Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The way Brooke's self-inserts insist on seeing their wives as a little girl is really loving creepy.

nishi koichi posted:

every character has the exact same semi-snarky voice, i would have figured high school

For a second there, I thought you meant Funky Winkerbean, not Sally Forth. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (August 30 - September 3, 1999)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

amigolupus posted:

The way Brooke's self-inserts insist on seeing their wives as a little girl is really loving creepy.

You know the old stereotype of closeted gay men only doing their wives in the dark so they can pretend it's a man?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Slammy posted:

I've heard about this several times and was curious enough to find some of the strips.
Zits
(July 18, 1997 - second week of the strip)

(October 21, 1997)

(December 25 - 31, 1997)

This is interesting because modern Jeremy is depicted as...if not an overachiever, at least an achiever. He's shown getting good grades and working hard, while having lots of hobbies and such. They kinda met Jeremy and Chad in the middle

The Virgin Jeremy and the Chad Chad

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Found a strip with the revised version of Chad -- in fact, I think this might be his last appearance in the strip.

Zits 12/27/2006

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My preacher growing up was a HUGE Zits fan, and he hung at least two sermons a year on an anecdote from the strip. I know for a fact I've heard at least 2-3 that mentioned Chad, and it being the late 90s there wasn't a lot of resources for me to chase those strips down.

In retrospect, it's pretty funny how small a throwaway gag the whole character is, relative to my imagination growing up.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

edit: oh and that was a very good OP, thanks

You're welcome. I'm also trying to update it if important info comes up, such as that Subnat's post about Calligraphr that helps you make edits to comics that I don't think I'd ever seen before despite having posted in this thread for years. It's in there now if anyone wants to find it again for future reference. And if anyone has any other fonts that should be banked in the OP, by all means post them.

Speaking of which I remain shocked that nobody made this joke when Blueberry featured a scene wherein a character literally asks for a ginger ale and is shocked when none are available. But then again, nobody but Samovar knew how to make a Blueberry font!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The only thing I remember about Chad Zits is there there was definitely a Older Brother's Shoe is Comically Large gag at least once.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 17, 1943)

Eric continues to be that guy.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Slammy posted:

I've heard about this several times and was curious enough to find some of the strips.
Zits
(July 18, 1997 - second week of the strip)

(October 21, 1997)

(December 25 - 31, 1997)

drat, a pre-meme meme: the Virgin Jeremy and the Chad Chad. Chad even has the huge chin.

Horsejacking and wagonjacking were more common in the 1700s than one one would think.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EBB posted:

Eric continues to be that guy.

I know it's a trick of perspective, but look how huge that spearhead is. It's the size of Eric's entire lower leg! Strong warriors faint dead away at the sight of such an awesome weapon.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows I mean, they're not wrong

Reminds me of how Lottie got banned from every pool in Britain in The Case of the Fire Inside

davidspackage posted:

I'm amused that there seemed to be no reason for Axa to lose her top again. It just seemed to be gone when she was thrown into the arena, like the artist got bored of not dotting nipples.

From the introduction to the Modesty Blaise book The Puppet Masters

Rob van der Nol posted:

A lot of readers will have been overjoyed with the third frame of panel 2596, but it also created a little stir. Modesty standing there, naked breasts, hands on her hips, proud and feminine as ever. Nowdays on can't understand why, but in 1971, not everybody was a liberal as O'Donnell had hoped for. A semi-naked woman in a 'respectable' newspaper just wouldn't do. Several people complained, and the Sunday Times even ran a short article on the affair. O'Donnell got a small reprimand from the Evening Standard, but thankfully nothing too serious.

From then on, Modesty kept her bra on in the comics, but a few years later Romero got his fair share of drawing nudes when he started drawing his own comic strip, the sci-fi saga Axa. One of the ingredients for this Donne Avenell-scripted series, which often recalled the playful sexuality of the 1940's Jane series, was how to get Axa out of her upper clothing, and in just about every story they found a way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Selachian posted:

Found a strip with the revised version of Chad -- in fact, I think this might be his last appearance in the strip.

Zits 12/27/2006

Wait, Jeremy has a sister too? Has she ever been seen or mentioned before or after this?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cathy - Feb 27+28 1977

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Larryb posted:

Wait, Jeremy has a sister too? Has she ever been seen or mentioned before or after this?

