Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

chumbler posted:

I like the part where you can tell that nobody knows the words immediately past bullshit blazing.

I don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Giovanni's wolf also making a pain face is good

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
tbf if there's an anime buttrock song that I know all the words of, it's not coming to mind

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't mean to imply I know the words either.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Firstborn posted:

tbf if there's an anime buttrock song that I know all the words of, it's not coming to mind

Go now, if you want it
An otherworld awaits you
Don't you give up on it
You bite the hand that feeds you

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gutcruncher posted:

https://youtu.be/SrdCX7hcfGQ

This is pretty great but still, RIP kancho you will be missed

i think this is funnier imo

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Firstborn posted:

BURY THE LIGHT DEEP WITHIN

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I'm trying to find the worst SF4 tournament of all time. I'm pretty sure it was in whatever iteration the fighting game thread was on 10 years ago, and it sounds so out there and downright fake, if i didnt remember so many details I'd be 100% convinced it was all a dream.

All the players were playing at the same time on a big stage on couches and monitors or projectors, the two hosts, a man and a woman, just wandered around talking to the players WHILE PLAYING.
The feed would cut back and forth between random games happening at that time and the hosts, often just holding for uncomfortable amounts of time on the hosts trying to have a conversation with the uncomfortable and annoyed competitors or just a closeup of one of their faces as they watch the match that you as the viewer cannot see.
This wasnt wandering cell phone or camcorder footage of a normal tournament floor or something, but the actual intended professional production. Like it was just all put together by someone who seriously had no idea what someone would want to see out of a videogame tournament (such as seeing a complete match beginning to end)

Please let one of my fellow Old Folks remember this too, not only to help me find the footage but to also reassure myself that my brain hasnt already rotted away

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I wasn't too interested in new GG, but seeing that Faust's super is "Hitting People In the Shins With a Wheelchair" has piqued my interest

EDIT: And seeing the pixel lobby thing has dampened it a bit

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I never thought kancho was funny so bring on the wheelchair imo

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

I wasn't too interested in new GG, but seeing that Faust's super is "Hitting People In the Shins With a Wheelchair" has piqued my interest

EDIT: And seeing the pixel lobby thing has dampened it a bit

The pixel lobby is kinda a neat idea, but it's just so clunky. I definitely see how someone convinced management to go with it though

Luckily in the full release you can just queue for matches right out of training mode or join private lobbies or whatever so you don't have to really engage with it if ya don't want to.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Stick needers, 10% off at eightarc on qanba stuff coupon code PRESIDENT2021. Its not as low as their occasional 20% but hey, its something.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Gutcruncher, you sure it was one nerd to blame? That sounds an awful lot like one those "official" tournaments put on for advertising.
Do you remember the SFxT house? Hahahaha.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Firstborn posted:

i don't really know the words to either, but i like Heavy Day better than Bullshit Blazing

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Firstborn posted:

Gutcruncher, you sure it was one nerd to blame? That sounds an awful lot like one those "official" tournaments put on for advertising.
Do you remember the SFxT house? Hahahaha.

I’m not sure if it was an official capcom funded thing or not but it was certainly seemed like a professional group and not some single nerd just doing it themselves. I vaguely feel like it might have been a group that has done other events or tournaments but couldn’t wrap their heads around fighting games or how to present them.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I like the wheelchair conceptually but the faces are nowhere as good as the Xrd ones so far, apart maybe from Potemkin.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Gutcruncher posted:

I’m not sure if it was an official capcom funded thing or not but it was certainly seemed like a professional group and not some single nerd just doing it themselves. I vaguely feel like it might have been a group that has done other events or tournaments but couldn’t wrap their heads around fighting games or how to present them.

Wait is this it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I3X2cO9InQ
https://www.reddit.com/r/SF4/comments/1wldh1/poor_ryan_hart_he_just_wants_to_play/
Searching for every variation of "sf4 worst cringe esports tournament"

E: iirc there was also tournaments put on by some real e-sports League of Legends types that had no idea about fighting-man games

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 17, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Wait could Triforce’s VxG tournament from years and years back fit the bill or was that just a Marvel 3 tournament

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Firstborn posted:

Wait is this it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I3X2cO9InQ
https://www.reddit.com/r/SF4/comments/1wldh1/poor_ryan_hart_he_just_wants_to_play/
Searching for every variation of "sf4 worst cringe esports tournament"

E: iirc there was also tournaments put on by some real e-sports League of Legends types that had no idea about fighting-man games

It wasn’t those, for one this had to be pre-AE based on the apartment I was living in when I saw it. Also just skipping through it looked like there was lots of actual gameplay. How I remember this one was mostly wandering around a dark stage with bright spotlights with scattered pairs of players and sometimes cutting to a random game feed for like 10 seconds then back to wandering around the stage.

