Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeesh that price.

When I said I wasn’t concerned about price I assumed my options weren’t gonna come with 4-figure price tag.

Is a standard office chair gonna be the better way for me to go comfort-wise over an ugly gamer chair? My understanding was that office chairs are for sitting upright and doing actual work in for long periods of time, while “gamer chairs” are for general lounging/reclining/vegging out in front of a TV/video game/laptop for long periods. Is that wrong?

It's a really nice chair, I've seen them pop up on Craigslist and the like every now and then for much less. I went on a chair trying out spree a few years ago and the Freedom was the one that I liked the most but the headrest kept digging into my shoulders (I'm 6' tall) so I ended up going with something else.

I just wanted to add that "gamer chairs" are all overpriced garbage chairs and you should stay away from them. You'd be way better off buying a lazboy for lounging in front of the TV.

Whitest Russian fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

That Freedom chair is one that really needs to be sat in before committing. I've found that Aeron's usually agree with most people but that Freedom is more polarizing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
if you wanna buy something under $250 without a decade of farts in it I've been a fan of these dudes.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
Super pleased with my highback SitOnIt Wit w/ arms, $215 shipped with a 5 year warranty. https://shop.sitonit.net/collections/wit-task-chair.html

Apparently it's from the same parent company that owns EON and some other Tier 2 chairmakers

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Yerok posted:

You can pretty easily get like 40% off msrp on any HM stuff by going through the certified dealer list and sending some emails

Does this apply to Steelcase, too?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Zarin posted:

If I may ask: why leather? I have sworn off faux leather because of how it breaks down and flakes off. (Real leather, if course, does not have that issue)

I really really like leather. Fabric kind of annoys me for some reason, although I suppose I could overlook it if the rest of the chair is nice enough.

Rexxed posted:

Gamer chairs are just cheap chairs made to look like racing chairs for cars. Some are made from quality stuff but most of them aren't good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yhc6mmdJC4

Thank you for posting this! I can now officially cross all gamer chairs off my list, unless it’s something not-completely-lovely like that Titan somebody mentioned a few posts ago (which, looking at the specs on the manufacturer’s website, is apparently too tall for me. I am a short motherfucker, you see).

Rexxed posted:

I think the Ikea Markus is often recommended for being decent but not too pricey (around $200) but it's not all leather, there's some mesh.

I literally already bought a Markus years ago for college. It was kinda sorta cool when I got it, but the novelty wore off fast and now I loving hate it.

Rexxed posted:

I'd still suggest going to a store to sit on the chairs before you buy them, although that is a challenge during a pandemic.

I’ve been wanting to go out and sit my rear end in some chairs since at least last week, but I am stuck inside my house due to winter weather and will probably be forced to stay that way for at least another 2 or 3 days.

Until then I’ve been looking at the Embody on the Herman Miller website and trying to figure out if I can frankenstein some after-market leather upholstery onto it. They also make a “gaming” edition with extra padding that’s caught my eye. I can’t say I’m a fan of how they look (I loving despise postmodern/minimalist/“space age” design poo poo), but I know that comfort matters more than looks in an office chair. Plus I really liked all the Aerons I’ve sat in and a higher-backed version of that is tempting.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 18, 2021

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/AptTherapy/status/1362315615717875719

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looks like no seat depth adjustment, arms that only height adjust, no moveable lumbar etc. Just a Markus v2 isn't it?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

Looks like no seat depth adjustment, arms that only height adjust, no moveable lumbar etc. Just a Markus v2 isn't it?

Yeah it looks like a nicer Markus. Which I guess in and of itself is pretty nice.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah it looks like a nicer Markus. Which I guess in and of itself is pretty nice.

lol no it’s not. Markuses are loving dogshit, like all Ikea products

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Ikea already has the Jarvfjallet as the Markus v2, this new one is targeting a lower price though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I. M. Gei posted:

I loved my Markus, only thing I wanted was adjustable arms really.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Does this apply to Steelcase, too?

Not sure, I imagine the refurb deals Crandall and others do on the leap wouldn't be as popular if you could get the same level of discount so maybe not?

