Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

thrawn527 posted:

So the dress burning thing. Is she a literal witch, now?

Or a participant on the Hunger Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Desperado Bones posted:

There's a bunch of people who love Disney's villains. I have a friend who is crazy for Maleficent, even before the movie. She just loves stylish evil ladies that wear heavy make up and are smug as hell. Even Ursula has a huge fanbase. Hey, Once Upon A Time was actually a hit, and everyone loved the poo poo out of Regina.

I didn't realize you were friends with my girlfriend

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

BonoMan posted:

I mean that seems to be totally what this is. She doesn't appear sympathetic at all. She seems evil straight from the get-go.

idk. seems like the trailer is setting up for cruella to be some kind of impish but misunderstood outsider who doesn't play by the rules

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Once Upon a Time was a show that was carried entirely on the entire cast being 100% aware of what kind of show it was and playing "who can chew the scenery the most" for like 8 seasons or however long it ran. It's honestly impressive how loving insane it was.

And the fanbase for it LOVED every second of it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

QuoProQuid posted:

idk. seems like the trailer is setting up for cruella to be some kind of impish but misunderstood outsider who doesn't play by the rules

yeah I didn't get that at all. She barrels in to every scene and seems evil as poo poo.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

kiimo posted:

I didn't realize you were friends with my girlfriend

If your name is Paco then probably :lol:

feedmyleg posted:

:lol: it's Disney. They already cast Melissa McCarthy in the live action Little Mermaid.

I had missed they cast her. Aaw gently caress.
I DEMAND MY DRAG QUEEN OCTOPUS.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Once Upon a Time was a show that was carried entirely on the entire cast being 100% aware of what kind of show it was and playing "who can chew the scenery the most" for like 8 seasons or however long it ran. It's honestly impressive how loving insane it was.

And the fanbase for it LOVED every second of it.

I had an instant crush on Sebastian Stan thanks to the show :allears:. I'm still mad his character got killed off (but I don't complain about him playing Bucky). But yeah, the show was bonkers and that's what made it so good. Still laughing my rear end that they managed to put Esla in it.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, I dont know who this is for other than Disney weirdos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yidICnbw1Rg

“It’s like Joker and Harley all in one! 🤑” - a Disney exec, probably

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

I DEMAND MY DRAG QUEEN OCTOPUS.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's kinda stupid they didn't get a drag queen for it - they would be the perfect fit!

Ginger Minj or Nina West would be ideal.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Desperado Bones posted:

I had an instant crush on Sebastian Stan thanks to the show :allears:. I'm still mad his character got killed off (but I don't complain about him playing Bucky). But yeah, the show was bonkers and that's what made it so good. Still laughing my rear end that they managed to put Esla in it.

Honestly I half expected to bring in Star Wars at some point.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mortal Kombat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBa_aHwCbC4

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
lmfao at the Mortal Kombat trailer, and not really in a good way.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"Get-a ovah HEIRR"

That was a terrible line reading but looks alright - should be nice schlocky fun like the games.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I feel like the main problem for any new Mortal Kombat movie is that the most memorable part of the original was the theme song, and I don't see how you're going to beat that

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly I half expected to bring in Star Wars at some point.

Honestly, another couple of seasons and they would have done just that. And it would had been great.

Vintersorg posted:

It's kinda stupid they didn't get a drag queen for it - they would be the perfect fit!

Ginger Minj or Nina West would be ideal.

This goon knows what's up. It would had been fantastic.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Looks incredibly stupid. I’m in.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lmao, this was as dumb as I hoped it would be. Stellar casting for the ninjas, with a lovely story (lmao birthmark schlock), and lots of blood. That's all I wanted, and looks like it'll deliver.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It looks loving AWESOME

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Tim Whatley posted:

It looks loving AWESOME

I’ll say it looks fine, but for me to give it an awesome rating they need to drop the terrible CGI blood and gore effects, give me some proper practical viscera hanging off shattered bones and I’ll get excited.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

That looks way too serious and I spend the entire time waiting for some fantastically stupid Johnny Cage reveal that never came.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

caligulamprey posted:

That looks way too serious and I spend the entire time waiting for some fantastically stupid Johnny Cage reveal that never came.

Unless they’re hiding someone really well, Cage is just straight up not in the movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maybe they played the game too many times and realized you always get your rear end kicked playing Johnny Cage.

Where's Noob Saibot

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My only issue with it is that the VA for both Raiden and Shan Tsung are so loving good in the game that there's just no way the movie lives up to them

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

kiimo posted:

Where's Noob Saibot

You have to wait for the first Sub-Zero to die.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My only issue with it is that the VA for both Raiden and Shan Tsung are so loving good in the game that there's just no way the movie lives up to them

If there is a way, it's Tadanobu Asano.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

I think the too serious vibe works for MK.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

DC Murderverse posted:

Unless they’re hiding someone really well, Cage is just straight up not in the movie.

Still don't get why they're doing this and felt the need create an entirely new less interesting pov character

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i can't wait for every character to come on screen and announce themselves by their character name in the first person. that definitely was only written in for trailer purposes, right?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

Still don't get why they're doing this and felt the need create an entirely new less interesting pov character

At the end he's going to put on shades and say, "call me Johnny Cage from now on"

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Johnny Cage will show up in either the mid or post-credits stinger to join in the festivities

He will then die immediately at the start of the next MK Movie again lol

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
In a particularly meta twist, Johnny Cage never appears, but Jean-Claude Van Damme has a cameo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
JCVD playing himself as an actor/martial-artist who gets killed in the first 5 minutes of the tournament would be aces. Would put a lot of pressure on Cage to be rad, though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gnome de plume posted:

The theory is "Cole" is the second Sub-Zero.

Desperado Bones posted:

There's a bunch of people who love Disney's villains. I have a friend who is crazy for Maleficent, even before the movie. She just loves stylish evil ladies that wear heavy make up and are smug as hell. Even Ursula has a huge fanbase. Hey, Once Upon A Time was actually a hit, and everyone loved the poo poo out of Regina.

I love that show and its crazy relationships. Evil Queen and Wicked Witch of The West are stepsisters! Rumplestiltskin is Peter Pan's son! Hot Captain Hook is dating Snow White's daughter who is Anna and Elsa's cousin (and she had a son with Peter Pan's grandson)! This show is pretty much a Wattpad fanfic.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 19, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The MSJ posted:

The theory is "Cole" is the second Sub-Zero.

I love that show and its crazy relationships. Evil Queen and Wicked Witch of The West are stepsisters! Rumplestiltskin is Peter Pan's son! Hot Captain Hook is dating Snow White's daughter who is Anna and Elsa's cousin (and she had a son with Peter Pan's grandson)! This show is pretty much a Wattpad fanfic.

HAHAHA I had forgotten how convoluted the relationships were and that Hook was hot as gently caress. Also, shame that The Big Bad Wolf was another character that got killed off so fast. But I guess they wanted to avoid getting slammed with a lawsuit from the creators of Fables***.

**Edit: The premise of OUAT was the super extremely similar to the comic book Fables, until they decided to go full bonkers later on.

I guess I'm gonna binge on it again once I finish my re-watch of Daredevil.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 19, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ShoogaSlim posted:

i can't wait for every character to come on screen and announce themselves by their character name in the first person. that definitely was only written in for trailer purposes, right?

I don't get why you'd have possibly the most famous character from the franchise - especially after he's already used lots of ice stuff - go "I am Sub Zero" just for a trailer.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

DC Murderverse posted:

I thought Lewis Tan was playing Cage?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Every time someone says Mortal Kombar in the movie they stop to look directly at the audience.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mat Cauthon posted:

I thought Lewis Tan was playing Cage?

He seems to be a Scorpion heir

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Time to read 500 pages of the Mortal Kombat wiki to fill myself in on the stupid backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Will not be watching that film until the fan-edit that replaces the score with the 1995 Mortal Kombat song.