Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

I don't know, maybe as far as premiere voice actors go (I'm not well-versed in that world), but the game had Natalie Dormer, Gethin Anthony, Kumail Nanjiani, Indira Varma, and Clancy Brown in prominent roles, so I don't know if that argument holds water.

Add Gemma Whalen to that list too. Andromeda is chock full of Game of Thrones actors.

But yeah, I picked Sloan Kelly over Reyes almost purely on the power of Indira Varma’s charisma alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Android Blues posted:

Funniest thing about ME:A in retrospect is that it worships Elon Musk in that brief, not very distant period of history where it was considered widely acceptable to think Musk was essentially a superhero. The weirdest thing, given that, is that Liam's story about launching a car into space predates Musk actually doing this.

Horizon Zero Dawn came out three weeks before Andromeda and cast Elon Musk as the biggest idiot fucker in human history, they clearly made the right call on that one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Android Blues posted:

Funniest thing about ME:A in retrospect is that it worships Elon Musk in that brief, not very distant period of history where it was considered widely acceptable to think Musk was essentially a superhero. The weirdest thing, given that, is that Liam's story about launching a car into space predates Musk actually doing this.

Star Trek: Discovery made that mistake too, putting Musk on the same level as the Wright Brothers. It’s dumb as poo poo and they learned their lesson very quickly in that regard.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

nine-gear crow posted:

Add Gemma Whalen to that list too. Andromeda is chock full of Game of Thrones actors.

But yeah, I picked Sloan Kelly over Reyes almost purely on the power of Indira Varma’s charisma alone.

I picked Sloan because I read the book in which she demonstrated that she was the only competent person on the Nexus and basically got pushed out by a cadre of the dumbest and worst people the milky way had to offer.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Doctor Nutt posted:

I picked Sloan because I read the book in which she demonstrated that she was the only competent person on the Nexus and basically got pushed out by a cadre of the dumbest and worst people the milky way had to offer.

The issue is that she goes from that to "Boot on alien throat forever"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doctor Nutt posted:

Oh yeah, the game makes that ABUNDANTLY clear without supplementary material. Addison, Tann, and Garson were galaxy class morons, and Reyes is a two-faced backstabbing bastard. Kelly was at least up front about who and what she was and competent in comparison to the rest of the clown show.

Kurieg posted:

The issue is that she goes from that to "Boot on alien throat forever"

iirc, picking her over Reyes also miraculously cures her of (most of) her space fascist tendencies, because BIOWARE MAGIC!

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 17, 2021

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, there's a lot to pick on in regards to Andromeda, but voice acting isn't one of them, unless you're just looking for poo poo to complain about. I don't really follow VAs on a name-by-name basis, so not knowing who they are shouldn't really impact the quality. It's either good or it isn't, and most of the games voice over work is fine, with a few really good stand-outs like FemRyder.

okay you have to be trolling at this point, nobody in their right mind would defend "uhh riiiide?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOMPRy0AmnE&t=401s

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Moola posted:

okay you have to be trolling at this point, nobody in their right mind would defend "uhh riiiide?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOMPRy0AmnE&t=401s

lmao what the gently caress I'mtoo high for this poo poo right now

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

exquisite tea posted:

Not to mention that everyone moves around like a weird doll-eyed marionette in every scene.

Android Blues posted:

More damning than anything else is the fact that the writing is terrible.

the two main issues. like an amateur stage play rewrite of a hollywood movie.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I thought the Sara Ryder VO was pretty good actually!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

one thing that caught me off guard in Andromeda was that a decent chunk of squad banter when you're driving around gets hostile. like you'd go on a drive with liam and the turian and out of nowhere Liam would be like "I think that your relationship with your sister is really hosed up"

one of my lowkey fav thibgs about Andromeda is that most of the crew seems to find Liam super annoying. he is always doing this chipper boyscout thing and sticking his nose in other peoples' business moreso than other squadmates and they dont much care for it. if you bring along Liam, a lot of banter will turn into people sniping at each other. i started taking him along on missions just to hear people call him on his bullshit.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Doctor Nutt posted:

lmao what the gently caress I'mtoo high for this poo poo right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTgr41rlKRQ

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

denimgorilla posted:

I thought the Sara Ryder VO was pretty good actually!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTgr41rlKRQ

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Simone Magus posted:

, ugh, PeeBee (I hate even typing that stupid name)

type her full name then:

Pellasaria B'Sayle.

nope nevermind that's even worse.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

one of my lowkey fav thibgs about Andromeda is that most of the crew seems to find Liam super annoying. he is always doing this chipper boyscout thing and sticking his nose in other peoples' business moreso than other squadmates and they dont much care for it. if you bring along Liam, a lot of banter will turn into people sniping at each other. i started taking him along on missions just to hear people call him on his bullshit.

