Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think this week's episode is the last chance for them to pull back the curtain on a supervillain if there's one in this story. It just changes so much of what we're assuming is a story about Wanda having a grief-induced breakdown (possibly manipulated by someone/thing) for them to drop in an 'actually it was agnes the whole time' in the last 60 minutes.

e: I mean they've been doing great thus far and I have a lot of faith, but this is the point of the story where you have to start answering questions and moving all the characters towards the dramatic conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Test Pattern posted:

I'm starting to think that if there is a supernatural entity controlling Wanda, they're failing badly, and have found themselves in a tiger-by-the-tail situation. Or she's straight-up draining it, so in the big reveal of Herb, it's an emaciated Mephisto, begging for help. At most they're her drug dealer, not a nefarious puppet master.

Wanda has to be in the driver's seat here, even if someone or something else is involved.

That is true, lots of people have been assuming someone is feeding on Wanda's "magic" based on the Yo-Magic commercial, but Pietro straight-up points out she shouldn't have that kind of power on her own. We also don't really see if he's okay after she blasts him just before massively expanding the Hex's borders. If he is Mephisto, it's possible that he hasn't necessarily been manipulating from the start, just observing at first to see what's been draining power from him/his realm.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

According to IMDB Quicksilver will be in this next episode. It seems she didnt kill him. He was just being annoying and a dick, not throwing bombs at children like SWORD did. I think deep inside Wanda still wants to be a good person...on her own not so good way.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If this isn't the work of someone else, any ideas on what could be the cause of Wanda's power to get like this?

Vision's dead body interacting with Wanda in a really weird way, maybe?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Test Pattern posted:

I'm starting to think that if there is a supernatural entity controlling Wanda, they're failing badly, and have found themselves in a tiger-by-the-tail situation. Or she's straight-up draining it, so in the big reveal of Herb, it's an emaciated Mephisto, begging for help. At most they're her drug dealer, not a nefarious puppet master.

Wanda has to be in the driver's seat here, even if someone or something else is involved.
My running theory is that the chaos of what Wanda is doing is what whoever is manipulating/egging her on wants. The hex itself is going to gently caress with dimensional barriers which is how it leads in to Dr. Strange 2.

Alchenar posted:

I think this week's episode is the last chance for them to pull back the curtain on a supervillain if there's one in this story. It just changes so much of what we're assuming is a story about Wanda having a grief-induced breakdown (possibly manipulated by someone/thing) for them to drop in an 'actually it was agnes the whole time' in the last 60 minutes.

e: I mean they've been doing great thus far and I have a lot of faith, but this is the point of the story where you have to start answering questions and moving all the characters towards the dramatic conclusion.
I agree, if there's only 3 episodes left then this week is where you have to start setting up the ending. Maybe we don't get a full on villain reveal, but we need to start getting hints at the bigger picture here soon.

Electric Phantasm posted:

If this isn't the work of someone else, any ideas on what could be the cause of Wanda's power to get like this?

Wanda's powers (in the comics at least) are capable of doing all of this, and you could explain it as being born of the emotional trauma she's going through making her powers go crazy. Someone else doesn't have to be enhancing her power, they could just be pushing her/tricking her into using them in a way to get what they want.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 17, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I always assumed Wanda's being manipulated, but not controlled; after all, the best way to get someone to do what you want is to make them think it's what they want. A little ironic too since her whole deal in AoU was using mind control to freak the Avengers out and turn them against each other/inflict emotional breakdowns.

Given the Maximoffs have a totally different and not particularly deeply explored backstory in the MCU (since originally they're just mutants) they might go into that a little. Would be an interesting idea if the Mind Stone awoke what was already there in her, and actually limited her powers to a level that Hydra thought they could control.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It could also be introducing the possibility that people came back from the blip different, easy way to bring in mutants. Tony just didn't snap good enough

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
You mean Bruce. Tony snapped Thanos' army away.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I always assumed Wanda's being manipulated, but not controlled; after all, the best way to get someone to do what you want is to make them think it's what they want. A little ironic too since her whole deal in AoU was using mind control to freak the Avengers out and turn them against each other/inflict emotional breakdowns.

