Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Butterfly Valley posted:

have you met star wars fans

Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season II - only the most egregiously pedantic simpletons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
One of the few really good lessons from the arrowsverse is shared assets.

They did the same thing with the clone wars/ rebels.

I can now do my meandering talk about Rebels that I just finished.

1. Tom Baker as a giant Force elk...sold!
2. Mal had a full story arc. Since Filoni is in charge now, I guess that's all folks.
3. Thrawn sounds like Ricardo Montalbán.
4. Mandelorians greatest enemy...other Mandeloriums. Seriously they probably would have beaten the empire to the punch if they didn't bicker like children.
5. Man they present bo katan as a big thing as opposed to an also ran in clone wars.
6. Mandolearns greatest fear, essentially a tesla coil.
7. A3's purpose is to have a more militaristic version of c-3p0. and he has a way better perception score (I was right...again).
8. really like how the b-wing is the predessessor to the death star.
9. They used Clancy Brown

We all think he's either the bad guy or the source of betrayal.

Then they use him for betrayal and it's all according to the rebel's plan.

Well played Star Wars Rebels for using our media-savvy against us.

shades of eternity fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 18, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

shades of eternity posted:

3. Thrawn sounds like Ricardo Maundlebaum.

Don't you mean Ricardo Montalbán?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
When you have a show with aliens on it, those actors are sent to a makeup and wardrobe team that also works with the rest of the cast. Only the most complex aliens would ever get a dedicated SFX member.

For a puppet, you have to design and create the puppet, multiple times, with lots of spare parts. Then you have to hire the voice actor, and the puppeteer, and pay them both separately, and then the puppeteer and the voice actor need time to work privately to get it down. There was a time in hollywood when puppeteers could also voice act, but IIRC something about SAG/VAG makes that way, way harder to do now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Jesus Christ. And this was also around the time when his sister was transitioning as well.

That’s awful dear god

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

Don't you mean Ricardo Montalbán?

D'oh indeed.

which planets do you want to see in the future?

Ever since the droid cartoon, I've always wanted to see Roon again.

That and see a live action Koboks.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Bust Rodd posted:

The crinkles were literally intentionally added aging effects and wrinkles to make her look more like a living thing and less like a plastic toy and only the most egregiously pedantic simpletons were like “oh geeze they really had no make up budget, look at this shoddy craftsmanship, it ought to be smooth like the plastic cones they used 45 years ago!!”

Yeah all the complaining about that was strange. I mean I noticed it right off and thought "Oh, nice touch. They gave her age creases where here tentacle things flex when she moves". I mean I've never looked at somebody's frown lines or the inside of their elbows and told 'em they need a better special effects team.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Butterfly Valley posted:

The simple thing to remember about aliens is budget. It's expensive to do realistic looking prosthetics or anything CGI, hence Star Trek and a multitude of alien races being humans except with gills or some other feature easily added/removed with makeup. Even more so now that everything is shot in 4K - look at the amount of scrutiny Ahsoka's headtail crinkles got.

Yeah, but this show is tossing out high end stuff all over the place for little one off scenes. Hell, the one eyed dude at the boxing match looked great...well there was a bit where the eye wasn't working right for a couple of lines...But that was easily at least 100 to 150 K of animatronic protetics they used for a five minute open. They've had better makeup on background extras out of focus due to depth of field than you see up front in a lot of films. The money is there for more exotic aliens to be front and center, and between how well Quill and the baby worked I hope they have the confidence go nuts with it.

*Actually a lot of foam silicone appliances can run 100 to 150K without animatronics so I'm probably way low on the cost of one eye. Hell, back in the early 2000's Rygel from Farscape cost a little north of a million bucks.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Frankenstyle posted:

Yeah, but this show is tossing out high end stuff all over the place for little one off scenes. Hell, the one eyed dude at the boxing match looked great...well there was a bit where the eye wasn't working right for a couple of lines...But that was easily at least 100 to 150 K of animatronic protetics they used for a five minute open. They've had better makeup on background extras out of focus due to depth of field than you see up front in a lot of films. The money is there for more exotic aliens to be front and center, and between how well Quill and the baby worked I hope they have the confidence go nuts with it.

