Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How Wonderful! posted:

I suppose an honest encomium on Tom Tenney could be cool.

If you unleash this hell it will be your legacy. Is that what you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I would be down for a thread about good 90's comics. The 90's were when I started reading/buying my own comics instead of just re-reading my brothers old stash over and over again. The amount of comics I could get from the newstand was very limited though and not always reliable to get the latest issue (also Marvel comics were more expensive so I hardly ever got anything Marvel in the 90's unless found at the flea markets and borrowed from other friends). I am sure there are a tons of hidden gems and short run series in the 90's though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I want someone to do a big thread on Milestone Comics, especially during Black History month. I'd do it but I haven't read any of them and even if I did I don't think a white dude in 2021 reading them for the first time should be the main source of info on them. They were 90s.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Skwirl posted:

I want someone to do a big thread on Milestone Comics, especially during Black History month. I'd do it but I haven't read any of them and even if I did I don't think a white dude in 2021 reading them for the first time should be the main source of info on them. They were 90s.

I could give you a halfway okay writeup on this as someone who was reading Static and a bit of the line when they were fresh. I've been flirting with the idea some anyway just to try and sum up the imprint to my partners as they go "why are you so mad, it's being revived"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I could give you a halfway okay writeup on this as someone who was reading Static and a bit of the line when they were fresh. I've been flirting with the idea some anyway just to try and sum up the imprint to my partners as they go "why are you so mad, it's being revived"

I would like to read that. If you don't think you have enough to say for a thread the Chat thread is a good place for it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm pretty sure I have a significant chunk the milestone-l listserv somewhere in an old Eudora folder.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
And then you get the 90's comics that are hard to catalog as being good or bad like Body Bags cause on the one hand there's a lot of that "trying to ape Image" edginess(a lot of the violence especially that one infamous page, good amount of casual racist and homophobic dialog, basically everything about Panda's design), but on the other hand the art is gorgeous(Jason Pearson is an excellent artist even if it's hampered by his work ethic) and the writing has a lot of energy and emotion to it that puts it above a lot of it's contemporaries

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Indie comics in the 90s was like 90% reach exceeding grasp.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I would feel extremely comfortable categorizing Body Bags as bad.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Of all the things to see defended in tyool 2021, loving Body Bags was certainly a dark horse candidate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Make a 90s thread!

Speaking of 90s, Todd McFarland has announced THREE new monthly Spawn comics because absolutely no one was clamoring for more Spawn.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Of all the things to see defended in tyool 2021, loving Body Bags was certainly a dark horse candidate.

And now for the first of my eight part series on why Fathom is actually the greatest comic series of the 90's...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Make a 90s thread!

Speaking of 90s, Todd McFarland has announced THREE new monthly Spawn comics because absolutely no one was clamoring for more Spawn.

I remember there being at least 3 if not 4 ongoing Spawn comics in the 90's. What is old is new again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

I remember there being at least 3 if not 4 ongoing Spawn comics in the 90's. What is old is new again.

Oh for sure.

Spawn the Undead
Curse of the Spawn
Hellspawn

And a couple dozen minis and one shots.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

And now for the first of my eight part series on why Fathom is actually the greatest comic series of the 90's...

yo i fuckin loved fathom and probably have a bunch of the early issues laying around here somewhere!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Make a 90s thread!

Guess how many female creators are slated to work on those titles!

Answer: 0
https://twitter.com/housetoastonish/status/1362540697254064131?s=21

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I welcomed the Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat, Animaniacs, Sifl and Ollie, Beavis and Butt-head, X-factor, Glory, Quantum and Woody, Resurrection Man, Skrull Kill Krew, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck and TMNT revivals, but Spawn needs to gently caress off back to the 90s and stay there. I refuse to believe anyone actually likes Spawn outside of people who buy overpriced figures.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ngl as soon as i read the titles of those books i thought to myself, "those all sound like donny cates books" and then i saw the first name attached is donny cates and practically spit up my coffee laughing

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vincent posted:

Guess how many female creators are slated to work on those titles!

Answer: 0
https://twitter.com/housetoastonish/status/1362540697254064131?s=21

I was gonna say "it's three books, not great hey didn't hire a woman for one of them but it's just three writers, three pencilers, three inkers, pretty easy to and Seth is probably at least two of those, pretty easy to accidently not hire a woman" then I saw the list of who's actually working on it and Jesus wept Seth, you couldn't think of a single woman to ask?

There's a couple names on that list I would like to think would drop out after finding out there's zero women being hired for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite Spawn related thing was during the Gaiman lawsuit where a judge had to read a bunch of Spawn and then give a ruling about how Medieval Spawn and Dark Ages Spawn are clearly just the same thing.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

There is a lot to unpack from the marketing of the new Spawn Universe, I'm more interested in finding out how many of those 23 (mostly) white dudes are doing something besides a short story or cover or something. To my knowledge there's zero announcements of who the creative teams on any of the books are.

Also is Seth editing these Spawn books? Not an expected follow up to Clyde Fans, but definitely ups the white dude factor for the line.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Spawn was weird because it had so much lore you would think some of it would have been at least accidentally interesting. But nope!

The HBO cartoon was pretty good though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think people just like the Spawn cartoon because Keith David voiced Al.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

I think people just like the Spawn cartoon because Keith David voiced Al.

