Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I want an SMTV release date and for Wind Waker HD to come out. I’m easy to please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I have never been more angry at watching an anime than I was at watching Char's Counterattack. I will never understand how anyone could defend that film.

I remember being lukewarm on it the first time I watched it, so I gave it a rewatch about a year ago and I don't know why I was ever even lukewarm because it's a loving terrible film imho.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

hatty posted:

I want an SMTV release date and for Wind Waker HD to come out. I’m easy to please

All I wanted was some SMTV gameplay and a release date, but now that you mentioned it, yes please port Wind Waker HD to Switch as well

(I missed the tier list posting but Wind Waker is the best Zelda don't @ me)

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Looking forward to Nintendo finally acknowledging that Metroid prime trilogy is dead and the original games never actually existed except in our heads

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

wuggles posted:

At least Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 Remix (KH3 is just Particle Effects: The Game, sorry Switch owners)

You don't need to apologize for this one. Nobody wants any of that

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

nachos posted:

Looking forward to Nintendo finally acknowledging that Metroid prime trilogy is dead and the original games never actually existed except in our heads

The direct is a 50 minute funeral for the Metroid Prime trilogy, no announcements.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Metroid is definitely one of the worst-treated franchises in video game history in terms of average quality : output.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd love to see more about the BotW sequel but given that they said "games coming out in the first half of 2021" I sorta doubt we'll see that.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

mfcrocker posted:

Pokemon's 25th anniversary kicks off on Feb 27th, them getting their own direct is a guarantee

Ah maybe it's the week after then. But yeah, definitely Pokemon stuff that week and not tomorrow

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

You don't need to apologize for this one. Nobody wants any of that

KH3 is good now :(

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

wuggles posted:

Did they cut out the middle third then?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Did they cut out the middle third then?

no the pacing and writing are still rear end but now it's got critical mode, superbosses, and an extra episode that at least tries to explain what the gently caress happened during the ending

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I wonder if Nintendo will ever release a classic look version of Wind Waker again; I really dislike the way the HD version looks.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

The question didn’t say anything about functionality

Sorry for not being clearer then, I thought "couldn't possibly be made into toys" covered that

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

wuggles posted:

wuggles posted:

no the pacing and writing are still rear end

:thunk:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

wuggles posted:

no the pacing and writing are still rear end but now it's got critical mode, superbosses, and an extra episode that at least tries to explain what the gently caress happened during the ending

I don't think this is the defense you want it to be

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Convex posted:

I wonder if Nintendo will ever release a classic look version of Wind Waker again; I really dislike the way the HD version looks.

I didn't mind the HD version but I know what you mean. In the original every character looked a painting in each frame, whereas the remaster has very distinct 3D models without much detail.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

If we’re going down this route then this is pretty damming to a lot of games in general tbh, let alone Kingdom Hearts of all franchises.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

stev posted:

I didn't mind the HD version but I know what you mean. In the original every character looked a painting in each frame, whereas the remaster has very distinct 3D models without much detail.

I guess it's fortunate that Dolphin exists to emulate the GC version in HD, but it's a shame that there's no toggle or anything in the official rerelease.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Black Stones posted:

The question didn’t say anything about functionality and Cowboy Bebop is a big example of “was told to make a show to sell toys, and made a show where they thought they could in no way sell toys”
The question sure did say something about functionality:

FirstAidKite posted:

ones that couldn't possibly be made into toys

I was at the Cowboy Bebop panel at Japan expo in Paris and they were very clear that "was told to make a show to sell toys, and made a show where they thought they could in no way sell toys" is absolutely not what the Cowboy bebop team went for, they went with it genuinely thinking they were doing it right, but then Bandai's toy division thought it unsellable. they never had any intent to make it unsellable (and for that matter it was very sellable indeed), that was just Bandai disagreeing.

The one FirstAidKite is searching for must be something more in line with Getter Robo, with a nonsensical mechanical design (but is not Getter Robo because that one was just made before they figured out show accurate toys were important). Of course the irony is that working Getter Robo toys were eventually made anyway (as were some other weird ones like the great galactic Gurren Lagann, although in both cases you can see they had trouble fitting everything in). In fact there's probably a decent chance such an anime would have eventually had a Studio Halfeye model, since they specialize in such weird projects.

Chev fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 16, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can't think of many other games where you can freely walk up/on walls. Pretty cool.

The PS1 Ghost in the Shell game

Also it's a PS1 game with native widescreen support (though this also results in a much higher fov)

(Reasonably fun but I gave up at the second boss)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Chev posted:

The one FirstAidKite is searching for must be something more in line with Getter Robo, with a nonsensical mechanical design
What exactly do you mean by nonsensical there? I googled for some images and I'm not sure what the problem with it would be. Well, jointing the legs so that they actually have a decent range of motion might be a bit difficult, I guess.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I don't think this is the defense you want it to be

playing Kingdom Hearts games is speedrunning all the lame poo poo in order to get the last third of the game where an old guy is talking about time travel and you have a bunch of cool powers

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cardiovorax posted:

What exactly do you mean by nonsensical there? I googled for some images and I'm not sure what the problem with it would be. Well, jointing the legs so that they actually have a decent range of motion might be a bit difficult, I guess.

