Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's definitely a common connotation to the word salad implying vegetables and definitely not some kind of concentrated caloric slurry. A connotation not shared in German because it's another fuckin' language.

Because the liquid component is not a core defining aspect of the dish.

Potato salad
Tuna salad
Chicken salad
Pasta salad

These are not crazy obscure dishes to anyone but goons being performatively weird about mayonnaise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And crab salad and shrimp salad, yummy 😋

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

fizzymercy posted:

Pizza is a salad.

I just had some pizza with rocket on top, that definitely makes it a salad.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

I just had some pizza with rocket on top, that definitely makes it a salad.

Sounds like a delicious launch

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
pizza salad is good

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Stir fry is a salad!

Good morning!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Paladinus posted:

Salad is... waking up to find he's not a dream.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
An absolute staple of Russian cuisine from 15 years ago.

Brother Bear's Honey

quote:

for cheeseburgers i buy premade buns and chicken patties. but everything else i make myself! and of course the highlight of my dish is my special sauce brother bear's honey, as i call it

cut the bun in half, spread some mayonnaise (to percolate it) and put it aside. fry the patties until ready, if they are too thick cut in half, take a slice of tomato, onion, processed cheese (i like the one with bacon) and ketchup or mustard whatever you like more. this is our filling for the bun

on to the sauce - take a bowl and mix chocolate butter, grated hardboiled egg yokes, dijon mustard (to make it spicy) and finely chopped cashews, mix it until homogeneous))

generously pour the sauce on the cheeseburger and put it in the oven for 15-20 minutes!!

bon appetite!
husband loves it with beer, and kids love it on its own

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Mayo Percolated Buns is my lo-fi indie band

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm getting the faintest of relations to mole poblano, so... maybe?

Like, the faintest. Just one step above nothing in common at all.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm getting the faintest of relations to mole poblano, so... maybe?

Like, the faintest. Just one step above nothing in common at all.

Actually, it's kind of amazing that that lady managed to independently come up with something even vaguely similar.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
If the kids don't drink their beer, how will they grow up strong like Brother Bear?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Someone once showed me their prized family recipe for "Wood Tick Salad." I posted it in the old thread but

quote:

quote:

1 cup of wheat

1 – 14 oz. can of crushed pineapple with juice

1 – 4 oz. pkg. of vanilla instant pudding

1 – 8 oz. pkg of cream cheese

1 large container of Cool Whip

Soak the wheat overnight. Strain the wheat. Mix everything together. Chill for 6 hours.

Salad

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
"Wood tick"?????

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sisal Two-Step posted:

"Wood tick"?????

Yep. I guess they decided to make it more appetizing by giving it a name evocative of a bowl of parasitic bugs.

I wish I were making this up.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
What did they mean by “wheat” there? Wheat berries?

Not that it would make a difference, really.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume, like, grains? Like you might do spelt or other grains soaked overnight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AlbieQuirky posted:

What did they mean by “wheat” there? Wheat berries?

Not that it would make a difference, really.

That's my interpretation of it. I didn't ask follow-up questions of the recipe.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Potato salad
Tuna salad
Chicken salad
Pasta salad

These are not crazy obscure dishes to anyone but goons being performatively weird about mayonnaise

I think the issue might be the use of salad by itself.

"I'm going to have a salad for lunch" (in American English) implies green stuff, rather than a bowl of (eg) tuna with mayo.

all these other things are salads, but wouldn't be referred to as just salad without the appropriate modifier. kind of like how we say pickles to mean pickled cucumbers and not eg pickled eggs.

other languages might not have that connotation.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Potato salad
Tuna salad
Chicken salad
Pasta salad

Note how all of those have qualifiers as part of the name because while they have salad in the name, they are clearly a different genre of dish from normal salad, and the names are more colloquialism than a grand redefinition of the term. Much like how "pennsylvania dutch" as a qualifier indicates people who have nothing to do with the Netherlands, or how "baking soda" isn't something that you drink out of a can.

If you toss in some chicken with lettuce and tomatoes and croutons, it's still definitely not the same substance as "chicken salad" which has different properties. On a restaurant menu, one's under the "salad" section while the other's under "sides". They have different places in the food world with different nutritional properties.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh god someone discovered chefkoch. All is lost.

