Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Jackie Chan Adventures?

poo poo, where's my pencil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CPColin posted:

Release docking clamps, clear all moorings, steady as she goes

Oh my!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Season 7 starts with Voyager finding a stable wormhole, but they can’t tell the destination until they go through it. So they do... and end up behind Dominion lines in the Gamma quadrant. Season 7 is then all about Voyager trying to stay out of Dominion sight while also surreptitiously helping the war effort when possible.

voyager at that point has been so modified that it's unrecognizable as a federation vessel

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah there was a physical model used in the first three seasons, but they also used CG from day one. They could have done whatever they wanted with the ship without the valid production issues that damaging your super expensive physical model entails.

For the first three or four seasons they had a CG Voyager for shots that would be difficult with a studio model, but it was only able to be used when the ship was moving fast enough or unclear enough that you wouldn't see the lower quality; it wouldn't hold up to a clear simple establishing shot. Season four ish they built a high quality CG model and transitioned to it for any totally new stuff, but as mentioned existing stock footage and compositing stock passes into new shots were used until the end of the show to a huge amount.

Fun fact: there is exactly one CG shot of DS9 in the entire show, the very last one. They built the CG model for that one pullout.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 17, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

One thing that bothered me about Voyager was that the Kazon kept up with them for two seasons. Presumably, Voyager was going in essentially a straight line towards earth as fast as possible. So either the Kazon had way faster warp (in which case maybe Janeway should have acquired that tech), or they did nothing but follow Voyager. I get having recurring characters, but that just struck me as too lazy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Prototype- B'Elanna recovers an advanced robotic lifeform and reactivates it. This episode is hard to take seriously as the costumes for the robot race look extremely goofy and more appropriate for a show like Dr. Who. The episode goes into some Prime Directive stuff early on, but that gets thrown out the window when B'Elanna is forced at gunpoint to create a new prototype robot for the robot species or Voyager will be destroyed. I kept feeling like this was meant to be a big Prime Directive episode for Janeway and Torres, but because of how the episode is written that can't really happen. The robots were also not very sympathetic and later are revealed to have wiped out their creators so that they could continue their war against the other robots. Just a bland, mostly forgettable episode outside of the goofy robot costumes.
Ironically, Doctor Who had a story (The Robots of Death) with fantastic robot costumes that were both gorgeously designed (it was set in a decadent future society where everything had an Art Deco look) and creepy as gently caress - they hit the Uncanny Valley decades before the term was coined, and part of the story even hinged on how they were not-quite-human enough to freak people out. And this was on a budget only a fraction of a Voyager episode.

Then when Voyager did do a robot show, it looked more like something from the 70s Buck Rogers. Or Legion from Red Dwarf.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem with the temporal cold war is that by bringing it into the pilot the show is immediately trashing its own premise and telling the viewer 'we don't actually have enough ideas to work with the setting we've chosen'. It doesn't build confidence.

Having introduced the temporal cold war, they then needed to actually commit to it and keep on escalating to it, much as DS9 very slowly introduces the Dominion and the founders at the start and then rapidly scales up their centrality to the story. The final episode should not have been Riker in the holodeck, having started the show with Daniels and the temporal war, they needed to end the show with Daniels and some kind of All Good Things-esque race against time to make sure the founding of the Federation happens.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BonHair posted:

One thing that bothered me about Voyager was that the Kazon kept up with them for two seasons. Presumably, Voyager was going in essentially a straight line towards earth as fast as possible. So either the Kazon had way faster warp (in which case maybe Janeway should have acquired that tech), or they did nothing but follow Voyager. I get having recurring characters, but that just struck me as too lazy.

Voyager made a lot of stops

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Alchenar posted:

The problem with the temporal cold war is that by bringing it into the pilot the show is immediately trashing its own premise and telling the viewer 'we don't actually have enough ideas to work with the setting we've chosen'. It doesn't build confidence.

Yeah definitely. And I'm not laying all the blame on the showrunners of course, I know there were other factors. But you really can't throw that stuff in during the very first episode of what's supposed to be a prequel -- unless it also thematically links with the whole prequel concept to begin with. Like if they had to do that, they should've gone all the way with it. Hell, maybe even go ahead and do the Fat Riker thing right from the start. If that would've helped to keep both the producers and the audience focused on what the whole point of doing a prequel was, it might've been worthwhile.

