Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

This is a great Star Wars name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Cool about recasting one of their transphobes but what about Rosario Dawson?
Fire her rear end too.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
IIRC the Gunn thing was further complicated because the exec who authorized the whole thing was like some 100 year old skeleton looking guy who was such an old school 50’s business dude that getting him to admit he made a mistake and walk something back was just impossible, and that Gunn actually could have come back sooner but they had to wait for the old guy to retire/die.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Organic Lube User posted:

Fire her rear end too.

Oh please tell us why.

:allears:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just look up why that person’s lawyers dropped them.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fire her rear end too.

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh please tell us why.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh please tell us why.

Ah, looks like the guy has dropped his lawsuit. Nevermind, I guess.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Dawson and Lowtax: both vindicated by the American justice system.

When people failed to prosecute them, they started persecuting them.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VinylonUnderground posted:

gently caress off, Shbodb.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ah, looks like the guy has dropped his lawsuit. Nevermind, I guess.

I’m always looking to give victims the benefit of the doubt but I’m also willing to take into account the accused’s actions, statements, and character. To my knowledge Rosario has done nothing to lend credence to the allegations and has gone above and beyond to show that she supports LGBTQ rights. Unless more allegations or some smoking gun turns up, she deserves to keep her job and by all accounts is not a Chud. But it’s hilarious that every week somebody new comes into this thread to poo poo all over her.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
so the Ahoska upcoming series/movies?

1. Star Wars Rebels needs to be in many ways a foundation on this is built on. I'll elaborate further below.

2. We need closure with Rex. Even if it is a memorial at the beginning of the series. Bonus points if they manage to have him stick around for an episode or two. All of the points if they figure out a way to stick around for the entire franchise and not be useless due to extreme age.

3. Sabine has to be the sidekick of Ahsoka even if it takes some time before she runs into them. We keep running into the star wars equivalent of peanut butter/chocolate: Mandalorians and Jedi work great together. :D

4. Thrawn might be the difficult one. In my mind, he should be the big bad that creates the Mandalorian crossover of heroes, but the way he ended (Ezra pulling him somewhere random due to space whales), makes it difficult to use them as such. However, if Asoka doesn't confront him on her own and has success, it undermines her character.

not really sure how to do this one.

5. Also not sure if there really is another good choice for a big bad. The sequel killed most interest to bring back a successor empire and the Vong being used as the crossover event might get people to grumble as much as the other times' Star Wars flopped.

6. Ezra needs to be in the series in the 2nd series/movie once they find them. I want to see how space Aladdin appears once he's an adult, a Jedi but still a street rat at heart. :D

7. open to any and all cameos and/or additions in the Rebel's crew. Zeb became one of my favorite characters just because he really is a well-meaning, but grumpy purple kitty at heart. Chomper is also a likely addition if they need a droid companion.

8. I want to see Canan and Hera's kid take the kid role and act as Asoka's padawan (or failing that Ezra's) as time progresses.

9. and I definitely want a Jedi hoedown where you have Luke, Ahsoka, Ezra, and baby Yoda in the same room arguing in that ooh so polite attitude that Jedi do. :D

Bonus points if they manage to not base it on any planets that have been done in the movies/the clone wars so far. My main exception is Genosis.

one last thing:

10. Ventriss never died in the Clone Wars or Rebels (off-screen discussions don't count, otherwise Han wouldn't have survived ROTJ), so I want her to mature to be the crazy lightsaber-wielding nightsister/mother figure that plays the Hondo role in this series.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The story is also way, way more confusing and weird than people ever let on. Dawson's family hired this man from NYC after knowing them as a lesbian for 20 years, and then he lived and worked with them for a period of time, and then they asked him to move out so they could rent to house to someone else as a source of income and he flatly refused. It's only here, at the point of being asked to leave, essentially getting evicted and fired at the same time, that the accusations start coming out, with honestly the most ridiculous part being when the man in question gets into a fistfight with Dawson's 70 year old mother who is trying to physically drag this person out of the house.