From what I gather the commercial office furniture dealers are shooting for roughly 30% above cost on sales so it's still worth going through the list of dealers and seeing if anyone will direct order you a discounted chair. Even with limited supply and three week lead times on HM stuff I had no issue finding someone to cut me a deal.

jess
May 26, 2005

you fit into me
like a hook into an eye

a fish hook
an open eye

I'm late to the Humanscale discussion, but my boyfriend bought one about a month ago and he loves it. He uses it for both work and gaming and he says reclining in it is super comfortable (especially compared to the lovely racecar gaming chair it replaced).

The only drawbacks are that the arms are relatively low, it takes a while to ship out and the price tag is high, but it has a 15-year warranty so he feels that the price is worth it for a "forever" chair.

Re: the Gesture I bought, it's being returned this week. It was a failed experiment and I'm not sure how anyone can feel comfortable sitting in it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

jess posted:

I'm late to the Humanscale discussion, but my boyfriend bought one about a month ago and he loves it. He uses it for both work and gaming and he says reclining in it is super comfortable (especially compared to the lovely racecar gaming chair it replaced).

The only drawbacks are that the arms are relatively low, it takes a while to ship out and the price tag is high, but it has a 15-year warranty so he feels that the price is worth it for a "forever" chair.

Re: the Gesture I bought, it's being returned this week. It was a failed experiment and I'm not sure how anyone can feel comfortable sitting in it.

Gesture rules. Embody drools. Freedom is alright. I have spoken anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong and broken or alternatively sits differently and/or has a different body than me. The issue is even if you try them in the store you won't really know for sure until you have a nice long sit and even then there's so much you can fiddle with you can wonder if your settings are just wrong.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

nahhhh

if they were, I wouldn't have spent $100 over MSRP to buy a new one from an eBay reseller (to replace my old one of 7 years) because none of the Ikeas in SoCal had the Glose black one in stock at the time

it's a great chair for my weird long body

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Duck and Cover posted:

Gesture rules. Embody drools. Freedom is alright. I have spoken anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong and broken or alternatively sits differently and/or has a different body than me. The issue is even if you try them in the store you won't really know for sure until you have a nice long sit and even then there's so much you can fiddle with you can wonder if your settings are just wrong.

yeah, i went with a gesture on sale kind of blind and while i don't think i regret this purchase much, i don't think i would have gotten it if i had been able to try it out first. definitely have the same problem someone else described of it constantly feeling like you're being tilted out of the chair - i find i struggle to keep my feet planted on the ground like i normally would because of it, no matter how much i adjust the seat pan depth :( (like, all the pressure goes to my legs in a really awkward way because of how far "forward" i feel, so i end up kinda hovering my feet just to relieve pressure on them - not really a height problem, or a footrest-solvable problem, i don't think)

that said, it's doing me okay for the pandemic and i think i might be able to sell it and recoup a lot of its value, since there's high demand here in nyc (hopefully will still be post pandemic as well). will only bother selling it if i can actually find a chair i like more anyways

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cross-Section posted:

nahhhh

if they were, I wouldn't have spent $100 over MSRP to buy a new one from an eBay reseller (to replace my old one of 7 years) because none of the Ikeas in SoCal had the Glose black one in stock at the time

it's a great chair for my weird long body

I had one for a long time. Do me a favor and add some sort of lumbar support to it. Trust me.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I’m 6’5”, 230-250ish (up and down during the pandemic) and was all set to splurge on a Steelcase Gesture with headrest and lumbar support in a lesser Canadian market, but just started to feel guilty about the 1800 all-in (waiting for our local dealer to try and beat the website price, other dealers won’t ship to my area).

Local used options include 250-400 Leap v1s, 400-500 v2s, and a 975 V2 Plus (I think this is more for heavy than tall).

Any last minute guidance on the relative cost-benefit analysis or talking me in and out of headrest/lumbar on the Gesture given height? Thanks goons!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Aside from attempting to talk you out of the Gesture altogether :v: no, not really!

I think that on the chairs that offer it, you really can't go wrong with a headrest or a lumbar support.

Have you sat in a Gesture before? It was the seat pan (angle) that really kinda did me in on it.

I'm only mostly busting chops here; while the Gesture was not the chair for me, I understand how and why that is. I also recognize that for a great many people, it's a fantastic chair! So if you've done the research and sat in it before, then good for you!