Given the Maximoffs have a totally different and not particularly deeply explored backstory in the MCU (since originally they're just mutants) they might go into that a little. Would be an interesting idea if the Mind Stone awoke what was already there in her, and actually limited her powers to a level that Hydra thought they could control.

Infinity stone fuckery activating the X gene would be a good way to explain how more mutants start popping up too.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Desperado Bones posted:

According to IMDB Quicksilver will be in this next episode. It seems she didnt kill him. He was just being annoying and a dick, not throwing bombs at children like SWORD did. I think deep inside Wanda still wants to be a good person...on her own not so good way.

Yeah, I was just wondering if what she was doing was actually draining more energy from him (whether she was conscious of it or not) to expand the Hex.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Test Pattern posted:

Wanda definitely has to be in some level of control given all the things she's said and done, but whoever is behind giving her that power could be getting something from allowing her that level of control. The "For the Children" chant in episode two implies that someone wants her to have kids for some reason, and it could be a demonic or otherwordly presence is trying to infringe on our reality through kids of a woman given massively inflated power as an example.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Yeah, I was just wondering if what she was doing was actually draining more energy from him (whether she was conscious of it or not) to expand the Hex.

Looked as she just shoot some energy at him as in a "shut the gently caress up, not now!" way. But anyways, I'm gonna be a bit sad if he doesn't make it to the end.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The line of "she got her powers from an Infinity stone too right?" from the previous episode seemed pointless if not only to remind where Wandas powers come from.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

GPTribefan posted:

I thought it was Vision, given that she broke into SWORD to steal him, and they were clearly planning something for him.

Wasn't the implication that SWORD was holding Vision's body in accordance with his will as a measure to prevent people weaponizing his technology?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fezz posted:

Let's not bicker and argue about who snapped who

I forgot there were two snaps

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Fezz posted:

Thats the on screen result of Tony's snap. He may have also wished for humans to get their own powers, for the entire world to evolve its own suit of armor.

He never spoke afterwards, so it's a hanging thread for them to use at any time.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

Wasn't the implication that SWORD was holding Vision's body in accordance with his will as a measure to prevent people weaponizing his technology?

I think the implication based on the state of his body and all the people around it, was that they were probably doing more with his body than his will would have wanted. Seems to be part of why the head SWORD guy is so focused on Vision rather than Wanda when it comes to tracking.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Good point! Tony's arc was all about fear of conquest and paranoia over threats. If that's in the back of his mind when he has the infinity gauntlet power, I can see him subconsciously changing humans to be more powerful, stronger.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Azhais posted:

Let's not bicker and argue about who snapped who

I forgot there were two snaps

well I mean there were three snaps on earth alone. So good as reason as any to have a poo poo load of weird cosmic radiation activating dormant mutant genes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Eh, that'd be a clunky way to introduce mutants to the MCU, not that I'd put it past them. Since one of the big themes with mutants is they've been around for a long time, but only recently emerging in numbers too widely and public to ignore or suppress... which to be fair, they COULD justify with recent events. Especially since they were originally 'Children of the Atom' supposedly triggered in growth by the first atomic bomb. Ah, 60s comic book science.

They could get meta if they acknowledge the Fox universe or something similar as an alternate fork further back in the timeline where mutants became the dominant superhumans rather than the aliens and science one-offs of the MCU prime universe.

Aidan_702 posted:

well I mean there were three snaps on earth alone. So good as reason as any to have a poo poo load of weird cosmic radiation activating dormant mutant genes

The wild thing is, as above, there's actual precedent for this, where this is the LESS silly variant. Not to mention the destruction of the Infinity Stones is probably loving around with universal constants a tad.

It's also mentioned in GotG that the Celestials once used the Infinity Stones as tools, and a good ol' comics retcon was that mutants are (possibly?) a result of Celestials meddling with the genome of early humanity.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 17, 2021

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Alchenar posted:

If Disney is using this as the springboard for Phase 4, then they could absolutely end on a cliffhanger with a final tag saying "Find out what happens in Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness at a theater near you next March!”

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The X-man cometh posted:

If Disney is using this as the springboard for Phase 4, then they could absolutely end on a cliffhanger with a final tag saying "Find out what happens in Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness at a theater near you next March!”