I tended to bench Liam unless I absolutely needed him because Liam’s a loving cop. That’s why nobody likes him.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

i hate making GBS threads on other people's work for pleasure, but i was having a crap day and all this andromeda nostalgia managed to put a smile on my face. :]

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I tended to bench Liam unless I absolutely needed him because Liam’s a loving cop. That’s why nobody likes him.

:hmmyes:

Rinkles posted:

i hate making GBS threads on other people's work for pleasure, but i was having a crap day and all this andromeda nostalgia managed to put a smile on my face. :]

I'm glad friend x

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

haha oh yah thats right he totally was. his schtick was he was a disillusioned cop who joined search and rescue or something

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

nine-gear crow posted:

Garrus was also a cop, and his whole ME1 paragon story with Shepard is Shepard telling him he should keep being a cop because playing by the rules is important.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

Garrus was also a cop, and his whole ME1 paragon story with Shepard is Shepard telling him he should keep being a cop because playing by the rules is important.

Garrus hated being a cop though, that’s the entire point.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sydin posted:

Garrus also immediately quits being a cop the second he crosses paths with Shepard and spends the entirety of ME1 complaining about how much being a cop sucks. I have played ME1 like 15 times now and done a paragon run every time, and I have never once completed the game with a paragon Garrus going back to C-SEC.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Pattonesque posted:

my favorite little detail about Sheen as TIM is that at one point they told him to read a line as if Shepard was backsassing him and he was like "oh they wouldn't dare"

Martin Sheen left nothing on the table as TIM and I’m 100% positive he did with a real cigarette and glass of whiskey.

He sounded like he had a blast being just evil as all hell.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Like a lot of MEA taken individually each part isn't really terrible just that it never rises above "okay." When there's nothing to offset the bad that inevitably happens when "okay" is the best you got the bad becomes all the more pronounced.

I think a fair amount of the voice acting in ME1 is average at best and more than occasionally pretty wooden and emotionless, not helped at all by the characters standing completely still unless they dipped into the Bioware stock animation library of 6 gestures. But, especially at the time, there was a lot of other really good stuff on top of it and occasionally the voice acting and direction got it together really well. I think the only time it ever dipped into laughable was when you brought Liara to kill her mother and in that moment it's mostly because of Sirtis.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
tbh I'm more hung up on the fact that the "good guy" option is is to tell the guy who clearly doesn't want to be a cop that no cops are actually cool and good - lmao 2007 - but yeah I know. Also even if you do send him back to C-Sec for some reason in ME2 he's quite again and his response if you ask him about it is "yeah I tried but honestly gently caress that noise."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Julius CSAR posted:

Martin Sheen left nothing on the table as TIM and I’m 100% positive he did with a real cigarette and glass of whiskey.

Quite a contrast to Oblivion where it's clear they had Stewart and Bean for like an hour each and neither was interested in doing poo poo but going into the booth, flatly reading their lines, and being handed their checks on the way out of the booth.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Your options with Garrus aren't "be a cop" and "ACAB" though. It's between be a cop where there's theoretically some oversight or go all Punisher and take the law into his own hands.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Sally posted:

type her full name then:

Pellasaria B'Sayle.

nope nevermind that's even worse.

Things they could have called her:

Pelly
Pella
Lasra
Lessy
Sari
Ria

Thing they chose to call her:
PeeBee

ME:A had no confidence in itself and was self-own after self-own

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

me right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfkts0u-m6w

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

Quite a contrast to Oblivion where it's clear they had Stewart and Bean for like an hour each and neither was interested in doing poo poo but going into the booth, flatly reading their lines, and being handed their checks on the way out of the booth.

