Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

The Vinja Ninja posted:

I’m from Nome AK and they built a port there years ago because they knew this was already happening. Be prepared is what the native corp did and I am glad they planned ahead but, what if like, global warming covered that entire port with water by the time it happened. Didn’t plan that far ahead.

if that northern passage opens up nome might even get a sweet military base!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

err posted:

Read the first chapter of Ministry for the Future to see what will happen in India.

the images are haunting in that chapter

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

hows it compared to the years of rice and salt/the mars trilogy?

it has less of a story than either one of those but it's far more immediate since it's talking about the extreme near term

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

TACD posted:

it’s really impressive how they keep finding new and untapped sources of reasons our worst-case predictions are not nearly bad enough

So what I am hearing here is that things aren't that bad yet!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Things are better than they'll ever be right now! as I tap this message out in an unheated and unlit apartment by candlelight in a failed state

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Lostconfused posted:

things are ok. worse than last year, but better than next

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

gay_crimes posted:

Things are better than they'll ever be right now! as I tap this message out in an unheated and unlit apartment by candlelight in a failed state

holy moly. do you have a fireplace? If you do I recommend gathering firewood, if you can. I always have some now

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
Is it possible that climate change will actually be the common enemy that will finally unite us as a people

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Sjs00 posted:

holy moly. do you have a fireplace? If you do I recommend gathering firewood, if you can. I always have some now

I have a tent and a sleeping bag :texas:

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

cardiacarrest123 posted:

Is it possible that climate change will actually be the common enemy that will finally unite us as a people

no. it’s desert countries fault for not having enough trees

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

cardiacarrest123 posted:

yes except the complete opposite of that

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

cardiacarrest123 posted:

Sure. We'll all go "well I'm not doing anything before that guy over there has done their part", in one united voice across the globe.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

gay_crimes posted:

What a normal country

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1361695350646583296?s=20

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
death is the ultimate unity really so yeah climate change will bring about total unity

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

this happens with gas ovens in the winter too :(

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Wakko posted:

How icebergs really melt—and what this could mean for climate change

we know so very little about how climate systems interact but these findings are reassuring at least

nobody thought to do a real test of ice melting? lmfao

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

cardiacarrest123 posted:

This isn’t Watchmen.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Homeless Friend posted:

the checks from fossil fuel companies bounced

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its incredible to think that the UN just accepted a icecube being exposed to x amount of heat, collected the data from that volume then scaled it up to an iceberg.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Homeless Friend posted:

its incredible to think that the UN just accepted a icecube being exposed to x amount of heat, collected the data from that volume then scaled it up to an iceberg.

you would be stunned by how lax most people are with the stats they produce

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Wakko posted:

How icebergs really melt—and what this could mean for climate change

we know so very little about how climate systems interact but these findings are reassuring at least

quote:

Dr. Vasil said that these methods can be applied to many other systems, including glaciers melting or the melting of frozen, saline sea ice.

"But it doesn't end there. His methods could also be used by astrobiologists to better understand ice moons like Saturn's Enceladus, a candidate for finding life elsewhere in the Solar System."

i mean, why not spend your last days trying to model an already dead world

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
i harvested clams from my local beach and ate them today, it was nice

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/MayraABC13/status/1361794128070123525?s=20

At least 20 people have been found dead already

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Couldn't they just put them outside?

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Mayor Dave posted:

"mod humor"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mayor Dave posted:

Houston's going to be 73F and 75% humidity next week

Climate change, baby!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

stellers bae posted:

i harvested clams from my local beach and ate them today, it was nice

Stop eating the sea!!

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Sing Along posted:

you would be stunned by how lax most people are with the stats they produce

there is a very good reason why it’s not possible to duplicate most scientific studies.

the replication crisis is interesting to say the least because of the implications it has on the human understanding of literally everything

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Homeless Friend posted:

quote:

"The old models assumed that stationary icebergs didn't melt at all, whereas our experiments show melting of about a millimetre every minute," Mr Hester said.
:thunk:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I released a peer reviewed scientific study that stated my dick is the biggest one in the universe, accounting for all possible biological permutations that could potentially create big dick aliens.

quote:

"The old models assumed that my dick is as big as I think it is, whereas our experiments show it's even bigger" Mr Rectal Death Adept said.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 15:14 on Feb 17, 2021

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I am staggered, but unsurprised, that up until this paper, it was assumed that icebergs wouldn't melt.

Even the most dreadful theories about our climate change future are going to seem minor compared to the reality we will face, especially if the organizations responsible for doing something about climate change are only now grasping that ice melts even if it doesn't move.

Icebergs don't melt when at rest, what kind of hosed up climate modeling is that?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I'm thinking about all those economics papers looking at the potential impact of climate change but only ever considering climate change to mean a bit of difference in the weather.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

really weird how the field of economics never seems to produce anything beneficial to society

the opposite, in fact.

a true mystery

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DesertIslandHermit posted:

This isn’t Watchmen.

mdemone posted:

Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain the clathrate gun if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I fired it thirty-five years ago.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lmao here it is in the paper. If U is zero (iceberg at rest) the melt rate resolves to zero as well.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

we are so loving dumb

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

we are so loving dumb

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

bedpan posted:

lmao here it is in the paper. If U is zero (iceberg at rest) the melt rate resolves to zero as well.

that's if the iceberg is at rest relative to the water it is in. practically speaking, that is impossible. it's a simplistic model, but it's not terrible. it diminishes the effect of diffusion when the iceberg is in slow moving water, expecting all the heat to be actively carried by the water, which is inaccurate. this would make the melt-rate drop to zero in low-speed currents as the cold meltwater surrounded the iceberg and formed an insulating layer. or, rather, it would if the saltwater/freshwater mixing was uniform around the iceberg, but mixing should be dependent on the geometry and orientation of the area that is melting.

it's still pretty loving terrible that this has been the primary model for iceberg melt rates for the last 40 years, though. that poo poo should have been updated a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

there is a very good reason why it’s not possible to duplicate most scientific studies.

the replication crisis is interesting to say the least because of the implications it has on the human understanding of literally everything

Lurker here, but I'm curious enough to ask what you think the full implications of the replication crisis are? I had thought that the replication crisis was limited to the social and medical sciences, but here you're implying that it's grounds for a broader skepticism of scientific claims.