Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tunicate posted:

they've tried combat ai and it turns out heavily armed robots never work out

I suspect there is a middle ground between "no AI" and "I DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR HUMAN EMOTION CALLED LOVE, THEREFORE I WILL EXTERMINATE ALL LIFE" when it comes to predictive analysis and response by a smart system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
anyone know where I can get several litres of edible green body paint

asking for a friend

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rigellian whiskey sours

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Sash! posted:

I suspect there is a middle ground between "no AI" and "I DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR HUMAN EMOTION CALLED LOVE, THEREFORE I WILL EXTERMINATE ALL LIFE" when it comes to predictive analysis and response by a smart system.

You'd think, but if there's one thing Star Trek has proven conclusively in its AI Fiction its that such middle ground absolutely does not exist.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Powered Descent posted:

Rigellian whiskey sours

Aldebaran whiskey. Rigellian brandy.

Tsk tsk.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

multijoe posted:

I bet you could really clean up in Star Trek by being the only species to use combat AI for ship to ship combat and making hundreds of attacks and position changes in the time it takes to say 'execute attack pattern omega-three'
The Prometheus had an AI system, but that was literally only one episode. You'd till have to know all off the manoeuvres off the top of your head if you wanted the hip to do the right one, in which case might as well let it make its own decisions.

I vaguely remember reading there was an old TOS book where Kirk was getting advice from a mysterious stranger and it turned out the Enterprise's rec room AI had become sentient. Kirk just shrugged and told it to keep that on the down low.

Powered Descent posted:

Rigellian whiskey sours

Romulan whiskey sours, you'd think it'd be green, but they're blue...

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
They also had that computer system that controlled 3 Constitution classes and they all turned evil and kirk defeated them by, some technobabble, it has been a while.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BonHair posted:

Even then, they're still flying in a straight line away from the Kazon. Either they are literally playing catch-up with Voyager for their tech and in the process abandoning their home for at least a year, or the plot doesn't work.

look, they have the ability to travel a couple thousand light years but they just can't find one single comet in all that space to melt and drink, okay?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

I vaguely remember reading there was an old TOS book where Kirk was getting advice from a mysterious stranger and it turned out the Enterprise's rec room AI had become sentient. Kirk just shrugged and told it to keep that on the down low.

They had one of those on seaQuest, where you got to talk to an old man who lived in a fog machine!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

At least the 'Kazon don't have water' poo poo doesn't appear to come up again after the pilot. At least that has been the case so far with the Kazon in my rewatch (I am a little over halfway through Season 2).

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Axe-man posted:

They also had that computer system that controlled 3 Constitution classes and they all turned evil and kirk defeated them by, some technobabble, it has been a while.

The computer system was controlling the Enterprise and during a war game simulation with 4 other Constitution class ships it decided to play for keeps, killing the entire crew on one of the ships, under the auspices of "protecting itself". So Kirk just goes "yeah you just straight-up committed mass murder and you know what the penalty is for that, right?" and the computer commits suicide.

Despite this incident Richard Daystrom (who built the M-5 unit) still has an institute named after him in the future of the Star Trek timeline so either it was hushed up or he did something later to atone, or they just figured the nervous breakdown he had was enough.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

The computer system was controlling the Enterprise and during a war game simulation with 4 other Constitution class ships it decided to play for keeps, killing the entire crew on one of the ships, under the auspices of "protecting itself". So Kirk just goes "yeah you just straight-up committed mass murder and you know what the penalty is for that, right?" and the computer commits suicide.

Despite this incident Richard Daystrom (who built the M-5 unit) still has an institute named after him in the future of the Star Trek timeline so either it was hushed up or he did something later to atone, or they just figured the nervous breakdown he had was enough.

I just assumed that the Daystrom Institute / the Daystrom Prize was like a parallel to the Nobel Prize; Alfred Nobel didn't want to be remembered as the guy who invented dynamite, a substance that had killed thousands of people by the time he was nearing the end of his life, so he set up a foundation to recognize and reward great humanitarian and peaceful achievements and slapped his name on it to rehab his image and it more or less worked.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I couldn't believe how common the 'Kirk logics a computer to death' trope actually was when I did a TOS watch through last year

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I couldn't believe how common the 'Kirk logics a computer to death' trope actually was when I did a TOS watch through last year

Evil Computer is one of the OG Trek plots, right next to Evil Crewmember and Evil God

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I mean in the original series and even movies, they kill or defeat a god like 5 times total?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah that also comes up a lot. Defeating some God-like being.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's because they had a bunch of Greek or Roman props from other movies/shows being filmed in their studios.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Axe-man posted:

I mean in the original series and even movies, they kill or defeat a god like 5 times total?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I made this for SCI-FI WI-FI and it made all the lovely nerds there mad

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I would argue that Voyage Home doesn’t really have a villain, other than the ticking clock and humanity’s own ignorance about conservation.

Also the garbage direction and the horribly dated soundtrack.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I would argue that Voyage Home doesn’t really have a villain, other than the ticking clock and humanity’s own ignorance about conservation.

Also the garbage direction and the horribly dated soundtrack.