About that https://www.thegamer.com/elder-scrolls-oblivion-voice-acting-was-so-weird-the-voice-actors-given-lines-alphabetically/

quote:

There's also a picture I have somewhere, like a little behind-the-scenes making of sort of thing, and it's a shot of a script which, I'd probably just come from Kinkos, like three in the morning, to print and put into binders and all this kind of thing. And we didn't have a good way to - at the time, to sort by, ‘These lines go good with this quest; these lines go with this quest.’ But in that picture with that script, if you look at it closely, you'll notice the lines are all alphabetical sorted. It was one of those things I just didn't think of at the time while putting the scripts together.”

quote:

“It's a wonder they didn't lose their minds, because it starts off, it's all ‘A’ sentences and you know, wait until you get to the ‘Hello’s’ and the ‘Hi’s.’ There's pages like, ‘Hi, how are you?’ ‘Hi.’ ‘Hello.’ ‘Hello. ‘Hi.’ ‘How....’ ‘How….’ ‘How….’ You know, all while trying to maintain this character that they're supposed to fight.”

This is at least “charming” Bethesda jankiness.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Julius CSAR posted:

From the look of it, basically everyone involved in voice acting for Mass Effect had an absolute blast playing their characters and loved doing what they did for the series.

The lone exception seems to be Marina Sirtis, not because she hated it or anything, but because she literally did not remember voicing Benezia apparently, and there’s video out there of her answering a fan question at a convention and just going “I’m sure it’s important to you, but I don’t remember doing it, and I honestly don’t give a poo poo. Sorry.”

Because Marina Sirtis is awesome.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
The worst voice acting in andromeda was the flashback when ryders mum is all ‘twin one... twin two... u gotta be cool... forever.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

From the look of it, basically everyone involved in voice acting for Mass Effect had an absolute blast playing their characters and loved doing what they did for the series.

The lone exception seems to be Marina Sirtis, not because she hated it or anything, but because she literally did not remember voicing Benezia apparently, and there’s video out there of her answering a fan question at a convention and just going “I’m sure it’s important to you, but I don’t remember doing it, and I honestly don’t give a poo poo. Sorry.”

Because Marina Sirtis is awesome.

She had like 10 lines, right?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Pattonesque posted:

Things they could have called her:

Pelly
Pella
Lasra
Lessy
Sari
Ria

Thing they chose to call her:
PeeBee

ME:A had no confidence in itself and was self-own after self-own

Peebs

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

More or less. It seems like she’s in the game much longer than she is because people constantly talk about her, but yeah she has two scenes in the game: her intro after Eden Prime, and her boss fight on Noveria where she dies.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Soylent Pudding posted:

Your options with Garrus aren't "be a cop" and "ACAB" though. It's between be a cop where there's theoretically some oversight or go all Punisher and take the law into his own hands.

Yeah, I mean if we want to be real about it, he doesn't like being a cop because whenever he brutalizes or shoots a suspect, he gets in trouble and his dad has to bail him out.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Did they do it this way even for the big name actors who voiced main quest characters like Stewart and Bean, or is this just for the people who were voicing characters that needed to have radiant dialogue? Either way :lol:

hobbesmaster posted:

She tells Saren somebody accessed the Eden Prime beacon, she gloats at Shepard about how awesome her commando squad is, she grunts a lot when you shoot her, and then she has a couple dying lines that get expanded a bit if Liara is in your party at time. It's not quite ten but yeah they probably had her finish recording in an hour or two tops.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Olanphonia posted:

Yeah, I mean if we want to be real about it, he doesn't like being a cop because whenever he brutalizes or shoots a suspect, he gets in trouble and his dad has to bail him out.

Also, Archangel is him just going to Crime Station in a quest to kill all the criminals the C-Sec rules forbade him to extrajudicially murder. Garrus is cool but the ethical questions posed by his character arc in ME1 and ME2 have the sophistication of an action movie from 1978.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

He's a man on the edge with nothing to lose!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Was Marina Sirtis the one who played Beneziah? I thought her voice acting was probably my least favorite of all four games. "They always said there'd be....a liiight!" It's really bad.

And for Andromeda, I loving loved most of the Nomad-Banter. Especially Vetra and Drack. I also like how Drack was less of a "hard guy with gooey inside" and just more of a straight up Bro. Him and Jaal together on Jaal's loyalty mission are such a loving treat to see bouncing off one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Was Marina Sirtis the one who played Beneziah? I thought her voice acting was probably my least favorite of all four games. "They always said there'd be....a liiight!" It's really bad.

And for Andromeda, I loving loved most of the Nomad-Banter. Especially Vetra and Drack. I also like how Drack was less of a "hard guy with gooey inside" and just more of a straight up Bro. Him and Jaal together on Jaal's loyalty mission are such a loving treat to see bouncing off one another.

Vetra, Drack and Jaal were pretty good characters and their banter was typically solid, especially Vetra and Drack's conversations about family. Best writing in Andromeda, probably, which isn't a high bar sadly.