Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I concur on the SEO-abuse and maker sites making this tough.

This datasheet provides an overview, and is the most direct answer to your question. See section 5.1.2: GPIO Alternate Functions for the explanation of what each pin can do. The pins are multiplexed, so each can act as a GPIO pin, or you can invoke alternate modes - for example hardware communication protocols like SPI and I2C, or hardware PWM.

This reference manual provides details on the diff peripherals avail on the Pi.

Post specific questions here. I recommend you think of a project that is genuinely interesting to you, and learn what's required to make it happen.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Also, keep in mind that the gpio voltage for the pi is 3.3 volts and there are a few 5v pins on the gpio header. So make sure to check your connections twice.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Btw: MitX has some nice courses on electrical engineering and building circuits. (That used to be free, and may or may not still be) THT component like resistors, capacitors etc are available on Amazon. Buy a box of each comp type you're interested in.

Also, you're not a non-solderer. Don't let mental blocks limit you.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Dominoes posted:

Post specific questions here. I recommend you think of a project that is genuinely interesting to you, and learn what's required to make it happen.

Awesome, thanks for the links. I want to start with a little irrigation system. I’ve got a hardware store nearby but they don’t have electronics. I think I need a “solenoid valve” and a “flow meter,” but I could see the system growing to multiple independent valves over time. There are a ton of guides online for that but I also have a few other ideas and so I am looking for examples of Pis being used for multiple sensors serving multiple purposes.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I've used flow meters avail on Amazon that return a PWM signal with frequency proportional to flow rate. I bet you can find a valve there too.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the transmission daemon will write its config file when it exits. this means that if you change the password (or auth settings) in the conf file while the daemon is running, your changes will be overwritten when you hup the daemon.

it's dumb, but turn it off, make your changes, then turn it on

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Achmed Jones posted:

the transmission daemon will write its config file when it exits. this means that if you change the password (or auth settings) in the conf file while the daemon is running, your changes will be overwritten when you hup the daemon.

it's dumb, but turn it off, make your changes, then turn it on

Have they ever given a reason for doing it this way? So many people run into this problem that when anyone asks a question about transmission not doing what they expected everyone assumes this is their problem, sometimes even when they explicitly specify they stopped it first, or their troubleshooting describes getting different results for different things meaning they have to be stopping it in between.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

crossposting from the audio question thread in IYG:

not sure if this is the best place to ask but maybe its the best place to ask to find out.....where to ask?

I want to get into hi-fi audio a bit deeper. I have AudioEngine A5s (the older model without bluetooth built in) and a Jamo 10" sub. it sounds pretty good as-is when using Spotify on my phone via a bluetooth adapter plugged into the A5s but a recent carplay install in my car has revealed just how much even Spotify is compressed by bluetooth.

I was considering getting a RaspberryPi with a good DAC - ideally one of the HAT/internal DACs, but USB/external if there is a clear winner in terms of sound quality. software would be Volumio unless there is something better.

I buy stuff I really like on Bandcamp so I have access to lots of uncompressed music to enjoy.

in terms of user experience I want it to be easy to control - ideally with volume control on the Pi rather than my speakers (which I have set be just a tad too loud when my phone is connected via BT and at full volume). presumably via IR remote or volumio? I havent really looked into the software side of it yet. headphone output/amp would be good too as I have some nice open-back headphones.

the RpI might also get used as a media center when my LG TV stops updating the plex and youtube apps in the (probably near) future.

leaning towards the hifiberry setup since I can buy it all in one go but Im comfortable shopping across vendors to get an ideal setup.

has anyone here done this? is there a better thread to ask this question?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Laserface posted:

in terms of user experience I want it to be easy to control - ideally with volume control on the Pi rather than my speakers (which I have set be just a tad too loud when my phone is connected via BT and at full volume). presumably via IR remote or volumio? I havent really looked into the software side of it yet.

Covering just the rpi software & UI for the moment:

I've used Volumio, and now moode audio. I liked Volumio well enough, but was annoyed by a couple things about it so switched to moode. Moode is a bit more nerdy though, and a bit less slick in the UI department. Both were very simple to set up.

They both run an internal web server, so the easy way to remote control them is via the web browser on your smartphone or a tablet. (If you don't have a smartphone I think something else might be a better idea.)

Laserface posted:

I want to get into hi-fi audio a bit deeper. I have AudioEngine A5s (the older model without bluetooth built in) and a Jamo 10" sub. it sounds pretty good as-is when using Spotify on my phone via a bluetooth adapter plugged into the A5s but a recent carplay install in my car has revealed just how much even Spotify is compressed by bluetooth.