It's still counts as a superweapon.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Transparent aluminum.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shouldn't First Contact be in the 'bad guy wants revenge' category? What superweapon was in that movie?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

It's still counts as a superweapon.

Its not a weapon, its just a noisy stereo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Shouldn't First Contact be in the 'bad guy wants revenge' category? What superweapon was in that movie?
The bad guy in that film is the Borg, I reckon. Alternately, Steppenwolf was the superweapon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I guess technically FC is the Borg Queen trying to get revenge for failing to assimilate Earth during Best of Both Worlds

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I would also argue that Soren in Generations doesn’t want revenge. He wants to return to the Nexus, that’s his only motivation. He doesn’t care who’s standing in his way, it’s all about just getting back.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I would also argue that Soren in Generations doesn’t want revenge. He wants to return to the Nexus, that’s his only motivation. He doesn’t care who’s standing in his way, it’s all about just getting back.

He's angry at and wants revenge on time itself.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also I guess Insurrection can actually go in the middle segment because that thing Ru'afo has to gently caress up the planet's rings will also make the planet uninhabitable and kill all the Ba'ku who are still down there, so I guess that counts as a superweapon.

look it was a very hastily assembled list okay

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow posted:

He's angry at and wants revenge on time itself.

If i was in insurrection, I would be pretty mad too, it wasn't even a good standard fare TNG episode.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

nine-gear crow posted:

I made this for SCI-FI WI-FI and it made all the lovely nerds there mad

I wouldn't call Chang's bird of prey from Undiscovered Country a "superweapon". I mean, it's got a very effective new development in cloaking tech, but it still shoots regular-rear end photon torpedoes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

I wouldn't call Chang's bird of prey from Undiscovered Country a "superweapon". I mean, it's got a very effective new development in cloaking tech, but it still shoots regular-rear end photon torpedoes.
It was a huge threat and closer to a superweapon than not

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Certainly closer to a superweapon than V'Ger and the whale probe.

e: take care

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It. Worfs.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I started watching ST:Enterprise after a friend basically told me I have to... This is a drat good show.

Like, I think I love this show. I finished season 1 in a few days, and basically everything about it just clicks for me. It's hard to pinpoint what it is, but the tech being less useful and refined brings a little bit of grunt work to the scenes, the sense of mystery is greater due to limited information. poo poo goes wrong in a different way from almost any other Trek. A lot of things aren't very convenient, and good plans have to take the reins instead of overwhelming technology; that's dope. Great camera work and sets as well.

The characters are entirely likeable and unpredictable for me too. I love Trip and his hard workin' good ol' boy schtick. Phlox is hilarious, charming, and delightful, love his voice. Archer is stubborn like an American but smart like a Canadian. loving Jeffrey Combs plays a few parts too and he plays them so well it's disgusting (Indeed, there's so many Trek actors playing different parts, I bet there's a bunch I missed without reading credits.). I have really taken a shine to Malcom and Trip's love/hate relationship. T'Pol is a Vulcan. She's gonna have a big arc I can sense it starting already.

I mostly lurk this thread and the forums anymore but Jesus christ I just need to gush about this. Sorry I slept on this poo poo for so long. gently caress you and thank you for reading.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

down1nit posted:

I started watching ST:Enterprise...
...The characters are entirely likeable ...

All joking aside I'm happy you've found something you enjoy.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

It has outsized, unique capabilities that fundamentally challenged the balance of power. Sounds superweapony to me.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

8one6 posted:

All joking aside I'm happy you've found something you enjoy.

Thanks. Mayweather is also there.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

down1nit posted:

I started watching ST:Enterprise after a friend basically told me I have to... This is a drat good show.

Like, I think I love this show. I finished season 1 in a few days, and basically everything about it just clicks for me. It's hard to pinpoint what it is, but the tech being less useful and refined brings a little bit of grunt work to the scenes, the sense of mystery is greater due to limited information. poo poo goes wrong in a different way from almost any other Trek. A lot of things aren't very convenient, and good plans have to take the reins instead of overwhelming technology; that's dope. Great camera work and sets as well.

The characters are entirely likeable and unpredictable for me too. I love Trip and his hard workin' good ol' boy schtick. Phlox is hilarious, charming, and delightful, love his voice. Archer is stubborn like an American but smart like a Canadian. loving Jeffrey Combs plays a few parts too and he plays them so well it's disgusting (Indeed, there's so many Trek actors playing different parts, I bet there's a bunch I missed without reading credits.). I have really taken a shine to Malcom and Trip's love/hate relationship. T'Pol is a Vulcan. She's gonna have a big arc I can sense it starting already.

I mostly lurk this thread and the forums anymore but Jesus christ I just need to gush about this. Sorry I slept on this poo poo for so long. gently caress you and thank you for reading.

Yesss, finally there’s two Enterprise defenders in this thread. Wait till you get to seasons 3 and especially 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I also think that Enterprise is fun and good. Don't take it super seriously and try to have fun. People like to get upset about how things go in the last two seasons, but if you just sit back and enjoy the ride, it's pretty nice.