It's honestly quite easy for me to envision a scenario in which Dawson is attempting stop a grown man in his 40's from assaulting her 70 year old mother, and again, every claim against Rosario is dropped, and the only claims left are the assault charges against Dawson's mom.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

VinylonUnderground posted:

Got any super secret evidence you’d like to share with the rest of the class?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Bust Rodd posted:

The story is also way, way more confusing and weird than people ever let on. Dawson's family hired this man from NYC after knowing them as a lesbian for 20 years, and then he lived and worked with them for a period of time, and then they asked him to move out so they could rent to house to someone else as a source of income and he flatly refused. It's only here, at the point of being asked to leave, essentially getting evicted and fired at the same time, that the accusations start coming out, with honestly the most ridiculous part being when the man in question gets into a fistfight with Dawson's 70 year old mother who is trying to physically drag this person out of the house.

It's honestly quite easy for me to envision a scenario in which Dawson is attempting stop a grown man in his 40's from assaulting her 70 year old mother, and again, every claim against Rosario is dropped, and the only claims left are the assault charges against Dawson's mom.

If I remember correctly the acussation was that Dawson's elderly mother pulled the man from a window, and dragged him by the hair. Then Dawson jumped on him, sat on him and punched him in the face. All while shouting transphobic slurs and stuff like that.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

shades of eternity posted:

so the Ahoska upcoming series/movies?

1. Star Wars Rebels needs to be in many ways a foundation on this is built on. I'll elaborate further below.

2. We need closure with Rex. Even if it is a memorial at the beginning of the series. Bonus points if they manage to have him stick around for an episode or two. All of the points if they figure out a way to stick around for the entire franchise and not be useless due to extreme age.

3. Sabine has to be the sidekick of Ahsoka even if it takes some time before she runs into them. We keep running into the star wars equivalent of peanut butter/chocolate: Mandalorians and Jedi work great together. :D

4. Thrawn might be the difficult one. In my mind, he should be the big bad that creates the Mandalorian crossover of heroes, but the way he ended (Ezra pulling him somewhere random due to space whales), makes it difficult to use them as such. However, if Asoka doesn't confront him on her own and has success, it undermines her character.

I dunno.

2) I feel like there is already enough fanservice with the series. I guess what's one more but do we really need that poo poo? Especially after they already tried to make it so he is in Jedi. Why not new people?

3) Yeah, that was pretty clearly set up.

4) I hate Thrawn but I figure they already set-up what he can be at the start. He's the McGuffin at the start. Finding him involves burning through his mooks in an adventure-of-the-week setup since that served Mando well. In terms of threat scaling, you can have a grand threat where he discovered some Terrible Secret of Space and a more personal narrative threat where the TSoS initially team up with Thrawn out of need and then eventually come to join him fully. So, S1 = Mooks, endgame is meeting Thrawn. S2 = Winning back Ezra from Thrawn S3 = Thrawn and the Terrible Secret of Space. Depending on need, you can condense that into 2 seasons pretty easily.

Ideally new characters, since this is already a lot of the old cast.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alchenar posted:

A bit, but Gunn was absolutely sacked and gone and the only reason Disney reversed course is because basically the entire cast of Guardians publicly said they wouldn't do another film without him. Gunn was so gone that he was picked up by WB and Guardians 3 is stuck waiting for him to become available again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Along with the overall social media backlash since it turned out Disney had pissed off exactly the demographic they thought they were appeasing while the nazis ran a victory lap.

Y'know, shoulda been an early sign about how bad Disney is at responding to social media.

Also wasn't the whole backlash against Gunn originally started by internet chuds as a smug "Okay, we can play that game as well! :smug:" maneuver as retribution for something or other?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also wasn't the whole backlash against Gunn originally started by internet chuds as a smug "Okay, we can play that game as well! :smug:" maneuver as retribution for something or other?

100%

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yeah that was the other difference-- that article paints it as "Disney is coming own hard on people who are too right-wing" but people on the left who gently caress up tend to apologize or address it instead of doubling down.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It was but I don't think that matters. People who cared about Carano's politics and didn't want her on the show just because she was right wing are just as bad and are creating this atmosphere where creatives aren't allowed to draw a line between their professional and personal lives. Obviously once she crossed the line into Holocaust denial then it was entirely the right call to drop her, but there was an internet outrage mob gathering long before that point.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hazo posted:

Yeah that was the other difference-- that article paints it as "Disney is coming own hard on people who are too right-wing" but people on the left who gently caress up tend to apologize or address it instead of doubling down.