Do you have the names of any of the LOL type streamers from 2010? It’s possible it was one of them and this would greatly help narrow the search

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
drat let me check the records.
*pulls out a big book that says "Old SRK.com Account"*

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Firstborn posted:

drat let me check the records.
*pulls out a big book that says "Old SRK.com Account"*

The sacred tomes...

Man SRK forums had some good collections of info, but dang they were pretty bad overall

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Elvis_Maximus posted:

The sacred tomes...

Man SRK forums had some good collections of info, but dang they were pretty bad overall

i spent too much time reading tech talk but i learned a shitload of stuff between everyone making GBS threads on focus attack for bs

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
After watching people in Florida play against people in Japan and it's actually playable, I'm super stoked for Strive.

Just hope the lobbies aren't going to be as trash as the last beta.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

After watching people in Florida play against people in Japan and it's actually playable, I'm super stoked for Strive.

Just hope the lobbies aren't going to be as trash as the last beta.

The lobbies are still clunky but apparently there's going to be a rematch option in the full game which would fix the worst part about it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The most I used SRK for was like, getting help with my stick, contributing to UMvC3 tech, and setting up matches for online Scrabble. Scrabble!!!!!!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just saw the SFV Rose reveal and holy poo poo her model and stage looks worse than KoF14.

That scarf is loving flat. It looked so much better in SF4. What a piece of poo poo that game continues to be.

EDIT: also image being excited to get to spend meter to backdash.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SFV character designs are repulsive to me. I've never seen something so clearly horny yet so unattractive and grotesque at the same time. And I even turned on my monitor!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Artelier posted:

The most I used SRK for was like, getting help with my stick, contributing to UMvC3 tech, and setting up matches for online Scrabble. Scrabble!!!!!!

Scrabble is the ultimate footsies

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That Rose model is very much early in development and they have said so, they probably just scrambled together a functioning model to show off her moves.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I just saw the SFV Rose reveal and holy poo poo her model and stage looks worse than KoF14.

That scarf is loving flat. It looked so much better in SF4. What a piece of poo poo that game continues to be.

EDIT: also image being excited to get to spend meter to backdash.

They were literally previewing WIP stuff for people to see what she's going to look like, just like they were showing concept art and mocap footage.

It is extremely obviously alpha footage with the lighting not done.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 17, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Yes this is early footage.

The finished poo poo in SFV also looks like dog poo poo though.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

SFV character designs are repulsive to me. I've never seen something so clearly horny yet so unattractive and grotesque at the same time. And I even turned on my monitor!

wish you wouldnt lol. jk actually very curious what about the characters, specifically, makes you horny. ill start for me its kens hair and ryus feet.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Did I make a mistake in buying Street Fighter 5? Graphic fidelity aside, the thread is making it sound like it's still bad.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 17, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Did I make a mistake in buying Street Fighter 5? Graphic fidelity aside, it sounds like it's bad.

It is very bad.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Did I make a mistake in buying Street Fighter 5? Graphic fidelity aside, the thread is making it sound like it's still bad.

eh, it has a playerbase, getting updated, and is relatively cheap for all the content

this thread shits on sfv a ton (for good reason) but dont feel bad about playing it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Max Wilco posted:

the last good street fighter came out in the 90s but if you want a game where you don't have to join some random discord to troll for matches it's still probably one of your better options

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

at least you bought it on sale and didnt go crazy like some people

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Max Wilco posted:

It's bad but is also better than it's ever been so kinda ymmv.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I definitely don't think she fits the style of "Ugly clay + poop" that SFV goes for but out of the games context I thought Rose looked really cool and simple in a way the rest of the cast should be.

I also watched that on my phone soooo probably a bad judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

mistake is a strong word since a lot of people enjoy playing it but i personally hate it. itll always hold a special place in my heart though because sfv being bad made me branch out to guilty gear and tekken where otherwise i probably would have stuck to sf games where i was most comfortable.