Hopefully the dealer can get you a better price! As for the sticker shock, if you can afford it . . . at 1800, that's about 120 a year assuming the 15-year warranty someone said it had above. Regardless, if it's reasonably well cared-for, I expect you can probably get more than 15 years out of it, so in the long run your Total Cost of Ownership should certainly be lower than if you were buying cheap chairs more frequently. That, and your body will thank you for sitting in something well-built for 15 years instead of cycling between new to failing chairs.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Coredump posted:

I had one for a long time. Do me a favor and add some sort of lumbar support to it. Trust me.

That's one of the things they addressed with the Jarvfjallet upgrade so Ikea is aware of the issue.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is it at all possible to get a fully-loaded Herman Miller Embody or Steelcase Leap brand new for less than $1000?

My credit is pissawful (and I won’t be in a position to fix it for at least the next couple years) and my only two real credit cards only have a $200 spending limit on each of them.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 22, 2021

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I believe Steelcase and Herman Miller have 15% off sales during spring every year. Dunno if you are able to get an Embody for <$1k though.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

Is it at all possible to get a fully-loaded Herman Miller Embody or Steelcase Leap brand new for less than $1000?

My credit is pissawful (and I won’t be in a position to fix it for at least the next couple years) and my only two real credit cards only have a $200 spending limit on each of them.

You can try these guys:

https://www.hermanmiller.com/where-to-buy/contact-a-dealer/The%20Sheridan%20Group%20-%20Los%20Angeles/001i000000IhaCFAAZ/

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I ran by Office Max and sat in a few chairs, and these are the ones that were the most comfortable.

- Serta iComfort i5000 Big & Tall Executive (felt okay when I reclined in it, but the lumbar pushed into my back a bit whenever I sat upright)
- Serta Smart Layers Hensley Executive Big & Tall
- Shaq Amphion High-Back Executive

So...... I don’t know if y’all know anything about any of those chairs, but maybe this tells you something about what other chairs I might like/hate? Or are any of them any good, long term?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I. M. Gei posted:

I ran by Office Max and sat in a few chairs, and these are the ones that were the most comfortable.

- Serta iComfort i5000 Big & Tall Executive (felt okay when I reclined in it, but the lumbar pushed into my back a bit whenever I sat upright)

So...... I don’t know if y’all know anything about any of those chairs, but maybe this tells you something about what other chairs I might like/hate? Or are any of them any good, long term?

All bonded leather will flake apart eventually, it's not full leather, it's glued together scraps and vinyl. This is the only bonded leather chair I've made the mistake of buying and this started happening after about one year:

I still have it because I plan to scrape all the flaking bits off and cover it so it can still be an extra chair whenever I get around to it, since it's still comfortable to sit in, you just get up with flakey bits of whatever on you now. It holds parts for current projects in the meantime.

Besides saying that you should not buy bonded leather for longevity, the cushioning in the Serta chairs is likely to be memory foam and I do really like my tempurpedic chair from Staples which is also memory foam. It's cloth instead of leather, though, and has lasted 5ish years. My only complaint is some squeaking when I rock back but I should probably grease the hinge. It may be worth sitting on a few of those to try them out as well. Also, the office stores often have an extended warranty that could be worth considering if they'll cover anything. Staples pushed pretty hard for one on the flakey chair and had I gotten it they'd have fully replaced it within three years for almost any reason.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

Office Interiors in Indiana got me fully spec'd out Embody in sync fabric direct shipped from Herman Miller for a hair over $1000 with tax. Supposedly you can find a certified dealer that will go lower but I was pretty alright with that price. If you lose the arm rests and go with base fabric I'm pretty sure you can get down to $900 or maybe lower.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I. M. Gei posted:

The icomfort chair, which is actually a true innovations chair, has a 10 year warranty so in theory should have been made with enough quality parts to stay standing. When it comes to the foam and bonded leather, those are only warranted for 3 years. Make of that what you will I guess.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

drat, I think the Shaq chair was the most comfortable one out of the 3. Although it looks like all 3 of those chairs are made out of bonded leather, so I guess none of them are winners.

