Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i will tell you that the #1 thing 10 year old kids think is hilarious is using the browser inspector to replace markiplier youtube titles with "markiplier sniffs a butt" and I think i got two kids into programming with that trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

my 1 year old babby absolutely loves rugrats

my 3 year old hates it "does not like it, a lot-ly"

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 13, 2021

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

rugrats was a trip and those twins were and are creepy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
turn your dual monitors on

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

President Beep posted:

a fuckin' double kill

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

President Beep posted:

:batuka:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

President Beep posted:

classic

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

my sister in law miscarried like 3 times, it was incredibly hard on them both, I am honestly shocked it didn't end their marriage.

we had 8 pregnancies and 2 babies because of
miscarriage. we always wanted 3 kids but after the last miscarry my wife was well and truly done so I went and got the snip

miscarriages SUCK but they are also very common, and while obviously heartbreaking and disappointing don’t try to see them as some kind of failing. my wife beats herself up about it constantly and i feel for her. i’m always trying to console her by telling her that poo poo happens beyond our control and she shouldn’t feel responsible for it. it’s just one of those (lovely) things

git apologist fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 15, 2021

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

my stepdads beer posted:

is anyone thinking of 'apprenticing' their kids into touching computer

im not having kids but my father did that to me and now i live a very comfortable life thanks to him

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Gentle Autist posted:

we had 8 pregnancies and 2 babies because of
miscarriage. we always wanted 3 kids but after the last miscarry my wife was well and truly done so I went and got the snip

miscarriages SUCK but they are also very common, and while obviously heartbreaking and disappointing don’t try to see them as some kind of failing. my wife beats herself up about it constantly and i feel for her. i’m always trying to console her by telling her that poo poo happens beyond our control and she shouldn’t feel responsible for it. it’s just one of this (lovely) things

So we went through this last week unfortunately.

It was a pre 12 week one so a bit easier to handle, the way me and my wife described it to ourselves was a seed that just didn't grow.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

It was a pre 12 week one so a bit easier to handle, the way me and my wife described it to ourselves was a seed that just didn't grow.
That blows, sorry friendo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

no implantation this month so we're gonna go eat the poo poo out of some lox to commiserate

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

im not having kids but my father did that to me and now i live a very comfortable life thanks to him

that's cool, how did he do it

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

no implantation this month so we're gonna go eat the poo poo out of some lox to commiserate

idk what lox is but same here

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

protip: if your lox has poo poo in it, you should consider throwing it away instead

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

my stepdads beer posted:

idk what lox is but same here

cured/cold-smoked salmon. very delicious, A+

If it's only cured you should prob avoid it while pregnant/trying. Smoked go nuts.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i thought it was gender non-specific lol

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

my stepdads beer posted:

that's cool, how did he do it

“you’re gonna want to learn this poo poo because its gonna make you wealthy in 20 years. here’s a c64 and a book on BASIC”

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
im torn because i also want my child to be comfortable but honestly ive only been screen-staring professionally <10 years and i already want to quit and go do something outside

im going to try my best to give the most options i can to my kid and if computer touching is what they want then ill help them out.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
man, i don't want to come out of this without having taught my kids at least the rudiments of everything i know that has some potential value. i'll teach them to roll joints eventually.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

as my friends start having kids ive been increasingly appreciating how certain things in my life would straight up not be happening with kids around

quiet glass of scotch with partner at 6pm? nope
decide to take day off, sleep till 11? lol
sunset run in the forest? no you're supposed to pick up jimmy from soccer!!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean if you're having kids with the expectation that its easy and will make your life cushier then yeah no that is a flawed expectation

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i think it is perfectly valid to appreciate the freedoms of not having kids, while appreciating that some people having kids is both necessary and hard weighty work.

we can all lol at the kind of people who have no kids and have still managed to make their life equally hectic and constrained by unnecessarily investing heavily in a supposed career.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

as my friends start having kids ive been increasingly appreciating how certain things in my life would straight up not be happening with kids around

There's some truth to that for sure, also there are benefits though.

A heart can hold as much love as you allow. My kid means everything to me, and I'm OK with putting aside my own desires for him to grow up happy.

There are no words that describe how I felt when he took his first steps, when he fed himself for the first time, when he said his first word. If he comes running over in a great mood, it brightens my day every time.

You can also re-live a whole swath of things. Sledding down a hill, playing on a playground, mud puddles, fruit snacks, naptime. I get to see babyman explore them, and I can be a part of it.

Also my parents and sister are my friends for life. More than friends - blood is thicker than water. I want that, and I want more of it. When I'm old and gray, I want to have grandkids in my life. Family can help ensure that you won't die old and alone.

Parenting is a shitload of work, and I'm still only at the beginning of the journey. But so far it's been worth it for me 100%

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 16, 2021

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
computer thing good

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

drink scotch after the kids' bedtime

take turns with your partner for getting up the kids on your days off. also that's what having the grandparents stay over is for

go run during naptime instead. or have your partner cover for you if that's your job, if childcare-related errands require both parents to accomplish simultaneously, you're probably loving up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
mostly what you can't really do as a parent anymore is play video games that require large blocks of undivided attention or have a multiplayer component

or like go out with your partner to the movies or barhopping or to parties or whatever

but really you'll be too tired to do any of that stuff anyway lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Well the good news for me is I can't do any of that stuff right now anyway because of covid, but I 100% can drink once everyone else is in bed and I will eventually finish Cyberpunk (I've actually been at the end for like a month but just pissing around "solving" crimes)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

yeah it loving sucks. i'm nine years into this poo poo and i'm ready to have my life back.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

mostly what you can't really do as a parent anymore is drugs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also, parenting toddlers is very different from 9+

my son asked me who pablo escobar is lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

once kids pass about, idk, say like 7 or 8, its stops being like an unbelievable slog every day and slowly transitioned to being more like having roommates that don't do their laundry

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
my little one is about to turn 6 and i keep telling myself, just one more year, just one more year.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

mostly what you can't really do as a parent anymore is play video games that require large blocks of undivided attention or have a multiplayer component

or like go out with your partner to the movies or barhopping or to parties or whatever

these two things were basically my life before being a dad so you can say it's been an ... adjustment, lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

my little one is about to turn 6 and i keep telling myself, just one more year, just one more year.

at least until teenage years i reckon it just keeps getting better. conversations are more interesting, watching them get their own personalities and tastes. also more independence and can do more things for themselves. it’s good

the one universal recommendation is get your kids doing chores early. they won’t begrudge it so much if it’s just normal and sets them up for adult life. me? i’m loving useless

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

the one universal recommendation is get your kids doing chores early.

my wife fights me on this so hard and i will go to my grave never understanding it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
my 3 year old simply does not understand why she can't feed the dog whenever she wants, multiple times a day

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my 3 year old simply does not understand why she can't feed the dog whenever she wants, multiple times a day

it’s always time to feed the dog

also cats

they’d never lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

rotor posted:

my wife fights me on this so hard and i will go to my grave never understanding it

lol what a teamkill