The original Getter Robo design is the idea of three ships that combine to form three vastly different robots. Just making the three ships combine into one of them needs significant compromises. Making a set of three ships that can do all the permutations is lunacy. This is a characteristic shared by all Getter shows and manga except Getter Robo Go (which was deliberately designed to be toy-compatible).

Like, you can see they're all meant to have the same component ships but also that you just can't fit all those limbs and pieces. Like, the slim legs of the leftmost robot are supposed to be a form of the same ship that makes up the torso and head of the middle one. The white and red legs of the middle robot are supposed to be the small yellow rockets on the sides of the yellow ship.

After a while the anime adaptations just fully leaned into it by animating the transformations as crazy liquid metal-style dances:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erc_qlppQaA

Studio Halfeye eventually released a landmark model that achieved it all but it required significant compromise in the ship and mecha designs and a transformation that looks more like origami folding. That eventually inspired some more toyetic versions.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

wuggles posted:

playing Kingdom Hearts games is speedrunning all the lame poo poo in order to get the last third of the game where an old guy is talking about time travel and you have a bunch of cool powers

You can just watch that poo poo on Youtube and not play the bad game. You've somehow convinced yourself that wanting to skip large portions of the game means that it's good and that's absurd.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Disney stuff is the worst part of Kingdom Hearts. If I could skip it all the games would be somewhat tolerable

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

hatty posted:

The Disney stuff is the worst part of Kingdom Hearts. If I could skip it all the games would be somewhat tolerable

The Disney stuff is why it even exists in the first place.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They could at least make it interesting then instead of just doing the movie scenes with Sora in the background

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Chev posted:

The original Getter Robo design is the idea of three ships that combine to form three vastly different robots. Just making the three ships combine into one of them needs significant compromises. Making a set of three ships that can do all the permutations is lunacy. This is a characteristic shared by all Getter shows and manga except Getter Robo Go (which was deliberately designed to be toy-compatible).

Like, you can see they're all meant to have the same component ships but also that you just can't fit all those limbs and pieces. Like, the slim legs of the leftmost robot are supposed to be a form of the same ship that makes up the torso and head of the middle one. The white and red legs of the middle robot are supposed to be the small yellow rockets on the sides of the yellow ship.
Ah, alright then. I was thinking about it in terms of individual models, but yeah, I can see how that would be a significant problem if you wanted to actually produce a toy like that. The proportions just don't match up at all.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lol if you think Disney will ever let anyone do anything with their IPs that risks costing them a consumer

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

hatty posted:

They could at least make it interesting then instead of just doing the movie scenes with Sora in the background

Yeah it would be for sure, but:

Rarity posted:

Lol if you think Disney will ever let anyone do anything with their IPs that risks costing them a consumer

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cardiovorax posted:

Ah, alright then. I was thinking about it in terms of individual models, but yeah, I can see how that would be a significant problem if you wanted to actually produce a toy like that. The proportions just don't match up at all.

They encountered a lot of problems like this in the live-action Transformers movies. Optimus Prime had to be given a hood in truck mode just to add extra volume to work with. And Starscream is basically a square in robot mode because jet fighters are loving enormous compared to cars and trucks (the F-22 he transforms into is about 60 feet long)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rarity posted:

lmao if everything disney's done in the last ten years severral decades has somehow left you still being a disney consumer

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Khanstant posted:

lmao if everything disney's done in the last ten years has somehow left you still being a disney consumer

they in fact have more than ever, i'm sure

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

wuggles posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1361676737730519042?s=20

FIFTY FUCKIN MINUTES

predictions

You've heard of Elf on a Shelf? Get ready for Crash in Smash
No Pokemon; that direct is next week
At least Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 Remix (KH3 is just Particle Effects: The Game, sorry Switch owners)
Zelda ports/remasters/whatever releasing "first half of 2021"
Ten minutes of BotW2 with a winter date

As always have zero expectations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

and many, many weirdo Disney Adults who cry and whine that they can't leave their kids with their in-laws and go to Disney World/Land

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
nvm im fucknig cold hungry and angry

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Khanstant posted:

lmao if everything disney's done in the last ten years severral decades has somehow left you still being a disney consumer

At this point it's basically impossible to engage with mainstream pop culture without being a disney consumer

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

It's scheduled for release in the first half of this year.... in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

haveblue posted:

They encountered a lot of problems like this in the live-action Transformers movies. Optimus Prime had to be given a hood in truck mode just to add extra volume to work with.
Looked that up and oh my God it looks hilarious. Like someone tried to glue the front half of a classic Rolls Royce to an eighteen-wheeler.