The fact that they put time travel in a prequel and it didn't even connect to a time period anyone had a reason to care about was really something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Computer, what is the nature of the franchise?

Star Trek is a spheroid continuity 705 meters in diameter.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They also should have been able to just go 'gently caress these losers' and fly off at warp 9.5 or whatever any time they did turn up. Making Voyager a show about a ship with no wider obligations to the political situation of the region and also the antagonists a low tech failspecies was a really poorly thought out combination

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Even then, they're still flying in a straight line away from the Kazon. Either they are literally playing catch-up with Voyager for their tech and in the process abandoning their home for at least a year, or the plot doesn't work.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Voyager is their holy grail that if they can take it solves all their races problems.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

You (and a lot of other people here, I suspect) are going to hate me for saying this, but at this point I don't think we can really call Voyager or even Enterprise "modern-era" Trek any more. I loathe to call it "Berman-era", maybe just TNG+? But we're nearly as far away from the first episode of Enterprise as Encounter at Farpoint was away from The Man Trap.

Great, you just made me ponder the passage of time and remember that I'm divorced, single, unemployed and my main claim to fame as I rapidly approach my 37th birthday is having a deplorable excess of behind-the-scenes Trek knowledge. Thanks a lot, jerk.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sanguinia posted:

Jackie Chan Adventures?

That's just a really early Star Trek prequel

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Harry Potter also takes place in the Star Trek universe. They just hide the wizarding world from their sensors

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Well, the animated series did confirm that magic is real in Star Trek...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Satan is real. But so is Kukulkan and Jesus

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

You (and a lot of other people here, I suspect) are going to hate me for saying this, but at this point I don't think we can really call Voyager or even Enterprise "modern-era" Trek any more. I loathe to call it "Berman-era", maybe just TNG+? But we're nearly as far away from the first episode of Enterprise as Encounter at Farpoint was away from The Man Trap.

The Berman era of Star Trek ended when I was 16, but it still only seems like yesterday I was waiting for plot leaks and episode titles for Voyager and Enterprise.

“Carbon Creek? Wonder what that’s about” as I sip my vanilla coke and stare at my chunky Dell monitor.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

The Berman era of Star Trek ended when I was 16, but it still only seems like yesterday I was waiting for plot leaks and episode titles for Voyager and Enterprise.

“Carbon Creek? Wonder what that’s about” as I sip my vanilla coke and stare at my chunky Dell monitor.

I still have memories of TrekUnited, that hilarious scam that was supposedly going to crowdfund a fifth season of Enterprise. Hard to believe that poo poo was fifteen years ago.

Oh, poo poo, I just realized that I've been a mod / admin at Trek BBS for nineteen years. I truly have wasted my life.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

I still have memories of TrekUnited, that hilarious scam that was supposedly going to crowdfund a fifth season of Enterprise. Hard to believe that poo poo was fifteen years ago.

Oh, poo poo, I just realized that I've been a mod / admin at Trek BBS for nineteen years. I truly have wasted my life.
I have an account there as well but I rarely ever use it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ugh except I hate that people assume all of TNG is "90s" when the first three seasons started in the 80s, and Enterprise ran to 2005.

90s Trek started in the 80s and ended in the 00s, just like the 90s :colbert:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have an account there as well but I rarely ever use it

Probably for the best, as it is one of the deepest pits of Hell.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Anyone seen this game that came out on the first?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1126580/The_Captain_is_Dead/

It's based on a cooperative board game about taking over a spaceship in crisis and dealing with the various emergencies that follow, and had a stylized legally-distinct-from-Star-Trek vibe to it. Could scratch a bit of that retro space adventure itch.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Fly her apart, then!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

Anyone seen this game that came out on the first?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1126580/The_Captain_is_Dead/

It's based on a cooperative board game about taking over a spaceship in crisis and dealing with the various emergencies that follow, and had a stylized legally-distinct-from-Star-Trek vibe to it. Could scratch a bit of that retro space adventure itch.

Kind of looks like FTL, but in 3D.