Bluetooth is kinda weird and will have vastly different audio quality in different cases, because the compression rate & codec is negotiated between the devices and there are several options. When they negotiate a low-quality codec and bitrate, it sounds bad.

As an example, I have the sony 1000XM3 bluetooth headphones. When I connect them to my PC, I see 2 different options: Headphones (WH-1000XM3 Stereo) and Headset (WH-1000XM3 Hands-Free Audio). The headset version sounds pretty crap, because it's using a worse codec and keeping half the bandwidth for the mic audio.

Your car is probably connecting using settings more suited for phone calls because a hands-free phone is the main purpose of car bluetooth.

Back to the hardware:

Laserface posted:

I was considering getting a RaspberryPi with a good DAC - ideally one of the HAT/internal DACs, but USB/external if there is a clear winner in terms of sound quality.

headphone output/amp would be good too as I have some nice open-back headphones.

The hifiberry DAC is good quality output, but they don't have headphone amps built in. There's this interesting thing that's a DAC + headphone amp + screen, but that may need to use their software?

If the audioengines are your main use for the pi, I'd go with a plain DAC and look into a separate headphone amp. A headphone amp (even an inexpensive one) is one of the most frequently recommended things to get once you have a good pair of headphones.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Klyith posted:

Covering just the rpi software & UI for the moment:

I've used Volumio, and now moode audio. I liked Volumio well enough, but was annoyed by a couple things about it so switched to moode. Moode is a bit more nerdy though, and a bit less slick in the UI department. Both were very simple to set up.

They both run an internal web server, so the easy way to remote control them is via the web browser on your smartphone or a tablet. (If you don't have a smartphone I think something else might be a better idea.)

Bluetooth is kinda weird and will have vastly different audio quality in different cases, because the compression rate & codec is negotiated between the devices and there are several options. When they negotiate a low-quality codec and bitrate, it sounds bad.

As an example, I have the sony 1000XM3 bluetooth headphones. When I connect them to my PC, I see 2 different options: Headphones (WH-1000XM3 Stereo) and Headset (WH-1000XM3 Hands-Free Audio). The headset version sounds pretty crap, because it's using a worse codec and keeping half the bandwidth for the mic audio.

Your car is probably connecting using settings more suited for phone calls because a hands-free phone is the main purpose of car bluetooth.

Back to the hardware:

The hifiberry DAC is good quality output, but they don't have headphone amps built in. There's this interesting thing that's a DAC + headphone amp + screen, but that may need to use their software?

If the audioengines are your main use for the pi, I'd go with a plain DAC and look into a separate headphone amp. A headphone amp (even an inexpensive one) is one of the most frequently recommended things to get once you have a good pair of headphones.

thanks.

I get the bluetooth profile thing (have had music stream over voice profiles in the past after a glitch - gross) - BT in the car is what i used for a long time and it was totally 'sounds fine' but my new head unit is wireless carplay (so streaming over wifi as airplay instead of bluetooth) and the difference is night and day - less distortion, higher volume, more dynamic range. thats what kinda kicked this whole thing off - if it sounds better in a car of all places surely my home setup where I actually sit to enjoy music could be better? my old head unit and the new one are both Pioneer and neither were cheap models - mid to high end in the product line with all the DSP stuff built in.

looks like I might just go with the hifiberry setup and then try out different software to see what fits my preferences. I found someone comparing that setup to a Chute Qutest DAC that is 20x the price and said the hifiberry was every bit as good. my friend has a Chute DAC which I was impressed with, so seems like the easiest/least spendy way to get there.

I'll check out decent headphone amps too. my idea is that I can have the rPi sit in my TV cabinet hooked up to my A5s, or I can move it to the other side of the room next to the sofa where I can plug in my headphones.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've been super happy with the Pifi Digi+ hat I got a couple months back that's just a clone of the Hifiberry SPDIF hat. I was originally intending on using it as a Bluetooth bridge to my sound system but Moode works so well as a sink for stuff like Spotify and local music files that I only ever use BT for phone games.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Laserface posted:

looks like I might just go with the hifiberry setup and then try out different software to see what fits my preferences. I found someone comparing that setup to a Chute Qutest DAC that is 20x the price and said the hifiberry was every bit as good.

It's like, a DAC is pretty much solved tech these days. As long as it's an actual IC chip, and not something like the PWM garbage on the actual Pi's analog output, and has enough isolation from anything that produces noise, it's pretty much gonna be fine. In practice there's no audible difference between a $20 Pi hat DAC and a $2000 DAC while playing real music.

There are measurable differences between the $20 DAC and the $2000 DAC. It's poo poo like "the good one has harmonic distortion 20dB above the noise floor, the cheap one has distortion 30dB above noise floor". If you have output loud enough to hear anything 30dB above the noise floor, you're not gonna have hearing very much longer.