*Actually a lot of foam silicone appliances can run 100 to 150K without animatronics so I'm probably way low on the cost of one eye. Hell, back in the early 2000's Rygel from Farscape cost a little north of a million bucks.

You're missing the point: they were able to go more exotic with those characters because they were only visible for a few moments of screen time, or were in the background and accordingly out of scrutiny. Put them front and centre as main characters and any problems become amplified. They can afford it for one or two supporting characters, like Kuiil, but the cost would be prohibitive to do it for a whole cast week in week out. Even for a tentpole show like Mandalorian it's evident that they don't have an unlimited budget. If it wasn't for the Volume, I reckon you'd have seen the general quality of the rest of the show take a bit of a nosedive. It's allowed them to spend the money where it counts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Starts to make sense why say, Garak and Dukat are considered special guests in DS9 even given their pivotal roles in the narrative since the Cardassian makeup is expensive and time-consuming as poo poo for what amounts to basically a particularly elaborate version of signature Star Trek rubber foreheads.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Bust Rodd posted:

For a puppet, you have to design and create the puppet, multiple times, with lots of spare parts. Then you have to hire the voice actor, and the puppeteer, and pay them both separately, and then the puppeteer and the voice actor need time to work privately to get it down. There was a time in hollywood when puppeteers could also voice act, but IIRC something about SAG/VAG makes that way, way harder to do now.

So baby Yoda's probably not going to say his first words any time soon huh

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

piL posted:

Season three begins with Mando negotiating a bounty for a ranger gone rogue for misusing their access to New Republic databases. Then, in a dark office, we see the Mandalorian silhouette stark against the background of blaster fire, followed by Mando getting paid by the person he was negotiating with, all in 14 seconds like the I'm coming to London scene from Snatch.

now i want some guy ritchie star war

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Ash1138 posted:

now i want some guy ritchie star war

"what do i know about yodas? i'm a bounty hunter. was a happy bounty hunter until a week ago. and then...what do i know about yodas? don't they come from dagobah?"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

“What’s that for? Ze Gungans?”

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
"You ain't from this galaxy are you, Din? Who is gonna mug two Mandalorians, holding blasters, sat in a shuttle that is worth less than your Beskar shoulderpad?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Starts to make sense why say, Garak and Dukat are considered special guests in DS9 even given their pivotal roles in the narrative since the Cardassian makeup is expensive and time-consuming as poo poo for what amounts to basically a particularly elaborate version of signature Star Trek rubber foreheads.

Right. Garak and Dukat are only in something like 20-something episodes each, despite being pivotal in DS9's overall story.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"You ain't from this galaxy are you, Din? Who is gonna mug two Mandalorians, holding blasters, sat in a shuttle that is worth less than your Beskar shoulderpad?"

"And the fact that you've got 'replica' written down the side of your gun and the fact that I've got BlasTech E-WEB written on the side of mine..."

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Radio! posted:

So baby Yoda's probably not going to say his first words any time soon huh

Make him sound like Nibbler you cowards

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Its Rinaldo posted:

Make him sound like Nibbler you cowards

I'm not sure Frank Welker is legally allowed to voice anything but animals.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

tsob posted:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why do you think Inspector Gadget was chasing him in the first place?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

For the Muppets, whoever does the mouth movements generally does the voice, too.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If they're desperate to make a Star Wars cowboy show .... Timothy Olyphant is right there. If I were angling to get my own frontier-themed Star Wars show and knew Timothy Olyphant was hanging around I'd keep my dumb mouth shut. He's the most well-suited person for that job, on the planet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tim Allen is another really right wing guy who gets tons of work even for Disney so

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Guy Ritchie Star Wars? Good opportunity to dig up this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr9VcED2mpk

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

I'm going to start watching Star Wars Droids and annoy you with horrible commentary.