This is honestly my biggest take with this whole cancel culture crap. We all gently caress up and we all have skeletons in our closets. 10-15 years ago seems like 100 years ago. If actors/musicians/whoever did some bad inappropriate behavior, own up to it, apologize, and tell us what you’ll do to make amends or learn from it. Outside of something completely awful like rape or violence we’ll likely forgive and be ok going forward. But then you get Chuds like Gina who double down and tank their career in process without a care and it’s mind boggling. Why the hell would you throw away a Star Wars career with garunteed convention circuit revenue and adoring fandom? I’m starting to believe the CTE theory from her MMA days...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Alchenar posted:

It was but I don't think that matters. People who cared about Carano's politics and didn't want her on the show just because she was right wing are just as bad and are creating this atmosphere where creatives aren't allowed to draw a line between their professional and personal lives. Obviously once she crossed the line into Holocaust denial then it was entirely the right call to drop her, but there was an internet outrage mob gathering long before that point.

Hating a transphobic antisemite is not the same thing as hating trans people and no they are not “just as bad” wtf are you for real?

Edit: to clarify, she shouldn’t have lost her job at Disney for obvious transphobia, but antisemitism is where Disney correctly draws the line?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 17, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Alchenar posted:

Does someone have that dril "no difference between good and bad things" tweet handy, by chance

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cartoon Man posted:

This is honestly my biggest take with this whole cancel culture crap. We all gently caress up and we all have skeletons in our closets. 10-15 years ago seems like 100 years ago. If actors/musicians/whoever did some bad inappropriate behavior, own up to it, apologize, and tell us what you’ll do to make amends or learn from it. Outside of something completely awful like rape or violence we’ll likely forgive and be ok going forward. But then you get Chuds like Gina who double down and tank their career in process without a care and it’s mind boggling. Why the hell would you throw away a Star Wars career with garunteed convention circuit revenue and adoring fandom? I’m starting to believe the CTE theory from her MMA days...

Rhonda Rousey comes to mind, and honestly wouldn't be surprised, it's not like we don't see a lot of behaviour from wrestlers and football players that's likely related to brain damage and an otherwise extremely unhealthy lifestyle.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Alchenar posted:

Anti-trans statements, anti-mask statements, anti-globist statements steeped in anti-semitic imagery, comparing conservatives to a group that were the victim of a state sponsored genocide aren't political statements. They're dog whistles for ignorant idiots. She didn't get canned because of her support for lower taxes or her opinion on the federal budget, she got canned for being dumb and putting her foot in her mouth multiple times.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Bust Rodd posted:

Hating a transphobic antisemite is not the same thing as hating trans people and no they are not “just as bad” wtf are you for real?

Edit: to clarify, she shouldn’t have lost her job at Disney for obvious transphobia, but antisemitism is where Disney correctly draws the line?

It's a pretty standard "both sides" talking point that boils down to:

Supporting historical violence against vulnerable people: absolutely a reason to fire someone.

Supporting current violence against vulnerable people: perfectly acceptable.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Alchenar posted:

Hey this is a really dumb take. I liked Carano as much as the next guy after seeing her in Deadpool and Mando and didn't gave a single thought to her politics. Once she started advertising her account on Nazi Twitter and loudly retweeting chuds, I realized she was garbage.

"not allowed to draw a line between their professional and personal lives" seriously? You might as well be saying "disliking her for her views is just as bad as her disliking Jews and trans people." There are undoubtedly lots of people with lovely hateful views in Hollywood but they're smart enough to keep quiet about them. Chris Pratt comes to mind.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Burning_Monk posted:

Hi, I'm Billia Burr cousin to Bill Burr from Space Bostonia! I've got P.S.T... Wicked eh?!?

Ha, maybe Space Boston was also destroyed by a death star? Anyways, Mayfield was always a much more interesting character.

What did Carano ever even do on the show? One quick tussle with Mando when they met, then was nothing more than hired muscle with a backstory that was far cooler than anything she was ever capable of portraying.

Compare that to when Mayfield blasted that Imperial officer in the face in the canteen after spending a whole episode chumping on Mando's whole world view and calling him out on his bullshit.