(But I am very much not an audiophile.)

Coxswain Balls posted:

I've been super happy with the Pifi Digi+ hat I got a couple months back that's just a clone of the Hifiberry SPDIF hat.

Note that digital output is even easier than analog output.

If I'd gone for analog output, I would have bought an actual hifiberry hat rather than the chinese clone. (The "pifi" DAC hats also aren't a 1:1 copy of the hifiberry like the digital output one is.)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 17, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Klyith posted:

It's like, a DAC is pretty much solved tech these days. As long as it's an actual IC chip, and not something like the PWM garbage on the actual Pi's analog output, and has enough isolation from anything that produces noise, it's pretty much gonna be fine. In practice there's no audible difference between a $20 Pi hat DAC and a $2000 DAC while playing real music.

There are measurable differences between the $20 DAC and the $2000 DAC. It's poo poo like "the good one has harmonic distortion 20dB above the noise floor, the cheap one has distortion 30dB above noise floor". If you have output loud enough to hear anything 30dB above the noise floor, you're not gonna have hearing very much longer.

(But I am very much not an audiophile.)

Also consider the use and the amount of wires / power you want. DACs are fairly easy, amps take more parts to build. Sometimes you just get the DAC essentially free with the amp. Sometimes the RPi can't supply the power.

Then there's things like anti-pop and driver support. Latter of which probably isn't much of a problem with Pi. Usually. Worth checking.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 17, 2021

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I use a pi with a hifiberry digi dac running mpd with my tunes on an external SSD into the pi’s USB3 port. I just mount it as a smb on my MacBook to upload new music onto it, and all control (including volume) is through Rigelian, which is the nicest mpd controller I’ve found for iOS.

Not using a music-led distro also allows me to run a transmission daemon and a Plex server on the Pi, which was my primary motivation for using mpd. It’s also extremely lightweight.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thank you for all the advice/info.

I went with a HiFiBerry DAC2 HD kit (uses a 4B) w/2GB) from their website as their local distributors in australia didnt have any stock. 5 week wait apparently, so thats fun.

if this works well I will probably end up building another one using an 8GB rPi v4 and dumping some of my server stuff (plex/sonarr/radarr) on to that.

I also want to get a Zero now and set that up as a pihole or an airplay target or maybe just to tinker with and see what I can do with them.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Dumb question I’m sure but, my pc finally bit the dust and I’m thinking of replacing it with a pi 400, mostly due to my affection for the all-in-keyboard 8-bit computers of the 80s. Being as how I used my pc for web browsing/some YouTube videos, would I realistically be just fine with this?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

haunted bong posted:

Dumb question I’m sure but, my pc finally bit the dust and I’m thinking of replacing it with a pi 400, mostly due to my affection for the all-in-keyboard 8-bit computers of the 80s. Being as how I used my pc for web browsing/some YouTube videos, would I realistically be just fine with this?

Depends on how slow you can handle your browsing.

I'd also recommend a cheap garbage laptop to do backups/restores for the Pi.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

haunted bong posted:

Not really. The reviews of this thing are mostly highlighting that it can be a general-purpose PC, not that it's good at it. Like, browsing SA would be fine but a lot of interactive websites are gonna suck. Youtube it can play video, but one review noted that switching from browser to fullscreen video took 3-4 seconds.

Honestly, it's still a nerd toy. Just a different sort of toy than a regular pi.

If you have between $150 and $250, you can get a refurb mini pc that's far more capable. Or look at chromeboxes if you want something not-windows and not refurb.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

From personal experience, it's not there yet. It'll do web browsing if you're ok for pages taking a few seconds to load, but it can't do HD youtube, even with the updates.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
My pi desktop works fine except jumping around while streaming video too quickly will cause you to have to reload the page.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Klyith posted:

Not really. The reviews of this thing are mostly highlighting that it can be a general-purpose PC, not that it's good at it. Like, browsing SA would be fine but a lot of interactive websites are gonna suck. Youtube it can play video, but one review noted that switching from browser to fullscreen video took 3-4 seconds.

Honestly, it's still a nerd toy. Just a different sort of toy than a regular pi.

If you have between $150 and $250, you can get a refurb mini pc that's far more capable. Or look at chromeboxes if you want something not-windows and not refurb.

