Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Dawgstar posted:

She had to work considerably harder to get bounced by the Mouse than not. Favreau even went to bat for her.

That's a good point. I remember right around the time of the election, all the other cast members, including Pascal, were posting support for her. I forgot about that. Everyone involved, publicly, genuinely seemed to hope she would get over it and come back to earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

euphronius posted:

It seemed like she was already getting written off in season two anyway

And probably right onto the Rangers of the Outer Rim show.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

mllaneza posted:

And probably right onto the Rangers of the Outer Rim show.

This is a better title than the one they were actually going with tbh. Also it would make the acronym ROTOR

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Doronin posted:

That's a good point. I remember right around the time of the election, all the other cast members, including Pascal, were posting support for her. I forgot about that. Everyone involved, publicly, genuinely seemed to hope she would get over it and come back to earth.

It became clear she was never going to improve when it broke that Pedro personally sat her down to explain why her transphobic tweets were hurtful, and then she turned around and mocked one of the specific things he talked to her about as soon as she hopped back on twitter.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

VinylonUnderground posted:

4) I hate Thrawn but I figure they already set-up what he can be at the start. He's the McGuffin at the start. Finding him involves burning through his mooks in an adventure-of-the-week setup since that served Mando well. In terms of threat scaling, you can have a grand threat where he discovered some Terrible Secret of Space and a more personal narrative threat where the TSoS initially team up with Thrawn out of need and then eventually come to join him fully. So, S1 = Mooks, endgame is meeting Thrawn. S2 = Winning back Ezra from Thrawn S3 = Thrawn and the Terrible Secret of Space. Depending on need, you can condense that into 2 seasons pretty easily.

Ideally new characters, since this is already a lot of the old cast.

Except I'd kind of want to do the opposite of that in some ways. Season One Finding Thrawn involves burning through his mooks and thwarting his plans. They find Thrawn but learn that for some reason Ezra has joined with him. Season Two involves them trying to win Ezra back from Thrawn, with Ezra insisting that they back off and leave him alone. Ezra comes off as impatient - even angry so there are fears that he's falling to the Dark Side - which lends further urgency to their desire to rescue Ezra. Finally they confront him in person and there's a three-way battle between them, Thrawn's forces and some aliens in which the aliens capture Ezra. At which point Thrawn reveals the "Terrible Secret of Space." The aliens are some kind of "worse than the Emperor" horrifying threat. He, Ezra and their allies have been fighting these guys. And of late "our heroes" have been screwing with that effort. Ezra didn't want his friends involved in that struggle so he wanted them kept out of it and Thrawn (who kind of wanted a bad-rear end weapon-designing Mandalorian graffiti artist and the next best thing to a full Jedi Knight on his side) complied. So Season Three would be Sabine, Ahsoka and hopefully some badass Chiss lady acting as "Thrawn's Angels" loving up those aliens while doing the second search for Ezra.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Ezra should show up only to get a blaster bolt to the middle of the forehead and die like the c level punk he is.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Doronin posted:

I imagine it was more like the Stonecutter episode of the Simpsons where Carl and Lenny keep saying "It's a secret. Shut up."

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

It became clear she was never going to improve when it broke that Pedro personally sat her down to explain why her transphobic tweets were hurtful, and then she turned around and mocked one of the specific things he talked to her about as soon as she hopped back on twitter.

Yikes. That's really hosed up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jesus Christ. And this was also around the time when his sister was transitioning as well.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

shades of eternity posted:

Less humans and more aliens and droids.

The bigger the budget, the more they can do that. There is a reason why the cast is mostly human in Star Wars, more alien representation in Empire and then a huge smorgasbord of aliens in Jedi. They've got the budget to get weird so they absolutely should. One of the reasons Rebels was so disappointing is that they could have gotten so much weirder (it is a cartoon so the only limit is your imagination) and now with real Disney budget I expect big things.