Bust Rodd posted:

Again, the show has at least 2 other super badass Mandalorian warriors

Now, this is a much better option than Space Bostonians finding redemption through shooting people.

I really liked Sasha Banks' character. She's fighty and has a sarcastic mouth. How many people are going to call out loving Boba Fett and go toe to toe with him without batting an eye?

She could also make fun of Mando for being a huge goober space fundie.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Mathew McConaughey is a 50 year old Republican from Texas and I’ll see everything he puts out until he drops dead because he knows to keep that poo poo away from his fans.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Alchenar posted:

She was saying COVID was a hoax and people shouldn’t wear masks a year ago lol (and never stopped). Plus constant transphobia and racist poo poo on top of that. This wasn’t even her first anti-Semitic post!

Her employment at Disney gives her a massive public profile that allows her to reach a lot of ears. If she’s going to use it for that, she should gently caress off. It is not the same as digging up old jokes from 15 years ago that were already well-known and that the person had already apologized for and stopped doing

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Bust Rodd posted:

Mathew McConaughey is a 50 year old Republican from Texas and I’ll see everything he puts out until he drops dead because he knows to keep that poo poo away from his fans.

This. Conservatives are supposed to believe in "the marketplace of ideas," but the stupid ones get pissed when they put their ideas out there and nobody wants to buy them and then they go out of business. Conservatives with brains recognize that nobody likes anything they have to say and thus don't say it. Bing, bong, the system works.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

He’s positioning himself to run for office real soon, probably governor. He’ll likely win based on star power and likeability alone, to say nothing of his political views. Wouldn’t want to run against him at all.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If she was a warehouse worker in some amazon sweatshop, I wouldn't give a gently caress either about whether she got to keep working because it has no bearing on her ability to influence others with her lovely views.

As an actress starring in a high-profile show her work directly give her the ability to reach millions, and at that point it's absolutely on Disney if they choose to keep her employed and grant her that influence when she uses it to advocate against health and safety of society overall.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hmm, weird, it’s almost like it doesn’t make sense for a toy company to employ an obvious and outspoken conservative hatemonger! Seems communist to me, letting a corporation fire someone, but hey, what can you do?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
They repeatedly said vile poo poo on the internet for anyone to see, it's not like Disney hired private investigators to follow them and make sure they toe the company line, that's reserved for the pro-union degenerates.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Yep. They found stuff he had already deleted and apologized for (and to be fair, some of the joked were super hosed up, but he admitted that they were hosed up and would stop making jokes like that) and waved it at Disney after Gunn went hard on being Anti-Trump. Disney super knee-jerk reacted because they had just gone through firing Roseann and people were like "If you fire her for lovely tweets, ya gotta fire him" So they did.

It was only after he went to DC and started work on The Suicide Squad that they went "Oh poo poo, we probably should have thought that through, and also not negotiated with chuds on the internet"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Slashrat posted:

If she was a warehouse worker in some amazon sweatshop, I wouldn't give a gently caress either about whether she got to keep working because it has no bearing on her ability to influence others with her lovely views.

That's unfair! She comes from very humble origins where her father... let me check my notes... is the General Manager of three huge Vegas casinos. Oh.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AdmiralViscen posted:

She was saying COVID was a hoax and people shouldn’t wear masks a year ago lol (and never stopped). Plus constant transphobia and racist poo poo on top of that. This wasn’t even her first anti-Semitic post!

Her employment at Disney gives her a massive public profile that allows her to reach a lot of ears. If she’s going to use it for that, she should gently caress off. It is not the same as digging up old jokes from 15 years ago that were already well-known and that the person had already apologized for and stopped doing

Yeah that's fair. I guess I just wasn't paying close attention because really I just don't care what she thinks about anything.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wonder if they'll pull/edit the making of season 2 special, since it was clearly going out of its way to mitigate the anti-Carano sentiment by focusing a lot on her positives, to the point where they glossed over several other cast members.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

sticklefifer posted:

I wonder if they'll pull/edit the making of season 2 special, since it was clearly going out of its way to mitigate the anti-Carano sentiment by focusing a lot on her positives, to the point where they glossed over several other cast members.

Take her out, put in stuff on Mark Hamill, drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Kurt Russell is a dipshit libertarian but everyone loves him and his movies.

This whole both sides narrative is bullshit.