I'd second a refurb mini pc with an x86 for general computing. I've got an HP elitedesk mini I paid 200 bucks for that I use for various tasks and it's basically just like a desktop for general computing. I've also set up clients with another one of those, an Intel NUC refurb, and a Zotac ZBox over the last couple of years, mostly to attach to 50" or bigger tvs on the wall they want to do video conferencing or training or presentations with. They've all been solid choices in the $200 range.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

haunted bong posted:

Don't do it. Modern programs and webapps are greedy about resources. Responsiveness makes a big (and underrated) impact on user experience.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Watch some Youtube reviews of how the Pi performs with streaming video. It's not great.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Or get used to using youtube-dl a bunch

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
How challenging would it be to put this on an arm image of Kali and get it working? I’ve previously used pitop OS and then installed the tools I need but it’d be to rad if I could just install this on Kali and use all the same scripts.

https://github.com/pi-top/pi-top-Python-SDK

I don’t know enough to know if it’s even possible, but this seems to be enough that it would function inside the pi-top hardware.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

How challenging would it be to put this on an arm image of Kali and get it working? I’ve previously used pitop OS and then installed the tools I need but it’d be to rad if I could just install this on Kali and use all the same scripts.

https://github.com/pi-top/pi-top-Python-SDK

I don’t know enough to know if it’s even possible, but this seems to be enough that it would function inside the pi-top hardware.

Should just work, it's completely Python, and their installation docs even mention some unnamed generic "Raspberry Pi OS"

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ante posted:

Should just work, it's completely Python, and their installation docs even mention some unnamed generic "Raspberry Pi OS"

Makes sense. It’ll be a fun project, actually uncharted territory.

E: Main reason why I'm even bothering is that I don't want to burn out the fan since the way I wired it the controller is built into the OS rather the firmware or wherever, and I've heard that installing non-pitop OSes can cause the fan to burn out over time. It looks like I can just install this on any debian system though:
https://knowledgebase.pi-top.com/knowledge/controlling-the-pi-top-4-fan

E: I’m dumb, there’s other driver issues that become a problem because the pitop case had an off switch.

It’s easier just to grab another pi, google to make sure I buy the right kind of 5V usb-c and battery and just use both

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 20, 2021

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

haunted bong posted:

Get a used SFF from Dell/HP/Lenovo or an intel NUC or something along those lines. They can often be had for not much (<$250), and if you get one that's new enough to have pcie nvme ssd, they're really snappy :v:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Anything with an i5 and an SSD will feel *blazingly* fast compared to any Pi.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
One of the best ways to get cheap computers is to ask an IT dude that works for a small/medium company if you can take an old computer that was going to be e wasted and just let you do a total overwrite to the drive and take it home. I know at least a Linux mint install will let you do a true wipe of a disk during the installation process after you boot it live, though I’m sure there’s an even easier way.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

ante posted:

I'm fairly sure "Raspberry Pi OS" is just the new name for raspbian. https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It is yes

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Got a Pi400 because I want to do some GPIO stuff with my daughter. Been getting into Scratch (haven't tested it out, but it looks like scratch 3 has brought over the better data structures from Snap...doesn't have the sound features though). Seems like it would make a fine office PC, and I'm thinking of using it instead of my old (very) SFF i7 for the kids' cartoons (even lower power, even faster startup) .

But I was surprised to see that it isn't fast enough to run Teach Your Monster to Read smoothly (it does work, though). Is there some way to disable antialiasing or something to speed this poo poo up? (I miss that about Flash.)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Seems like it would make a fine office PC.

Incorrect assumption. Even with a light OS like raspian, modern software, including office programs and web apps, are greedy with resources.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah I use an Ubuntu vm with the GUI and everything for some work stuff, and it’s not out of the ordinary for the entire OS to use fewer resources than Teams. Modern desktop applications are ridiculous and presume a really insane amount of computer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Microsoft have a bad run of video apps tbh. Teams is bad but Skype is maybe the worst video call app I’ve ever used. If I run it on my MacBook it makes the fans go to 100% every single time. I have no idea what sort of garbage video codec it’s using but it’s a stinker.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It’s amazing to me how unstable word is for a supposedly professional software package. loving kenshi with a bunch of random lovely mods runs more reliably.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have a 5800X and 32GB of RAM and MS Word is stuttery and slow as hell. I don't know how Microsoft is so bad at this. Every other program is snappy and responsive, but sometimes Word just takes a second to recognize that I've typed something and then it all shows up at once. Don't expect a pi to be good at much of anything that requires a GUI at a usable resolution.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It runs libreoffice and visual studio pretty fine for me on a high end computer monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cojawfee posted:

I have a 5800X and 32GB of RAM and MS Word is stuttery and slow as hell. I don't know how Microsoft is so bad at this. Every other program is snappy and responsive, but sometimes Word just takes a second to recognize that I've typed something and then it all shows up at once. Don't expect a pi to be good at much of anything that requires a GUI at a usable resolution.

Way back when windows 8 was being developed, MS was talking about finally killing the win32 API. The office team unilaterally killed that. They represent a big enough revenue stream that they can just...not fix their poo poo.