Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
L'Arrivée d'un train en gare de La Ciotat tells a complete story in under a minute so don’t give me that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

This weird "Spielberg invented modern film." opinion is one of those ever present popular online theories that just kind of propagated out of people repeating what they heard elsewhere, but a few months in filmschool or having watched more than a handful of pre-70s films easily disprove it.
He's massively influential but the extent of his influence is absurdly overstated.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I invented modern film.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Of course everyone hates those old Bond films starring that no-name Sean Connery.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

L'Arrivée d'un train en gare de La Ciotat tells a complete story in under a minute so don’t give me that poo poo

Yeah, but the title gives away the ending.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Breetai posted:

Iirc I saw one aew match where one of the wrestlers was in drag and their move on a downed opponent was to do a rupaul style death drop on their head which was amazing.

That was probably Sonny Kiss! They are absolutely amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVdWm_4Rffk

Also, in regards to Rush Limbaugh, yup, there's plenty of "RESPECT THE DEAD" crap going around. Of course, it was quickly pointed out that Rush Limbaugh had a (short-running, apparently) segment called "AIDS Update" where he would crack jokes about folks that had died from AIDS that day/week/whatever.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm the guy who thinks It's a Wonderful Life is OK but if they could just squeeze it down to 90 minutes and add a comeuppance scene for Potter it'd be truly great

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Picnic Princess posted:

The "you have to be respectful when someone dies" crowd is out in full force whining about how awful it is that anyone would be happy about it

Anyone who says anything nice about Rush Limbaugh is also a garbage human being. The absolutely nicest thing you are allowed to say about him is, I saw something from a rabbi and to paraphrase "I never celebrate anyone's death, but there's certainly some I don't mourn."

Or after Margaret Thatcher's death there was Comedian Sean Lock said "some people are throwing parties, I'm not. Just a couple of drinks and some snacks with friends"

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Skwirl posted:

Anyone who says anything nice about Rush Limbaugh is also a garbage human being. The absolutely nicest thing you are allowed to say about him is, I saw something from a rabbi and to paraphrase "I never celebrate anyone's death, but there's certainly some I don't mourn."

Or after Margaret Thatcher's death there was Comedian Sean Lock said "some people are throwing parties, I'm not. Just a couple of drinks and some snacks with friends"

There's also an alleged quote from Bette Davis going around (originally about Joan Crawford); "You should never say bad things about the dead, only good… [Rush Limbaugh] is dead. Good.” Ouch!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Admiralty Flag posted:

I'm the guy who thinks It's a Wonderful Life is OK but if they could just squeeze it down to 90 minutes and add a comeuppance scene for Potter it'd be truly great

I feel like you're being sarcastic but It's a Wonderful Life is one of the worst paced movies I've ever seen. The basic plot of the movie that everyone remembers doesn't actually start happening until an hour into the run time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Isn't A Wonderful Life only a thing because it bombed super hard and the tv rights were real cheap?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
LOL that Texas mayor who said "only the strong will survive and the weak will perish" resigned over the (rightfully deserved) backlash. What a dingus.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuY5XwBXYAMGqR6?format=jpg&name=medium

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Len posted:

Isn't A Wonderful Life only a thing because it bombed super hard and the tv rights were real cheap?

Yep. Same with A Christmas Story

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

cage-free egghead posted:

LOL that Texas mayor who said "only the strong will survive and the weak will perish" resigned over the (rightfully deserved) backlash. What a dingus.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuY5XwBXYAMGqR6?format=jpg&name=medium

i think you'll find it was "parish"

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
With Rush Limbaugh gone, what'd happen to his radio empire of hate? Just goes on with a new younger person, except not as openly racist?

edit: content

In response to a trailer of a Cruella live-action movie

toanoradian has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Feb 18, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nah, more

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Regy Rusty posted:

What answer was the teacher expecting to that question

cait sith

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah that person is on to something

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/countchrisdo/status/1362227606117117952?s=21

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Idiot restaurant chains on social media

https://twitter.com/spotburgers/status/1362151921058996224?s=21

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Worth noting that the business owner is not white.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Worth noting that the business owner is not white.

Ok. They’re still an idiot

https://twitter.com/spotburgers/status/1362131490939621377?s=21

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
https://twitter.com/Spotburgers/status/1362187637675679744

yeah uh, did they... is this a gimmick or did they get hacked or is their social media idiot trying to retire or what

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

https://twitter.com/Spotburgers/status/1362187637675679744

yeah uh, did they... is this a gimmick or did they get hacked or is their social media idiot trying to retire or what

It’s not a burger chain. Looks like it’s just a single location so I’m guessing it’s just the owner’s personal account and they....have opinions

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

toanoradian posted:

With Rush Limbaugh gone, what'd happen to his radio empire of hate? Just goes on with a new younger person, except not as openly racist?

edit: content

In response to a trailer of a Cruella live-action movie

I love Emma Stone, but I'd much rather watch her in something that wasn't the origin story of a woman that tried to make a coat by skinning 99 puppies.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah my guess it's a conservative and outspoken Asian guy who's idea of poo poo talking is saying racist poo poo that would get a white guy's teeth kicked in, but they've always gotten away with it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Skwirl posted:

I love Emma Stone, but I'd much rather watch her in something that wasn't the origin story of a woman that tried to make a coat by skinning 99 puppies.

Whereas I would watch the backstory that leads to a woman making the conscious decision to skin 99 puppies to make a coat, but I suspect Disney aren't actually making that movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Whereas I would watch the backstory that leads to a woman making the conscious decision to skin 99 puppies to make a coat, but I suspect Disney aren't actually making that movie.

I do wanna see what happens when kids watch "Cruella" a bunch and then see "101 Dalmatians" for the first time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/SAMOYEDCORE/status/1362253938259423237

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I just... what?

That dumbass guy calling Citizen Kane hieroglyphics, but this is supposed to be understandable.

Does that first guy think Nancy Pelosi is a leftist?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Silly Burrito posted:

Yeah go ask some frozen people now who haven't had power or had pipes burst and see how well that goes over.

They called every single person who had lost power and were outside of cell phone coverage. Not a single complaint.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's someone being an idiot, and it's on social media.

https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1362268760023977991?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

It's someone being an idiot, and it's on social media.

https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1362268760023977991?s=20

Hey, Joe Biden, you wanna make sure Texas goes blue next election, send everyone in the state a check for $2000.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Comedies can age better than serious drama, if their jokes aren't racist/sexist/whatever?

https://www.theonion.com/todays-audiences-just-dont-get-me-1819584335

The Onion always has a good counterpoint.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

captainOrbital posted:

Just alone for The Sting and Cool Hand Luke the guy's a ding dong

1940's version of Zorro with Rock Hudson and Basil Rathbone. It's even got a good fight scene if the rest of it is too complicated for him!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Stagecoach is another pre-70s movie that's simple to understand. Just a bunch of strangers trying to get from point A to point B without getting killed by Apaches

See, the reason you probably don't want to watch Stagecoach is that it's racist as hell

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Dynastocles posted:

Get a load of the guy who's never seen The Manchurian Candidate, Seconds, The French Connection, or any of Alfred Hitchcock's films.

I have, but let me rephrase it to slower, more rigid, and less stimulating then, because the point wasn't that all films pre-1975 are bad, they're just different and I can see why some people struggle to enjoy them if their exposure is primarily the last 10, 30, or even 50 years of film. Its like how Little Richard songs now seem like they're at moderate tempo because fast music now is speed metal and chipmunk-electronica.

As for Spielberg, rarely is a new style made up from whole cloth. Trends and quirks bubble up from different creatives, and someone comes along and syncs them together in such a way that it becomes the template others are copying. Maybe he doesn't deserve credit for defining modern cinema, but he deserves credit for putting a stake through the heart of meandering, bloated New Hollywood garbage films for which we should all be grateful.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Len posted:

That and the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka. Both had big-name celebrities and were dirt cheap to license because they were box office duds.

Probably why movies like Proof of Life and 50 First Dates were always on when I had cable. (I also remember seeing the last half hour of Fight Club probably a dozen times before I decided to actually sit down and watch the whole thing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

That and the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka. Both had big-name celebrities and were dirt cheap to license because they were box office duds.

Probably why movies like Proof of Life and 50 First Dates were always on when I had cable. (I also remember seeing the last half hour of Fight Club probably a dozen times before I decided to actually sit down and watch the whole thing.)

Proof of Life is a fantastic fun movie.