doughs these days.

as for content, fried up some toutons this week to go with soup:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mediaphage posted:

what hydration doughs are you working with here? apologies if i’ve asked this before, i don’t remember anything

I’ve made these two with the machine so far:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/perfectly-pillowy-cinnamon-rolls-recipe

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/japanese-milk-bread-recipe

About 82% and 61%. For both I’m counting milk as water and only the flour mass, unless I’m suppose to count all wet mass and all dry mass. For the second one it also had an egg and melted butter.

I think I just need to watch some YouTube videos of people making bread so I can get a better idea of what it’s suppose to look and feel like.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’ve made these two with the machine so far:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/perfectly-pillowy-cinnamon-rolls-recipe

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/japanese-milk-bread-recipe

About 82% and 61%. For both I’m counting milk as water and only the flour mass, unless I’m suppose to count all wet mass and all dry mass. For the second one it also had an egg and melted butter.

I think I just need to watch some YouTube videos of people making bread so I can get a better idea of what it’s suppose to look and feel like.

how big is your mixer

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

mediaphage posted:

how big is your mixer

It’s 5 quarts.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s 5 quarts.

i mostly ask because those are pretty small batches of dough for a stand mixer. the next time you make bread, try using your paddle attachment instead of a dough hook and see how the dough responds.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mediaphage posted:

i don't know how much work you want to do, but adding salt after the fact is totally fine. the best way to do it is to dissolve in some water, and just knead it in. this is actually how i do about half my doughs these days.

as for content, fried up some toutons this week to go with soup:

I have never heard of these before but they look good. Going to make some soon.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aramoro posted:

I have never heard of these before but they look good. Going to make some soon.

nice! toutons are great. i recommend doing a 67%-ish hydration lean dough, leave it sit in the fridge overnight. pull out hunks of somewhere between two to four ounces, roll into balls, pat flattish (like the size of your palm if you aren't a gorilla), and let rest covered for 20 minutes or so. then just fry on both sides until done!

traditionally they're done in salt pork fat but i used a combo of butter and rice bran oil. any oil will work, i just added butter for extra flavour.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Took my second crack at this Serious Eats Pullman loaf and not super thrilled with how it turned out.

Increased the quantities to be ~1,100 grams but it still didn't fill the pan. Then I basically let it overproof hoping it would fill things out. It does taste good, especially with the semolina flour, but lesson learned: never trust a recipe that doesn't list ingredients by weight.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Chad Sexington posted:

never trust a recipe that doesn't list ingredients by weight.
:hmmyes:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I made the perfect loaf's pain de mie. super good https://www.theperfectloaf.com/pain-de-mie/

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mediaphage posted:

nice! toutons are great. i recommend doing a 67%-ish hydration lean dough, leave it sit in the fridge overnight. pull out hunks of somewhere between two to four ounces, roll into balls, pat flattish (like the size of your palm if you aren't a gorilla), and let rest covered for 20 minutes or so. then just fry on both sides until done!

traditionally they're done in salt pork fat but i used a combo of butter and rice bran oil. any oil will work, i just added butter for extra flavour.

So had a go at them

Has a slight trouble with the thickness I think, making it tricky to get them cooked right though. Slightly closed texture but overall very nice. A lot like English muffins but with a nicer crust.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

When I make rolls I’ve been baking them in my muffin tin, but I put some oil on the bottom of the tin and they turn out a little like that. It kind of fries up the bottom which is nice.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

trip report on the sour dough:
- preheated the over at 180C, forgot to put it to 240
- turned oven to 240 when putting in the bread.
- baked for 30 minutes with lid on dutch oven, then put lid on the furnace that my wife needed 10 minutes later when I was not in the room. She is doing fine by now but her thumb still hurts a few hours later.
- baked another 15 minutes

The initial 14 hour rise went okee, the rise after shaping the bread was lackluster. Taste of the bread is good, especially with some sour cream I had left over.

To improve:
- more fluffiness, either use more starter or feed the levain more? Not sure here.
- heat up oven properly
- salt properly

And why does my dough smelled of alcohol after a 14h rise?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Keetron posted:

That would be because of the alcohol. It's yeast, it eats sugar and produces booze and CO2.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Keetron posted:

trip report on the sour dough:
- preheated the over at 180C, forgot to put it to 240
- turned oven to 240 when putting in the bread.
- baked for 30 minutes with lid on dutch oven, then put lid on the furnace that my wife needed 10 minutes later when I was not in the room. She is doing fine by now but her thumb still hurts a few hours later.
- baked another 15 minutes

The initial 14 hour rise went okee, the rise after shaping the bread was lackluster. Taste of the bread is good, especially with some sour cream I had left over.