Everyone posted:

Except I'd kind of want to do the opposite of that in some ways. Season One Finding Thrawn involves burning through his mooks and thwarting his plans. They find Thrawn but learn that for some reason Ezra has joined with him. Season Two involves them trying to win Ezra back from Thrawn, with Ezra insisting that they back off and leave him alone. Ezra comes off as impatient - even angry so there are fears that he's falling to the Dark Side - which lends further urgency to their desire to rescue Ezra. Finally they confront him in person and there's a three-way battle between them, Thrawn's forces and some aliens in which the aliens capture Ezra. At which point Thrawn reveals the "Terrible Secret of Space." The aliens are some kind of "worse than the Emperor" horrifying threat. He, Ezra and their allies have been fighting these guys. And of late "our heroes" have been screwing with that effort. Ezra didn't want his friends involved in that struggle so he wanted them kept out of it and Thrawn (who kind of wanted a bad-rear end weapon-designing Mandalorian graffiti artist and the next best thing to a full Jedi Knight on his side) complied. So Season Three would be Sabine, Ahsoka and hopefully some badass Chiss lady acting as "Thrawn's Angels" loving up those aliens while doing the second search for Ezra.

I hate the "Trains running on time" horseshit and the "Writer's poorly disguised fetish" horseshit.

Regarding the former, I think Mando did a great job lowering the stakes and was much better for it. Hell, I dislike Thrawn but I hated him less in Rebels than I expected to.

*Rant*

I read one of the Star Wars novels when I was in second or third grade (I think it was Heir to the Emperor, maybe?) and it was loving awful so I didn't bother reading any other books. I just remember thinking it treated the Force like a goddamn video game and if you don't get the Force why the gently caress would I read your Star Wars book? Anyway, my exposure to Thrawn is mostly through other nerds who treat him as some sort of idealized Nerd Supreme who is able to use his superior intellect and affected class to immediately understand and beat everybody like some sort of brainiac dim mak. His presentation is Rebels was, from an emotionally detached perspective, pretty OK I think. If it had been some random dude instead of "go back to Star Trek you loving useless piece of poo poo" character I probably wouldn't have been so annoyed.

*ranting intensifies*

Though, speaking of "trains running on time" the "model minority within a fascist ethnostate needs to be handled *really* carefully. Röhm is an extremely tragic figure but any author that falls in love with Röhm doesn't deserve to be read. The tension between house slaves and field slaves and the consequences of that echoing throughout history is extremely fertile narrative ground. Could make some amazing kids entertainment. Star Wars is probably a poor vehicle for that narrative though. Which is probably a bigger part of why Thrawn sucks and sticks in my craw.

*End Rant*

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

That's why you don't try to reason with or educate people who are that far gone into their chud mentality, because they truly don't care that what they say hurts people--they say it precisely because it's hurtful. There's no bringing them back from that abyss. All you can do is just shun them and move on with your own life.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That's why you don't try to reason with or educate people who are that far gone into their chud mentality, because they truly don't care that what they say hurts people--they say it precisely because it's hurtful. There's no bringing them back from that abyss. All you can do is just shun them and move on with your own life.

I feel like Mao and the BPP did a good job recontextualizing the idea of the "lumpenproletariat". It is also why I roll my eyes at people who advocate "reading theory" because in my experience that is a rhetorical tool used to end thought. Antirevolutionary thought isn't found in some subset of the lowest social strata. As the Russians found, they are hoodligans but they are entirely intentional. Trumpenproles are the real drivers of reaction and they aren't lumpen. There is a reason why the BPP music group "The Lumpen" released some bangers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Well at least giving us the hint of "The Lumpen" let me decipher your undefined acronym :thumbsup:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well at least giving us the hint of "The Lumpen" let me decipher your undefined acronym :thumbsup:

Check the rapsheet, it's forums weirdo Shbobdb on their third account looking to get run out of yet another subforum.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one, just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the perspectives that you've had."

http://www.itsabouttimebpp.com/Our_Stories/The_Lumpen/the_lumpen.html

For me, BPP is and always will be "Black Panther Party". We all live in different realities, so it is always good to be reminded that things you take for granted aren't always well known. Thank you.

Hopefully this helps my post make more sense and puts it in context.

VinylonUnderground fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 18, 2021

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

nine-gear crow posted:

Check the rapsheet, it's forums weirdo Shbobdb on their third account looking to get run out of yet another subforum.

It's my ninth account if you want to keep score.

And I've always been earnest and sincere, I'm not trying to get run out of anywhere.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VinylonUnderground posted:

It's my ninth account if you want to keep score.

And I've always been earnest and sincere, I'm not trying to get run out of anywhere.

Fair points all around, I suppose.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

nine-gear crow posted:

Fair points all around, I suppose.

