Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Learning a lot about this cathie 2nite

Top page snypa, all my cortexyme holders say hey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Crtx is gonna cure Alzheimer's along with every other brain disease

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

Are there any newsletters like themotleyfool worth subscribing to?

For Motley Fool, not the paid ones. And if you sign up for their free newsletters they will be shilling those. Motley Fool has some nice free info, but the site exists to sell stock picking recommendations.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Pillowpants posted:

Are there any newsletters like themotleyfool worth subscribing to?

The Motley Fool Stock advisor would be a good bet for a one year sub. I don't know how reliable others would be. I got it back in around 2007 I think? They suggested Netflix and a little mexican tortilla company called Gruma which is now $230 a share. Bought Montpelier Re off of their suggestion at around $12-13 share and kept it till it was bought out for cash and made a good dividend while I held it. At least you can see what they're thinking in making stock picks. Ok, so here's an easy trick - if you're curious if the Motley Fool has chosen a stock you like and you don't want to pay, search for it on their website of articles. The small print on the bottom will disclose if they own shares.

John Mauldin's Thoughts from the Frontline is free and really quite interesting if you're looking for information and insight on the economy and where the market might be heading. (I'll give you a hint - it's not good)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
rip my crtx funbucks I guess

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
this is one of the best newsletters I've seen and it's free

https://kedm.com

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Will it cure my posting?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

She’s making me money, so I’ll forgive her these trespasses.

I’m down about $12k from an ATH last week and I have $12250 in puts that I’ll 99% be assigned tomorrow but I’m weirdly ok with it. I’m not looking at what I can sell, but how much I can make by selling calls on what I am picking up. Even if I’m breaking even, on those, I’m still up ~55% since September or so. I also don’t mind holding for a while to sell at a profit, even if it’s not much.

on PLTR? it's going up imo, but i don't have any

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It's officially big enough to attract the Leeches

Two different firms are trying to grandstand their way into a Go Away settlement

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Gone Fashing posted:

goons hate cathie wood the same way they hate bitcoin, its really annoying how every time someone mentions her in this thread someone has to come in and say how actually she's an insane idiot who only gets unreal returns on her funds because she got lucky/rides tesla's coattails/does lots of adrenochrome/whatever

I like Cathie but hate bitcoin :shrug:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

ARTPUP posted:

The Motley Fool Stock advisor would be a good bet for a one year sub. I don't know how reliable others would be. I got it back in around 2007 I think? They suggested Netflix and a little mexican tortilla company called Gruma which is now $230 a share. Bought Montpelier Re off of their suggestion at around $12-13 share and kept it till it was bought out for cash and made a good dividend while I held it. At least you can see what they're thinking in making stock picks. Ok, so here's an easy trick - if you're curious if the Motley Fool has chosen a stock you like and you don't want to pay, search for it on their website of articles. The small print on the bottom will disclose if they own shares.

John Mauldin's Thoughts from the Frontline is free and really quite interesting if you're looking for information and insight on the economy and where the market might be heading. (I'll give you a hint - it's not good)

Haven’t they been predicting the market would crash since 2014?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

They'll be right eventually, and then they can say they're the only ones who saw it coming.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
The OP looks out of date.

What trading platform do you use and why?

I should probably move out of RH.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Uranium 235 posted:

on PLTR? it's going up imo, but i don't have any

I have 100 now and will most likely get assigned 300 more tomorrow and I'll likely just sell pretty far OTM weekly calls to gain some extra. PLTR always has good premiums.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Tortilla Maker posted:

I use more than one. I use Webull for overall usability and Fidelity for some extras, like trading certain stocks you can't trade on Weebull, and to make sure that if one broker is hosed at that moment I can use the other. It's probably better to just use one, but some of their data visualization sucks. If you want to join webull you could always use my referral code, eh, eh?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Tortilla Maker posted:

I really like thinkorswim. The charts are really good, the active trader is very helpful for my short term style of intraday trading, options and futures trading are available if I want them, and thinkscript allows for some handy customizations. My biggest complaint is that the level 2 sucks compared to a lot of other platforms.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

ARTPUP posted:

Thanks for this recommendation. I looked him up and checked out his latest piece and it seems pretty well thought out and in depth. I look forward to reading more even if it is a little frightening.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Red posted:

This is key; if nothing else, an IRA is a good treasure chest if you leave your job and want to dump your 401k (if you change jobs a lot, it may be too complex managing like 8 401ks) - just note you pay taxes now on that rollover. But you should be putting something into an IRA; better to do at least a little now than hitting the wall on your limits when you try to catch up in your 50s.

Just wanted to catch this post from a couple pages back.

You can roll over a normal 401(k) into a Traditional IRA and you will pay no taxes on that transaction.

If you roll over a normal 401(k) into a Roth IRA, that is a conversion from a defer-tax-till-later tax advantaged arrangement to a pay-tax-up-front tax arrangement, so you gotta... pay tax up front.

There a couple of reasons why you might want to do that: 1) you may be keeping your Traditional-IRA space empty on purpose in order to allow you to perform the backdoor Roth dance without paying taxes; or 2) you may be having a very low income year and want to make this conversion at a moment when the taxes you pay on it will be lower.

Many of us try to have a balance of pay-up-front and pay-later tax advantaged accounts. This acts as a hedge against tax policy risk: that is, taxes might go up in the future, so if I defer all my taxes till when I'm taking withdrawals in retirement, I risk winding up paying more tax than if I pay all my taxes now: but, vice-versa, maybe tax rates will be lower for me then, in which case it will be better if I defer. If I'm neutral on my prediction of tax rates, I should try to do some of one and some of the other.

I should also note here, for anyone not clear on this, that in both the pay-up-front and the pay-later, you are still getting a huge tax advantage. That's because in a non-tax-advantaged account -say, your stock brokerage account - you paid taxes on your income, up front, and then you also pay taxes on your capital gains, later. So that's an up-front and later tax situation.

This is why everyone should max their tax advantaged savings space before loving around with stocks in a regular brokerage account. If you're an American and you're not doing that, you are paying more taxes than you have to. Why would you do that?

Finally, for those of you who mentioned the income limits on Roth IRAs, please google "backdoor Roth" and then also google "mega backdoor Roth".

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1362412238326423560

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Pillowpants posted:

I don't think so? Motley Fool's whole gimmick is basically being the long term investing thread but with more stock picking.

Unless you mean Mauldin. Yeah, he's a hardcore bear.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

Leperflesh posted:

rollover stuff

Dumb question; I've been unemployed for over a year and it dawned on me with your post that now is the time to roll over a meager old 401k into a roth IRA. Can I still do that now for 2020 tax year or is the grace period only for contributions and not rollovers?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

RTX 3060 will launch with a driver that limits the hash rate for mining by 50% to ensure they land in the hands of players NVIDIA can sell the same chips as CMPs for a 500% markup.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston
I can't remeber what the catalyst for NDRA was ment to be, was it some kind of approval from the FDA that supposedly is imminent? I put a bit of money in to it based on the discussions in this thread but then kind of forgot about it and was reminded just now when I reviewed my portfolio. I have no intention on selling anytime soon, just curious about what time frame we're talking about here.

e: the notes in my spreadsheet are literally "long term, goons say yass". great dd there

Churchill fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 19, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That's basically it, but either I've missed when it's supposed to be or it's just a rumor that it's "imminent". Also curious about any time frame that might exist.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

the benzinga newswire is now publishing the top 20 trending stocks on wsb each morning by linking swaggy:

quote:

February 19, 2021 08:53 AM ET (BZ Newswire) -- Trading Ideas
Data from https://swaggystocks.com/dashboard/wallstreetbets/ticker-sentiment

Palantir (PLTR)
GameStop (GME)
Riot Blockchain (RIOT)
Apple (AAPL)
Tesla (TSLA)
AMC Entertainment (AMC)
BlackBerry (BB)
Sundial Growers (SNDL)
Aphria (APHA)
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)
Plug Power (PLUG)
NIO (NIO)
iShares Global Clean Energy ETF(ICLN)
Tilray (TLRY)
Corsair Gaming (CRSR)
Ebang International (EBON)
Amazon (AMZN)
QuantumScape (QS)
Marathon Patent Group (MARA)
Walmart (WMT)

that news feed goes to every trader and investment house in the world. coupled with citadel saying they have an entire data science team tasked to reddit, and well, nobody is getting edge vs wall st anymore on momentum trades.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

karoshi posted:

RTX 3060 will launch with a driver that limits the hash rate for mining by 50% to ensure they land in the hands of players NVIDIA can sell the same chips as CMPs for a 500% markup. NVIDIA can siphon off an even bigger slice of mining revenue by DMCA'ing the poo poo out of everyone who hacks the driver to uncap hashrates

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Leperflesh posted:

Just wanted to catch this post from a couple pages back.

You can roll over a normal 401(k) into a Traditional IRA and you will pay no taxes on that transaction.

If you roll over a normal 401(k) into a Roth IRA, that is a conversion from a defer-tax-till-later tax advantaged arrangement to a pay-tax-up-front tax arrangement, so you gotta... pay tax up front.

There a couple of reasons why you might want to do that: 1) you may be keeping your Traditional-IRA space empty on purpose in order to allow you to perform the backdoor Roth dance without paying taxes; or 2) you may be having a very low income year and want to make this conversion at a moment when the taxes you pay on it will be lower.

Many of us try to have a balance of pay-up-front and pay-later tax advantaged accounts. This acts as a hedge against tax policy risk: that is, taxes might go up in the future, so if I defer all my taxes till when I'm taking withdrawals in retirement, I risk winding up paying more tax than if I pay all my taxes now: but, vice-versa, maybe tax rates will be lower for me then, in which case it will be better if I defer. If I'm neutral on my prediction of tax rates, I should try to do some of one and some of the other.