If this was their third or fourth TV show and/or a movie was only weeks away, with a safe atmosphere to ensure people would go see it then I can maybe see that happening. As is though, that movie probably won't be out for at least a year, and with COVID issues it might be even longer before it's released so I think that's unlikely. They need this show to do well, to help sell people on Marvel TV shows as a viable format for the MCU as a whole and doing something like that is outright guaranteed to piss a lot of people off because the story isn't actually self-contained in any way.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
That's true, but Wandavision and multiverse of madness were supposed to come out last year. Did they have time to fix it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Right, I'd forgotten they'd pushed it back so far.

And well, it's not like they haven't set up a pattern of 'make a satisfactory ending for a particular story while leaving open hooks to keep people interested in what comes next'. I imagine the climax is likely to be Wanda coming to terms with what she's been through while whatever's going on with the Hex is resolved, but likely hooks to what's going on next. And as suggested, it's like that's gonna be the multiverse, especially with not-Spiderverse coming out.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

If this was their third or fourth TV show and/or a movie was only weeks away, with a safe atmosphere to ensure people would go see it then I can maybe see that happening. As is though, that movie probably won't be out for at least a year, and with COVID issues it might be even longer before it's released so I think that's unlikely. They need this show to do well, to help sell people on Marvel TV shows as a viable format for the MCU as a whole and doing something like that is outright guaranteed to piss a lot of people off because the story isn't actually self-contained in any way.

Doctor Strange 2 was originally supposed to come out this May. They didn't know COVID was going to shut the world down when they started planning everything.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda feel that would be a cop out given that was the plot of Captain Marvel.

Also I had a thought of what could have been cool but not really end to Endgame. The snap didn't bring dead people back to life, it brought their 616 versions into the MCU, mutants and all. Cool idea until I realized then that'd mean their original world just got snapped and they wouldn't really be the same people either.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Kinda feel that would be a cop out given that was the plot of Captain Marvel.

Also I had a thought of what could have been cool but not really end to Endgame. The snap didn't bring dead people back to life, it brought their 616 versions into the MCU, mutants and all. Cool idea until I realized then that'd mean their original world just got snapped and they wouldn't really be the same people either.

The Kree were gaslighting Carol into being their weapon. She didn't get anything out of it. Even if someone is pulling Wanda's strings, she's still getting something out of the Hex and is explicitly fighting to keep it together.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The X-man cometh posted:

That's true, but Wandavision and multiverse of madness were supposed to come out last year. Did they have time to fix it?

If they didn't have enough time to do so originally I don't see why they wouldn't have simply changed the release date and made sure it had a satisfactory conclusion of it's own, even if it left some open ties to forthcoming works rather than just being a hard cut. There was nothing significant about the release day of WandaVision or anything, and it wasn't even originally intended as the first Disney+ Marvel show, so there's no reason they wouldn't have been comfortable delaying it by a few months and making Falcon & Winter Soldier the first show again.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Ouhei posted:

I agree, if there's only 3 episodes left then this week is where you have to start setting up the ending. Maybe we don't get a full on villain reveal, but we need to start getting hints at the bigger picture here soon.

9 episodes total, so far following a standard three-act pattern with each act consisting of three episodes. 1-3: nearly pure sitcom setup, strong hints at the underlying reality. 4-6: showing us the underlying reality, the sitcom world starting to seriously crumble, and setting things up for 7-9: reveal and resolution.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sarcastro posted:

9 episodes total, so far following a standard three-act pattern with each act consisting of three episodes. 1-3: nearly pure sitcom setup, strong hints at the underlying reality. 4-6: showing us the underlying reality, the sitcom world starting to seriously crumble, and setting things up for 7-9: reveal and resolution.

Only three more episodes before Thrakkorzog's plan comes to fruition

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

tsob posted:

If they didn't have enough time to do so originally I don't see why they wouldn't have simply changed the release date and made sure it had a satisfactory conclusion of it's own, even if it left some open ties to forthcoming works rather than just being a hard cut. There was nothing significant about the release day of WandaVision or anything, and it wasn't even originally intended as the first Disney+ Marvel show, so there's no reason they wouldn't have been comfortable delaying it by a few months and making Falcon & Winter Soldier the first show again.