So, you got something to say? Or just looking to be a dick?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Man, I haven't seen someone try to start a barfight for over a year. :munch:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

banned from Starbucks posted:

hmm.... na they should kill her off first ep of s3 in the most lol way possible.

With Wilhelm scream for added hilarity

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

beautiful bar patron: "I like Thrawn"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiWjZWQ3z0g

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The Hu made a Jedi Fallen Order song well how about that

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

In the opening shot of S3 just dress the hairiest stuntman handy in her outfit and wearing the worlds worst wig. Film him from from behind walking out into the street and getting stepped on by a Bantha. Mando theme.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I unironically want a Jar Jar show and him clumsily killing her in the dumbest way possible is a great segue

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Frankenstyle posted:

In the opening shot of S3 just dress the hairiest stuntman handy in her outfit and wearing the worlds worst wig. Film him from from behind walking out into the street and getting stepped on by a Bantha. Mando theme.

Do the Mean Girls thing: have a lookalike on set for one scene as they rant at Mando about something, then turn around to stamp off across the street only for a speeder to splatter her out of nowhere the second she steps on to the street.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Season 3 of the Mandalorian, Cara Dune is a Rodian. She has always been a Rodian, what are you talking about? Shut up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Everybody: *shoots first*

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

The Last Call posted:

Ezra should show up only to get a blaster bolt to the middle of the forehead and die like the c level punk he is.

I also don't really care for Ezra but if they cast Rahul Kohli for the role I will gladly watch him be annoying forever.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*Mando searches settlement for signs of Ezra*

"Looking around the house
Hidden behind the window and the door
Searching for signs of life
But there's nobody home"

Holo Sabine transmission: "It was good, living with you, aha

It was good, ah-wa-aha"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Recast the role with a Male actor and say the character transitioned between seasons. Its Carl Dune

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

banned from Starbucks posted:

Recast the role with a Male actor and say the character transitioned between seasons. Its Carl Dune

Recast the role with Carl Weathers.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Have Hondo steal her role and go "what, she wasn't using it anymore." :D

edit: it's a pity he's no longer around because I know darn well whom I'd cast for a live-action General Thrawn: Ricardo Montalban :D

shades of eternity fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 18, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Season 1’s cast had both aliens and robots, and S2 had Frog Scientist and whatever gross looking pink alien Bill Burr played, some gross Ir’sh pod man?

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

and Boba Fett going "now you know my pain."

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The simple thing to remember about aliens is budget. It's expensive to do realistic looking prosthetics or anything CGI, hence Star Trek and a multitude of alien races being humans except with gills or some other feature easily added/removed with makeup. Even more so now that everything is shot in 4K - look at the amount of scrutiny Ahsoka's headtail crinkles got.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The crinkles were literally intentionally added aging effects and wrinkles to make her look more like a living thing and less like a plastic toy and only the most egregiously pedantic simpletons were like “oh geeze they really had no make up budget, look at this shoddy craftsmanship, it ought to be smooth like the plastic cones they used 45 years ago!!”

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Bust Rodd posted:

only the most egregiously pedantic simpletons

have you met star wars fans

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Butterfly Valley posted:

The simple thing to remember about aliens is budget. It's expensive to do realistic looking prosthetics or anything CGI, hence Star Trek and a multitude of alien races being humans except with gills or some other feature easily added/removed with makeup. Even more so now that everything is shot in 4K - look at the amount of scrutiny Ahsoka's headtail crinkles got.

Do you know how using puppets like Farscape compares financially to CGI, heavy makeup and/or prosthetics, out of interest?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Season three begins with Mando negotiating a bounty for a ranger gone rogue for misusing their access to New Republic databases. Then, in a dark office, we see the Mandalorian silhouette stark against the background of blaster fire, followed by Mando getting paid by the person he was negotiating with, all in 14 seconds like the I'm coming to London scene from Snatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

tsob posted:

Do you know how using puppets like Farscape compares financially to CGI, heavy makeup and/or prosthetics, out of interest?

Puppets are expensive as poo poo. Farscape used plenty of CG and makeup/prosthetics as well of course, but remember it got canned and had to wait a couple years to bring any kind of conclusion to the story. the Dark Crystal show got killed after one season by Netflix, which is pretty amazing given the amount of stuff they made for it.