To improve:
- more fluffiness, either use more starter or feed the levain more? Not sure here.
- heat up oven properly
- salt properly

The low rise could very well be a symptom of the low initial baking temperature. You want high temperature initially and you want it fast so the vaporizing water in the dough makes it grow upwards. This is also the(/a) reason why you use steam while baking as the steam heats up the bread faster than dry air. Dutch oven has the same effect, the vaporizing water can't escape.

The alcoholic smell, I'm not sure. Normally it would be a sign that a starter has eaten through all the flour and needs to be refreshed but I never had alcoholic smell in a dough itself.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aramoro posted:

So had a go at them

Has a slight trouble with the thickness I think, making it tricky to get them cooked right though. Slightly closed texture but overall very nice. A lot like English muffins but with a nicer crust.

they look great! mine ended up thicker than intended but were cooked through (measured with an instant read thermometer). you can vary the heat of the pan / oil if they start to get too brown before the insides are fully set. could also prolly pop them in the microwave for 30-60s if they’re just a tetch under.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mediaphage posted:

they look great! mine ended up thicker than intended but were cooked through (measured with an instant read thermometer). you can vary the heat of the pan / oil if they start to get too brown before the insides are fully set. could also prolly pop them in the microwave for 30-60s if they’re just a tetch under.

I use an instant read thermometer as well, I just popped them in the oven whilst I was frying the others.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aramoro posted:

I use an instant read thermometer as well, I just popped them in the oven whilst I was frying the others.

honestly i can’t tell you how pleased i am you made some lol

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Made some lazy bagels yesterday

Normally I have to time around work and can't catch the rise, but I got it on point and it's not over proofed at all

I didn't have enough space on the baking sheet so I managed to use my cast iron as an adhoc baking sheet

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Whenever I need to make a boule or similar, say for bread or pizza dough, I try to do the instructed am make a taught ball by tucking the dough under itself, which I gather is meant to make it keep it's near spherical shape. But mine always flatten out, is this an issue with the dough itself or my technique?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Whenever I need to make a boule or similar, say for bread or pizza dough, I try to do the instructed am make a taught ball by tucking the dough under itself, which I gather is meant to make it keep it's near spherical shape. But mine always flatten out, is this an issue with the dough itself or my technique?

Could be either. I usually do the envelope fold to get height and then tuck and turn to build surface tension.

Does it look nice and round before it flattens?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mediaphage posted:

honestly i can’t tell you how pleased i am you made some lol

They were really great, I'm gonna be making more. Actually going to try sourdough ones next time I'm doing a morning bake. Which should be Wednesday.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aramoro posted:

They were really great, I'm gonna be making more. Actually going to try sourdough ones next time I'm doing a morning bake. Which should be Wednesday.

that is probably more closely hewn to the historical version given that they were prone to long overnight ferments before cooking on the stove in the morning. you might try them in rendered pork fat (probably salt pork). definitely have them with molasses at some point (though being who i am i tend to prefer sorghum syrup, especially with butter).

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I never realized how much of the flavor I associate with rye bread is actually caraway seeds. Made my normal sourdough loaf, but with 300g of bread flour, 140g of rye flour and heaping teaspoons of fennel and caraway powder I found at the local Korean supermarket.

Fired a bunch of neurons related to sense memories eating sandwiches on rye at Jewish delis where I grew up.

Pretty crap rise though! Rye is a bitch for forming gluten.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I think I've given up on my sourdough starter. Forgot to feed it around day 8 and it hadn't bubbled much since day 3 when people told me 'it'll die down'. I put in a date at day 9 too, fed it until day 12 or so then abandoned it.

I'll make another when it's warmer or something. My house is a bit chilly around this time of year.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

redreader posted:

I think I've given up on my sourdough starter. Forgot to feed it around day 8 and it hadn't bubbled much since day 3 when people told me 'it'll die down'. I put in a date at day 9 too, fed it until day 12 or so then abandoned it.

I'll make another when it's warmer or something. My house is a bit chilly around this time of year.

It takes a while. Don't give up now, you're probably not far from viability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Chad Sexington posted:

It takes a while. Don't give up now, you're probably not far from viability.

Hm, but I haven't fed it since like, friday night.