Season 1, Episode 1: "The White Witch"

Okay the theme song still kicks rear end, even if it is essentially C3p0s lament of wanting to help his friends in situations of adversity.

and yesh, I was supposed to start heckling the animation but cripes the backdrop is amazing.

C3p0 is stuck in a junkpile,

oh nose r2d2 is dead...yeah right :p

and now we find out how much George Lucas wasn't cool when Jord Dusat and Thall Joben show up. They are such an 80's cliche.

okay, very much a fan of the Fromm Tower Droid. It's about as feasible as any vehicle and I love it's mobile bomb drones.

Fromm Tower Droid
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Fromm_Tower_Droid

yay, random female potential love interest.

C-3p0 has a rock and is not afraid to use it. :p

Okay the Fromm gangsters are lame. Tiggy in particular while not on par with Jar Jar, is definitely the scrappy doo so far.
and they want to take over the gangs of course.

Woah Mama

The White Witch: What Pod Racing should have been.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/White_Witch

Oh no they kidnapped a protagonist at the half way point in an 80's cartoon, will he ever be back. :p

and remember when Jedi were actually rare and a lightsaber cameo was the only appearance in the entire series. Pepperidge farm remembers. :p

and oh no c3p0 and female love interest have to push buttons so their buddy doesn't get smucked in the star wars equivelent of a thwomp.

and he's rescued thanks to r2d2 plucky can do attitude...never saw that coming.

I stand corrected. Belly bounce works on droids. :D

C3p0 went nyah to turn on the other droids, and it worked.

droid factory went boom.

Now tiggy is doing a kylo renn. :p

so to conclude, clueless morons discovered mob r and d location and got away.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

banned from Starbucks posted:

Recast the role with a Male actor and say the character transitioned between seasons. Its Carl Dune

Cara Dude was right there

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

tsob posted:

Isn't he Fred

And also Optimus Prime

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't he Fred

And also Optimus Prime

Megatron :eng101:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

euphronius posted:

Tim Allen is another really right wing guy who gets tons of work even for Disney so

It's just that the line between right wing and straight up saying crazy hateful bullshit in 2021 is so thin, that chuds can't see the difference when people fail to straddle it.

If some hypothetical leftist Disney actor couldn't help themselves from publicly calling for the killing of police/the rich, the result would have been the same drat thing.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

RANGERS OF THE OUTER RIM

CHAPTER 1:

THE RIM JOB

I've got Cara's opening/final scene all worked out, anyone know where I send script suggestions to Favreau?

The best part is the footage can be reused for Girls Gone Wild: MMA Edition.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Right, though I think he's also played Optimus in the movies?

euphronius posted:

Thing is he's also a narc, they know that he'll instinctively lick boots and thus can be muzzled.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Right, though I think he's also played Optimus in the movies?

Nah, he's been Megatron and/or Galvatron exclusively. It's David Kaye who's played both Optimus Prime and Megatron.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah the world doesn’t need a show about cops, even if it’s Space Cops

Wasn't there literally a space cop show in the 90s

edit: Oh yeah, Space Precint 2040:

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 19, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I used to love that show, thought it was the poo poo when I was a kid.

I imagine it's actually just poo poo, though

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Literally all cop shows are bad, OP, yes, even Justified and the Wire.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bust Rodd posted:

Power Rangers Time Force is pretty good

And Space Cop Gavan

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bust Rodd posted:

Wellington Paranormal

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bust Rodd posted:

i know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

nine-gear crow posted:

Nah, he's been Megatron and/or Galvatron exclusively. It's David Kaye who's played both Optimus Prime and Megatron.

Isn't Galvatron voiced by Mr. Spock?