It also had good animation. And it was allowed to be horny, which was rare for American cartoons at the time, so it left a mark on a lot of tweens.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

Also is Seth editing these Spawn books? Not an expected follow up to Clyde Fans, but definitely ups the white dude factor for the line.

I tried to google "Seth Spawn" to see if this was true and not a joke and found out there's a researcher from the University of Wisconsin-Madison named Seth Spawn.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Your friend and mine Chap "Chip Zdarsky" Zdoosky, along with friends Moderator "David Brothers" Hermanos, Deb Aoki, and Chris Butcher have a new podcast where they read anime called "Mangasplaining". The first episode is in Akira and the second on "Delicious in Dungeon". Catch it in places where you listen to podcasts I guess.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Vincent posted:

I tried to google "Seth Spawn" to see if this was true and not a joke and found out there's a researcher from the University of Wisconsin-Madison named Seth Spawn.
I realized after posting it was either a crossed wire or a joke about Todd McFarlane and Seth McFarlane, I think.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I got my McFarlanes confused.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not sure which one should be offended by that.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endless Mike posted:

Your friend and mine Chap "Chip Zdarsky" Zdoosky, along with friends Moderator "David Brothers" Hermanos, Deb Aoki, and Chris Butcher have a new podcast where they read anime called "Mangasplaining". The first episode is in Akira and the second on "Delicious in Dungeon". Catch it in places where you listen to podcasts I guess.

Finally, a manga podcast for people whose opinion on manga/anime is that they watched Cowboy Bebop once

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Still slogging my way through Countdown as part of the Legion readthrough and now at issue 12 (which would be issue 39 since they count down), it's like someone went, "You know you've got six plotlines that haven't gone anywhere or done anything or intersected at all despite having 39 issues..." and then Dini went, "Oh poo poo. Okay, everybody suddenly teleports to the same place."

Meanwhile over in real Legion book, Jim Shooter returns to the book he debuted on when he was fourteen and it's better than countdown. And in Action Comics Geoff Johns is making sure that his Legion is back and more XTREME!! than ever. The "look at how grim and serious the Legion" story is especially goofy since that's how the bronze age Legion went out...

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not sure which one should be offended by that.

They're both talented (for all the crap Seth gets, he has a nice singing voice, and Todd can draw, he just needs an editor) but I'd say both are more trouble than they're worth.

That said Seth has never done anything as significant as launching Image. I think Image is a plus for the industry. So I'll say Todd.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd argue Seth is a decent actor (mostly when he's not the one in charge of the writers room, although he has his moments on Orville) and he does have his own production company

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Just finished a reread of all of Superman & Batman: Generations, by which I mean all three parts, first part was mostly good but suffered from getting needlessly edgy and dark in it's back half, second part was overall great since it was essentially just more stories(though the last story in it was kinda silly in a bad way), and the third part was just a way too long and confusing mess that somehow dove even deeper into pointless edge and darkness to an extent I hadn't really thought possible(part 3 had been the one part I hadn't read before, well besides that one weird page involving an adult Superman kissing a teenaged Lana Lang*)

*John Byrne is a talented man but he's also a huge weirdo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They're both talented (for all the crap Seth gets, he has a nice singing voice, and Todd can draw, he just needs an editor) but I'd say both are more trouble than they're worth.

That said Seth has never done anything as significant as launching Image. I think Image is a plus for the industry. So I'll say Todd.

If he isn't still currently, I'm pretty sure there was a point in time Seth McFarlane was a huge comic book nerd, so I don't think he'd be offended.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Endless Mike posted:

Delicious in Dungeon is so good.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021

thetoughestbean posted:

Finally, a manga podcast for people whose opinion on manga/anime is that they watched Cowboy Bebop once

I'm sure four accomplished and widely read illustrators and comic artists, one of whom is Japanese American and a self described manga addict, are definitely running a manga podcast because they don't care about manga.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The gimmick of the podcast is that Chip Zdarsky doesn't really know anything about manga

quote:

Curious about manga, or Japanese comic books, but don't know where to start? Well neither does comics writer/artist Chip Zdarsky! Join manga experts Deb Aoki, David Brothers, and Christopher Butcher, as they introduce the medium through some of its best and most important works. Every week a new volume of manga to discover, discuss, and enjoy!
The other three people obviously do. So maybe it is the podcast for people who only know Cowboy Bebop, but more in the sense that they can learn about other things.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's been slow going for my Legion read through since I read a few issues of Countdown and then want to read anything else for a few days. It's almost over, though, and I can honestly say I wasn't expecting Triplicate Girl to be devoured by a mutating rat swarm on panel. That's DC in the 2000's for you!

Also, the last two issues of Countdown weren't scripted. They were told in some even more poorly written than usual narrative captions, but were drawn like there was supposed to be dialog and conversation happening. This series is really bad, guys.

Edit:

On the positive side of things for Countdown, they did remember that there's nothing Darkseid loves more than chilling in someone's comfee chair waiting for them to return home.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nate McDonough of Grixly fame started a Patreon today. He's a Pittsburgh indie guy with a really raw style, and his stuff is some of my favorite weird small press indie stuff out there. Before the pandemic I bought everything he had on his storefront and he sent along some really cool art (both prints and originals) that I've got up in my loft. His patreon tiers are really inexpensive for what you get, so I'm plugging it here.

Random sampling of his work: