Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

You gotta hand it to these studios. They spend millions upon millions of dollars to make a movie as a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lobsterminator posted:

You gotta hand it to these studios. They spend millions upon millions of dollars to make a movie as a joke.

When I saw the most recent Predator film in the cinema (The Predator ????), I genuinely thought to myself "Shane Black has made this film as a joke"

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

What's happening at 1:03-1:05 in the trailer, did someone gently caress up the editing there or what

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AHH F/UGH posted:

What's happening at 1:03-1:05 in the trailer, did someone gently caress up the editing there or what

yup!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

"It's a birthmark"
"What do you mean?"
"He was born with it"

no poo poo

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
maybe it's maybelline

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Replace government with Hollywood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnX-D4kkPOQ

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Communist Walrus posted:

"It's a birthmark"
"What do you mean?"
"He was born with it"

no poo poo

I laughed at this exchange too

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I feel like I have my expectations for the MK movie at just the right level to watch it and be entertained, tbh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

waiting for Scorsese's take on Mortal Kombat before i make my mind up

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Good soup! posted:

I feel like I have my expectations for the MK movie at just the right level to watch it and be entertained, tbh

There's no way it can be worse than Annihilation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No Christopher Lambert no sale.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

It can, by being boring. Annihilation is a laugh riot.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
The new Mortal Kombat feels watchable and looks like they draw from the more recent games instead. Maybe Johnny Cage will be in like the inevitable 7 sequels to that one?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quantum of Phallus posted:

When I saw the most recent Predator film in the cinema (The Predator ????), I genuinely thought to myself "Shane Black has made this film as a joke"

Well at least it was better than Predators.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Da gently caress you on about, Predators was the best Predator movie since Predator 2

I mean it was still not great but it wasn't horrible

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Adrian Brody as a buff beanstalk was pretty unique

Also walton goggins as a prison lunatic was pretty great.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It was a total failure on every level, legitimately one of the worst moopies I've ever had to sit through. The action was the worst sort of CGI trash, the characters were unlikable and the actors incompetent and miscast, the plot was terrible and made the whole premise of the franchise worse.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's way too much story for a Mortal Kombat movie.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
To this day I wake up in cold sweat remembering the way they chose to approach the first fight scene in the film - the gang gets attacked by a pack of alien dogs. How do they shoot it? They show a flat frontal shot of the characters standing still and shooting their weapons at the camera. Then a shot of terrible generic CGI dog puppets running somewhere through void, without context. Then back to the static frontal shot of the characters. Back to the same shot of running puppets. And so on and so forth. A completely wasted scene executed in such a lazy and hackish way it would seem like it was taken from a parody if you saw it in isolation.

And this sets the bar for the whole thing.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

It was a total failure on every level, legitimately one of the worst moopies I've ever had to sit through. The action was the worst sort of CGI trash, the characters were unlikable and the actors incompetent and miscast, the plot was terrible and made the whole premise of the franchise worse.

I’m gonna respond to each one of these claims in order: nah, what?, yeah I mean that’s movies these days whaddayagonnadohuh?, that kind of made it more fun honestly, the franchise was already dead and it’s fun to poke a dead body with a stick

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zeta Acosta posted:

that mortal kombat movie looks low rent as gently caress

isn't that why people like them

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Endless Trash posted:

I’m gonna respond to each one of these claims in order: nah, what?, yeah I mean that’s movies these days whaddayagonnadohuh?, that kind of made it more fun honestly, the franchise was already dead and it’s fun to poke a dead body with a stick

nah, i still prefer movies to be good rather than complete pile of poo poo made by morons

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cowcaster posted:

isn't that why people like them

the original movie(s) had the low budget charm that the big studio CGI fueled movie that looks kinda cheap but is actually still a massively expensive project won't have.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/hperryhorton/status/1362174249427853313

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I am....MR COOL ICE.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I watched the animated MK movie recently and good lord that was a lot of blood.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Predators wasn't as bad as The Predator but it still had dumb poo poo like Super Predators and the dogs.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I recall being mildly amused by Laurence Fishburne not giving a single poo poo

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

nah, i still prefer movies to be good rather than complete pile of poo poo made by morons

there are so many places between good and complete pile of poo poo, secret places, forbidden delights

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

walter goggins gets his spine ripped out

weird alien planet kinda

laurence fishburne gets sploded

a bunch of predators get decapitated

predator blows up his own ship rather than let dude get away

adrien brody seems like a decent guy to be friends with

all in all 2/5 still better than that stupid chase around the neighborhood one lmao didn't that one have a scene on a football field or something?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DebonaireD posted:

there are so many places between good and complete pile of poo poo, secret places, forbidden delights

not in my hollywood

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

the original movie(s) had the low budget charm that the big studio CGI fueled movie that looks kinda cheap but is actually still a massively expensive project won't have.

the distinction between honest-to-goodness endless trash and corporate-imitation endless trash is lost on me

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Predators was alright. It was totally dumb that the tied up predator just got owned when it was freed, that was a bummer, and the samurai stuff was awkward.

but The Predator or whatever it was called was a loving massive piece of unwatchable poo poo jesus christ.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

e: sorry i thought you were talking about The Predator

Predators was fine

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's a shame the boys are a bit too old for a Mortal Kombat re:View.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Murray? When you bring me out . . . can you introduce me as Cruella?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Ultra Carp

Meat Wagon posted:

No techno song = I no watch

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Ultra Carp

Groovelord Neato posted:

Now I'm imagining a crossover sequel combining "Annihilation" and "Mortal Kombat: Annihilation". Might win an Oscar and a Razzy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Endless Trash posted:

I recall being mildly amused by Laurence Fishburne not giving a single poo poo

When you do the math for ole Larry, turns out he was only on the planet for like... 3 days. Pretty hilarious that he has the full survivorman crazyman stuff going after such a short time. Maybe he was that unhinged when he got there.