No matter, I didn’t expect any of them to be worth buying anyway. I was really hoping more for recs on OTHER chairs based on my preferences wrt those 3 chairs, although as I think on it maybe that’s kind of a reach? But I won’t know if I don’t ask.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So I purchased an ErgoChair 2 and while it's certainly not an Aeron or Steelcase it does the job pretty well. My only complaint is the seat cushion is an absolute magnet for dog hair. Does anyone have any seat cover recommendations for the model (that ideally doesn't attract dog hair as much)?

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Has anyone added a headrest to their Steelcase Leap V2? Having some neck issues right now and I'm wondering if a headrest would help.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Got myself a cheap near-new second hand Gesture! Sat on it for the first day, and feel a light twitching (not pain) in the mid-back, butt is a bit numb. 6’5” and 230.

Did you happy Gesture owners take to it from day 1, or is there an adjustment period? The local reseller gave me 30 days to trade it in since this will be a snap to resell, just curious if I am barking up the wrong tree or if there is a usual sitting-retraining-adjustment period before happily-ever-after.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Piquai Souban posted:

Got myself a cheap near-new second hand Gesture! Sat on it for the first day, and feel a light twitching (not pain) in the mid-back, butt is a bit numb. 6’5” and 230.

Did you happy Gesture owners take to it from day 1, or is there an adjustment period? The local reseller gave me 30 days to trade it in since this will be a snap to resell, just curious if I am barking up the wrong tree or if there is a usual sitting-retraining-adjustment period before happily-ever-after.

I liked it day 1 but that may have been because I didn't like the Embody. At least I think I liked it day 1 I might not have used it seriously on day 1 as I don't tend to use my desktop unless I'm playing a computer game.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Piquai Souban posted:

What kinda chair are you coming from?

I know several others upthread talked about how it took them a week or so to acclimate to a new chair that wasn't indulging the bad sitting habits they had become accustomed to. In my experience, it probably took me a few weeks to get used to the Aeron's frame, but I feel like the frame on the seat pan of an Aeron is an egregious example of "learn how to not rest my legs on the hard parts of the chair".

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Zarin posted:

What kinda chair are you coming from?

I’ll read back a bit! Just a generic tech company chair with no visible name on it - nothing special but a notably cushy seat feel when I went back for a sit.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 2, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nohearum posted:

Has anyone added a headrest to their Steelcase Leap V2? Having some neck issues right now and I'm wondering if a headrest would help.

I have the Think with the headrest. Although I don't think I have neck issues, I find it very usefu at times to support the head especially when reclined. Otherwise I'd go have to hold it up at weird angle. I'd definitely recommend it.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

does anyone have an affordable stand/sit desk they like? I realized my 300$ costco stand/sit desk has a minimum elevation of 29.5 inches and I need to have my keyboard at 27 to be ergonomic. It seems like there's a lot of standing desks out there at the 300$ price point but basically all of them have their surface at 28-29 inches. seems like there's ones that go down to 24" but they're all pretty pricey (maybe that's just the way all not-too-tall standing desks are now?)

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
It's more than $300, but I like the Uplift. The commercial version goes lower than the regular one, but both can do 27".

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I'm window-shopping chairs to replace my disintegrating no-name POS, and there's a bunch of Mirra's available near me for ~£300 "refurbished".

I had an Aeron at a job years ago, and I adored it except the plastic seat frame dug into the back of my thighs. Does anybody have an idea if the Mirra will have the same issue? I'd go sit in one but, well, covid.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Fano posted:

I recently purchased this cylinder to replace the one in my 5-year-old Steelcase v2 because it has been slowly sinking.

This one is way worse, the chair does not stay at full height even for a few minutes, I feel like I either bought the wrong cylinder or installed it poorly, even though I found many videos guides which did it exactly the same way. It was tedious as hell removing the old one and installing the new one, but for now I think I'm going to be putting the old one back as soon as I get tired of sitting 2 feet from the ground.

Just really bummed out about it, enough to maybe splurge in a new chair at some point in the future, but I don't really wanna eat the cost.

I just took literal packing tape and wrapped it around the bottom of my sagging cylinder and put it back into the base, it sank a little but I gained an entire inch of clearance and that was months ago and my rear end is fat.