I should also note here, for anyone not clear on this, that in both the pay-up-front and the pay-later, you are still getting a huge tax advantage. That's because in a non-tax-advantaged account -say, your stock brokerage account - you paid taxes on your income, up front, and then you also pay taxes on your capital gains, later. So that's an up-front and later tax situation.

This is why everyone should max their tax advantaged savings space before loving around with stocks in a regular brokerage account. If you're an American and you're not doing that, you are paying more taxes than you have to. Why would you do that?

Finally, for those of you who mentioned the income limits on Roth IRAs, please google "backdoor Roth" and then also google "mega backdoor Roth".

Yes! Thank you for the clarification! And everyone should have an IRA!

Yomofo717
Nov 1, 2020
I think today is a good day to buy PLTR. My friend suggested waiting till around 11:00-12:00 to buy instead of 1st thing in the morning. He claims that stocks usually go up 1st thing in the morning when the markets open, but around mid day, people go to lunch and volume goes down and so does the price. Then there's usually a 2nd wind late in the day. Any truth to this?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Leperflesh posted:

How am I ever gonna go to the moon with all this consarned responsibility

For real though I don't feel comfortable doing more than allocating to small/med/large cap, international, and bond index funds (or just target retirement funds) in my retirement vehicles. People who trade individual stocks in their retirement accounts are brave as hell but it can go really badly

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I picked up 10 2/26 $25p on Monday and I think today will be a good day. I'm sure the price will rebound next week but I don't understand why anyone would buy between the dip on earnings Monday and the lockup expiring. But, hell, lots of institutions and Cathie did so I'm probably the sucker here.

Closed these this morning for half the profit I turned down yesterday. Womp womp.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Yomofo717 posted:

I think today is a good day to buy PLTR. My friend suggested waiting till around 11:00-12:00 to buy instead of 1st thing in the morning. He claims that stocks usually go up 1st thing in the morning when the markets open, but around mid day, people go to lunch and volume goes down and so does the price. Then there's usually a 2nd wind late in the day. Any truth to this?

If he actually believed this he would just set up a bunch of automations to sell a whole market index every day in the morning when stocks go up and buy at 11:30 when they go down. Sure, some days it wouldn’t follow the pattern, but on average he would make bank.

He is doing this and is a millionaire right?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The market wants to crash, but it doesn't know where it's crashing from. So the midnight machine can just laser beam the number up 45 degrees to build a nice buffer.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Yomofo717 posted:

I don’t have the guts to trade real futures contracts on it but I’ve been throwing 2-3 micros at it most days and my observation would be that you have no idea what’s going on from 9:30-10:30 or 2:00-close. 10:30-11:30 usually reverses the morning trend but not a sure thing. 11:30-2:00 is almost always a grind up so I buy at 11:29 and sell a little before 2:00. No stop losses and don’t look at what’s happening in the interim because you’ll panic sell. On days I’ve traded this it’s only not worked once. I wanted to put this in a spreadsheet or something before I posted it but now you’ve brought it up.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
everything is eating its own rear end for day 2

Yomofo717
Nov 1, 2020

Elysium posted:

If he actually believed this he would just set up a bunch of automations to sell a whole market index every day in the morning when stocks go up and buy at 11:30 when they go down. Sure, some days it wouldn’t follow the pattern, but on average he would make bank.

Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking too. Thanks.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bows1 posted:

everything is eating its own rear end for day 2

Nope just NDRA...because of course it is.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Mornings are for getting OUT of your very risky picks that somehow went up! I don't buy till I see how the day is shaking out. But 3-4PM is know as Power Hour that is where the moves happen!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Quetzadilla posted:

Dumb question; I've been unemployed for over a year and it dawned on me with your post that now is the time to roll over a meager old 401k into a roth IRA. Can I still do that now for 2020 tax year or is the grace period only for contributions and not rollovers?

If you're asking if you can roll over 401k funds from your employer's plan to your own IRA, or your new job's 401k, that period is 60 days.

This article summarizes your options pretty well: https://www.thebalance.com/where-should-i-put-this-401-k-2894172

Me, personally, I would always dump it into an IRA; your former employer may change 401k plans (which you have no control over! you would just get a letter/email notifying you, and if you changed addresses and didn't update your contact info in your 401k info, you might miss it!), or, if you change jobs several times in your life, you may want to avoid several different 401k plans, and try to combine them to maximize interest in an IRA.

And, again, one of the reasons to have an IRA is to avoid the step of creating/buying one when you have a short time period as it is to decide what to do with a 401k during one of the most chaotic periods in your life (leaving a job/starting a new job).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Elysium posted:

I need to send this post to my friend, it concerns his relationship with his barber/weed dealer/stock guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My long CCL calls are green for the first time since like November. Kinda surprised, it was really starting to feel like a dud.