Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

my wife fights me on this so hard and i will go to my grave never understanding it

what side are you on?

the reason I value it, is because I am the direct result of the opposite of it, and when I see people who did chores, I am jealous. people who aren't lazy pieces of poo poo who get poo poo done

me? a lazy piece of poo poo who only gets the minimum done. its simply quite difficult to change a person who likes being lazy into a person who gets poo poo done, and raising kids to be people that get poo poo done, you protect them from this curse

I spend half my life being lazy and the other half hating myself for never getting anything done. I hope for more for my kids tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

actually they are shitlords and nothing matters

have kids dont have kids idgaf just don't be a dick

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
if you don't teach your kids how to properly load a dishwasher or correctly operate a washing machine you are for sure loving up

good habits like this can only really be adopted via repetition, but my understanding is that doing so isn't exactly a labor-saving endeavor for the parents

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
teaching the kids to help with stuff is at least three times the work of doing it yourself, and once they learn how to do it they get bored with it and getting them up to do it is about twice the work of just doing it yourself.

it's still worth doing, but i definitely can't stick to having them do stuff all the time.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my wife is massively the product of never having done chores growing up

I've had to teach her how to do things like cook, hitch a trailer, check oil, clean an oven, mow a lawn etc

she is annoyed that she has to learn this poo poo too. but we still, after 15 years, still have moments where I can't believe she has never done some random life-thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if you don't teach your kids how to properly load a dishwasher or correctly operate a washing machine you are for sure loving up

good habits like this can only really be adopted via repetition, but my understanding is that doing so isn't exactly a labor-saving endeavor for the parents

its almost like tho what you're trying to teach them is the habit of doing things that aren't just what they feel like doing.

kids will naturally just thoughtlessly do what they want. you have to teach them, for example, to look around the room they are in, identify rubbish, and then pick it up and put it away.

the lesson isnt the rubbish. the lesson is getting them to simply stop, observe, and think about what might need to be done.

Stringent posted:

teaching the kids to help with stuff is at least three times the work of doing it yourself, and once they learn how to do it they get bored with it and getting them up to do it is about twice the work of just doing it yourself.

it's still worth doing, but i definitely can't stick to having them do stuff all the time.
its more work for sure but idk about the whole effort making them do it thing.

honestly I think theres a thing where kids copy what they see, for sure. and some parents talk to their kids in a respectful tone always (me), and sometimes parents talk to their kids in disrespectful ways (my gf), and you'll never guess which one of us has kids that dont talk back, and generally do what is asked of them.

Gentle Autist posted:

I've had to teach her how to do things like cook, hitch a trailer, check oil, clean an oven, mow a lawn etc

she is annoyed that she has to learn this poo poo too. but we still, after 15 years, still have moments where I can't believe she has never done some random life-thing

intersting. see I know how to do most things, and in an ironic turn of events, when I got married, my wife said "im not going to be your mother", so I had to learn how to cook and clean and other things that traditionalyl women would have done. of course, as attempts at correcting for sexism often go, my wife never had any problem leaving me to be the only one who knew how to do traditionally man things, so when we separated I left with the full toolkit of skills, whereas she didn't.

but that is still different from being raised with a kind of mentality that life requires effort. when it was the weekend my mum was like "just do whatever you want", and so the most important skill I never got was getting poo poo done. my gf on the other hand is a hard worker and even when she has time off she struggles to slow down. no side is perfect, but I would trade in my ability to relax for the skill to get anything done.

i hate my job so much.. so why the gently caress dont i spend any time looking for a new one? piece of poo poo thats why

I am mega in debt and have countless things around the house to sell so why dont I? piece of poo poo
I pay $400 a month in credit card interest and yet still havent transferred the debt to a no interest card with a different bank.. why? you guessed it I am human dogshit of a person.

my gf says "dont be so hard on yourself", but she cant see inside my brain to see why i am so deserved of self ridicule

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Gentle Autist posted:

i used to live with a couple friends in a duplex shotgun house that didn't have laundry, so everyone in our household had to hit up a nearby laundromat

as the only person with an office job, i had a different schedule than the other two who were waitresses

one weekend we were all off and went and all did our laundry together, and i learned how these two women, one of which i'd known since highschool, had never actually learned how to use laundry detergent or like really do laundry in general. they'd just been winging it

all dumping an entire, up to the rim, capful of detergent into the machine after indiscriminately cramming as many clothes and towels into the thing as it would fit

when we got back i ended up winning a bet because i was able to make a pair of jeans washed in this way suds up by running it under the sink and rubbing at it lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Not at first, but even just the knowledge that declaring you're bored means you're gonna get voluntold is a gift in itself.

People in general way underestimate what their kids are capable of once familiar with a task. As much as I spoil our kids rotten there's no escaping labor in this house. I'll sit with them for as long as it takes, but BY GAWD YOU GON' LEARN.

Stringent posted:

I think that's a bit overstated (and the overhead really depends on the task).