I forget - were all three of the shows originally supposed to come out before Dr. Strange 2? Seems like they may have wanted to set up Wandavision, Loki, and Falcon/Bucky (henceforth "Fucky") as leading into the Phase 4 movies just as the original solo films then lead directly into Avengers.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Do an MCU Battlespace in Dr Strange 2 and put the Fox mutants in 90s animated series outfits YOU COWARDS

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

live with fruit posted:

Doctor Strange 2 was originally supposed to come out this May. They didn't know COVID was going to shut the world down when they started planning everything.

It also didn't help that Marvel did that thing they love doing in scaring off the director on a long-gestating project at the last minute. I am sure the switch to Sam Raimi didn't make that original date any easier.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Robot Hobo posted:

That's maybe the most brilliant part of the Wandavision story arc. Wanda's trying to keep her idealized life going, but whenever it starts to fall apart, she gives up on her crafted TV world and makes another. Somehow she's totally failed to recognize that each era gets progressively closer to reality, which is the thing she most wants to avoid. It's both a metaphor for how her crafted life will only continue to get harder on her over time, and a literal cause for the same. Each era is going to take more and more of her power and concentration to keep under control, meaning her plan has been in a death-spiral from the very first time she rebooted her world.

This is my take as well, and I think it plays perfectly into the latest commercial. The isolated boy on the island is how she described herself as being totally alone, emotionally wasting away. She has this "yo-magic", which is a promise that she can use her powers to nourish herself, but even with those powers in her hands, it does nothing to ease her isolation and despair. Every episode the sitcom changes because it's never satisfying and she thinks if she can just tweak the variables (children of different ages, her brother back in her life) she can finally land on the secret formula that will make her finally happy forever.

The fact that this "yo-magic" was handed to her by a literal shark, to me definitely implies that there is some influencing force that manipulated her into doing this, promising that her enhanced powers could make her happy. Whether that is Wanda's subconscious, SWORD, or some other unknown villain is TBD.

...Also, on a completely unrelated note, something that has been bothering me is Vision's super speed in the hex. He's used it multiple times in the sitcom sequences, but I don't remember that ever being one of his established abilities.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Doctor Nutt posted:

Do an MCU Battlespace in Dr Strange 2 and put the Fox mutants in 90s animated series outfits YOU COWARDS

Um, the proper term in Marvel Parlance is "Do a Secret Wars," thank you very much :colbert:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It also didn't help that Marvel did that thing they love doing in scaring off the director on a long-gestating project at the last minute. I am sure the switch to Sam Raimi didn't make that original date any easier.

The irony is that Derrickson left because of the release date and then it was pushed back a year.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Timeless Appeal posted:

One movie I think people should check out is Resolution. It's a pretty standard cabin in the woods horror movie about two guys seeing creepy stuff. In the end of the movie it is revealed that the camera is some sort of unseen Lovecraft style God that they have been aware of and trying to appease. The movie ends with one of the film's heroes asking, "Can we try it another way?" It turns out that the whole movie is them acting out a movie and trying to satisfy this mysterious demon.

Interestingly enough, the director is directing the majority of Moon Knight. So, it's a movie that MCU people are aware of.
I love Benson & Moorhead's films, but I've only read that they're directing one episode. Did they announce more?

All their films beyond Resolution are interconnected too. The Endless is basically a straight sequel focusing on different characters, Synchronic explores the drugs made out of the red flowers, and Spring is less direct but namedrops a shared character. They're really creating an interesting universe.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Bucswabe posted:

...Also, on a completely unrelated note, something that has been bothering me is Vision's super speed in the hex. He's used it multiple times in the sitcom sequences, but I don't remember that ever being one of his established abilities.

It wasn't, and from the first episode when he did it I thought it was an indication that Wanda was conflating her grief over him with that over her brother, and that Pietro was probably going to show up at some point.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vision only showed super speed when working on a computer right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Vision only showed super speed when working on a computer right?

He ran the doctor over to help with the birth