Twenty bucks is a little steep for a blind buy, though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

skasion posted:

The 80s ended when Ronald Reagan left office, and the 90s didn't truly end until CRT monitors started disappearing en masse and it was no longer fashionable to make everything out of that translucent colored plastic -- say, 2004ish.

It's much like how what most people think of as "the 60s" really went from something like 1963 to 1974, although that one's before my time.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I think Voyager even states in the pilot that they're going to spend most of their time looking for a wormhole, or the Caretaker's ex-wife, or that planet the Maquis steal catapult tech from, or the Traveler, or Q, or a Kelvin or whatever to get home quicker.

From the Kazon perspective it would be like if in Final Countdown there was a Japanese admiral trying to seize the USS Nimitz because they could use it to win the war. If a Kazon takes Voyager they could easily conquer the other sects, so their territory no longer matters. If they get Voyager they can retake any lost territory and then some, if you stick to your territory and someone else gets Voyager then you'll quickly be overrun.

skasion posted:

It averages out to the 90s so the math checks out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Greatest Gen made me laugh out loud this week when they talked about the beginning of the pilot

"THE MAYQUEEZ SPEAK!"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Powered Descent posted:

The 80s ended when Ronald Reagan left office, and the 90s didn't truly end until CRT monitors started disappearing en masse and it was no longer fashionable to make everything out of that translucent colored plastic -- say, 2004ish.

It's much like how what most people think of as "the 60s" really went from something like 1963 to 1974, although that one's before my time.

Hell I’d argue the 2010s started in about 08 or so with the explosion of the iPhone. Which would make the 2000s about a 4 year undefined haze of indie rock, Bush fatigue, and Lost.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

HD DAD posted:

Hell I’d argue the 2010s started in about 08 or so with the explosion of the iPhone. Which would make the 2000s about a 4 year undefined haze of indie rock, Bush fatigue, and Lost.

That... sounds about right, actually. Mix in some Dubya and Iraq and we've just about covered it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

the 90's ended on 9/11

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Timby posted:

I mean, if it had come around a few years later when Kickstarter was a thing...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, if it had come around a few years later when Kickstarter was a thing...

It still wouldn't have happened, because there are about a thousand and one legal reasons preventing fans from producing their own seasons of television shows.

I remember the TrekUnited assholes, most notably the founder Tim Brazeal, boasting about how they had secured the services of a big-name, famous producer to shepherd the project ... and then they finally released his name, and it turned out to be some nobody former child actor in Canada, which turned out to be one of the last straws before all the air came out of the TrekUnited balloon. It was honestly hilarious to watch all that poo poo unfold in real time. That was probably the most ridiculous fan-related saga having to do with Trek ... until Axanar came along and showed everyone what a real clusterfuck looks like.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I knew Enterprise would abandon its premise completely by the end of the first episode when they suddenly had phaser weapons with the exact same audio and visual effects from Voyager

Like why even make a prequel if you're not even going to change that up

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Tighclops posted:

I knew Enterprise would abandon its premise completely by the end of the first episode when they suddenly had phaser weapons with the exact same audio and visual effects from Voyager

Like why even make a prequel if you're not even going to change that up

Remember when Enterprise had their first space battle and they were using these weird energy cannons that shot little red bolts and were kind of useless, and how they didn't even get all the way through Season 1 before they got standard Phasers and Photon Torpedos along with the Identical To Shield Armor Plating just so we could keep writing Space Battles the exact same way we always did?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sanguinia posted:

Remember when Enterprise had their first space battle and they were using these weird energy cannons that shot little red bolts and were kind of useless, and how they didn't even get all the way through Season 1 before they got standard Phasers and Photon Torpedos along with the Identical To Shield Armor Plating just so we could keep writing Space Battles the exact same way we always did?

Hull polarization is at 62 percent :suicide:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I bet you could really clean up in Star Trek by being the only species to use combat AI for ship to ship combat and making hundreds of attacks and position changes in the time it takes to say 'execute attack pattern omega-three'

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tunicate posted:

the 90's ended on 9/11

The 90s ended the last time someone said "its the 90s duh."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

multijoe posted:

I bet you could really clean up in Star Trek by being the only species to use combat AI for ship to ship combat and making hundreds of attacks and position changes in the time it takes to say 'execute attack pattern omega-three'

they've tried combat ai and it turns out heavily armed robots never work out