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 17, 2021

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

the one universal recommendation is get your kids doing chores early. they won’t begrudge it so much if it’s just normal and sets them up for adult life. me? i’m loving useless

This!!! i'm so bad at doing anything until I go manic about at and then clean like one specific cupboard its such a pain now that chores are constantly needing doing. my child otoh loves cleaning (probably because we're always cleaning and he likes to join in)

wife and i are also agreed that we will give our kid an allowance ( i never had one) but not pay them to do jobs around teh house because thats just something u need to do to when you live in the house

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

echinopsis posted:

what side are you on?

obviously i am pro-chores

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
what's her reasoning for being against chores?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Stringent posted:

what's her reasoning for being against chores?

that she didnt have them when she was a kid

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s mega self ownage

it’s meant to go like this

first gen : has to do loads of chores as kids. hated it so wants to save child from chores so does chores for child

next gen : doesn’t do chores as kid, but works out this was bad, so makes kids do loads of chores so they don’t end up the same

rinse repeat

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

rotor posted:

that she didnt have them when she was a kid

that's interesting because my wife is anti-chores for kids and she did have them when she was a kid. her argument is that it's stifling and kids should have some time without the drudgery of laundry and washing dishes, although i can tell she's starting to think the oldest one has more or less grown out of that stage. maybe once he turns 10 we'll start getting some work out of him.

efb, echi nailed it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

that’s mega self ownage

it’s meant to go like this

first gen : has to do loads of chores as kids. hated it so wants to save child from chores so does chores for child

next gen : doesn’t do chores as kid, but works out this was bad, so makes kids do loads of chores so they don’t end up the same

rinse repeat

hoping to shoot for the middle ground of "just ebnough chores"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my response is just make them do poo poo that needs doing instead of saying "doing the dishes is your job from now on" i just tell the boy to do the dishes

for reasons i dont fully understand this is fine, but assigning them ongoing work is no good

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

bobbilljim posted:

hoping to shoot for the middle ground of "just ebnough chores"

i'm shooting for a middle ground of if my wife or i is doing a chore and there's an unoccupied child around, said child gets roped into helping with the chore.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
another widely employed approach.. do the job yourself, but making it absolutely clear to the child that they’re ungrateful shits and that you already work two jobs and have to clean up after them, and that it’s a massive burden etc etc

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i think teh concept there is valid but the way u described it makes me think it sucks

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

“you’re gonna want to learn this poo poo because its gonna make you wealthy in 20 years. here’s a c64 and a book on BASIC”

weird, after posting this, 2 days after i came across this article and it was about the book. couldn't remember the name of it, but i recognized that cover immediately:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i did chores as a kid and im still lazy as poo poo

i had to pick 1000 eggs and mow the 1 acre lawn with a push mower, the amount of chores my kid would have to do seems trivial now that that i'm fully urban

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
same. mowed a big rear end yard and split lots of wood.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I mean if you want to have the kids learn things AND not do the work of teaching them you can just be a human who can't take care of themselves to the degree that the kids go through parental inversion and start taking care of you. They'll learn a lot!

ask me how I know

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
My daughter regularly tells me and the wife to take a deep breath. Every now and then she's right, I've lost my chill, so I make a big show of being respectful and thankful and controlling my temper, taking a deep breath while in my head the words ring "drat I just got owned by a 3 year old"

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
My first "getting taken to task by your kids" story was when we were forcing coats on my daughter to go outside in some brisk new england autumn weather, and she went from "I don't want to" to "let's try it without a coat".

gently caress you little girl, you're absolutely mature enough at three years old to experience the consequences of 55-60 degree weather for 5 minutes, that doesn't mean I'm ok with you haggling me down to a reasonable position over putting your coat on to go get the mail.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Perplx posted:

i did chores as a kid and im still lazy as poo poo

i had to pick 1000 eggs and mow the 1 acre lawn with a push mower, the amount of chores my kid would have to do seems trivial now that that i'm fully urban

it’s not strictly the chores and also everyone learns a bit different

the problem is allowing the kids to not be concerned at all with what needs to happen. i mean even if they only had to direct a maid to do things, at least they’d get an idea what what needs to be done. similarly having to do the things with no idea for why

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

TimWinter posted:

My first "getting taken to task by your kids" story was when we were forcing coats on my daughter to go outside in some brisk new england autumn weather, and she went from "I don't want to" to "let's try it without a coat".

gently caress you little girl, you're absolutely mature enough at three years old to experience the consequences of 55-60 degree weather for 5 minutes, that doesn't mean I'm ok with you haggling me down to a reasonable position over putting your coat on to go get the mail.

my 3 year old has started matter-of-factly telling us that she doesn't need to do certain things, like wiping or washing her hands

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
troubling goonsign...

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol she’s embracing the hygiene hypothesis

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
looking forward to feeling old and useless as my kids roll their eyes and show me for the umpteenth time how to send a photo over the hypermatrix

("dad, they're not "photos" they're holographic manifolds! and you really should wear pants when you take them")

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s far easier to say obvious misunderstanding things like “the pokemans” than trying but failing to understand their new forms of communication and understanding

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i’m the snore lacks.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

TimWinter posted:

My daughter regularly tells me and the wife to take a deep breath. Every now and then she's right, I've lost my chill, so I make a big show of being respectful and thankful and controlling my temper, taking a deep breath while in my head the words ring "drat I just got owned by a 3 year old"

My son does this too.

My wife had a bit of a meltdown the other day and my kid went and got his yoga book, gave it to her, told her to breathe and patted her knee and went "you feel better now"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

it’s far easier to say obvious misunderstanding things like “the pokemans” than trying but failing to understand their new forms of communication and understanding
https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/999049063629803522?s=21

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol. my kid gets annoyed with me when i put emphasis on the wrong syllable in “ninjago”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

he also used to absolutely insist that it was called “elmo’s square” and not “elmo’s world”. was like three though.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

he also used to absolutely insist that it was called “elmo’s square” and not “elmo’s world”. was like three though.
it was more of a shame cube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

when I was little I insisted that cairo was in france. I have no idea where I got this idea