No, he doesn't. That's the joke.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Homebodies - 1954

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cathy - Feb 27+28 1977

Looked this up, apparently this was a real thing

From the link

quote:

Ever since 1975's killing frost in Brazil devastated world coffee supplies, the price of a caffeine fix has climbed steadily. It's become so bad that a consumers' group in New York City has organized a boycott against the bean. On CBC-TV's Take 30, Barbara Shand of the Consumers' Association of Canada says a coffee boycott isn't necessary in Canada. Coffee, as Shand points out, is not a nutritious part of any diet. And she doesn't believe anyone is deliberately ripping off Canadians. If Canadians decide that $3.75 a pound - the projected price in three months - is too much to pay, they should just stop buying coffee. That's why the consumers' association will not organize or support a mass boycott to try to drive down the price. Still, there's talk that a 30-cent cup in a restaurant could soon cost 50 cents.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 17, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 17, 1999)

This storyline must have gotten into my head without my realizing it, because last night I dreamed that I bought a boat, then forgot that I bought a boat. I went outside and it was in my yard and I was like "oh, poo poo, right, I bought a boat."

I have, to be clear, absolutely no use for a boat in my real life.

Garfield Classic (June 17, 1989)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It might be that huge, spear heads got big. Especially if you weren't concerned with the cost of it because you're a big proud lad of the king.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

who is Gomez talking to? it doesn’t look like uncle fester

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

who is Gomez talking to? it doesn’t look like uncle fester

That is the the male half of husband and wife Addams drew that he called the "wall-eyed couple". Presumably they are either relatives or friends of the family. From The Addams Family: An Evilution

quote:

During the fifties and sixties Addams was devoted to the original odd couple he called the "wall-eyed couple," referring to the husband; the wife was childlike, with a flat head and chopped hair. In 1964 Addams went so far as to give them a two-headed toddler, regarding whom Granny Frump naturally observed, "I think he looks a little like both of you."

Here is the comic mentioned:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

PainterofCrap posted:

Homebodies - 1954

Norm stole this bit for the Bob Saget roast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-9wo_apQ1s&t=228s

The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Still not a great look...

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

A+J is such a good comic.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jeremy's hand in the last panel is also not a great look

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Green Intern posted:

The only thing I remember about Chad Zits is there there was definitely a Older Brother's Shoe is Comically Large gag at least once.

Tauhid did this in A Problem Like Jamal and specifically called it out as an homage to Zits.

But later on it was used for a more powerful moment where Jamal is shown holding his brother's empty, regular size shoe when Jermaine is dead, shot by a cop while defending his mother.

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I fell like Curtis would get in trouble for watching a PG-13 movie without permission but then again they let him watch all this horror poo poo with his even younger brother

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks, with a repeat strip

Retail

Popular Comics

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If I was gonna write a storyarc where I needed a stand-in for the idea of "old innocent joke, impossible to misinterpret" with an eye on cancel culture I probably would avoid making that stand-in "species has characteristic".

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress Mark, worst main character in Rent.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

No, he doesn't. That's the joke.

Ah, ok then

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Kevin & Kell predicted the fish tube :eyepop:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Manuel Calavera posted:

gently caress Mark, worst main character in Rent.

RENT taught me that you can, in fact, get me to side with the gentrifying capitalist sell-out over the gang of bisexual commie bohemians IF the bisexual commie bohemians are extremely annoying AND - this is key- and the bisexual commie bohemians kill the dude's loving dog.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I saw RENT for the first time when I was 30ish, which meant my big takeaway was that they should be nicer to their parents.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cathy - Feb 27+28 1977

Thanks for posting these early Cathy strips. Curious to watch the shift from this self-destructive basket case to the neurotic everywoman Cathy was for most of the run. That second strip has something of the eventual Cathy personality, although the eventual Cathy would have delivered the punch line as an aside without losing her temper.

I went looking online for old Cathy collections and was shocked to find that many of them now sell for a very steep premium. Kind of wishing I hadn't Kondo'd my collection. I recently found one I'd missed, though, A Hand to Hold, an Opinion to Reject and it turns out to be roughly at the point I'd say Cathy shifted from fresh and different to a mostly phone-it-in quasi-legacy strip. At the ten year mark, which is about average for these things.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Anyone have that Hark a Vagrant strip with Javert meeting the cast of Rent?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 29, 1933)

Peanuts (February 20, 1974)

Harry Dinklebean, starring smartass kids who don't realize this jowly old geezer is a living legend, dammit.

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater: UM-PAH! (September 18, 1937)

Out Our Way (February 13-15, 1936)

Toonerville Gap-Pluggers: The first fruits of the Grand Unified Toonerville Database, because I found some panels from the Richmond (VA) Times-Dispatch that the NOLA paper skipped a long time ago, and at least two of them kind of missed their window.

(February 25, 1917)

(March 1, 1917)

(March 8, 1917)

Some of these might get tipped into the Times-Picayune further down the line, but there's not a snowball's chance in hell that a gag about armored cars and "food riots" is getting published after America enters the war. Call it a hunch. :shrug:

Dok's "That Gag Won't Milk Twice In A Row" Duck (June 16, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 17, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, imgur is acting up, so I won't be able to upload today as I hoped. All I can say is Moominmamma can pull off the hard-boiled look very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
all i could see

Only registered members can see post attachments!