Might be worth pointing out to save the face of the nation maybe a little bit, the actual recipes do call for you to fry up your own ground beef, make a sauce etc. i.e. it isn't just "go to McDonald's get six Big Macs put in bowl salt pepepr; in it"

Facebook Aunt posted:

At least if you start with big macs you know it is not a raw.

lmao

CommonShore posted:

Yep. I guess they decided to make it more appetizing by giving it a name evocative of a bowl of parasitic bugs.

I wish I were making this up.

i'm wondering if it was meant to describe the look of the results as with this outdated definition of "tick" to mean

quote:

Definition of tick (Entry 4 of 5)
1: the fabric case of a mattress, pillow, or bolster
also : a mattress consisting of a tick and its filling

did it look like it was encased in woodchips/shards? i must know!!!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
When you eat a dish with soaked wheat or other grains, for added fun imagine that each individual grain that rolls over your tongue is a huge tick, nice and fat and ready to burst as soon as you bite into it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Note how all of those have qualifiers as part of the name because while they have salad in the name, they are clearly a different genre of dish from normal salad, and the names are more colloquialism than a grand redefinition of the term. Much like how "pennsylvania dutch" as a qualifier indicates people who have nothing to do with the Netherlands, or how "baking soda" isn't something that you drink out of a can.

If you toss in some chicken with lettuce and tomatoes and croutons, it's still definitely not the same substance as "chicken salad" which has different properties. On a restaurant menu, one's under the "salad" section while the other's under "sides". They have different places in the food world with different nutritional properties.

But that conceit falls apart if you ask for, say, a chili dog salad.

Not a mayo in sight.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ultimate Mango posted:

I once had a Russian salad that was just a large pile of pink mayo on a serving platter.

It was meant for the whole table, not just me.

Nobody even touched it.

salad rules aside, does this count as "having" a salad or merely "being near" a salad

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Elviscat posted:

But that conceit falls apart if you ask for, say, a chili dog salad.

Not a mayo in sight.

that style of honey mustard dressing is usually mayo based lol

Edit: holy poo poo that's cheese sauce look at how stupid I am

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I think the Earth is a salad

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Johnny Truant posted:

I think the Earth is a salad

Always has been.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

LordSaturn posted:

salad rules aside, does this count as "having" a salad or merely "being near" a salad

peripheral salad exposure

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

rydiafan posted:

You eat your chili room temperature or chilled?

wikipedia posted:

though some can be served warm

Now you could make the argument that 'hot' is not 'warm', but that just means that if you leave a chili to cool a while it becomes a salad.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
all foods become a salad if you let them sit long enough

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

As Carl Sagan once said, we are made of saladstuff.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Garfield corndog for your consideration

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

steinrokkan posted:

When you eat a dish with soaked wheat or other grains, for added fun imagine that each individual grain that rolls over your tongue is a huge tick, nice and fat and ready to burst as soon as you bite into it.

https://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1988/11/15

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So, follow me here

The Earth is a salad
Humans are a part of that salad
That means humans are an ingredient
Ingredients are food
Ergo, humans are food

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Aardvark! posted:

all foods become a salad if you let them sit long enough
If a jello salad sits out long enough to melt and liquify, does that turn it into soup?

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

So, follow me here

The Earth is a salad
Humans are a part of that salad
That means humans are an ingredient
Ingredients are food
Ergo, humans are food

You can't beat a good Donner kebab

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Man, I haven't had bubble tea with those popping pearls in ages.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
just remembered I had this golden story lying around my Imgur account;

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
That's called "danger pudding" in my household. I didn't really like it, too much of a butterscotch flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Note how all of those have qualifiers as part of the name because while they have salad in the name, they are clearly a different genre of dish from normal salad, and the names are more colloquialism than a grand redefinition of the term
"salad" (earlier, "sallet") as "a bunch of poo poo mixed together" as a definition PRE-DATES the concept of salad as meaning lettuce in a bowl by several hundred years, so the "redefinition" is actually the one you're defending, not the one you're arguing against